PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the Rebs might be losing more recruits...

dawgclub99
01-14-2014, 02:34 PM
A 4 star LB out of GA is looking hard at Indiana and UK (LMAO) and it is still looking worse for Speaks. God help em.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Rod Taylor got a 5th star today on 247. I know the guy may have good measurables, but has anyone really seen him play?

Is Taylor even the best player on his team?

dawgclub99
01-14-2014, 02:40 PM
I watched the UA game. He looked weak to me. Pushed around a lot. Speaks looks much better IMHO.

HancockCountyDog
01-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Rod Taylor got a 5th star today on 247. I know the guy may have good measurables, but has anyone really seen him play?

I would take Speaks over Taylor, but its close. Taylor is a good player. There is a lot of fluff on the bear commit list - Taylor ain't one of them. Saban wanted Taylor, and the guys that cover the UA game say that Taylor played well in practice. We all know the bears are going to win signing day, its gameday they have a problem with.

dawgclub99
01-14-2014, 02:48 PM
I would take Speaks over Taylor, but its close. Taylor is a good player. There is a lot of fluff on the bear commit list - Taylor ain't one of them. Saban wanted Taylor, and the guys that cover the UA game say that Taylor played well in practice. We all know the bears are going to win signing day, its gameday they have a problem with.

Signing day wont be very good for them either.

HancockCountyDog
01-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Signing day wont be very good for them either.

I hope you are right - last year after about 20 minutes I turned ESPN off. It was a ****ing circle jerk for the bears for about 10 hours. It was brutal.

Saltydog
01-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Taylor or Epps...........I hope they lose them all but when they get desperate they put on the full court press and spare no expense, if you know what I mean.........

HancockCountyDog
01-14-2014, 03:41 PM
Taylor or Epps...........I hope they lose them all but when they get desperate they put on the full court press and spare no expense, if you know what I mean.........

They aren't losing Epps - you know how I know? Rosey has been calling him slow - translate that to = HE IS GOING TO THE BEARS;

I keep hearing that Speaks to LSU is a major, major concern for the bears.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2014, 03:56 PM
Is Taylor still an academic concern, or did we give up on that and decide the Rebs would get him in somehow?

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Even if they lose Speaks their recruiting class is still a good bit better than ours.

spiritual_machine2005
01-14-2014, 04:19 PM
My only concern with the bears is if they decide to offer Rawlings and he flips. Its been said many times he is from an Ole Miss leaning family, and a offer from them would be hard to turn down, even if it is in the last hour. I hope he sticks with the school that believed in him from the start. We need quality Olinemen from high school.

BeastMan
01-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Even if they lose Speaks their recruiting class is still a good bit better than ours.

Always is

UMCDawg16
01-14-2014, 04:21 PM

And your point is?????? They win the state's "recruiting championship" every year and still do less with "more". We own them and they know it. We are getting better and better talent every year though. Noone cares about their payed for recruiting championships full of a bunch of players who don't fit their system and don't want to be there.

Dawg61
01-14-2014, 04:33 PM
I hope you are right - last year after about 20 minutes I turned ESPN off. It was a ****ing circle jerk for the bears for about 10 hours. It was brutal.

ESPNU was ****ing Ole Miss TV on NSD last year. It was disgusting to watch. Those ****ers had live cameras set up in the coaches room at Ole Miss to show the Freezus Klan celebrate after every signee sent in papers or announced on tv. The only good thing that they showed was the new term "University of Ole Miss" got created that day.

EMDawg
01-14-2014, 04:41 PM

I've watched him play from the sideline twice this past year. Once with a guy that played TE for a SEC school. He laughed when I told him that he was ranked the #1 player in the state. He looked soft without a mean streak and got beat regularly by faster, smaller players.

Todd4State
01-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Well, let's look at this objectively. First of all- Ole Miss's class should be better than ours simply because we had a small amount of scholarship seniors, which is limiting our numbers before this class even started.

That said, guys that Ole Miss has right now that I would want- Rod Taylor, Speaks, Epps, and Pack.

Guys that we have that Ole Miss would like to have- Rawlings, Graham, Jesse Jackson, Aeries Williams, Gerri Green, Staley, and Brandon Bryant. If we flip Cory Thomas- you can add him too. I like the potential of Rayford, Lashard Durr, Grant Harris if he chooses us which I think he will, and Stallings if he chooses us which I also think he will.

So, if you compare the two just going strictly on guys that both would like to have and assuming everything stays the same I am very happy with what we have done and you could make a strong argument that our class as it is right now is better than theirs even though it really shouldn't be because of the scholarship numbers. If they lose Speaks and Taylor, it would be catastrophic to their class.

Todd4State
01-14-2014, 04:47 PM
My only concern with the bears is if they decide to offer Rawlings and he flips. Its been said many times he is from an Ole Miss leaning family, and a offer from them would be hard to turn down, even if it is in the last hour. I hope he sticks with the school that believed in him from the start. We need quality Olinemen from high school.

Why do people keep bringing this up? We've had so far by my count- Paul, Rosebowl, Sean Rawlings father, and random posters on this board ALL say that there is nothing to worry about.

Todd4State
01-14-2014, 04:49 PM
I've watched him play from the sideline twice this past year. Once with a guy that played TE for a SEC school. He laughed when I told him that he was ranked the #1 player in the state. He looked soft without a mean streak and got beat regularly by faster, smaller players.

O-linemen are really hard to judge though. It seems to me like it all comes down to whether they have the feet, have a mean streak, and how they develop. If Anthony Munoz played football in Mississippi, I'd have a hard time rating him the number one guy in the state.

mic
01-14-2014, 04:50 PM

With that being said.. would you trade or recruiting class right now for theirs.? Even with Speeks..
I would not..

HancockCountyDog
01-14-2014, 05:07 PM
I would take Hampton, Alvin Moore and the McDowell kid from LA off their hands in a heartbeat.

Other than that - I agree with you about the classes being fairly equal.

camsu
01-14-2014, 05:10 PM
We are getting our TE and we are recruiting several for next yr, so Epps staying with OM does not bother me at all. Speaks would be a great get so I hope he goes to LSU and we get Thomas. Everyone is back and forth on Taylor, so the question will be can OM develop his talent? So far they have not demo they can do that. We end up with some very good OL and they will develop. Pack would have been a good get but not to be. We have a very good class and next will be a great class when we win in Oxford again.

quickstrike2
01-14-2014, 05:13 PM
We aren't going to beat the bears in recruiting. They play the game, preach it, and close better than we do. However, we are recruiting better than we have and are building good depth. We just have to get solid player that fit our needs and let them develop with good coaching. I would love to have the star players, but we just do not get many of them here, so we need good hardworking kids.

CadaverDawg
01-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Sean Rawlings' dad said it best...we aren't recruiting stars, we're recruiting players, people, and needs. How many OM players make their first decent tackle of the game in a blowout loss and jump up land sharking and dancing around the field like they just Ray Lewis'd a guy? It is all about "ME" with Ole miss. The reason we don't have a lot of hat ceremonies, flipping our own croots, and recruits talking it up on twitter, is because most of our recruits aren't all about themselves and anxious for attention. Keep giving me the hard working kids that know they are not bigger than the game or the program...and let OM take the kids that are insecure and have to feel constant attention.

Disagree with me? Well, 4 out 5 Egg Bowls agrees with me. I'll take that evidence that we're recruiting just fine. And by the looks of our player interviews, and the development of guys like Benny Brown, Calhoun, Chris Jones, etc, etc, etc,etc....we are getting high character guys with good talent and huge upside, that are willing to work and are turning in to 4 and 5 star talent by the time they are RS freshmen and Sophs

dawgclub99
01-14-2014, 06:13 PM
I would take Hampton, Alvin Moore and the McDowell kid from LA off their hands in a heartbeat.

Even Hampton is very overated . Looked bad at the All-star game, did not show at all at the Army Bowl and I have heard that Bama backed off because they wanted Hootie Jones more. Very over-rated.

Todd4State
01-14-2014, 06:17 PM

I forgot about Hampton. And I was very close to adding the Moore twins.

Todd4State
01-14-2014, 06:20 PM
We are getting our TE and we are recruiting several for next yr, so Epps staying with OM does not bother me at all. Speaks would be a great get so I hope he goes to LSU and we get Thomas. Everyone is back and forth on Taylor, so the question will be can OM develop his talent? So far they have not demo they can do that. We end up with some very good OL and they will develop. Pack would have been a good get but not to be. We have a very good class and next will be a great class when we win in Oxford again.

The big issue with Taylor is they aren't going to redshirt him. That means right off the bat he loses a year of development- and that's not good for him in the short or long run.

I'm happy with Hutcherson, but I always like guys that are going to be in the program 4-5 years.

Todd4State
01-14-2014, 06:24 PM
We aren't going to beat the bears in recruiting. They play the game, preach it, and close better than we do. However, we are recruiting better than we have and are building good depth. We just have to get solid player that fit our needs and let them develop with good coaching. I would love to have the star players, but we just do not get many of them here, so we need good hardworking kids.

See- to me, developing players once they get to campus is part of recruiting. If you had Alabama's class but then they had a coach that just let them fart around because they were superstars in high school- there's no way that they are going to reach their full potential of their evaluation coming out of high school. I think roster evaluation is also part of it. What good are 10 five star slot WR's if you have 0 o-linemen?

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2014, 06:44 PM
Even Hampton is very overated . Looked bad at the All-star game, did not show at all at the Army Bowl and I have heard that Bama backed off because they wanted Hootie Jones more. Very over-rated.

Hampton doesn't have instincts. That is why he disappears on film.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
01-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Disagree with me? Well, 4 out 5 Egg Bowls agrees with me. I'll take that evidence that we're recruiting just fine. And by the looks of our player interviews, and the development of guys like Benny Brown, Calhoun, Chris Jones, etc, etc, etc,etc....we are getting high character guys with good talent and huge upside, that are willing to work and are turning in to 4 and 5 star talent by the time they are RS freshmen and Sophs[/QUOTE]

This.

Finished lower in February 4/5 years, but won 4/5 in November. They had countless defections during the Nutt years. Their one stud in the 2012 class was 5-star Channing Ward. He's awesome on special teams**. They obviously got some talent last year, but already had one defection (4-star Christian Morgan), one that looks to be a bust (4-star JUCO Lavon Hooks - who Freeze cried over), one who should just stick with track (4-star Kailo Moore), and one who looks injury prone (5-star Laremy Tunsil). I'm not homeriffic enough to think that we don't have busts too (Damien Robinson, Quay - unless he can straighten up) or that we are the only team to develop 2-3 stars into studs (Banks, Calhoun, McKinney, etc.), but just seems like we find ways to do more with less and they do less with more. I'd like to see an updated ranking at the end of each season to factor in attrition, development, etc. Would be much different than the February ones.

Goat Holder
01-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Disagree with me? Well, 4 out 5 Egg Bowls agrees with me. I'll take that evidence that we're recruiting just fine.

I agree with you in theory. But we do not need to forget 2012. The programs have comparable talent, so we need to take the next step to break away from them. We cannot have mishaps like C.J. Johnson and Jermaine Whitehead anymore. Coaches have to handle things better than that. And the next time we have a chance at a Cam Newton, we have to bring it home. MAJOR f*ck-ups in the Mullen tenure that often get overlooked for X and O shit.

We all know about Newton. I'd be willing to bet that there would have been a HUGE difference in the 2012 Egg Bowl had Johnson been on OUR roster. He kicked our ass all game. And he's an MSU type guy....a swagger guy that we've missed since Dixon left.

dawgclub99
01-15-2014, 11:58 AM
We got outbid for both Johnson and Newton. Newton especially wanted to be a Dawg.

Coach34
01-15-2014, 12:20 PM
I agree with you in theory. But we do not need to forget 2012. The programs have comparable talent, so we need to take the next step to break away from them. We cannot have mishaps like C.J. Johnson and Jermaine Whitehead anymore. Coaches have to handle things better than that. And the next time we have a chance at a Cam Newton, we have to bring it home. MAJOR f*ck-ups in the Mullen tenure that often get overlooked for X and O shit.

We all know about Newton. I'd be willing to bet that there would have been a HUGE difference in the 2012 Egg Bowl had Johnson been on OUR roster. He kicked our ass all game. And he's an MSU type guy....a swagger guy that we've missed since Dixon left.

2012 happened because we didnt have a QB to fit the system and a below par DL. That is it.
2013 we got Russell out of the QB position and the DL got better- and so did we.

Brahmabull
01-15-2014, 12:23 PM
I watched Taylor play basketball last night for Callaway. My impressions were is very athletic for his size, looks like he rarely if ever lifts weights, is bad out of shape, sloppy looking, seemed to have an outgoing personality (after making a basket and the foul, he flexed his arms like he was showing off muscles), constantly clapping and interacting with teammates. I believe he is in for a rude awakening when he gets in a college program b/c from looks alone it appears he has never worked really hard on his body and getting into shape.

Goat Holder
01-15-2014, 12:23 PM
Disagree on the Russell and QB deal, no need to re-hash that though. Johnson would have helped with that DL problem too. That's the point.

Goat Holder
01-15-2014, 12:25 PM
That's a simplistic way of looking at things.

Everybody is throwing a little money around, so saying 'we got outbid' is simply ignorant. We got out-recruited in general. We 'messed it up' per se and it got weird. So they both went their separate ways.

Coach34
01-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Disagree on the Russell and QB deal, no need to re-hash that though. Johnson would have helped with that DL problem too. That's the point.

You can disagree all you want about QB- but it's not even debatable at this point

Johnson would have helped some on the DL- but we had some serious problems at DT also.

Goat Holder
01-15-2014, 12:38 PM
You can disagree all you want about QB- but it's not even debatable at this point

You say this, but then say this:

Johnson would have helped some on the DL- but we had some serious problems at DT also.

...and you don't even realize your contradiction. Much of Russell's struggles that game were due to Johnson's disruption. Subtract him out of the Ole Miss equation and add him to ours and you help BOTH causes.

It is VERY debatable, but I realize you have to get the last word. Have at it. This thread isn't about that.

RougeDawg
01-15-2014, 12:42 PM
We got outbid for both Johnson and Newton. Newton especially wanted to be a Dawg.

Easy to outbid a non bidder.

FriendlyReb
01-15-2014, 01:07 PM
I think Brandon Bryant is actually visiting us the weekend of the 24th....

Saltydog
01-15-2014, 01:10 PM
chance of landing him...........

hailmari
01-15-2014, 01:22 PM
He tweeted last night that he isn't taking other visits. I could be off on that but it recall seeing Paul Jones retweeted it.

FriendlyReb
01-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Yeah I don't think our chances are that good at all. Just saw where a few people thought he cancelled his visit and I read this morning he was scheduled to come.

Looks like there won't be as much flipping between the 2 schools this year. I don't expect to flip any of y'all's this go around except for maybe Rawlings if we offer. But that's just a decent possibility

FriendlyReb
01-15-2014, 01:24 PM
McCready could be a little behind then, he just wrote that he was taking it in the recruiting nuggets this morning, but I guess we'll see

FriendlyReb
01-16-2014, 12:47 AM
David Johnson put Aeris Williams on the list for expected visitor list for the 24th as well.

Have y'all heard anything on him visiting or not?

CadaverDawg
01-16-2014, 01:12 AM
David Johnson put Aeris Williams on the list for expected visitor list for the 24th as well.

Have y'all heard anything on him visiting or not?

Why are you here? You guys aren't flipping anybody from us, especially not Aeris Williams. Cool stories though, bro

FriendlyReb
01-16-2014, 01:40 AM
I wasn't trolling cool guy. That was a serious question. Have y'all heard if he's visiting us or not? I didn't even expect him to visit

ScoobaDawg
01-16-2014, 01:44 AM
Don't expect a response from him...

CadaverDawg
01-16-2014, 01:44 AM
I wasn't trolling cool guy. That was a serious question. Have y'all heard if he's visiting us or not? I didn't even expect him to visit

"Cool guy"?

No, can you not find out on your boards who is visiting your school?

If I wanted accurate info on whether _____ recruit was visiting MSU this weekend, I sure as hell wouldn't go to an OM board to find out. Sorry if I don't think you have great intentions over here...especially this time of year. I come here to get away from you people. All of you.

Political Hack
01-16-2014, 07:08 AM
is was nice to make your acquatance friendly.