PDA

View Full Version : In the world of not so shocking news

starkvegasdawg
01-11-2014, 01:45 PM
It looks like Jameon has tweeted his intentions to return for his senior year per Bob C. Also tweeted that no news probably good news regarding McKinney. Be great to have both of them back next year.

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Yeah, Jameon is great, but that kind of surprised me as well.

Some interesting tweets yesterday from an NFL Draft Guru. Good information here:

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 16h
This is sad, but 2014 draft class could serve as a lesson to underclassmen. Far too many are leaving school with bad information.

Top 100 picks should leave school early--I'll always say that. But we might have 100 underclassmen enter. Not smart.

19 WRs have already declared early for the 2014 draft. There were only 28 drafted last year. That's a lot of bad info getting handed out.

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 15h
Good question-- 11 of them have top 100 "talent grade" RT @NickLSnyder: Of the 19 WRs, how many do you have Round 1-3 grades on?

My unofficial count of declared underclassmen is 87. That's 14 more than the record set in 2013. And we're still going.

maroonmania
01-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Yeah, Jameon is great, but that kind of surprised me as well.

Some interesting tweets yesterday from an NFL Draft Guru. Good information here:

This is sad, but 2014 draft class could serve as a lesson to underclassmen. Far too many are leaving school with bad information.

Top 100 picks should leave school early--I'll always say that. But we might have 100 underclassmen enter. Not smart.

19 WRs have already declared early for the 2014 draft. There were only 28 drafted last year. That's a lot of bad info getting handed out.

Good question-- 11 of them have top 100 "talent grade" RT @NickLSnyder: Of the 19 WRs, how many do you have Round 1-3 grades on?

My unofficial count of declared underclassmen is 87. That's 14 more than the record set in 2013. And we're still going.

I've always wondered why other professional drafts can't work like the baseball draft? I mean baseball can draft a HS player or a college JR and then if the player doesn't get the offer he wants, as long as he doesn't hire an agent, he can just go to school or go back to school given the situation. Why is a college player automatically disqualified to go back to college just by entering the draft?

Bullmutt
01-11-2014, 03:01 PM
^^This seems to be a very good question. Why should the transition process from collegiate to professional vary from sport to sport? Would it not make more sense for a committee comprised of leading head coaches from the major sports to arrive at some concensus for a process that would be most just to both players and schools?

ShotgunDawg
01-11-2014, 03:04 PM
I've always wondered why other professional drafts can't work like the baseball draft? I mean baseball can draft a HS player or a college JR and then if the player doesn't get the offer he wants, as long as he doesn't hire an agent, he can just go to school or go back to school given the situation. Why is a college player automatically disqualified to go back to college just by entering the draft?

I think it has to do with the nature of the sport and draft.

In baseball, there are 40 rounds to the draft and, even 1st round picks, usually take 2 or 3 years to get to the big leagues. Therefore, not signing one of your picks isn't that devastating. MLB teams are drafting to acquire talent, not to fill a current hole on their roster. NFL teams are drafting to fill a whole on their roster.

Imagine, if Andrew Luck was drafted by the Colts, decided he didn't want to play for the Colts, and returned to Stanford.

The Colts' franchise would be devastated, and will have lost their 1st round pick.

The NFL only has a 7 round draft and with the amount of injuries in the sport, NFL teams simply can't afford to not sign a draft pick.

Furthermore, the baseball draft is much more of crap shoot than the NFL draft, so players should have a better idea where they are going.

The NFL also has the combine. Due to that, the pool of eligible players needs to narrowed down.

There's a 1-week grace period after Jan. 15 underclassman deadline. If kids haven't signed an agent, they can "un-declare", return to school

Bullmutt
01-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Good points, SD. Hadn't considered that.

maroonmania
01-11-2014, 07:03 PM
I think it has to do with the nature of the sport and draft.

In baseball, there are 40 rounds to the draft and, even 1st round picks, usually take 2 or 3 years to get to the big leagues. Therefore, not signing one of your picks isn't that devastating. MLB teams are drafting to acquire talent, not to fill a current hole on their roster. NFL teams are drafting to fill a whole on their roster.

Imagine, if Andrew Luck was drafted by the Colts, decided he didn't want to play for the Colts, and returned to Stanford.

The Colts' franchise would be devastated, and will have lost their 1st round pick.

The NFL only has a 7 round draft and with the amount of injuries in the sport, NFL teams simply can't afford to not sign a draft pick.

Furthermore, the baseball draft is much more of crap shoot than the NFL draft, so players should have a better idea where they are going.

The NFL also has the combine. Due to that, the pool of eligible players needs to narrowed down.

There's a 1-week grace period after Jan. 15 underclassman deadline. If kids haven't signed an agent, they can "un-declare", return to school

While I get your point what it would really mean is that NFL teams would NOT draft underclassmen unless they had every intention of signing him and would get feedback from that player on what they were looking for to be willing to sign. And that would be fine too because players who aren't ready to play in the NFL likely wouldn't get drafted at all and could go on back to college.