PDA

View Full Version : Apparently De'Runnya IS playing BBall all season

CadaverDawg
01-13-2014, 09:51 PM
Elijah Staley is tweeting about how DeRunnya just gave him confidence that MSU would stick to their word. He is pumped that he will be able to play both.

I know this is no guarantee...but our coaches better at least try to make it work now. Expectations are in place

Raytoraid83
01-13-2014, 09:57 PM
I took it as him telling Elijah it's his choice to not to play basketball since he hasn't even practiced yet, I could be looking at wrong though

CadaverDawg
01-13-2014, 09:58 PM
I took it as him telling Elijah it's his choice to not to play basketball since he hasn't even practiced yet, I could be looking at wrong though

Maybe so, good point. Sounds like Staley is fully planning on playing both

Raytoraid83
01-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Maybe so, good point. Sounds like Staley is fully planning on playing both
Agreed with staley.

Dawg61
01-13-2014, 10:06 PM
Can we put to rest now that yes indeed MSU told Wilson he can play both. Looking at you Shotgun.

DownwardDawg
01-13-2014, 10:16 PM
Thread hijack: Speaking of Elijah, has he enrolled yet? Wasn't he an early grad?

engie
01-13-2014, 10:18 PM
No to both questions. He's dominating in highschool with his 2 5* junior teammates

Percho
01-13-2014, 10:36 PM
No to both questions. He's dominating in highschool with his 2 5* junior teammates

Are we recruiting them?

Bothrops
01-14-2014, 01:01 AM
We ought to be.

CJDAWG85
01-14-2014, 09:28 AM
When would Bear's first game be? This week?

fishwater99
01-14-2014, 09:31 AM

Why would Elijah not want to play basketball?

Coach34
01-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Just remember guys- if Ray thought Wilson was some kind of stud on the court- he would have had all this shit worked out a month ago. You can bet there wont be this kind of drama with Staley- that will be taken care of well before the bowl game. Staley is a legit 4-star in basketball

Coach34
01-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Why would Elijah not want to play basketball?

Elijah does. Hell, it's more of a worry about Elijah sticking with football possibly

fishwater99
01-14-2014, 10:19 AM
Yeah I don't get how Ray hasn't even talked to Bear about playing basketball, but let's him suit up and go through warmups...
I find that really hard to believe. Ray's full of it...

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20140114/SPORTS030102/301140021/De-Runnya-Wilson-could-give-boost-Mississippi-State

Coach34
01-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Wilson is not a bigtime basketball player- Barbee didnt even want him to play basketball at Auburn, and Auburn is ****ing awful. Thats why you see Ray talking about him and football so much.

msstate7
01-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Wilson is not a bigtime basketball player- Barbee didnt even want him to play basketball at Auburn, and Auburn is ****ing awful. Thats why you see Ray talking about him and football so much.

Surely he's as good as Moore and Cunningham

mjh94
01-14-2014, 10:43 AM
I'm confused on this.. either you're wrong or high school basketball in Alabama sucks. He was Mr. Basketball in the state his senior year, you know. He averaged 18.4 pts/15.8 rebounds per game in 5A, helping Wenonah to 3 state titles in a row.

Compared to his ability in football? Maybe he's not. But standing alone as a basketball player, i'll take him on our roster any day. You're making it out to sound like he should be a walk on at max.

Wilson is not a bigtime basketball player.

smootness
01-14-2014, 10:53 AM
I'd like to see him on the court just to see what he can be, but just because he was a stud in high school doesn't mean his game translates to big-time college basketball.

Perhaps he's better suited for a D2 or NAIA type school, or maybe a lower mid-major, like Jacksonville. If that's the case, then maybe Ray would take him and play him but isn't necessarily beating down doors to do whatever it takes to get him on the court.

It sounds like Ray's recruitment of Wilson may have been done more as a favor to Mullen than because Ray truly needed Wilson on the team. And I'm sure we'll follow through with anything Wilson was told, and that he'll play if he wants to.

Dawg61
01-14-2014, 10:57 AM
Pretty positive Wilson can spell Borchert, Roq and FSF for 10 minutes a game and get 4-5 boards and a few transition/cleanup points too. That right there is all I ask of the Bear and that will be a TREMENDOUS lift for the team. Just give max effort for 10 minutes and the WHOLE team is better for it. Just wait till the Bear throws down a monster dunk in the Hump! It's going to be awesome.

thf24
01-14-2014, 10:58 AM
I'm confused on this.. either you're wrong or high school basketball in Alabama sucks. He was Mr. Basketball in the state his senior year, you know. He averaged 18.4 pts/15.8 rebounds per game in 5A, helping Wenonah to 3 state titles in a row.

Compared to his ability in football? Maybe he's not. But standing alone as a basketball player, i'll take him on our roster any day. You're making it out to sound like he should be a walk on at max.

He'd be a bigtime basketball player if he was 4 inches taller and/or thirty pounds heavier. He put up those 18.4 points and 15.8 rebounds in high school from the PF/C position, which would not happen in college.

fishwater99
01-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Pretty positive Wilson can spell Borchert, Roq and FSF for 10 minutes a game and get 4-5 boards and a few transition/cleanup points too. That right there is all I ask of the Bear and that will be a TREMENDOUS lift for the team. Just give max effort for 10 minutes and the WHOLE team is better for it. Just wait till the Bear throws down a monster dunk in the Hump! It's going to be awesome.

I can't wait... Why hasn't he been practicing with the team?

The Croom Diaries
01-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Elijah does. Hell, it's more of a worry about Elijah sticking with football possibly

I agree with that. I think Elijah is a athletic stud who could excel at both sports, but basketball will come sooner, and that could lead to giving it his full attention as he will likely not be in the running for starting QB until his 3rd year in school.

Dawg61
01-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Bear Wilson has already sparked interest from our fans. Whether you want him to play or not either way there's been more discussion on men's bball the last week than there's been all season. People are already paying more attention to the team. Bear is a gift from the MSU basketball gods if you ask me. Maybe the extra body will take just a tiny bit of pressure off Flat Shot Fred too and he'll play better.

Johnson85
01-14-2014, 11:53 AM

I don't think there's any doubt we could use him, but I'm guessing Ray is looking out for him and doesn't want to mess up his football just so he can be an undersized power forward that is used to eat up minutes and commit some fouls.

Coach34
01-14-2014, 12:03 PM
You're making it out to sound like he should be a walk on at max.

He didnt have any big schools after him in basketball- that's why he went to football. He is going to be about the same as Cunningham-except that he hasnt practiced all season and doesnt have any idea of what we are doing right now

dawgs
01-14-2014, 12:12 PM
i think wilson could be a michael gholar type player for us. you know, the types of guys we'd always have 1 or 2 of before the program went to shit. he won't score a ton, can't shoot that well, but he is a great athlete who can defend multiple positions and rebound and get garbage buckets.

fishwater99
01-14-2014, 12:32 PM
He didnt have any big schools after him in basketball- that's why he went to football. He is going to be about the same as Cunningham-except that he hasnt practiced all season and doesnt have any idea of what we are doing right now

Really that's it? Bear has some major ups and can rebound and dunk for sure...
Was Cunningham a star in High School Basketball and I missed this somewhere?

HancockCountyDog
01-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Really that's it? Bear has some major ups and can rebound and dunk for sure...
Was Cunningham a star in High School Basketball and I missed this somewhere?

Wow, he can dunk? Well then he is certainly going to be able to contribute to an SEC basketball team while not practicing with the team the whole season.

whosyourdawgy
01-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Did you really just compare him to Tyson "game face" Cunningham? Wilson is 6'5" tall, won Mr Basketball in Alabama for goodness sakes. I dont care if he can only dunk, which absolutely no one here knows. Chicken says that he will definitely help so i'll take his word

Oh and he can definitely dunk. At the 1:30 mark
http://youtu.be/QC6OfMwBHfM

whosyourdawgy
01-14-2014, 01:41 PM
And another! He be like "Tyson Cunningham? Really? GTFO"
http://youtu.be/mYgHwUIN4oI

smootness
01-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Wilson would definitely be better than Cunningham. There's no doubt about that.

Coach34
01-14-2014, 01:53 PM
And another! He be like "Tyson Cunningham? Really? GTFO"
http://youtu.be/mYgHwUIN4oI

lmao- so you are impressed with a very basic dunk over a skinny white guy? Wow

whosyourdawgy
01-14-2014, 01:55 PM
Game to 10 between Wilson and Tyson. Who wins? 10 out of 10 times?

Maroonthirteen
01-14-2014, 01:57 PM
If there is one thing I have learned over the years of watching college athletics, it is if you are a good enough athlete and have size......you will be good at any sport on the college level. Therefore, I believe Wilson will be a very good addition to our bball team before season's end. Especially considering he can play the PF.

Coach34
01-14-2014, 01:59 PM
Wilson would definitely be better than Cunningham. There's no doubt about that.

based on what? Cunningham can fill up the basket when he isnt being guarded by SEC basketball players with extraordinary length. Hell, he won us a game last year when he made three 3 pointers...

I know that Barbee, who coaches the worst SEC basketball school, didnt even offer him. Think about that

smootness
01-14-2014, 02:04 PM
based on what? Cunningham can fill up the basket when he isnt being guarded by SEC basketball players with extraordinary length. Hell, he won us a game last year when he made three 3 pointers...

I would be shocked if Cunningham could average 18 ppg in high school right now.

I know that Barbee, who coaches the worst SEC basketball school, didnt even offer him. Think about that

Great. They're still an SEC school, which is going to have a higher barometer for prospects they offer than even a school like, say, UMass or College of Charleston. Not getting an offer from an SEC school doesn't mean you can't play. Cunningham couldn't get a scholarship right now from Life University.

ETA: Where do you see Wilson didn't have a basketball offer from Auburn? His profile on State's website shows he had b-ball offers from Auburn, UAB, and Murray State.

And regardless, even if he didn't have the Auburn basketball offer, why does that matter? If you want to use that to argue he's not as good as Andrew Wiggins, that's a fair point. But we're comparing him to Tyson Cunningham who by no means would be playing for UAB or Murray State right now.

whosyourdawgy
01-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Think about this. Tyson is a walk on that practiced with the girls team before joining the team. Love him to death for his attitude and being there for us when we needed him. But, he has no business being on the floor except in warm ups and garbage time. Have you ever even seen Wilson play basketball? You knock him like you know. So he sux and won Mr Basketball. Makes complete sense. And there may be a reason Barbee didn't offer. Or it may be that Auburn sux because Barbee sux at evaluating talent.

My point in this whole thread is that Wilson is a helluva an athlete and comparing him to Tyson Cunningham is foolish. Sorry coach but it is. Oh and we desperately need help at the 3 and 4 to just give rest to colin and roq if nothing else.

Maroonthirteen
01-14-2014, 02:32 PM
He will be able to come in right away and defend and rebound. That will be a big big help for our front court.

Coach34
01-14-2014, 02:46 PM
I'm going on people I know that watched him play last year. He's a good Bulldog and I appreciate him wanting to help the basketball team. I just think many of you are expecting a helluva lot more than he can give. The difference in him and a player like Staley is pretty large.

We'll see how it turns out

fishwater99
01-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Game to 10 between Wilson and Tyson. Who wins? 10 out of 10 times?

I'll take Wilson for a $100...

Coach34
01-14-2014, 03:06 PM
I'll take Wilson for a $100...

I'd take Cunningham- he can shoot

Dawg61
01-14-2014, 03:20 PM
Cunningham vs Bear has no relevance here. Bear isn't taking any minutes from Tyson. He'd spell Colin, Roq, FSF not the walk-on guard at the end of the bench. Let's not forget Bear is a true freshman. I feel confident Wilson is more than capable of contributing 10 minutes.

dawgs
01-14-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm going on people I know that watched him play last year. He's a good Bulldog and I appreciate him wanting to help the basketball team. I just think many of you are expecting a helluva lot more than he can give. The difference in him and a player like Staley is pretty large.

We'll see how it turns out

i don't think anyone expects him to be anything more than a glue/hustle guy that plays D, rebounds, scores some garbage baskets, and just generally uses his athleticism to do all the little things you don't see in the box score. when we've been good at basketball, we'd always have 1-2 of those guys on our teams. if he can provide 10-15 minutes of that kinda play, then he's well worth playing imo.

no one is banking on him being a savior and putting up 15-10 while playing lock down D over 35 minutes a night.

Five-tool Poster
01-14-2014, 04:00 PM

As the coach of the worst sec basketball school he couldn't possibly be a poor evaluator of talent.

whosyourdawgy
01-14-2014, 04:18 PM
If he can shoot so good why isn't he shooting now? We need a shooter. He'll I can shoot! Put a 6'3 or 4 guard in my face and things change. That's why he isn't shooting now Granted he probably make as many 3's as FTF right now though if he did shoot.

I want to see IJ get more aggressive

Dawg61
01-14-2014, 04:25 PM
If he can shoot so good why isn't he shooting now? We need a shooter. He'll I can shoot! Put a 6'3 or 4 guard in my face and things change. That's why he isn't shooting now Granted he probably make as many 3's as FTF right now though if he did shoot.

I want to see IJ get more aggressive

You and me both brother. I see some mini Chris Paul in his game. CP3 will absolutely take over a game when his team needs it though. Ready ain't ready.

CadaverDawg
01-14-2014, 04:29 PM
I'm not thinking Wilson will ever make a big impact, but there is no way he's not a better option than Cunningham. Wilson could have played basketball at a lot of schools if they didn't all realize he was a risk to lose to football. Cunningham was playing pick up in the Sanderson at one time.

Saying Wilson will change our team and be a big impact, is a bit silly...but saying you'd rather have Cunningham is just flat out dumb. Sorry coach. There has been times that I would rather see us play 4 on 5 than to have Cunningham out there. I do admire his hustle and work ethic though.

Coach34
01-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Saying Wilson will change our team and be a big impact, is a bit silly...but saying you'd rather have Cunningham is just flat out dumb. Sorry coach. There has been times that I would rather see us play 4 on 5 than to have Cunningham out there. I do admire his hustle and work ethic though.

blah blah blah

Wilson is a 6'5 Center- which is no more useful than Cunningham playing the 3...as I have to continually say around here- let it play out

CadaverDawg
01-14-2014, 04:42 PM
blah blah blah

Wilson is a 6'5 Center- which is no more useful than Cunningham playing the 3...as I have to continually say around here- let it play out

Yea, and I'm sure you would pick the 6 foot walk on over the 6'5 athlete in a pick up game. Just silly. Not one of your better pot stirring attempts, but carry on.

Coach34
01-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Yea, and I'm sure you would pick the 6 foot walk on over the 6'5 athlete in a pick up game. Just silly. Not one of your better pot stirring attempts, but carry on.

I will certainly take the guy that can shoot it a little over the athlete that cant score outside the paint

CadaverDawg
01-14-2014, 04:50 PM
I will certainly take the guy that can shoot it a little over the athlete that cant score outside the paint

Where are you getting this shit that Tyson can shoot? Do you watch the games? I would imagine DeRunnya can shoot just as well..plus we need rebounding and a tall presence just like we need shooting. I have seen Tyson hit the side of the ****ing backboard on a 3 from the corner MULTIPLE times, and air ball several more. There is nothing "good shooting" about Tyson. Hell, if there was, why would he not be playing more? Our best player went 0fer from the field the other night, so I would hope Ray isn't dumb enough to put this sharp shooter walk on on the bench when we can't hit water out of a boat.

Dawg61
01-14-2014, 04:54 PM
Phil Turner is 6'3 and was asked to play the 4 for extended lengths of time. It's not like Bear can't move well. He's probably the fastest most athletic 4 on the team right now already. He can run, jump out the gym and he's tough. Nobody is asking him to shoot. We don't expect him to provide great offense. Just run up and down the floor faster than his man, play defense and make a few scrappy rebounds a game. THAT'S IT. 10 minutes. We aren't asking him to be a starter. Not yet. He'd have to shock us all to get that type of consideration. I wouldn't put it past him though. Besides Lewis he was our best receiver this year as a true freshman with only limited time playing football in HS. The guy is an absolute freak athlete.

Coach34
01-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Where are you getting this shit that Tyson can shoot? Do you watch the games? I would imagine DeRunnya can shoot just as well..plus we need rebounding and a tall presence just like we need shooting. I have seen Tyson hit the side of the ****ing backboard on a 3 from the corner MULTIPLE times, and air ball several more. There is nothing "good shooting" about Tyson. Hell, if there was, why would he not be playing more? Our best player went 0fer from the field the other night, so I would hope Ray isn't dumb enough to put this sharp shooter walk on on the bench when we can't hit water out of a boat.

Cunningham is not an SEC basketball player- I'm not saying he is. But he has made a few shots here and there.

I am saying I dont think Wilson is an SEC basketball player either. And coming in with no practice or experience is really not going to be much of a help to us.

We shall see

whosyourdawgy
01-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Again, have you seen him play? You are describing him like he's gonna be Bubba Wilson out there w 2 left feet and can't shoot a lick. I tried to find footage of him and I found the 2 dunks I have linked so I don't know if he can or can't shoot. And if those are just average dunks, I think most is the players on out team would like to be able to do those average dunks.

fishwater99
01-14-2014, 05:36 PM
He got that from me... Nice Flush...

MSUDawg4Life
01-14-2014, 05:41 PM
Phil Turner is 6'3 and was asked to play the 4 for extended lengths of time. It's not like Bear can't move well. He's probably the fastest most athletic 4 on the team right now already. He can run, jump out the gym and he's tough. Nobody is asking him to shoot. We don't expect him to provide great offense. Just run up and down the floor faster than his man, play defense and make a few scrappy rebounds a game. THAT'S IT. 10 minutes. We aren't asking him to be a starter. Not yet. He'd have to shock us all to get that type of consideration. I wouldn't put it past him though. Besides Lewis he was our best receiver this year as a true freshman with only limited time playing football in HS. The guy is an absolute freak athlete.

Agreed.

smootness
01-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Cunningham is not an SEC basketball player- I'm not saying he is. But he has made a few shots here and there.

I am saying I dont think Wilson is an SEC basketball player either. And coming in with no practice or experience is really not going to be much of a help to us.

We shall see

Just because neither are SEC basketball players (jury still out on Wilson) doesn't make them equal. Wilson is probably 'not SEC level, but fine for the MEAC'; Cunningham is 'not SEC or MEAC or D2 or NAIA'.

Cunningham has made shots before, yes. Somehow, he is able to contribute something to the team when he's in. But I guarantee you that if I took 20 3's in an SEC game, I'd make some. That doesn't mean much. I would stop this argument if I were you, it isn't doing you any favors. Two years ago, I saw him hit the side of the backboard on a floater from the baseling (probably 10 feet) and saw him airball a finger roll.

I don't care what De'Runnya Wilson is as a basketball player. He got a scholarship offer from some D1 schools, so he is miles better than Tyson Cunningham.

Coach34
01-14-2014, 06:42 PM
Per Paul Jones:

" Bear played hoops his entire hs career and had one offer (UAB) and that was it. But he had football offers from MSU, Auburn, Tennessee, Louisville, etc."

CadaverDawg
01-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Per Paul Jones:

" Bear played hoops his entire hs career and had one offer (UAB) and that was it. But he had football offers from MSU, Auburn, Tennessee, Louisville, etc."

Like I said, with offers like he had in football...basketball coaches weren't looking to waste a scholly on a guy that they'd likely lose to football. Doesn't mean he sucked at bball. And besides, just the fact that MSU and UAB offered bball means he is a better prospect than Cunninghamm. Cunningham is a glorified church league player

smootness
01-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Well, a) based on information I've found elsewhere, I'm not sure that's accurate. Barbee did speak to Wilson about playing basketball, but that was in conjunction with a football scholarship, so who knows.

Perhaps he didn't end up with a lot of basketball offers because it became clear his senior year he was going to play football?

Anyway, again, I'm not saying Wilson will be a stud. We don't really know what he would be. I'm just saying he is almost certainly better than Cunningham.

bulldawg28
01-14-2014, 07:04 PM
Like I said, with offers like he had in football...basketball coaches weren't looking to waste a scholly on a guy that they'd likely lose to football. Doesn't mean he sucked at bball. And besides, just the fact that MSU and UAB offered bball means he is a better prospect than Cunninghamm. Cunningham is a glorified church league player

I laughed hard after reading this. Well played sir.

MSUDawg4Life
01-14-2014, 07:05 PM

Right. The guy was Mr. Basketball in Alabama. I'm quite sure that award doesn't go to somebody who can't play.

Schultzy
01-14-2014, 07:05 PM
A true freshman coming into SEC hoops, not having picked up a basketball in months, that's a difficult transition. I would be surprised if he could play well under those circumstances.

Not impossible, but much harder than people realize. It's a different kind of conditioning too.

msstate7
01-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Per Paul Jones:

Uab beat North Carolina this season. Just saying...

Schultzy
01-14-2014, 07:14 PM
Right. The guy was Mr. Basketball in Alabama. I'm quite sure that award doesn't go to somebody who can't play.

Not trying to diminish it but don't they have seven mr. Basketballs in Alabama? One for each classification I think.

You still have to be really good to achieve that I'm sure.

Coach34
01-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Like I said, with offers like he had in football...basketball coaches weren't looking to waste a scholly on a guy that they'd likely lose to football.

Basketball players get offers their Soph and Jr years- it wasnt established that DeRunnya was even considering college football until after basketball was over his Jr year

mic
01-14-2014, 08:06 PM
This is starting to turn into a Hud type post and Thread..
First off if Bear plays fine. He will help the team with his depth and might even contribute in a bigger role down the stretch.
He isn't going to come in and play major minutes and score in double figures from the start.
And for the person who said he could learn the system in 30 minutes your an idiot. He couldn't even learn Stands X and O's in 30 minutes.
Honestly I want Bear working individual workouts right now with Dak and the QB's.
Let his body heal if it needs to.
And get ready for spring drills.
This is going to be a HUGE spring for our WR core to get on the same page with our Qb and take the next step with another year under Gonzo..

Coach34
01-14-2014, 08:09 PM
I just think it's funny they think basketball coaches backed off a guy because of football when he never even played before his Sr season. The reason he played football was because nobody was offering him in basketball.

Dawg61
01-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Not trying to diminish it but don't they have seven mr. Basketballs in Alabama? One for each classification I think.

You still have to be really good to achieve that I'm sure.

No they have only one Mr. Basketball for the entire state. DeRunnya "Bear" Wilson won that award last year. I'm sure it helped that he won 3 consecutive 5A State Titles but the fact remains that of every single HS basketball player in the entire state of Alabama Wilson was voted the best of all of them. Since 1986 26 of the 28 winners have played D1 college basketball. 19 of the 28 have played in the SEC and 3 have been drafted by the NBA. It's a big ****ing deal to win that award. MSU has the last two winners in Sword and Bear. I like this trend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_Mr._Basketball

MSUDawg4Life
01-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Hmmm. The other two Alabama Mr. Basketball winners to attend Mississippi State are Daryl Wilson and Craig Sword.

I guess some folks think they couldn't/can't play either.

EAVdog
01-14-2014, 09:39 PM
He's a hell of an athlete, so by SEC Basketball standards he's probably better than half the players in the league. Receivers/Tight Ends have an easy transition to and from Basketball. It'll probably benefit his ball handling skills.

fishwater99
01-15-2014, 10:48 AM
Hmmm. The other two Alabama Mr. Basketball winners to attend Mississippi State are Daryl Wilson and Craig Sword.

I guess some folks think they couldn't/can't play either.

Ouch...

Coach34
01-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Craig Sword was a 4-star with offers from all over
Darryl Wilson was Alabama's all-time HS leading scorer

Nobody ever doubted these two guys

whosyourdawgy
01-15-2014, 01:25 PM
Super D didnt have many offers because he was a prop 48 casualty. Williams rolled the dice on him. Did Craig Sword have a ton of offers? I don't remember.

Dawg61
01-15-2014, 02:09 PM
Sword held offers from Bama, Auburn and Georgia and would have been more if he hadn't committed to State for the longest time. C34 is right that Bear's size hurt his interest in that he excels down low but he's only 6'5. My argument is that he's not a slow big guy with limited coordination. He's quick, runs the floor better than guards, tough, strong and can jump out the gym. Use him as a hybrid type player or VCU type player and he can create havoc. He doesn't have to be leaned on to create offense. He will create his own offense by cleaning up on offensive rebounds or simply beating his man down the floor. With Bear's speed MSU becomes more effective in an up-tempo style. Slow the ball down and make it half-court and he loses that advantage.