PDA

View Full Version : OT: DirecTV drops The Weather Channel

TheRef
01-14-2014, 12:24 AM
The Weather Channel and DirecTV could not come to terms in their contract negotiations on price to broadcast. DirecTV said that it would drop the Weather Channel if the price wasn't dropped to a lower number. TWC called their bluff, too bad it wasn't a bluff. DirecTV replaced TWC with WeatherNation at midnight in that channel slot and TWC is no longer on the lineup. In my opinion, I like WeatherNation better because of the official graphics they use from NWS and the no nonsense programming that is on there (24/7 weather). I'm hearing mixed reviews on whether or not TWC should be brought back in to the DirecTV lineup. I say give it a few weeks and see how the public responds to it. Yeah you may not have the fancy graphics or as good looking of women, but you'll get more Meteorological background and programming than previously offered. Just my opinion, curious to hear y'alls.

Note to mods: I understand if you want to move this to the OT board, I don't have access to it but I figured this would be a fair enough forum to talk about it for now.

bully99
01-14-2014, 12:31 AM
Accuweather announced today they're starting their own weather network later in the year. TWC got so political I don't watch it anymore. Too many places to get weather today.

CadaverDawg
01-14-2014, 12:32 AM
I'm with UVerse, but I can't stand all of the shit that comes on TWC these days. Every time I want to see the weather, some show likeStorm Stories is on and I end up having to go online to get an extended forecast.

It's not a huge deal, but I used to rely on TWC a good bit..not anymore though. Wouldn't bother me if they swapped it out with the one you're talking about. Just my opinion

nsvltndog
01-14-2014, 12:43 AM
Given they replaced with another weather site, the market will decide its fate.

I'll make it sports relevant....my gut tells me not to worry, but living out of region on Verizon FIOS, should I be worried about something like this happening with the SEC network and getting shut out? I guess a good comparison would be whether those of you in the Southeast get the Big 10 network? We've gotten it from day 1 in Northern Virginia, but I don't think I've ever watched a game on it.

starkvegasdawg
01-14-2014, 03:10 AM
I saw on my twitter feed yesterday where jim cantore was asking people to contact direct tv and complain. Many people tweeted him back (me included) saying that if they actually showed the weather they may consider complaining. Cantore responded back that they were listening to all the complaints. Who knows. This may serve to force them to no longer be the mtv of weather.

sbcmortgageman
01-14-2014, 05:17 AM
I have Direct TV. The irony here is that when the weather is bad my satellite goes out anyways.

Bucky Dog
01-14-2014, 06:50 AM
They are a weather channel! Not a tv station and I don't care to watch all of the other shit they put on, at least not during normal hours. I told my wife the other day it is like they are becoming like MTV. A music channel that doesn't play music.

DownwardDawg
01-14-2014, 07:01 AM
I'm glad they dropped it. I hope they keep it this way. I haven't checked out WeatherNation but they can't be as political the The Weather Channel.

rabbitthedawg
01-14-2014, 08:28 AM
Directv gave TWC some options in negotiations because of so much push back from the viewers. Seems TWC has weather programming only 40% of the time, the rest is dumb repeat shows, such as Highway Through Hell, etc. This new company taking TWC's place, Weathernationtv.com, is actually giving weather reports when you tune in. Not a bad thing for a "weather channel."

bully99
01-14-2014, 08:36 AM
Who needs TWC when we have
The Weather REF (TWR)!!!

M.Fillmore
01-14-2014, 09:14 AM
I haven't watched the Weather Channel in years. I get the weather from my phone and I track big storms on the NWS. I keep reading about how political the Weather Channel has become. How so? Pumping out Al Gore's global hot air? Pimping for Congressional funding for the NWS? What gives?

starkvegasdawg
01-14-2014, 09:28 AM
I haven't watched the Weather Channel in years. I get the weather from my phone and I track big storms on the NWS. I keep reading about how political the Weather Channel has become. How so? Pumping out Al Gore's global hot air? Pimping for Congressional funding for the NWS? What gives?

The were bought out by NBC so that was the start of their left leaning slant. They try to tie a lot of stuff to climate change or whatever the Gore Huggers call it these days.

I was reading an article on this earlier this morning and it was rather interesting. It was saying that Direct TV was getting a lot of complaints about TWC showing everything but the weather so they are the ones that created Weather Nation. When TWC contract came due they had all those complaints as ammunition to not grant the rate increase and tell Jim Cantore where he can stick it...and it wasn't in Stephanie Abrams. I bet after a while this all gets resolved and they come to an agreement but this may serve to bring TWC back to a reality and not think they are the only, or best, game in town and kill all the reality shows and get back to doing what they can do best.

Pollodawg
01-14-2014, 09:53 AM
I am not 80. I don't watch the Weather Chanel. I just come over here to ED and check out what the ref is saying.

codeDawg
01-14-2014, 10:11 AM
If your beef with TWC is that they talk about climate change and that they are "too political", you need to put your tin foil hat back on and just stick to your safe media options.

If it's crappy programming and a lack of real current weather information, then yeah, that's a problem.

bully99
01-14-2014, 10:19 AM
It's called the WEATHER Channel pal, If I want leftwing politics I'll watch NBC. Would you feel the same way if it had conservative politics. Give me the high, the low, and the humidity. Not Al Sharpton 's opinion.

codeDawg
01-14-2014, 10:36 AM
It's called the WEATHER Channel pal, If I want leftwing politics I'll watch NBC. Would you feel the same way if it had conservative politics. Give me the high, the low, and the humidity. Not Al Sharpton 's opinion.

I completely agree that I want my weather channel to have weather. I don't want left or right politics involved. I don't watch FOX News or CNBC because I really can't stand news trying to sell me their opinion.

What I hear is a bunch of crying about a channel that occasionally has someone with an option you might not agree with. Give me a break. Don't be so butt hurt. The mainstream media is just going to reflect popular opinion. Sometimes that is not going to line up with your own opinion. Get over it.

The majority of the world does not go around looking for political agendas in every persons expression. You labeled me as as a liberal because I said you were overly sensitive to TWC's programming. You have no idea what my political beliefs are. You shouldn't be so quick to judge, label, and isolate.

TheRef
01-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Here's what I had a problem with. When news came out that they might be dropped, they started a whole campaign bashing the WeatherNation network saying that if they take over, lives will be more at risk. What kind of meteorologist does that? I'll answer that for you, none. NBC Universal owns the Weather Channel. NBC had their on-air personalities do YouTube videos begging people to not let them be put off the air. It's halfway pathetic in my opinion. Also, some people may be annoyed by their political views that are shown on the station. I understand that. But when topics are brought up on air and everything is done live, it's very difficult to not let your personal views cut in. The main problem, as many here have stated, is that the Weather Channel was getting away from what brought them here (24/7 weather coverage). Now they are paying the price and hemmoraging money in the process. WeatherNation has multiple MSU graduates on air and is based out of Minnesota.

codeDawg
01-14-2014, 10:54 AM
Here's what I had a problem with. When news came out that they might be dropped, they started a whole campaign bashing the WeatherNation network saying that if they take over, lives will be more at risk. What kind of meteorologist does that? I'll answer that for you, none. NBC Universal owns the Weather Channel. NBC had their on-air personalities do YouTube videos begging people to not let them be put off the air. It's halfway pathetic in my opinion. Also, some people may be annoyed by their political views that are shown on the station. I understand that. But when topics are brought up on air and everything is done live, it's very difficult to not let your personal views cut in. The main problem, as many here have stated, is that the Weather Channel was getting away from what brought them here (24/7 weather coverage). Now they are paying the price and hemmoraging money in the process. WeatherNation has multiple MSU graduates on air and is based out of Minnesota.

That I can completely understand. TWC got caught trying to transition and grow a station, made bad content decisions, and ended up putting it into the crapper. They lost. Oh well. If WeatherNation has better content, great!

I just get sick of folks getting their feelings so hurt every time someone in the world doesn't agree with them and making it about left/right politics. Gets old.

Op4isabitch
01-14-2014, 12:37 PM
The girl on Weather Nation at the moment has a nice round pooper! If they sell tickets I'd like to ride on it.

I'm really liking this WeatherNationTV, I hope they don't bring the weather channel back, it had really gotten to the point wear it was unwatchable for me.