PDA

View Full Version : Darrion Hutcherson

smootness
01-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Looks like we still have a really good shot to land this guy and could know something pretty soon. That would be a big addition for next year's offense.

I know most here know about him already, but at 6'7" 250+ he could add an entirely new dimension to the offense. Malcolm Johnson is great and is obviously a big-time receiving option, but Hutcherson should be able to get downfield and create some serious mismatches. He can also throw blocks and isn't too far away from adding an extra OL on the field.

If he signs with State, we'll have Johnson, Samuel, and Hutcherson who are all legitimate receiving options at TE and Samuel and Hutcherson who can both play some H-back and throw serious blocks in the running game.

Our offense is going to be really big next year...Fred Ross, Fred Brown, and Robert Johnson will be the only outside WRs shorter than 6'3", and now we could add a monster TE to the mix, not to mention Dak and our RBs, who will be bigger than average; even Robinson, while short, is a bowling ball.

CadaverDawg
01-13-2014, 11:04 AM
I keep hearing this guy's name, but don't know a lot about him. Sounds like a monster. Can you give us a breakdown? Is he a JUCO?

hailmari
01-13-2014, 11:08 AM
He originally signed with auburn out of high school. I think he was a high 3, maybe low 4* then.. It looks like it's between us and West Virginia. Seeing as how he's from Alabama and we're in the SEC, we can feel confident.

smootness
01-13-2014, 11:16 AM
I keep hearing this guy's name, but don't know a lot about him. Sounds like a monster. Can you give us a breakdown? Is he a JUCO?

I honestly don't know a ton. I know he's huge, I know Auburn wanted him out of HS and he was rated well, and I know the only reason they're not taking him now is because they're loaded at TE and really don't have room for a JUCO there.

I've watched some of his video, and he seems to be able to run and catch well for a guy that size, and he looks to be a really good blocker, too.

I think he's probably a low-end 4-star JUCO guy in reality, just based on what I do know. Could make a pretty big impact for us next year.

Bothrops
01-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Don't forget BJ Hammond. I can't imagine Hutcherson picking WV over us with all we have going on, but he seems like a real good get. Does anyone know how he's played in juco??

BeastMan
01-13-2014, 11:23 AM
When Hutch sets foot on campus for his visit, I'd assume there is a good chance he doesn't leave uncommitted. Dude is huge. Out overall size on offense next year is getting downright nasty. 2 years ago our WR corps were a bunch of midgets. Fast forward to know...

Big4Dawg
01-13-2014, 11:25 AM
http://247sports.com/Player/Darrion-Hutcherson-11794

He's already visited WVU and didn't commit. Visits next weekend.

Coach34
01-13-2014, 11:26 AM
His impact will be felt much more blocking than receiving...we need this guy

Coach34
01-13-2014, 11:27 AM
http://247sports.com/Player/Darrion-Hutcherson-11794

He's already visited WVU and didn't commit. Visits next weekend.

It's us or WV. He eliminated Cincy about a week or so ago

Pollodawg
01-13-2014, 11:29 AM
This is the guy you want to throw that fade route too in the corner of the endzone. At 6'7", if he can't go up and get it, no one can.

blacklistedbully
01-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Noticed a comment on the WVU site suggesting he is not eligible for early-enrollment. Anybody know anything about that?

smootness
01-13-2014, 12:13 PM
Noticed a comment on the WVU site suggesting he is not eligible for early-enrollment. Anybody know anything about that?

I would assume he won't be enrolling early. That date has already passed for JUCO guys. He would be a summer enrollee.

codeDawg
01-13-2014, 12:39 PM
I would love to see him in maroon. I think Dan has figured out that we are not going to out finesse most SEC teams, but we might just be able to over power them. The contrast of size at WR/TE, QB, and DL from Croom and a few years into Mullen is staggering.

Dawg61
01-13-2014, 01:07 PM
Good gawd we are freakin HUGE!! We are bigger than almost every NFL team. Seriously. I'm so wooly I might not fit through my front door.

quickstrike2
01-13-2014, 04:15 PM
Hopefully he will choose us. I remember losing Barry Brunetti to West Virginia awhile back because he wanted to be the "next Pat White" up there. I thought that was hilarious especially since Geno was already there and was not much doubt hed be their starter. And then he ends up at Ole Miss.

Coach34
01-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Malcolm and Samuel plus this guy would give us some outstanding players at TE

deltadawg99
01-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Hopefully we can get this kid on campus and hire a new TE/ST coach to help develop all of the talent that we have at TE. Just sayin

bluelightstar
01-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Agreed, would be big.

mic
01-13-2014, 09:02 PM
He will be a Red Zone stud..

Todd4State
01-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Hopefully he will choose us. I remember losing Barry Brunetti to West Virginia awhile back because he wanted to be the "next Pat White" up there. I thought that was hilarious especially since Geno was already there and was not much doubt hed be their starter. And then he ends up at Ole Miss.

He apparently is not the sharpest tool in the shed and I think he also wanted immediate playing time. He wouldn't have beaten out Tyler or Dak.

Todd4State
01-13-2014, 09:49 PM
Here's the thing about fades in the red zone. We would not only have Hutcherson- but we have Bear Wilson who is 6'5" and then Morrow at 6'4" and Fred Brown at 6'3". You can't eliminate who the ball is definitely going to. We could throw it up to any of them. And you can only put your best CB on one of them.

Maroons
01-13-2014, 09:57 PM
Don't forget Rufus Warren, who's listed at 6-7, 265.

mic
01-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Here's the thing about fades in the red zone. We would not only have Hutcherson- but we have Bear Wilson who is 6'5" and then Morrow at 6'4" and Fred Brown at 6'3". You can't eliminate who the ball is definitely going to. We could throw it up to any of them. And you can only put your best CB on one of them.

even more of a threat when we go double tights or 3TE sets with the running ability of Dak..

smootness
01-13-2014, 10:43 PM

The listings I've seen have Wilson at 6'6" and Brown at 6'1". Has Brown grown since he enrolled?

Todd4State
01-13-2014, 11:48 PM
The listings I've seen have Wilson at 6'6" and Brown at 6'1". Has Brown grown since he enrolled?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs

smootness
01-14-2014, 12:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs

It was a legitimate question.

Todd4State
01-14-2014, 12:37 AM
It was a legitimate question.

I would go with what MSU has them listed as since I was going off the top of my head.

quickstrike2
01-14-2014, 09:15 AM
He apparently is not the sharpest tool in the shed and I think he also wanted immediate playing time. He wouldn't have beaten out Tyler or Dak.

No doubt, we didn't miss anything by not getting him.

HancockCountyDog
01-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Has anyone seen this kid play? Im sure he is good, but I just checked him out on the NJCCA website and he only played in 6 games and had 4 catches.

Im assuming we are recruiting him to be a blocker, but Im just wondering if anyone saw him play this year or whether he was injured which would make sense.

deltadawg99
01-14-2014, 12:18 PM
He played a decent amount of WR in high school and it looks like he has good hands. I'm not sure why he wasn't used more at Co-Lin.

According to the stats it looks like they had 1 WR that caught the vast majority of their passes.