PDA

View Full Version : How do we fix Flat Top Fred's shooting problems?

missouridawg
01-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Do we need to get him to shave the flat top and re-make his image?

HoopsDawg
01-11-2014, 05:47 PM
That's like asking how do we fix Webster's height problems.

Dawg61
01-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Pull his scholarship and force him to earn it back his senior season. He's awful. He's a worse dribbler than shooter. I didn't think that was possible.

engie
01-11-2014, 06:04 PM
He's got a confidence problem. Seems some of his timidity comes from Ray getting pissed off every time he shoots one. There's a cause and effect there -- and I'm not sure which order they should go in.

He's going to get hot at some point in the season and start hitting them IMO...

CadaverDawg
01-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Recruit someone better, because he is still one of our top 4-5 players with that bad shooting

chef dixon
01-11-2014, 06:17 PM
In basketball, you don't really teach one to shoot. They either can or they can't, and Fred is an average shooter on his best day.

msstate7
01-11-2014, 06:19 PM
Pull his scholarship and force him to earn it back his senior season. He's awful. He's a worse dribbler than shooter. I didn't think that was possible.

I wouldn't do this. At the end Thomas took summers and did the job. Fred's shooting is bad, but he has value

CadaverDawg
01-11-2014, 06:26 PM

To one of the guys that stuck with Ray when most wouldn't? Hell no. You just deal with it until you get someone better. Who the hell we gonna replace his "bad shooting" with? Cunningham's great shot?*

Dawg61
01-11-2014, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't do this. At the end Thomas took summers and did the job. Fred's shooting is bad, but he has value

Where? I feel worse for the better players that never get their chance because we are too nice to pull a scholarship. It's the SEC. Big time basketball and college basketball is a world driven by 1 year commitments to players. This isn't 1950 anymore. If we ever want to be a top 25 program again we have got to learn to be cutthroat. Being the nice guy and all is nice but nice wont win you games vs Florida, Kentucky etc..

Dawg61
01-11-2014, 06:30 PM
In basketball, you don't really teach one to shoot. They either can or they can't, and Fred is an average shooter on his best day.

This is total bullshit. That is all this is.

Dawg61
01-11-2014, 06:34 PM
To one of the guys that stuck with Ray when most wouldn't? Hell no. You just deal with it until you get someone better. Who the hell we gonna replace his "bad shooting" with? Cunningham's great shot?*

Unfortunately he can't really be replaced till next year. Hence he's a walk-on next year or he transfers and the better player now has his scholarship. Same with Davis. And don't be hypocritical here y'all are doing this exact same thing with the football team aka Milton and Morrow.

chef dixon
01-11-2014, 06:40 PM
This is total bullshit. That is all this is.

Well please, please go coach him up.

maroonmania
01-11-2014, 06:52 PM
Just strange that he was such a scorer in HS but is such an offensive liability in college.

thf24
01-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Just strange that he was such a scorer in HS but is such an offensive liability in college.

Interestingly enough, I went back and looked at his high school numbers a few weeks ago, and I was surprised to see that he only shot 32% on 3 pointers over his career. I, as well as seemingly others, had been under the impression that he was a lights out shooter, but 32% isn't good for someone of that reputation. Still, it doesn't explain how bad he's been in college. I think he'll get it together to some extent though and at least be threatening enough to demand attention on the perimeter. And contrary to 61's party line, he has value in that he's pretty good on defense and has good size and length for his position, something we're desperately lacking in other areas.

the59dawg
01-11-2014, 07:08 PM

At least he didn't turn it over today. But his shot is flawed. He just can't consistently make a shot.

engie
01-11-2014, 07:11 PM
At least he didn't turn it over today. But his shot is flawed. He just can't consistently make a shot.

Timidity.

You can literally see a visible difference between when he shoots one with confidence and when he doesn't. I can tell you with 75% accuracy whether or not his shot is going in before it's released. He's got a fear of being blocked that he needs to overcome with some of that...

HoopsDawg
01-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Next year, Sword will start at the 2 and Houston will start at the 3. Houston can't shoot either, but he brings more to the table than Thomas. We will be extremely athletic with Houston, Sword, and Daniels but we still won't be able to knock down a shot. Dunlap can, but he and Ready makes for an, umm, interesting backcourt height wise.

Ifyouonlyknew
01-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Well Ready & Bloodman played some together today & Dunlap is taller than Bloodman. Just can't play them together for long stretches against taller ball courts.

Next year, Sword will start at the 2 and Houston will start at the 3. Houston can't shoot either, but he brings more to the table than Thomas. We will be extremely athletic with Houston, Sword, and Daniels but we still won't be able to knock down a shot. Dunlap can, but he and Ready makes for an, umm, interesting backcourt height wise.

Dawg61
01-11-2014, 07:26 PM
I honestly thought Thomas was going to be the best of the bunch when they signed. I'm sure there's links quoting me singing his praises but I was wrong. His confidence looks completely broken. He just looks scared shitless out there and his first reaction when he gets the ball is to just jack up a three. Did he not learn any other way to score throughout his career? At Jim Hill he was their go to guy so he must of had the ball in his hands more than anyone else. Where is his ball-handling and passing skills? He's completely inept in these areas. That's the most disappointing aspect of his game imo. Sword has learned to stop shooting 3's but he has elite driving ability and ball-handling skills. At this point Fred and MSU would be better off if he just spent from here till next season practicing dribbling and shooting. He's only hurting his confidence (which is difficult to do it's so low) by playing in games. He really needs to be redshirting but Ray can't afford that with our lack of depth.