PDA

View Full Version : I know Stans is still around Starkville but does anyone know if he attends the games?

Saltydog
01-11-2014, 04:52 PM
nt

Coach34
01-11-2014, 05:00 PM
No he doesnt- he didnt even attend the Sweet 16 reunion last year

Also wanted to mention that Stands never put together any kind of Sweet 16 reunion or the 1991 SEC title reunion while he was coach

bully99
01-11-2014, 05:01 PM
You think if he were at the game they would show his mug on TV. Dick Williams got fired and he goes to some games.

bully99
01-11-2014, 05:04 PM
Isn't Stains still on the MSU payroll so that he can get his 25 years with the state of Mississippi

Coach34
01-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Dick Williams got fired.

He actually was given the "retire before you're fired" option like Stands was.

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2014, 05:08 PM
You think if he were at the game they would show his mug on TV. Dick Williams got fired and he goes to some games.

I think it was understood by all that MSU had no choice but to fire Williams.

If you were fired by the place you currently work at, how long would it take you to go back and hang out?

Not mentioned that Stansbury may possibly be booed if he showed up at the Hump.

The guy probably embarrassed and ashamed and doesn't want to deal with it.

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2014, 05:10 PM
He actually was given the "retire before you're fired" option like Stands was.

Interesting...

Who is the last coach from one of the 3 major sports, that MSU actually "fired".

Croom resigned

Why are we so nice?

Coach34
01-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Not mentioned that Stansbury may possibly be booed if he showed up at the Hump.

The guy probably embarrassed and ashamed and doesn't want to deal with it.

I dont think anybody would booo Stands

But Stands never honored anything that happened during the Williams tenure when he was coaching- and I dont expect him to come back into the Hump unless he has to

Coach34
01-11-2014, 05:12 PM
Interesting...

Who is the last coach from one of the 3 major sports, that MSU actually "fired".

Croom resigned

Why are we so nice?

Rockey was officially fired- no way to spin that one

bully99
01-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Come on, same damn thing. The ole you can't fire me, I quit nonsense. It's why job applications ask you that question. Did you quit before you were fired? Stains was fired,,just like Williams, Rockey, Emory and so many others.

Bubb Rubb
01-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Interesting...

Croom resigned

Why are we so nice?

Croom was fired. Stans was fired. Polk was fired. Allowing someone to retire or resign after you tell them what's going down is the same thing as firing them.

the59dawg
01-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Rockey was officially fired- no way to spin that one

At least he wasn't sent off to Siberia. We at least had the wise one, JWS, to recognize something there and bring him back on board, and the two subsequent coaches to keep him there. Must be something good there.

Maroons
01-11-2014, 07:53 PM
His entire life was State basketball for over 25 years. You think it would be easy to go back immediately after being asked to retire?

coastdoglover
01-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Coach, we get it. You hate Stansbury. Let it go, he can do whatever he wants to do and probably is going to his kids athletic events. Get over it, he was 21-8 against the Black bears and if anybody is stupid enough to boo him, then they need help.

bully99
01-11-2014, 09:05 PM
If Stansbury came back to the Hump, he wouldn't get booed. He would get a standing ovation, whether you liked him or not. State fans seldom do that to our own people. We're not Ole Miss.

The Croom Diaries
01-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Stans is on Bill King's XM show once a week during basketball season. He does a pretty good job with it. Usually in around 7:00 am, sure which day though.

Unless he decides to take another job and moves, I'm sure he'll come back in a few years. JWS kind of disappeared until Mullen was hired.

Coach34
01-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Coach, we get it. You hate Stansbury. Let it go, he can do whatever he wants to do and probably is going to his kids athletic events. Get over it, he was 21-8 against the Black bears and if anybody is stupid enough to boo him, then they need help.

I don't hate Stands- I just don't view him as John Wooden like you do. And I never said anything about him getting booed

NeshobaChuck
01-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Stans does not attend any of the games. Just for the fact some loved him some hated him and he doesnt want to create a commotion at games hes moved on hes said that im not the coach rick ray is and hes not causing any trouble

bully99
01-11-2014, 10:34 PM
To be fair to Stains, there aren't many coaches who show up at a place where they got fired. Maybe in years to come if they still live in the area.

TheDogFather
01-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Stansbury is roundly "booed" on this site all the time. Nothing new

bully99
01-12-2014, 12:00 AM
Croom Diaries, you said stansbury is on Bill king's show, is that the same guy who did a show out of Nashville with Bob Bell for about 20 years. That was a very popular sports show in the South. Listened to it in the fall and winter when you could pick it up.

Homedawg
01-12-2014, 12:28 AM
Croom was fired. Stans was fired. Polk was fired. Allowing someone to retire or resign after you tell them what's going down is the same thing as firing them.

Only thing u got wrong was Polk. He wasn't fired. He wasn't going to be. A year later maybe. But not that year. Byrne will admit he couldn't handle that, that early in his regime. Polk quit to "help" Raffo get the job. It didn't work.

bully99
01-12-2014, 01:02 AM
Worst decision of Polk 's career. If he had retired after the cws, Tommy Raffo would have gotten the job. Not sure why Polk didn't retire after that.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
01-12-2014, 02:23 AM
Though I tend to be on the side of "it was time to move on", I will agree with the geezer on this one. There is no need to run down Coach Stansbury for no reason. He did great things for our program. It was time to move on. We did. Now I hope Coach Ray takes the ball and runs even further with it.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
01-12-2014, 02:25 AM
Croom Diaries, you said stansbury is on Bill king's show, is that the same guy who did a show out of Nashville with Bob Bell for about 20 years. That was a very popular sports show in the South. Listened to it in the fall and winter when you could pick it up.

Yeah it is on sirius xm 91. not sure what time because i usually hear him on the replay i think. its usually around 5 when I hear him if I remember correctly.

TheDogFather
01-12-2014, 08:53 AM
This is NOT a statement of whether or not Stansbury should have been let go or not. But I will say that Stansbury does not receive nearly the amount of respect that he deserves.

One of the thing that annoys me the most is when people use Stains or some other disparaging name for Stansbury. Might as well call him asswipe or dipshit.

MadDawg
01-13-2014, 10:41 AM
This is NOT a statement of whether or not Stansbury should have been let go or not. But I will say that Stansbury does not receive nearly the amount of respect that he deserves.

One of the thing that annoys me the most is when people use Stains or some other disparaging name for Stansbury. Might as well call him asswipe or dipshit.

Agree 100%. All that crap does is just keep a rift in the fanbase.

coastdoglover
01-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Coach, why did you delete Hack's post? are you afraid someone might have a different opinion than you other than me?

rabbitthedawg
01-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Stans and Meo live in Browning Creek, still are active with the boy's school activities etc. They are good people. Living their lives and not bothering anyone. He happens to be one of my neighbors and the whole family has never been anything but nice to us. Say what you want about Stans, but I like the guy.

sabaka
01-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Bill King did the sports show with Bob Bell for a number of years out of Nashville. King was a recruiting expert back then. I called into the show back in December 1996 to ask about our juco signees. We had about seven signed juco players. Bill King said that in those seven it was the best recruiting class at State in over ten years. Turned out he knew what he was talking about.

maroonmania
01-13-2014, 12:00 PM
I like Stans and appreciate the good things he did during his time at MSU but it would probably be inappropriate for him to show back up this close to his "retirement" which EVERYONE knows was forced. If he had ACTUALLY voluntarily retired it wouldn't be so inappropriate. I doubt Ray would appreciate him hanging out the Hump either. Just a lot different for Williams to come back 15 years later and be present than Stans showing back up right now.

Coach34
01-13-2014, 12:01 PM
Coach, why did you delete Hack's post? are you afraid someone might have a different opinion than you other than me?

What post? I have no idea what you are talking about

edited to add:

Hack can edit/delete posts here. He is a mod
We have 9 moderators here- if something was done, there are plenty of people that could have done it

coastdoglover
01-13-2014, 12:37 PM
He stated he agreed with CDL on this one. It is gone. That is a shame. sounds like ole Gene to me.

Coach34
01-13-2014, 01:03 PM
I think you are referring to him agreeing with you on Doug Shows. That was in another thread Grandpaw

Barking 13
01-13-2014, 01:53 PM
He's hanging around the water park

coastdoglover
01-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Maybe so, and if so, I apologize. Glad to know the moderators are not like Swan Lake.

I think you are referring to him agreeing with you on Doug Shows. That was in another thread Grandpaw

tcdog70
01-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Though I tend to be on the side of "it was time to move on", I will agree with the geezer on this one. There is no need to run down Coach Stansbury for no reason. He did great things for our program. It was time to move on. We did. Now I hope Coach Ray takes the ball and runs even further with it.

absolutely agree

tcdog70
01-13-2014, 03:48 PM
Stansbury is roundly "booed" on this site all the time. Nothing new

Correct. if he showed up at the Hump, I would give Him a Standing Ovation. (as would the majority). Some of my most favorite moments at the HUMP are because of His Teams.

The Croom Diaries
01-13-2014, 04:00 PM

Yep. I used to listen to him on AM 1510 in the 90s. His show is now on XM 91 weekdays 5-8 am CST. It's the best national college show there is in my opinion. It's called 247 Sports On Campus with Bill King.

bully99
01-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Yeah, Bob Bell and Bill King did that show for years along with Charlie McAlexander(bear) and other assorted characters. King and Bell were both Tennessee people but it's was still a real good show. Bob Bell died a few years ago, but didn't know King was still in radio. When Bill King started to do his recruiting stuff on the radio, the recruiting calls overwhelmed the show and they had to limit those calls to the last two hours on Friday night. Was a four hour show every night.

drunkernhelldawg
01-13-2014, 04:33 PM
No he doesnt- he didnt even attend the Sweet 16 reunion last year

Also wanted to mention that Stands never put together any kind of Sweet 16 reunion or the 1991 SEC title reunion while he was coach

So what?