PDA

View Full Version : Need some deer hunting help from you eliteHunters

CadaverDawg
01-11-2014, 05:09 PM
I live in Madison county but I have always hunted near Brookhaven on some family land. Well, this year will be the first time I will not have access to our family land due to the cutting of all of the timber. So I am looking to lease some land to hunt in 2014-2015. It will only be me and maybe occasionally my brother, and I am willing to pay a nice fair price for a lease. I am also not worried about the size....it can be 20+ acres or whatever, and I will make it work. I'm just wanting to be out in the woods next fall, because hunting is where I like to clear my head.

Anyway, if any of you guys have any recommendations on some hunting land to lease, please let me know. I don't really care where it is, and will pay whatever is necessary. I'm not big on huge hunting camps, but if you have any small camp openings I might be interested in those too. PM me or post suggestions in this thread. I appreciate any help and/or ideas.

Thanks gentlemen

WeWillScrewItUp
01-11-2014, 05:56 PM
Will do man and if you get any leads please pass them my way. I would like to get in a club and not have to rely on public land for my main source of hunting places. I'm in McComb area so really anything down around southwest MS is kind of what I'm looking for. I occasionally look on various sites that have listings but can't seem to find what I'm looking for in my area.

CadaverDawg
01-11-2014, 06:20 PM
Will do man and if you get any leads please pass them my way. I would like to get in a club and not have to rely on public land for my main source of hunting places. I'm in McComb area so really anything down around southwest MS is kind of what I'm looking for. I occasionally look on various sites that have listings but can't seem to find what I'm looking for in my area.

Well, I would even be willing to split something with a good bulldog, so let's keep in touch. What public land do you hunt? I forget that's an option. How does one go about getting a permit to hunt public land? Just have a hunting license?

I've never hunted public land

WeWillScrewItUp
01-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Well, I would even be willing to split something with a good bulldog, so let's keep in touch. What public land do you hunt? I forget that's an option. How does one go about getting a permit to hunt public land? Just have a hunting license?

I'm originally from Arkansas and go home and hunt with my dad and little sister on public land, Trusten Holder WMA, there. In Mississippi I hunted Caston Creek this year and all you had to do was buy a $15 wma permit from wherever you would get a hunting liscense.

CadaverDawg
01-11-2014, 09:19 PM
I'm originally from Arkansas and go home and hunt with my dad and little sister on public land, Trusten Holder WMA, there. In Mississippi I hunted Caston Creek this year and all you had to do was buy a $15 wma permit from wherever you would get a hunting liscense.

Good info, thanks man.

Where are some good public lands to hunt in the central MS area?

WeWillScrewItUp
01-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Good info, thanks man.

Never hunted them personally but a guy I work with goes regularly to Mahannah WMA which is about 20 miles north of Vicksburg on HWY 61. It is the only one I will recommend strictly because he recommends it.

GreaterCowbell
01-13-2014, 05:50 PM
From time to time I will have some properties up for lease. They are usually posted in July. I will PM you my website.

CadaverDawg
01-13-2014, 06:51 PM
From time to time I will have some properties up for lease. They are usually posted in July. I will PM you my website.

Thanks a lot, man. I just sent you one back. Hopefully something will come available.

sandwolf
01-14-2014, 12:56 AM

If you wouldn't mind, I would also be interested in your website.

sandwolf
01-14-2014, 01:11 AM
Good info, thanks man.

I used to hunt the Pearl River WMA back in high school (about 10 years ago), and it was solid hunting. But since then, I have only been out there to shoot skeet, so I really can't speak for the deer hunting. Definitely worth looking into though. Here is a link to the WMA's in central MS.

http://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunting/wmas/central-region.aspx (http://http://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunting/wmas/central-region.aspx)

mparkerfd20
01-14-2014, 01:20 PM
FWIW there is TONS of public government land in MS that you can hunt without a WMA permit. For example a good majority of the Bienville National Forest. I hunt some off 18 near Whiteoak. Killed a nice 10pt there even. I do belong to a club as well, but love a change of scenery the government woods provides from tome to time.

If you see a road that has a small rectangular brown sign it's government land and can be hunted without a permit unless it's inside a designated WMA area. Usually you'll see yellow markers on trees near the road too designating these areas.

State82
01-14-2014, 06:55 PM

There are hundreds of thousands of acres of Wildlife Management Areas scattered all over the state that you can hunt for $15. The WMA permit gets you access to any of them. The Sunflower WMA, located within the confines of Delta National Forest between Holly Bluff and Rolling Fork, alone has well over 60,000 acres. Then you have Pearl River WMA above Hwy. 43. The mdwfp.com site will give you all the scoop on the WMA's. You just have to really watch the regulations because they are very different from place to place. Some are very strictly managed, regulated and restricted. Others, like Sunflower WMA, are pretty wide open. You also have the National Wildlife Refuges like Hillside NWR north of Yazoo City, Panther Swamp NWR between Satartia and Holly Bluff, Morgan & Matthews Break and several others. They require their own permit (around $20 I think) but they are very restricted as far as deer hunting and duck hunting. But when they are right, it can really be on. Public land hunting in the state is almost limitless, but you really have to do your homework and field work to be successful. It's cheap, though.

CadaverDawg
01-14-2014, 09:38 PM
Guys, this has been great info. Thank you.

To the guys that have hunted Pearl River....is that probably the closest public hunting to me if I live in north Madison near 43? If so, what do I need to do in order to get started. Is it hard to hunt? I'm assuming you have to carry your climber in and out since leaving a stand would probably get it stolen? Can you give me some ins and outs of hunting public land?

Thanks again for all of the info. If any of you gentlemen would like to go in on a lease in the Madison or surrounding areas, let me know.

sandwolf
01-15-2014, 12:27 AM
Guys, this has been great info. Thank you.

To the guys that have hunted Pearl River....is that probably the closest public hunting to me if I live in north Madison near 43? If so, what do I need to do in order to get started. Is it hard to hunt? I'm assuming you have to carry your climber in and out since leaving a stand would probably get it stolen? Can you give me some ins and outs of hunting public land?

Thanks again for all of the info. If any of you gentlemen would like to go in on a lease in the Madison or surrounding areas, let me know.

Yes, that would definitely be the closest public land to you. I live in Bainbridge, off of Yandell Road, and it is literally 5 minutes from my house. When I used to go out there, you just had to go down to Tommy's Trading Post and get the form to fill out and put on the dash of your vehicle (I don't remember exactly what had to be done, but it was something along those lines)............but now they have expanded that place a good bit, and I believe there is an office on site, so you may have to go there.

I always carried my climber in and out, but you could also get a good tree stand cable lock and lock it to the tree......I have done that at Noxubee before without any issues.

I would definitely be interested in looking into a lease.

CadaverDawg
01-15-2014, 08:40 PM
Yes, that would definitely be the closest public land to you. I live in Bainbridge, off of Yandell Road, and it is literally 5 minutes from my house. When I used to go out there, you just had to go down to Tommy's Trading Post and get the form to fill out and put on the dash of your vehicle (I don't remember exactly what had to be done, but it was something along those lines)............but now they have expanded that place a good bit, and I believe there is an office on site, so you may have to go there.

I always carried my climber in and out, but you could also get a good tree stand cable lock and lock it to the tree......I have done that at Noxubee before without any issues.

I would definitely be interested in looking into a lease.

You live right down the street from me. I'm off Yandell.

I am going to look into that...sounds like a great place to get some everyday hunting in.

Crystal Balls
01-15-2014, 09:00 PM
CadaverDawg I live in North MS so Im not familiar with places to hunt down your way but Id like to add there have been lots of good deer killed around cutovers. Your land will be a hot spot for deer since it will have cover and food once it starts to grow back. I love bow hunting the edges of cutovers.

CadaverDawg
01-16-2014, 01:36 AM
CadaverDawg I live in North MS so Im not familiar with places to hunt down your way but Id like to add there have been lots of good deer killed around cutovers. Your land will be a hot spot for deer since it will have cover and food once it starts to grow back. I love bow hunting the edges of cutovers.

Thanks. Yea, it will be great in a few years. It's sad right now though, ha. Literally made me sick at my stomach when I saw it.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-16-2014, 10:35 AM
If you don't mind, I'd be interested in the link as well.
Here's a link the the 16th section leases in Mississippi if anyone is interested:
http://www.sos.ms.gov/huntinglease/#http://

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-16-2014, 10:40 AM
There are hundreds of thousands of acres of Wildlife Management Areas scattered all over the state that you can hunt for $15. The WMA permit gets you access to any of them. The Sunflower WMA, located within the confines of Delta National Forest between Holly Bluff and Rolling Fork, alone has well over 60,000 acres. Then you have Pearl River WMA above Hwy. 43. The mdwfp.com site will give you all the scoop on the WMA's. You just have to really watch the regulations because they are very different from place to place. Some are very strictly managed, regulated and restricted. Others, like Sunflower WMA, are pretty wide open. You also have the National Wildlife Refuges like Hillside NWR north of Yazoo City, Panther Swamp NWR between Satartia and Holly Bluff, Morgan & Matthews Break and several others. They require their own permit (around $20 I think) but they are very restricted as far as deer hunting and duck hunting. But when they are right, it can really be on. Public land hunting in the state is almost limitless, but you really have to do your homework and field work to be successful. It's cheap, though.
Excellent synopsis, I'd just like to add that there are also draw hunts that you can register for free on the MDWFP website. I applied for the first time this year and got a late December duck hunt a Howard Miller and an early January hunt to Mahannah. Here's the link for more info: https://xnetsecure.mdwfp.com/drawings/public/WmaDrawingsV2.aspx