PDA

View Full Version : Cutting cable......can it be done, sports-wise?

Goat Holder
01-13-2014, 12:04 PM
The thread on the SEC network got me thinking. I've been considering cutting cable for a while, for numerous reasons. But bottom line, can you watch sports without it? I figure with an HD antenna getting ABC, NBC and CBS I could watch the the major stuff. I'd get the big golf tournaments, at least one football game at all times on Saturdays, the NCAA tournament, and NFL games (except Monday night, which sucks anyway). Also, sports bars are always out there if you just absolutely HAVE to watch a game. HailstateTV is there also for MSU games, although I plan on going to most of the ones I would typically watch.

At the end of the day, I don't want to contribute to these greedy bastards and their 'must have it' attitude. And I don't really watch anything else. I don't care about all those drama TV shows out there. Everything seemingly can be found on the net anyway.

Big4Dawg
01-13-2014, 12:37 PM
You can find a lot of stuff online.

BoomBoom
01-13-2014, 12:57 PM
The thread on the SEC network got me thinking. I've been considering cutting cable for a while, for numerous reasons. But bottom line, can you watch sports without it? I figure with an HD antenna getting ABC, NBC and CBS I could watch the the major stuff. I'd get the big golf tournaments, at least one football game at all times on Saturdays, the NCAA tournament, and NFL games (except Monday night, which sucks anyway). Also, sports bars are always out there if you just absolutely HAVE to watch a game. HailstateTV is there also for MSU games, although I plan on going to most of the ones I would typically watch.

At the end of the day, I don't want to contribute to these greedy bastards and their 'must have it' attitude. And I don't really watch anything else. I don't care about all those drama TV shows out there. Everything seemingly can be found on the net anyway.

Not much of a problem for college football. As a Braves fan though it would be impossible for me.

Dawgtini
01-13-2014, 12:59 PM
I did it for 3 years. Wife had enough of Netflix, Prime, and Hulu so we went DISH this year. During that time, ESPN3 and HailState TV coupled with the neighbors having satellite got me through fine. I don't really watch golf, basketball, hockey, or motor sports, so I was good. Put an HD antenna up to let the wife get network shows and that worked for the NFL and other college football. There will be times when you just do not have an option to watch an event at home. If a neighbor or sports bar works for you during those times then you will be golden.

HereComesTheSpiral
01-13-2014, 01:01 PM
Vipbox.net

Dawg61
01-13-2014, 01:13 PM
I pay my cable bill and I am happy to do it. I get an entire month of HD cable and every freakin channel for less than it costs to go to Ruth's Chris and get a steak dinner or a night out at the bar. Hours and hours of entertainment made available to you in the comfort of your own home. Quit bitching and realize you've got a wonderful thing. I learned the other day that Europe blacks out all of ESPN3. Us Americans are spoiled rotten and we don't even realize it. Off my soapbox.

spiritual_machine2005
01-13-2014, 01:24 PM
I killed cable about a year ago. I got an apple tv and an antenna. I use a family member's cable id to log into the espn app on apple tv so I can get all the games. Every once in a blue moon a game is blacked out and I go to a sports bar to catch it. Saves me about $75 dollars a month. 90% of the stuff on cable is crap anways in my opinion. Only show I miss was Walking Dead and i pay for that through iTunes for about $40 a season.

Goat Holder
01-13-2014, 01:24 PM
No soapbox, you bring up a valid point that must be considered. And the cost of a sports bar tab must definitely be considered. An average cost of a cable bill, let's say $70 without internet/phone, can be easily cancelled out by 3 minimal bar tabs at $20 a pop.

BUT....there are some things I would rather watch at a sports bar anyway, including the NCAA tournament and certain football Saturdays. Plus, make no mistake this whole deal is meant to draw my attention away from sports and maybe other more worthwhile hobbies. I am tired of a few people making so much money off the working class. If I'm going to blow my money on sports, I'd prefer it be in Starkville.

But there again, MSU is making gobs of money on the network anyway.

Goat Holder
01-13-2014, 01:27 PM
Is this one of those virus infested deals like justin.tv? For purposes of this discussion I'd rather leave things like that out.

Dawg61
01-13-2014, 01:39 PM
No soapbox, you bring up a valid point that must be considered. And the cost of a sports bar tab must definitely be considered. An average cost of a cable bill, let's say $70 without internet/phone, can be easily cancelled out by 3 minimal bar tabs at $20 a pop.

BUT....there are some things I would rather watch at a sports bar anyway, including the NCAA tournament and certain football Saturdays. Plus, make no mistake this whole deal is meant to draw my attention away from sports and maybe other more worthwhile hobbies. I am tired of a few people making so much money off the working class. If I'm going to blow my money on sports, I'd prefer it be in Starkville.

But there again, MSU is making gobs of money on the network anyway.

I hate watching sports at a bar because I enjoy the commentators. They are part of the experience for me and they are very informational for the listener. There is so much they tell you during each play etc.. Would people go to the movies and not listen to the sound? Just baffles me.

lefty96
01-13-2014, 01:43 PM
I've been doing this I think 3 years now. I have more chosen the streaming audio, bar route for games and it has been okay. I will say that alot of times I am so busy on the weekends that I don't get to camp out and watch football anyway so that does make it easier. We have apple tv and netflix on every device known to man for our entertainment. I have never considered getting an antenna - I guess that could help. . .

I think if you are a sports junkie and that is what you do with your free time, it will suck. For me, I didn't $850/yr miss sports.

Barking 13
01-13-2014, 01:44 PM
FWIW I have a bundle, with cable (like 200 channels, HD and DVRs) plus internet, plus phone, all on one bill for like a buck fifty a month.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Quit bitching and realize you've got a wonderful thing. I learned the other day that Europe blacks out all of ESPN3. Us Americans are spoiled rotten and we don't even realize it. Off my soapbox.
I discovered the same thing while in Germany. This may shock you, but a simple google search provided a work around for that very issue....VPN. My spoiled rotten ass was able to watch our football games over there on ESPN3 with no issues once I used it.

Goat Holder
01-13-2014, 01:59 PM
I have U-Verse and pay $100/month total bill right now for cable/net. Yeah that's nice, but after a year it'll be $140. I suspect yours is a promotional bundle as well?

Goat Holder
01-13-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm the opposite. I absolutely loathe the commentators.

Dawg61
01-13-2014, 02:04 PM
I discovered the same thing while in Germany. This may shock you, but a simple google search provided a work around for that very issue....VPN. My spoiled rotten ass was able to watch our football games over there on ESPN3 with no issues once I used it.

Good to know. I have a family member that's over there right now and is struggling with this. If you don't mind can you break this down for me a little more so I can explain to them how to get ESPN3 over there? Thanks

Barking 13
01-13-2014, 02:12 PM
I have U-Verse and pay $100/month total bill right now for cable/net. Yeah that's nice, but after a year it'll be $140. I suspect yours is a promotional bundle as well?

Standard Cableone package deal...

drunkernhelldawg
01-13-2014, 04:37 PM
I hate watching sports at a bar because I enjoy the commentators. They are part of the experience for me and they are very informational for the listener. There is so much they tell you during each play etc.. Would people go to the movies and not listen to the sound? Just baffles me.

I wish more bars would realize this and always turn on the closed captioning. Ask for it.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Good to know. I have a family member that's over there right now and is struggling with this. If you don't mind can you break this down for me a little more so I can explain to them how to get ESPN3 over there? Thanks
I personally used Cisco VPN that was installed on a computer that I don't own.
From this website: http://vpncoupons.com/article/how-to-watch-espn3-online-streams-outside-the-usa/
Virtual private networks offer a far better solution to unlock ESPN3 from abroad. VPNs deliver lightening fast speeds plus they do not leak your real IP address like some of the proxy servers do so they are ideal for watching ESPN3 live streams from outside of US. Moreover, VPNs are quite simple to configure on a variety of devices like iPhones, iPads, Android tablets and Smartphones, laptops, Smart TVs and even some gaming consoles like Xbox 360 and PlayStation.

How To Unlock ESPN3 Online Streams Outside US With A VPN

1) Sign up with a reliable USA IP VPN provider (check the list below for the best US VPN providers currently available).

2) Configure the VPN service on the device of your choice by following the instructions provided by the VPN company. The setup may require installing of VPN software depending on the device that you are planning to use.

3) Connect to the VPN service.

4) Choose a US VPN server that is nearest to your current location.

5) Refresh the page or connect to the ESPN3 website again to watch your favorite live streams and other sporting events.

For watching ESPN3 streams from abroad, you can choose US VPN plans from from proXPN, VPN4All, IPVanish, HideMyAss, StrongVPN, ExpressVPN, Invisible Browsing VPN, VyprVPN,and PureVPN. There providers are quire reliable and they deliver excellent speeds and consistency required to watch live sporting events in High Definition. So subscribe to an unlimited VPN plan from any one of the above providers and unlock ESPN3 from all over the world.

I'd also check places like download.com for free VPN or even Cisco may have a trial version of their software.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-13-2014, 05:31 PM
I make a note in my phone calendar to remind me to call and complain about something once my current deal is up. It's amazing how much just an ass chewing can get shit done and lower my bill.

Dawg61
01-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Thanks man!! Much appreciated.