PDA

View Full Version : Ok guys, this thread should be fun...

CadaverDawg
01-11-2014, 01:54 PM
http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/24410735/las-vegas-man-claims-he-killed-the-first-bigfoot

Dude claims he killed an 800 pound Bigfoot and it is currently having DNA tests run and will be released at a Medical press conference in February. Says he shot it in the back twice and the head once.

Ha, Does anything come of this?

If I was ever dumb enough to believe in Bigfoot and to try and stalk one...I'd end up getting a life sentence for murder after shooting some psycho playing a joke in the woods by wearing a costume or something. Can't believe a news source would actually report this.

BeastMan
01-11-2014, 02:24 PM
I saw that. Apparently, he's about to have a press conference

Offshore Dawg
01-11-2014, 02:41 PM
A few years back. Somebody in the Northwest, as a death bed confession said the whole Big foot thing was a charade he pulled off by dressing in the costume.

WeWillScrewItUp
01-11-2014, 02:44 PM
I can't wait to see what he has to say in his press conference.

SpeckleDawg
01-12-2014, 12:34 AM
I saw another article about this guy. He will "show it to everyone for a fee". Yeah, I bet he will.

Offshore Dawg
01-12-2014, 07:19 AM
You think the LAW might want to see it , game wardens, US Marshals.

Bothrops
01-15-2014, 11:21 AM
Have y'all seen Bobo the Bigfoot hunter?

FlabLoser
01-15-2014, 01:01 PM
You think the LAW might want to see it , game wardens, US Marshals.

Probably not. I contacted MS wildlife officials about a panther I spotted and they were so sure that none are in MS that they didn't want to hear of it.

Johnson85
01-15-2014, 03:35 PM
Probably not. I contacted MS wildlife officials about a panther I spotted and they were so sure that none are in MS that they didn't want to hear of it.

That's odd because I know of one person that had a panther on his land probably 10 years ago. Several sightings. I knew they were very rare in MS but didn't think the official position was that there were none.

Johnson85
01-15-2014, 03:49 PM

DR. SHROPSHIRE: In 1997, a state law was passed regulating keeping certain animals as pets. The panther is among those species requiring a permit to possess. Since passage of the law, there has been an increase in the number of "good" sightings, that is, those that accurately describe the physical characteristics of a panther observed in good light conditions. Another common denominator with these sightings, however, is that they are of animals not exhibiting normal, wild animal behavior. Observations are made in the middle of the day, of animals crossing open pastures, of animals showing no obvious fear of human observers; or any combination of the above. It is believed that many, if not all, of these "good" sightings are of formerly captive animals that were released because their owners could not comply with the new state law. http://www.wildlifemiss.org/magazine/sf99/feature.html

Same article says that panthers cover a huge area, so that to the extent there are wild panthers in Mississippi, they are probably transient and not making a home.

FlabLoser
01-15-2014, 04:02 PM
FWIW, the panther I saw was in east MS headed north as it crossed I-20. Lol. I didn't ask the panther if it was lost, passing through, cruising for chicks, etc.

FISHDAWG
01-16-2014, 01:52 PM
I know a guy who killed a black panther in Jones county in the early 70's and took it straight to the game warden before rigamortis set in then had a local taxidermist mount it and hung it on the wall of his sporting goods store in Ellisville .........and still no "confirmed sighting since 1907
ETA - last year while heading to Keaton Beach to do some fishing I saw one (Tawny colored) myself cross the road in broad daylight ... that's northern Florida panhandle where they have been confirmed for years ... so why would it be considered impossible to have a few in South Miss. ?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-16-2014, 02:43 PM
FWIW, the panther I saw was in east MS headed north as it crossed I-20. Lol. I didn't ask the panther if it was lost, passing through, cruising for chicks, etc.
Where about in east Ms near I-20? I'm in that area and have seen one just north of Vicksburg...

Bothrops
01-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Black panthers are a myth. The only big cats that have ever been known to be melanistic are jaguars (Latin America) and leopards (Asia & Africa) I don't think black examples of either have been documented in the wild for like 40 or 50 years, same with white tigers. You see them in captivity a lot because of selective breeding that's practiced by zoos and exotic cat owners. Panthers indigenous to North America are the same thing as a mountain lion or a cougar; they're a smaller subspecies that were once found all over the eastern U.S., including MS. They are extinct in every state except FL- Everglades. However, the western mountain lion's range is advancing eastward and they could potentially reach MS. The river is a big barrier for this cat and they have no reason to cross. All these animals are golden brown to darker brown. Never black. Puma Concolor Coryi- Florida Panther

FISHDAWG
01-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Black panthers are a myth. The only big cats that have ever been known to be melanistic are jaguars (Latin America) and leopards (Asia & Africa) I don't think black examples of either have been documented in the wild for like 40 or 50 years, same with white tigers. You see them in captivity a lot because of selective breeding that's practiced by zoos and exotic cat owners. Panthers indigenous to North America are the same thing as a mountain lion or a cougar; they're a smaller subspecies that were once found all over the eastern U.S., including MS. They are extinct in every state except FL- Everglades. However, the western mountain lion's range is advancing eastward and they could potentially reach MS. The river is a big barrier for this cat and they have no reason to cross. All these animals are golden brown to darker brown. Never black. Puma Concolor Coryi- Florida Panther

tell it to the guy that owned the sporting goods store - it was black and real and thousands have seen it for themselves

Bothrops
01-22-2014, 11:38 PM
tell it to the guy that owned the sporting goods store - it was black and real and thousands have seen it for themselves

Is this thing sitting next to a fireplace somewhere? If so, I'd like to see it.

FISHDAWG
01-23-2014, 10:17 AM
Is this thing sitting next to a fireplace somewhere? If so, I'd like to see it.

it was on the wall of "George's Sporting Goods Store" in Ellisville for years ... Jack Purvis was the owner and the store closed back in the eighties... have no clue where it is now

rdnkkicker
01-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Last I checked Vicksburg was in West MS...however I know that 12 years or so ago several "pet" mountain lions were released around the military park there.

ETA: intended to quote I_D_EX

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Last I checked Vicksburg was in West MS...however I know that 12 years or so ago several "pet" mountain lions were released around the military park there.

ETA: intended to quote I_D_EX
Hahahahahaha damn, how did I not see that? Oh well, please tell me more about these pet lions. I may re-evaluate my early morning and night running activities

rdnkkicker
01-23-2014, 11:59 AM
Haha all I know was my scout troop did a backpacking trip through the park. We camped near the old shooting range. That evening a couple rangers came by and told us we needed to be on the lookout because they'd found some of the tracks in the park earlier in the day.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Haha all I know was my scout troop did a backpacking trip through the park. We camped near the old shooting range. That evening a couple rangers came by and told us we needed to be on the lookout because they'd found some of the tracks in the park earlier in the day.
Interesting, I'll have to go ask one of my ranger friends if they've ever heard anything about it. How long ago was this?

Bothrops
01-23-2014, 07:51 PM
A mountain lion that was recently killed on a highway in Milford, CT had trekked over 2000 miles from the Black Hills of South Dakota-according to DNA tests. I saw this article in the Dec 2013 National Geographic. The population has rebounded and these cats are on the move. I'd love to see one in the wild. This is the apex predator in all of the lower 48 states except WY, ID and MT where grizzlies are present.