PDA

View Full Version : The big green egg smoker, yes or no ??

Offshore Dawg
01-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Building a new house, with an outside cook area. Thought about having the egg recessed in the counter top next to the two burner range top for frying and the gas grill. Those of you with opinions, pile on.

BeastMan
01-10-2014, 05:10 PM
I think they are awesome. Don't personally have one but it's on my list. If you can make it happen, go for it.

Political Hack
01-11-2014, 08:40 AM
there are cheaper versions that work just as well, are lighter, and come with more "bells and whistles."

I've never heard anyone be disappointed with their big green egg, but if you're lookongnfornsomethignjust as good for cheaper I'd check out Komodo Joe and there's one other brand. I'll find it and post later. if I forget, just remind me.

Offshore Dawg
01-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Thanks Hack, I knew there were copies just could not remember the names. Results are the objective not swag.

FlabLoser
01-11-2014, 09:02 AM
Bayou Classic makes one. Made in MS.

Political Hack
01-11-2014, 10:33 AM
"char griller kamado kooker. Sometimes sold as the 'akorn'. Lowes usually has them."

Goat Holder
01-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Never heard anybody complain about them. As far as a table, a friend of mine rigged this up and it looks pretty good (it's a Primo, but I figure it's similar to an egg):

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/q72/s720x720/548376_827601328923_556926562_n.jpg

Barking 13
01-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Brother in Law got himself one of the giant ones for Christmas... took an old stainless restaurant table and cut out a hole with his plasma cutter similar to the table above... he loves it.. as a matter of fact, he gave the electric smoker he just bought in November to my son...

Johnson85
01-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Building a new house, with an outside cook area. Thought about having the egg recessed in the counter top next to the two burner range top for frying and the gas grill. Those of you with opinions, pile on.

Green Eggs are a little overrated, but they are definitely nice. If you have the money to do green egg with a gas grill and a burner, go for it. That would give you a ton of flexibility as far as cooking and convenience. The only thing you won't be able to do is smoke a ton of meat at once (but how often are you really going to want to smoke more than one boston butt or one brisket?)

Get at least a large. I haven't done any smokes on the Extra Large, but I've heard other people say it doesn't heat as consistently as the large. Hasn't been a problem for hamburger, steaks, chicken, etc. when I've cooked on extra larges.

If you go for a knockoff, make sure it's actually copying the material. I looked at a 'knockoff' at Lowes a while back just to price it, and it was nothing like the Egg except for it's shape. If you find a knockoff with the actual ceramic construction or whatever it is, I don't think there is anything magic about the eggs.

Dobberdawg
01-18-2014, 03:58 PM
I've had my egg for four years now and cook on it all the time. I mostly smoke boston butts, ribs, chicken, turkey, or brisket. But I also do pizzas and cook different things in the Dutch oven. I'm currently building the outdoor kitchen in my new house just like you described. I'd say you've thought of the perfect set-up but don't forget the bar sink and fridge.

Every green egg owner I know loves theirs and would have no other. I also have a friend w/a Primo who loves his.

Political Hack
01-18-2014, 04:20 PM
I know a guy that uses the Kamado Kooker for competitions. they aren't ceramic, which is why he prefers them. he can actually move them easier and they don't break. if you go with a big green egg, place it and don't expect to move it. They will crack if they fall over... plus they're heavy as hell.

BeastMan
01-18-2014, 05:29 PM
I saw a Komodo at SAMs for about $500. That's on the table stand. Looked good.

BeastMan
01-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Slight highjack but plugging for a dang good Bulldog. The owner of Paul Anthony's is a certified dealer for the bayou classic cooker. If you wanted that one as opposed to the BGE, I'd highly suggest doing business with him.