PDA

View Full Version : Bball game atmosphere

CJDAWG85
01-13-2014, 11:18 PM
I'm watching the Iowa St/Kansas game and Iowa State's students are jumping around screaming the whole game. I was at the game Saturday and our students were far from that. They've always been like that. If our student section would stand and jump around the whole game, the Hump would be insane. Aside from that, THIS or THAT is the dumbest shit I've ever seen. They need to do away with the woman with the mic that does all the activities during timeouts. There were times during the game Saturday during a timeout when you could hear a pin drop.

chef dixon
01-13-2014, 11:22 PM
I attended some games where a team of Kansas' caliber visited the hump (highly rated Florida, UK between 2006-2009ish) and the atmosphere was absolutely electric. If MSU was #8 in the nation and Kansas came to town, you better believe it will be rocking.

TheRef
01-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Here's the thing...students right now don't want to do that. If you want to do that, you are labeled weird and are told to sit down and shut up. I've had it happen to me many times. Also doesn't help when there are parents bringing their 12 year old kids into the student section and constantly complaining when they can't see because a few people in front of them want to stand and cheer the whole game. Eventually, after years of trying to get the student section to get up for a whole game you give up. I finally said 17 it.

To the This or That portion, I agree. It's silly, but marketing is having to pull out all the stops right now and are still failing.

Women being the mic-holders, not against it per se if they are the best ones for the job. There's only so much you can do when you have to read off of a cue card and be told what to do and how to do it.

God help our student section. I remember participating in Rick's Rowdies when we were on the sideline and had that whole side for the student section and it was rocking. Then came the split of the student section to opposite ends of the court. That was the ultimate demise of the student section. It hasn't been the same since.

drummerdawg
01-14-2014, 12:17 AM
I remember when the students would give the other team hell the whole time, even during warm ups. I was there Saturday and the students sat the whole time even while ole miss was doing their shoot around on the student side or even on in bounds plays. It's crazy because I remember Gary Irvin coming back to the hump after transfering to arkansas and doing warm ups with an iPod or CD player so he didn't have to hear the crap the students were giving him. And the students were on him whole game...good times.

CJDAWG85
01-14-2014, 12:37 AM
I'm not saying the student section hasn't ever been loud and the atmosphere electric, but it just seems like it's not cool to jump around and act crazy. I sat in the student section a couple of times and we got yelled at for being too loud. Dumbest shit ever.

TheRef
01-14-2014, 12:42 AM
but it just seems like it's not cool to jump around and act crazy. I sat in the student section a couple of times and we got yelled at for being too loud. Dumbest shit ever.

You are spot on. You know how during the opposing team lineups everyone stands up, turns around, and yells "SUCKS!" after every player's name? Well while the original Rick's Rowdies were around during Stansbury's last year as HC, we were approached by an MSU official asking us to refrain from doing so because it's disrespectful. We all nodded and said sure to his face then all gave a "WTF" look to each other when he walked off. I will not give out the name of who it was, but it is a fairly high-ranking MSU official. I believe his exact quote was "Will y'all please find something else to yell out at players as they are announced? It's childish to be yelling out sucks after every player. Thanks. Oh...and spread the word." After asking him what to yell out instead he replied, "Y'all can figure that out." That was the real WTF moment of the conversation and I was slightly appalled. You want the student section to be rowdy, but you want to put limitations on it? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Dawg61
01-14-2014, 12:48 AM
Have you ever been to Iowa in January? Being inside a warm basketball arena is literally the nicest place to be in all of Iowa right now. The crowd is so nuts because that's the ONLY thing they will do all week long besides freeze their ass off.

bully99
01-14-2014, 12:50 AM
Who moved the students behind the goals and split them up. The beloved Greg Byrne, same guy who paid for the jumbotron with endless commercials. And fired Hank Flick and replaced him with somebody worse. And.....

messageboardsuperhero
01-14-2014, 12:59 AM
Who moved the students behind the goals and split them up. The beloved Greg Byrne, same guy who paid for the jumbotron with endless commercials. And fired Hank Flick and replaced him with somebody worse. And.....

Yeah, you're right- Larry Templeton was so much better.**

bully99
01-14-2014, 01:09 AM
No, but I just don't understand the blind loyalty to Byrne when he screwed up on lots of things and then hightailed his ass out of Starkville less than two years as AD. He certainly wasn't loyal to MSU.

War Machine Dawg
01-14-2014, 01:38 AM
Here's the thing...students right now don't want to do that. If you want to do that, you are labeled weird and are told to sit down and shut up. I've had it happen to me many times. Also doesn't help when there are parents bringing their 12 year old kids into the student section and constantly complaining when they can't see because a few people in front of them want to stand and cheer the whole game. Eventually, after years of trying to get the student section to get up for a whole game you give up. I finally said 17 it.

To the This or That portion, I agree. It's silly, but marketing is having to pull out all the stops right now and are still failing.

Women being the mic-holders, not against it per se if they are the best ones for the job. There's only so much you can do when you have to read off of a cue card and be told what to do and how to do it.

God help our student section. I remember participating in Rick's Rowdies when we were on the sideline and had that whole side for the student section and it was rocking. Then came the split of the student section to opposite ends of the court. That was the ultimate demise of the student section. It hasn't been the same since.

Bingo. Splitting the student section was the worst move we ever made for the basketball atmosphere. It was the right move in terms of money, but it absolutely ruined the basketball atmosphere.

hailmari
01-14-2014, 01:42 AM
The Hump used to get crunk as hell.. I've never seen the constant jumping that Duke does or anything but we used to do a good job of yelling and getting involved. The UK game three or so years ago (John Wall's year) was a blast despite the ending.

Dawg61
01-14-2014, 02:19 AM
The Hump has seen many a great night. Joakim Noah, Al Horford and the Gators in the middle of their back to back NC called the Hump the toughest place to play in the SEC, Gary Ervin his first game back vs us, Demarcus Cousins throwing up the "call me" sign, all the so close games with UK, the night we clinched the SEC outright and cut down the nets. The Hump when packed is a great college atmosphere. I do think it's lost some intimidation since the seating was changed but we'll get it back when we field an NCAA team again.

TopDog58
01-14-2014, 02:51 AM
You are spot on. You know how during the opposing team lineups everyone stands up, turns around, and yells "SUCKS!" after every player's name? Well while the original Rick's Rowdies were around during Stansbury's last year as HC, we were approached by an MSU official asking us to refrain from doing so because it's disrespectful. We all nodded and said sure to his face then all gave a "WTF" look to each other when he walked off. I will not give out the name of who it was, but it is a fairly high-ranking MSU official. I believe his exact quote was "Will y'all please find something else to yell out at players as they are announced? It's childish to be yelling out sucks after every player. Thanks. Oh...and spread the word." After asking him what to yell out instead he replied, "Y'all can figure that out." That was the real WTF moment of the conversation and I was slightly appalled. You want the student section to be rowdy, but you want to put limitations on it? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Templeton used to do the same in the early to mid 90s. When the students would do that chant or something similar he would pace the sideline and glare at the student section.

Political Hack
01-14-2014, 08:30 AM
No, but I just don't understand the blind loyalty to Byrne when he screwed up on lots of things and then hightailed his ass out of Starkville less than two years as AD. He certainly wasn't loyal to MSU.

Competence > Loyalty

rabbitthedawg
01-14-2014, 08:31 AM
firing Stans...looks as if you haters are getting what you wished for.

bully99
01-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Boy, I bet that was intimidating, a stare from ole Lar himself. I was there during the Bob Boyd regime and the only time we came close to filling it up was when Kentucky came to town because they brought so many people. Those 40 to 35 games were sooooo exciting,,even though we had Jeff Malone, a great player.

Coach34
01-14-2014, 09:01 AM

yes we are- a basketball team that looks coached for a change

Coach34
01-14-2014, 09:08 AM
I'm proud to say I was part of the group that got the atmosphere in the Hump going. 1990 was when it really started getting rowdy and loud. Then when we ended up winning the SEC in 1991- that season really took off. We gave other teams Hell. We ended up having to sleep outside the Hump for the game with LSU in 91 to make sure we got a good seat. It was so loud that day I couldnt even hear I Seen It Dawg talking to me standing right beside me.

There definitely needs to be something done to make it better for the students

drummerdawg
01-14-2014, 09:35 AM

The band were the only ones participating in this Saturday

CJDAWG85
01-14-2014, 09:38 AM

Teams loaded with talent that aren't massively underachieving?

drummerdawg
01-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Saw on nafoom that some bears at the hump Saturday had a rebel flag blanket that was shown on TV, does anyone have a pic of that?

starkvegasdawg
01-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Back in the mid 90's when I was a student there the hump was ranked as one of the most hostile venues to play in. It wasn't just the student section then. It was the entire coliseum. I think even the concession vendors yelled. Our final four year I remember we were camping outside the hump to make sure we got a seat. The atmosphere in that place was so incredible I'm surprised there wasn't structural damage. Anybody that told someone to sit down and be quiet would have had their teeth kicked out and used for a noisemaker.

drunkernhelldawg
01-14-2014, 11:47 AM

I'm with you on this. He did some good things and he did some bad things. He rode us to the state line and dumped us for another horse. I say don't let the magnolia hit you in the ass. Others want to talk about great he is. Saben's a great coach, but he's not our coach. Byrne is not our AD.

quickstrike2
01-14-2014, 11:55 AM

He did more good than bad in my opinion. He did use us as a stepping stone, but it is what it is. What made Byrne seem so great was the absolute incompetent AD we had in Templeton prior to him. Any common sense thing that Byrne did that didnt try to **** us, seemed almost magical since we had not had that before. Getting rid of Polk and Croom and making solid hires will always make me appreciate Byrne. Took both of those programs out of the cellar and into competitiveness.

drunkernhelldawg
01-14-2014, 11:58 AM
I'm proud to say I was part of the group that got the atmosphere in the Hump going. 1990 was when it really started getting rowdy and loud. Then when we ended up winning the SEC in 1991- that season really took off. We gave other teams Hell. We ended up having to sleep outside the Hump for the game with LSU in 91 to make sure we got a good seat. It was so loud that day I couldnt even hear I Seen It Dawg talking to me standing right beside me.

There definitely needs to be something done to make it better for the students

That really was a special season, beating LSU to share the SEC. Sucked to get knocked out of the NCAA's by Eastern Michigan. Williams suspended one of our starters for the game. Can't remember which.

Pollodawg
01-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Now that football and baseball are good again, people can go back to caring about sports that matter.

MadDawg
01-14-2014, 12:13 PM

shannondawg
01-14-2014, 01:04 PM
I haven't been to but one opponents arena and that was Rupp. The student section doesn't have seats, I guess that does make it easier to jump up and down, and certainly doesn't hurt to have something to jump up and down about. But I bet you could move them anywhere in there and they would be just as active. They wouldn't be pouting over being moved. Hell everybody in the Hump got moved to some extent.

I was and am a Stansbury supporter not a Rick Ray distractor. I am a critic of all the Stansbury haters that are not more supportive of Rick Rays team. From the quantity and number of posters spewing out the hatred , you could easily fill the Hump in support of the team, and could do a little jumping and screaming that you are bitching and moaning about.

Percho
01-14-2014, 02:29 PM
Rick Ray should have printed up T shirts, Rick's Rowdies 2.0, to hand out to all students at a pep rally and try and tie the Stans era to his era.