PDA

View Full Version : New Saturday, new thread

WeWillScrewItUp
01-11-2014, 07:02 PM
What do my fellow OutdoorDawgs have going tonight. I have a little makers and coke zero while manning the grill. Cooking some back strap from that ol' nanny I shot this past Monday.

Barking 13
01-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Cooked a bunch of fajita stuff today.. gonna be eating on it for a couple days... (about 4 -5 lbs of steak and chicken, 4 peppers, 3 onions, 2 cans of rotel, etc.)

Political Hack
01-11-2014, 09:00 PM
the old school miller lite cans got me. felt like a throwback night as I watched my Saints tank.

Cooked ribeyes, country fried steak and gravy, cabbage with andouille, and black eyes peas. It was good.

BeastMan
01-11-2014, 10:38 PM
I cooked redfish on the half shell for my in laws. Kinda sad b/c it was the last in my freezer. 2 different preparations. First was salt, pepper, granulated garlic, paprika, sliced onion on top of the fish. Spooned a little lemon butter over the fish as it grilled.
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps76db1ba1.jpg

BeastMan
01-11-2014, 10:43 PM
These were marinated in Lea and pearins, lemon pepper, and sliced lemon. Spooned the same lemon butter over it as it grilled.
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4dd7b1b3.jpg

Both were delicious and a hit. 1rst was more savory while 2nd was citrusy.

SpeckleDawg
01-12-2014, 12:36 AM
Deer sausage & backstrap w/cream cheese and jalapenos wrapped in bacon. Abita Mardi Gras Bock

Last night was grilled specks & boudin.

SpeckleDawg
01-12-2014, 12:38 AM
I cooked redfish on the half shell for my in laws. Kinda sad b/c it was the last in my freezer. 2 different preparations. First was salt, pepper, granulated garlic, paprika, sliced onion on top of the fish. Spooned a little lemon butter over the fish as it grilled.
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc473/stoms31/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps76db1ba1.jpg

Nice. Reds on the half shell are hard to beat.

Political Hack
01-12-2014, 09:19 AM
I'm hungry.

FlabLoser
01-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Beast, did you put that pan on the grill?

I've not grilled fish much. Just salmon and Chilean sea bass.

I like to cook the Salmon skin side down and never flip it. The skin is a good barrier between the mean and the grill.

Sea bass is meaty enough to put straight on the grill.

Some use cedar planks. I've never tried that.

WeWillScrewItUp
01-12-2014, 09:44 AM
BeastMan when are you hosting an OutdoorDawgs get together, everything you cook and post pics of always looks amazing.

BeastMan
01-12-2014, 12:43 PM
@Flab
When you clean it on the half shell (skin & scales on 1 side) you grill it flesh side down 1rst for 2-3 minutes (just long enough to leave grill marks) and then you flip it skin side down for the remainder. The beauty is that the the skin can get charred and it doesn't even matter. It's protecting the fish, leaving it moist and flaky. The fish comes right of the skin.

@WeWillScrewItUp
Wise man once told me an average fisherman who can cook his catch well is better than a great fisherman who can't cook. One of my favorite things about being an outdoorsman is preparing you take. Truth be told, I've been in the food biz all my life but I'm not a trained chef or anything. Everything I cook is simple enough for anyone to execute.

BeastMan
01-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Deer sausage & backstrap w/cream cheese and jalapenos wrapped in bacon. Abita Mardi Gras Bock

Last night was grilled specks & boudin.

That is a great weekend there

FlabLoser
01-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Cool. Wasn't sure what fish on the half shell was. I can see that working quite well.

WeWillScrewItUp
01-12-2014, 02:12 PM
@Flab
When you clean it on the half shell (skin & scales on 1 side) you grill it flesh side down 1rst for 2-3 minutes (just long enough to leave grill marks) and then you flip it skin side down for the remainder. The beauty is that the the skin can get charred and it doesn't even matter. It's protecting the fish, leaving it moist and flaky. The fish comes right of the skin.

@WeWillScrewItUp
Wise man once told me an average fisherman who can cook his catch well is better than a great fisherman who can't cook. One of my favorite things about being an outdoorsman is preparing you take. Truth be told, I've been in the food biz all my life but I'm not a trained chef or anything. Everything I cook is simple enough for anyone to execute.

I agree with you about enjoying preparing the game. I have been in the kitchen as at the grill since I was old enough for my parents to let me help. I thank them for letting me now because there are few items I don't feel that I can cook, especially when it comes to wild game.