PDA

View Full Version : Rick Ray in an interview today with Bob Carskadon

starkvegasdawg
01-13-2014, 04:39 PM
said he was going to sit down with Mullen and Wilson soon to determine Wilson's future with the basketball team. Ray says he does not want to do anything to hurt Wilson's football development. Gotta like that about a coach that is hurting for warm bodies. Hope they can come to an agreement that all three parties are happy with.

drunkernhelldawg
01-13-2014, 04:46 PM
It doesn't seem like a priority, as slow as it's going. Ray may be uncomfortable with a part-time player. I wouldn't blame him if he is, but we do need depth, as you say. I kindof think that Wilson would have been pushing it if he really wanted to do it. He may realize that he needs a break, just like ordinary human beings do.

How bout them basketball dawgs? Playing like a real team now. It's getting toward time to get excited again.

Dawg61
01-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Yea looks like Ray has changed his mind now that the time has come to commit to it. Or maybe y'all bitched enough to change it for him. Sucks cause we really could use Bear's help. We need Eli too. Imagine if we'd been able to add Bear, Daniels and Staley for SEC play this year. 10 SEC wins wouldn't be out of question. Wasn't happening but still js.

Coach34
01-13-2014, 04:56 PM
He obviously doesnt think Wilson will help much,especially when you consider the time it will take for him to learn everything

Dawg61
01-13-2014, 05:07 PM
"Get boards and play defense hard" is about all the teaching Bear needs. He learned Mullen's playbook no problem. Learning Ray's defense/offense would take Bear all of 30 minutes. Sounds more like an ego thing to me. 2c

Coach34
01-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Learning Ray's defense/offense would take Bear all of 30 minutes.

I dont even know how to respond to that

I seen it dawg
01-13-2014, 05:23 PM
He doesn't use Stains O or D chief.

Dawg61
01-13-2014, 05:24 PM

It's true. Ray runs 2 defenses and a version of the motion offense 90% of the time. Bear only has to contribute 10-15 minutes. We're not asking/expecting him to be a starter. This year atleast. Just give him a chance. Please. What if he surprises you and he's a better basketball player than football player? I can't think of anything more Mississippi State than our own fans not wanting Mr. Basketball to play basketball. Haha. Just reducing Fred Thomas's minutes alone will make this team better immediately. I realize Bear and Fred play different positions but they are about the same height and I guarantee you Bear can dribble, pass and SHOOT better than Flat Shot Thomas RIGHT NOW. With only a week of picking a basketball up.

Dawg61
01-13-2014, 05:26 PM

True. Ok it'll take him 2 hours. He already is a better player than FSF.

Coach34
01-13-2014, 05:29 PM
He already is a better player than FSF.

No he's not

drunkernhelldawg
01-13-2014, 05:31 PM

Laughter? That's what I got out of it.

Bo Darville
01-13-2014, 05:33 PM
It's true. Ray runs 2 defenses and a version of the motion offense 90% of the time. Bear only has to contribute 10-15 minutes. We're not asking/expecting him to be a starter. This year atleast. Just give him a chance. Please. What if he surprises you and he's a better basketball player than football player? I can't think of anything more Mississippi State than our own fans not wanting Mr. Basketball to play basketball. Haha. Just reducing Fred Thomas's minutes alone will make this team better immediately. I realize Bear and Fred play different positions but they are about the same height and I guarantee you Bear can dribble, pass and SHOOT better than Flat Shot Thomas RIGHT NOW. With only a week of picking a basketball up.

This ain't high school. This is SEC college basketball. You don't just pick up what we are doing in 30 minutes. Heck on defense, you not only learn the system, but you learn how we hedge picks, how we close out on shooters, how we play help-side. You don't just roll the balls out there.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
01-13-2014, 05:34 PM
"Get boards and play defense hard" is about all the teaching Bear needs. He learned Mullen's playbook no problem. Learning Ray's defense/offense would take Bear all of 30 minutes. Sounds more like an ego thing to me. 2c

If basketball was as easy as "here's a ball, go win" then the SEC would be as dominant in basketball as it is in football because the athletic ability of SEC basketball players is off the charts. Actual basketball IQ, fundamentals, knowledge, ability, etc... however, not so much.

You seem to have very strong views of how basketball works, but saying things like this takes away from your credibility on the subject as opposed to bolstering it.

Coach34
01-13-2014, 05:40 PM
I'll put it to him this way- I'd be very surprised if Wilson could beat Tyson Cunningham in a game of 1 on 1 right now. These guys playing major college basketball are a helluva lot better than Dawg61 thinks

Dawg61
01-13-2014, 05:46 PM
I just want Bear to get his chance. MSU did promise him that right? Let's see what he looks like first before never giving him a shot. If he's not all that in basketball I'll let it go and be happy we have him for football atleast. This is his year to prove his worth in basketball and some of y'all don't want a test drive at all. Let the Bear eat. Please.

MadDawg
01-13-2014, 05:56 PM

Keep driving the wedge.

Covercorner2
01-13-2014, 05:57 PM
His Instagram leads one to believe he is going to start playing soon...

Goat Holder
01-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Bear, Ray and Mullen all have figured out that he is an NFL-potential wide receiver. Needs to stick with football at this point. He's definitely the best we've had in a number of years.

ShotgunDawg
01-13-2014, 06:02 PM
I just want Bear to get his chance. MSU did promise him that right? Let's see what he looks like first before never giving him a shot. If he's not all that in basketball I'll let it go and be happy we have him for football atleast. This is his year to prove his worth in basketball and some of y'all don't want a test drive at all. Let the Bear eat. Please.

First off, we don't know what MSU did or did not promise. Therefore, anyone using this as the basis of their argument, could be completely wrong.

Secondly, when MSU recruited Bear, I don't think anyone, except maybe Bear, expected him not to redshirt, much less become a weapon. Things change sometimes as the circumstances change.

bully99
01-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Warm body and minutes.

I seen it dawg
01-13-2014, 06:12 PM
Keep driving the wedge.

Any chance I get.

Coach34
01-13-2014, 06:26 PM
I fully expect Wilson to get a chance to be on the team and practice. Especially if that is what we promised him

My contention is that he won't be very good and will give us minimal help. It's going to be 2 weeks before he can learn all he needs to know so he can even see the court for 5 minutes. The last thing you want is someone out there that doesn't know wtf he is doing disrupting everybody else and ****ing them up. 2/3 of HS kids from Miss and Bama have no idea what a motion offense is- let alone learn it in 30 minutes.

drunkernhelldawg
01-13-2014, 06:31 PM

Really getting old. Actually been old. Stinking now. Better "bury" it.

drunkernhelldawg
01-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Any chance I get.

Live for something else.

maroonmania
01-13-2014, 06:37 PM
I fully expect Wilson to get a chance to be on the team and practice. Especially if that is what we promised him

My contention is that he won't be very good and will give us minimal help. It's going to be 2 weeks before he can learn all he needs to know so he can even see the court for 5 minutes. The last thing you want is someone out there that doesn't know wtf he is doing disrupting everybody else and ****ing them up. 2/3 of HS kids from Miss and Bama have no idea what a motion offense is- let alone learn it in 30 minutes.

I would agree with that under normal circumstances but being back to 8 scholarship players says he will give us much more than minimal help. Already in the first 2 SEC games I'm seeing us fade in the second half and I'm getting sick and tired of having 13 scholarships to give and yet having to dink around playing with 8 players. Its getting ridiculous. If Bear wants to play, and he would play a SF position we need help at given the Applewhite transfer, then Ray would be wise to get him on the team and give him some minutes once he's ready. Wilson is probably a better basketball prospect than most of Ray's recruits anyway.

Dawg61
01-13-2014, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't put him in at the beginning in high pressure spots or in close contest but say we are up 20+ or down 20+ then put him in for 8-10 minutes and let's see what he's got. His HS coach called him one of the best players he's ever seen and we all know he's a freak athlete. Imagine being up 20 on Bama @Bama and the Bear comes in and throws down some sick posterizing dunks. The energy he can create within the team and fans can be very valuable. It's not so much how good he is it's more of how much he can spark the other players and our fans. That's where I see his value being at. A glue guy that can free up space for Ware, get boards, and be a beast on the transition. He's going to run the floor better than most and he's a skyriser.

Coach34
01-13-2014, 06:55 PM
If Bear wants to play, and he would play a SF position we need help at given the Applewhite transfer, then Ray would be wise to get him on the team and give him some minutes once he's ready. Wilson is probably a better basketball prospect than most of Ray's recruits anyway.

That's where you are wrong though.

Wilson is a Center that plays with his back to the basket. He is in no way a SF. He is a 6'5 Center.

maroonmania
01-13-2014, 06:57 PM
That's where you are wrong though.

Wilson is a Center that plays with his back to the basket. He is in no way a SF. He is a 6'5 Center.

Well then he probably already comes onto the team as the second best center behind Ware since there is nobody else.

RougeDawg
01-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Anyone saying he can/will not help us, at this point, is just talking to contradict. It's ****ing basketball. He could learn everything he needy to know, sitting the bench this week and just watching everyone else. His athletic ability should allow a positive impact on our team, without much practice and prep. Y'all act like its rocket silence, and by putting him out there is going to negatively effect out team? Have any of you looked at our team, or lack there of. Yes they play hard and scrappy, but they get in foul trouble and tire out in the 2nd half, because we don't have enough athletically talented bodies to sub in. Some of you need to quit overthinking things.

cheewgumm
01-13-2014, 07:36 PM
He shoudl NOT PLAY.

He's gonna play NFL, he can't afford to get hurt. Show him that tape of that guy from Louiville getting his leg brokein half.

TopDog58
01-13-2014, 08:13 PM
He shoudl NOT PLAY.

He's gonna play NFL, he can't afford to get hurt. Show him that tape of that guy from Louiville getting his leg brokein half.

Or show him tape of Ellington at SC excelling at both sports. He has just as much of a chance if not more at getting injured during spring practice than on the court. How many other times other than the one time on a national stage can you point to a guy breaking his leg in hoops? I can remember 2 receivers in a 3 week period doing it on the football field on MS teams alone in the not so distant past

gtowndawg
01-13-2014, 10:56 PM
Just for the simple fact I'm curious. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm just curious to see him out there and if he can play or not.

//It would also help peek my interest in basketball again.

drunkernhelldawg
01-14-2014, 01:46 AM
Anyone saying he can/will not help us, at this point, is just talking to contradict. It's ****ing basketball. He could learn everything he needy to know, sitting the bench this week and just watching everyone else. His athletic ability should allow a positive impact on our team, without much practice and prep. Y'all act like its rocket silence, and by putting him out there is going to negatively effect out team? Have any of you looked at our team, or lack there of. Yes they play hard and scrappy, but they get in foul trouble and tire out in the 2nd half, because we don't have enough athletically talented bodies to sub in. Some of you need to quit overthinking things.

I do think he could help us. Four minutes would help for sure. He could even end up being a major contributor. I just have a feeling that he doesn't really want to do it. It's quite a sacrifice if he does, giving up the off season that the rest of the football team is soaking in.