PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Collins to UGA?

DCdawg
01-13-2014, 07:26 PM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/geoff-collins-msu-uga/

I think this may be a bit of a stretch, but if it's already out in the media it's time to get this man paid.

Coach34
01-13-2014, 07:30 PM
we have better players on D than Georgia does

Collins would have to decide if that's the move for him- or would he be better off coaching the State D in 2014- which should be a top 10 or 15 defense- and moving on after next year.

Dawg61
01-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Whose next in line for MSU as DC if Collins left?

solodawg
01-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I agree!! We need to pay Collins now and quit going through this every year we have a winning season..Looks like Mullen can evaluate not only recruits but coaches with potential..On Georgia's Scout front page there is an article on the possible DC candidates with 6 listed and Collins is not on that list..Yet, anyway..

maroonmania
01-13-2014, 07:44 PM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/geoff-collins-msu-uga/

I think this may be a bit of a stretch, but if it's already out in the media it's time to get this man paid.

This is the kind of speculation crap we will have to continue to put up with when we are paying our top assistants a CUSA salary.

Coach34
01-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Collins is getting a raise- it just hasnt been announced yet as to how much

gravedigger
01-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Maybe a step further than that, our D has an ability to make a bigger splash this coming year than Georgia's does. If Georgia plays well on D due to him going there the storyline will be the question of resources vs coaching due to Georgia's talent pool.

If he succeeds in the SEC west by MSU placing 3rd or better due to a stout defense, he will have the world at his feet with head coaching offers due to MSU just not getting the attention talent wise. I don't see him commanding the big salary just yet from Georgia. I do see it next year. This would be the year a Georgia could get him at a bargain, and that is why we need to raise his salary and make it too difficult for someone to come in and sweep him out, knowing full well we may lose him at the end of next year.

Defense is our ticket to the bigtime next year even if our offense is going to be stout too. Certainly both will be essential. I just don't see big offensive numbers being the reason we get to another level (better than the Gator bowl). Defensive game changing plays will. Stopping offenses like Auburn, Bama, LSU, and A&M will.

I know the bowl game vs rice was not the exciting matchup we'd all thought it could wind up being, but our defense planted their asses in the ground. That was their bread and butter. THat running back Ross and the receiver #15 just could never get going. Winning big next year will be predicated on treating each team the way we did rice's offense.

Collins is key to that because he's a linebacker kind of coach and he has done a bang up job in that aspect of our game. Our linebackers took up a great deal of slack this year while younger players grew up in front of and behind them.

The Croom Diaries
01-13-2014, 08:10 PM
First off - Saturdays Down South is nothing more than some guys like me (fan bloggers) who have made it big enough to make a living off of it. In the article there was no linked material and no "sources" cited. It's pure speculation on his (a fan blogger) part. I do this all the time and it means nothing other than food for thought, outside the box ideas, etc.

Secondly, the guy who wrote this is a State fan, and it's very possible that he's drawing even more attention to this important issue that needs Stricklin's highest attention, so he's using his platform - another tool of a fan blogger, and he has a much bigger audience than me, as evidence by people posting it in message boards believing there's some truth to it.

Third- it's possible it could happen and we need to raise Collins to at least $500K. I don't think it has anything to do with which team has more talent unless we're at that level. He's making $291k when the minimum any other SEC DC is getting is $500k. It's pathetic. We should be paying him $600k next year with an apology note for 2013. UGA will probably offer $700k minimum because that's what a position like that pays at its lowest rate. We need to step up NOW.

BossDawg
01-13-2014, 08:24 PM
G0td^m!t!!! can we not start paying these people at some point?!?! Damn, Strick, open the checkbook already!

EAVdog
01-13-2014, 08:26 PM
UGA has a short list, Collins is not even on their radar. We still need to bring up our assistants pay but this is complete speculation.

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Guys settle down about the raise shit. I'm pretty sure the coaches are getting raises and the ones that are getting raises likely already know how much. For whatever reason, I think the announcement is being held off till after signing day.

Homedawg
01-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Collins is getting a raise- it just hasnt been announced yet as to how much

This^. And when he gets his raise that's not going to stop him from taking a job like Georgia- unless he thinks richt only has a year left- and it still might not.

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2014, 08:35 PM
This^. And when he gets his raise that's not going to stop him from taking a job like Georgia- unless he thinks richt only has a year left- and it still might not.

Disagree, not sure why he would go to Georgia with what he has returning on defense and the depth he is building for the future.

Manny Diaz proved that the grass isn't always greener. Both MSU and Georgia are SEC jobs and offer the ability to build a quality defense.

There is no reason for him to leave.

FlabLoser
01-13-2014, 08:37 PM
This crootin season, we don't even need rebels to put doubts in our minds. We do it for them.

Chill.

mic
01-13-2014, 08:45 PM
This is a do or die year for Mark. he is going to hire a big time NAME to fill the position. They may or may not be as good as Collins but it will be a big time name or from a big time school or situation...

FlabLoser
01-13-2014, 08:52 PM
This is a do or die year for Mark. he is going to hire a big time NAME to fill the position. They may or may not be as good as Collins but it will be a big time name or from a big time school or situation...

Muschamp. Boom!

The Croom Diaries
01-13-2014, 09:02 PM
Guys settle down about the raise shit. I'm pretty sure the coaches are getting raises and the ones that are getting raises likely already know how much. For whatever reason, I think the announcement is being held off till after signing day.

They get raises every year, that's not the point. Collins is already the highest paid assistant ever at MSU...and he's the 66th highest paid assistant coach in the SEC. We need to do something that we've never done and is out of our usual character - offer $500k at least.

Look at this info. Collins needs a major raise and it's not something to be brushed off.
http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2013/12/26/getting-geoff-collins-paid/

The Croom Diaries
01-13-2014, 09:10 PM
Disagree, not sure why he would go to Georgia with what he has returning on defense and the depth he is building for the future.

Manny Diaz proved that the grass isn't always greener. Both MSU and Georgia are SEC jobs and offer the ability to build a quality defense.

There is no reason for him to leave.

Have you heard of a thing called money?

If Diaz had stayed at MSU the last 3 years (2011-2013) he would have made a combined $750k. At Texas he made $2.3-2.5 million. Diaz was a BIG winner in that deal despite getting fired and public humiliation.

Also, you're not taking into account that Starkville isn't everyone's cup of tea. I love it and Collins may as well, but Austin, TX and Athens, GA are a lot more appealing to a larger percentage of people.

And it's not all about winning for assistant coaches. They want to do what they have to do to 1. Become a head coach 2. Make more money. A better chance of winning at MSU vs. UGA in 2014 really has very little to do with it.

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2014, 09:32 PM
Have you heard of a thing called money?

If Diaz had stayed at MSU the last 3 years (2011-2013) he would have made a combined $750k. At Texas he made $2.3-2.5 million. Diaz was a BIG winner in that deal despite getting fired and public humiliation.

Also, you're not taking into account that Starkville isn't everyone's cup of tea. I love it and Collins may as well, but Austin, TX and Athens, GA are a lot more appealing to a larger percentage of people.

And it's not all about winning for assistant coaches. They want to do what they have to do to 1. Become a head coach 2. Make more money. A better chance of winning at MSU vs. UGA in 2014 really has very little to do with it.

I am under the assumption that it won't be about money because Stricklin should know that, if we lose an assistant coach because of money, the his ass will tarred and feathered.

If MSU can't pay enough to keep coaches from leaving for lateral jobs, then we have no chance to compete.

We finally have the right DC, and a great team coming back next year. I can't imagine that Stricklin wouldn't be willing to match anything that Georgia would be willing to offer a coach that has only been a d coordinator for 1 year.

Stricklin would also risk losing Mullen if Collins left because of money. Mullen would then see that he can't build MSU any further.

I just really don't think Georgia will outbid us on Collins. So, yes, I've heard of money. I just don't think this will be about that.

Maroons
01-13-2014, 09:46 PM
This is the kind of speculation crap we will have to continue to put up with when we are paying our top assistants a CUSA salary.

Did you expect us to pay him 750k BEFORE his first year as DC???

preachermatt83
01-13-2014, 10:51 PM
you guys do realize that Todd Grantham was making 850K a year? If Georgia wants him and money IS an issue for Collins then they will get him bc we won't be paying any coordinator 850k a year. It is rumored that Geoff is getting a raise in the neighborhood of 200k which will put him close to 500k but nowhere close to 850k if Georgia wants him. that being said, I honestly believe our DC next year will be Geoff Collins.

deltadawg99
01-13-2014, 10:55 PM
I'm honestly kinda surprised that Chizik hasn't come up as a serious candidate for any DC job. You could get him for cheap right now too.

preachermatt83
01-13-2014, 10:57 PM
I'm honestly kinda surprised that Chizik hasn't come up as a serious candidate for any DC job. You could get him for cheap right now too.

yup, and he could flat out coach Defense.

Coach34
01-13-2014, 11:09 PM
yup, and he could flat out coach Defense.

yet he could never fix his D at Auburn...Just Say No to Cheez

preachermatt83
01-13-2014, 11:17 PM
yet he could never fix his D at Auburn...Just Say No to Cheez

it was pretty stout when he was the D-coord

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2014, 11:26 PM
you guys do realize that Todd Grantham was making 850K a year? If Georgia wants him and money IS an issue for Collins then they will get him bc we won't be paying any coordinator 850k a year. It is rumored that Geoff is getting a raise in the neighborhood of 200k which will put him close to 500k but nowhere close to 850k if Georgia wants him. that being said, I honestly believe our DC next year will be Geoff Collins.

Matt, I completely agree, problem is, I don't see anyway that UGA would be willing to go to 850,000 with a guy that's only been a d coordinator for 1 year.

Due to that, I don't think this would come down to money that we couldn't match.

engie
01-13-2014, 11:59 PM
People must have missed the SECNetwork thread? Starting next year, we can pay our DC as much as anyone else can. We've just got to make it a priority. Given the setup with Mullen calling our plays and basically being our OC, we can afford to splurge on the defensive side.

The Croom Diaries
01-14-2014, 07:51 AM
Matt, I completely agree, problem is, I don't see anyway that UGA would be willing to go to 850,000 with a guy that's only been a d coordinator for 1 year.

Due to that, I don't think this would come down to money that we couldn't match.

You keep saying that hoping its going to stick. Collins was the DC at Western Carolina for 3 years, FIU and now MSU, where he was also co-DC for 2 years.

Bottom line - he made $200k less in 2013 than ANY OTHER SEC DC. That's unacceptable and embarrassing. He has never stayed anywhere for longer than 3 years.

Not everyone has an affinity for Mississippi State like we do. These are coaches with a job, not emotional ties to a program. We should have been, and need to pay the man. If we "aren't going to lose a coach to money" as Strick says, and we would pay as much as a school like UGA to keep him, then why not going ahead and pay him $750k?

And yes, he would make that much in Athens. They don't have the dumbass idea that you should make less because you only have ___ experience. Regardless of what you've done in the past, you have that job and here are the expectations - they pay well from the start and expect premium results.

Barking 13
01-14-2014, 08:16 AM
If Collins can sign Marlon Humphrey, tack on another 100K....

Political Hack
01-14-2014, 08:25 AM
You keep saying that hoping its going to stick. Collins was the DC at Western Carolina for 3 years, FIU and now MSU, where he was also co-DC for 2 years.

Bottom line - he made $200k less in 2013 than ANY OTHER SEC DC. That's unacceptable and embarrassing. He has never stayed anywhere for longer than 3 years.

Not everyone has an affinity for Mississippi State like we do. These are coaches with a job, not emotional ties to a program. We should have been, and need to pay the man. If we "aren't going to lose a coach to money" as Strick says, and we would pay as much as a school like UGA to keep him, then why not going ahead and pay him $750k?

And yes, he would make that much in Athens. They don't have the dumbass idea that you should make less because you only have ___ experience. Regardless of what you've done in the past, you have that job and here are the expectations - they pay well from the start and expect premium results.

this guy gets it.

you pay for performance in this league and the guy with a top half defense isn't going to accept the lowest pay in the league. Simple as that.

Also, a legit salary in Starkville may keep other teams away. UGA could hire him for $500k right now if they wanted. We up it to $600k and they might be able to find a better value. We have to do our job at making our assistants harder to hire away and we're not even trying right now.

outside of the guys who have been in MS for a large chunk of their careers (mainly Hughes & Knox), we haven't been able to hold on to any top flight assistants.

Diaz - rock star at one time... gone.
Brew - stud. gone.
Hud - freak show good. gone.
Balis - best in the business. gone.
Wilson - great DL coach. Dumb promotion eventually cost him his job. gone.

We've had 4 WR coaches, 3 DL coaches, 2 strength coaches, 3 DC's, 2 CB's coaches, etc...

HC, OC/QB, RB, and S are the only spots we've had real continuity. We've got to spread that to the defensive side of the ball. If CDM was a defensive minded coach it wouldn't matter quite as much, but since he's not, that's the side of the ball that is the biggest priority and keeping great coaches on that side of the ball should be priority #2 in the football program. Big ass TV screens don't matter when they're showing highlights of the other team.

Bark
01-14-2014, 08:50 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Collins from Georgia? I know he has family there. So that could play into the decision too. If I'm him I don't get anywhere around mark richt and Georgia right now though.

HancockCountyDog
01-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Collins from Georgia? I know he has family there. So that could play into the decision too. If I'm him I don't get anywhere around mark richt and Georgia right now though.

He has Georgia ties, not to the university, but to the state. Im hoping to hear an announcement today about a pay raise today. I don't think UGA gets Kirby Smart or Jeremy Pruitt who are apparently their top choices.

Saltydog
01-14-2014, 10:16 AM
year there...........

The Croom Diaries
01-14-2014, 10:24 AM
year there...........

Richt is on the hot seat my ass. I live in GA, they've complained about him for the last 10 years. Their fans just make a lot of noise. He's similar to Mack Brown in what he's done there, except he is only 13 months removed from being 5 yards from a national title. If he wasn't fired after blowing a preseason #1 in 2008 and two very mediocre seasons in 09 and 10 then he isn't going anywhere after 30 wins in 3 years.

FISHDAWG
01-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Regardless of what you've done in the past, you have that job and here are the expectations - they pay well from the start and expect premium results.

^^^ this is spot on ... UGA's expectations and ours are a little different ... and that has to count for something - living in Ga. I hear all of the negative chatter when these spoiled fans don't have a seasonthat goes their way - it can be pretty bad

maroonmania
01-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Did you expect us to pay him 750k BEFORE his first year as DC???

As Croom Diaries has already stated the lowest paid DC in the entire SEC besides Collins is at 500K. Collins is, per my understanding, at 291K. So, in my book, if we didn't feel Collins was at least worthy of 400-450K IN HIS FIRST YEAR then he probably didn't deserve to get the job. I mean that is still below the going rate. After finishing in the top half of the league in most all defensive categories he needs to be bumped up significantly. At least to the 450-500k range. I don't know where your 750K number came from, certainly not from me.

msstate7
01-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Personally I think Collins gets a nice raise, comes back, and parlays one of the best defenses in the country to a nice little HC job somewhere (perhaps ULL after hud leaves).

TheRef
01-14-2014, 01:36 PM
Saturday Down South
@SDS
Per @ajcuga, #Georgia will hire FSU DC Jeremy Pruitt. Strong hire by Mark Richt and the Bulldogs.

msstate7
01-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Delete

smootness
01-14-2014, 01:43 PM
As Croom Diaries has already stated the lowest paid DC in the entire SEC besides Collins is at 500K. Collins is, per my understanding, at 291K. So, in my book, if we didn't feel Collins was at least worthy of 400-450K IN HIS FIRST YEAR then he probably didn't deserve to get the job. I mean that is still below the going rate. After finishing in the top half of the league in most all defensive categories he needs to be bumped up significantly. At least to the 450-500k range. I don't know where your 750K number came from, certainly not from me.

We've discussed this before, but it's not necessarily about what we feel he's worthy of. It's about what his market value is.

trob115
01-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Per twitter, Pruitt was just hired by UGA fwiw.

FlabLoser
01-14-2014, 01:54 PM
For $850k. After making $540k at FSU and $250k at Bama.

FISHDAWG
01-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Saturday Down South
@SDS
Per @ajcuga, #Georgia will hire FSU DC Jeremy Pruitt. Strong hire by Mark Richt and the Bulldogs.

now the Arky DC has split for greener pastures ... opening in Fayettville for a good DC

EAVdog
01-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Per twitter, Pruitt was just hired by UGA fwiw.

Whom, aside from Kirby Smart, was their top target all along. This whole Collins to UGA thing was completely created out of thin air. Just like I'm sure he'll be rumored to Arkansas and Les Koenning will be rumored to be taking some random DIV 2 gig in Texas. Why do we automatically assume we have the worst jobs in college football? And why do we so quickly parrot complete garbage?

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2014, 02:16 PM
now the Arky DC has split for greener pastures ... opening in Fayettville for a good DC

Arkansas doesn't worry me. I think that would be a step down at this point, and I would have to think we could come close to matching anything Arkansas would offer unless Wal-Mart steps in.

ShotgunDawg
01-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Whom, aside from Kirby Smart, was their top target all along. This whole Collins to UGA thing was completely created out of thin air. Just like I'm sure he'll be rumored to Arkansas and Les Koenning will be rumored to be taking some random DIV 2 gig in Texas. Why do we automatically assume we have the worst jobs in college football? And why do we so quickly parrot complete garbage?

Because we act like a bunch a poor ass trailer trash that create conspiracy theories about why we will always get screwed. It's simply a losers attitude and one in which I don't partake.

The Croom Diaries
01-14-2014, 02:46 PM
We've discussed this before, but it's not necessarily about what we feel he's worthy of. It's about what his market value is.

....and the market value is minimum $500K. That is a fact.