PDA

View Full Version : Reb Leaving

mic
01-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Heard Ethan Hutson OT is transferring to Troy. may not be a big name. But anytime you lose a 2deep from the OL not because graduation its a big deal.. Lots of new faces on that OL next year.. and guys back that seem to be very injury prone..

messageboardsuperhero
01-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Damn, I just glanced through their two-deep on the O-line from the Music City Bowl- UM loses 6 of the 10 linemen on their depth chart. Now I know that they get Golson and Morris back from injury, but that's still a TON of bodies to replace.

Their starters should be good at most spots, but UM better be praying to the ghost of Johnny Vaught that they don't have any injuries on the line next year.

Coach34
01-10-2014, 04:34 PM
Damn, I just glanced through their two-deep on the O-line from the Music City Bowl- UM loses 6 of the 10 linemen on their depth chart. Now I know that they get Golson and Morris back from injury, but that's still a TON of bodies to replace.

Their starters should be good at most spots, but UM better be praying to the ghost of Johnny Vaught that they don't have any injuries on the line next year.

Thats why I dont see them as any serious threat next year. They will be solid- but OL is still going to be an Achilles heel for them. Guys get hurt and beat up- and they have a physical team in Boise added to the schedule.

mic
01-10-2014, 05:04 PM
OL is also the hardest position besides QB to make the transfer from high school to college..

Dawgfan77
01-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Doesn't help matters when they chase stars and dont evaluate. Say what you will but HEv an Mullen have done a nice since job of recruiting based on development over the last three years on the OL

Todd4State
01-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Hutson was an Army All-American in 2011. The curse continues for that group that went to Ole Miss.

Whitehead- Decent starter at times, but for Auburn.
Brassell- Canada
Singleton- JSU
CJ- Rollabout
Hutson- Troy.

Todd4State
01-10-2014, 05:55 PM
Doesn't help matters when they chase stars and dont evaluate. Say what you will but HEv an Mullen have done a nice since job of recruiting based on development over the last three years on the OL

Agree and disagree. In 2015, we are only going to have ONE senior o-lineman- and that's if Jocquell Johnson pans out. That said, I like Desper, Jake Thomas, Clayborn, Cole Carter, Senior, Flowers, and Justin Malone. I also like Sean Rawlings, Stallings who I expect to commit soon, and Deion Calhoun.

We've had some award candidates/winners while Hevesey has been here though- Gabe, Sherrod, Day- and then I think Clausell will be a NFL guy as well.

Goat Holder
01-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Won't Justin Malone and Jocquell Johnson both be seniors in 2015? I get your point and agree, but just wanted to point that out. I don't see any way Johnson redshirts next year. If he does, that means he likely sucks and won't matter what age he is in 2015. And yes, Desper, Carter and Senior being juniors ie upperclassmen will help offset that. Plus we know Clayborn will be a starter and he'll be a junior that year too. That's not counting the guys who will be redshirt sophomores that you listed.

A lot rides on Jocquell Johnson, IMO. I really don't want Damein Robinson or a green frosh/sophomore to be the RT.

Todd4State
01-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Won't Justin Malone and Jocquell Johnson both be seniors in 2015? I get your point and agree, but just wanted to point that out. I don't see any way Johnson redshirts next year. If he does, that means he likely sucks and won't matter what age he is in 2015. And yes, Desper, Carter and Senior being juniors ie upperclassmen will help offset that. Plus we know Clayborn will be a starter and he'll be a junior that year too. That's not counting the guys who will be redshirt sophomores that you listed.

A lot rides on Jocquell Johnson, IMO. I really don't want Damein Robinson or a green frosh/sophomore to be the RT.

It is a little bit misleading because I am assuming that Malone will get a medical redhirt for this season- but at that point he would have been at MSU long enough to be considered a senior. And it is true that while we won't have very many seniors, we should have some experience from guys like Clayborn.

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2014, 06:48 PM

I'm fairly certain Malone will be eligible for a medical redshirt

Coach34
01-10-2014, 07:03 PM
I think it's a given at this point we will continue to bring in juco guys for the OL- we'd be stupid not to.

Malone will get a medical RS

The main thing to worry about for the OL is that unless they are very talented- you dont want a player starting there before his 3rd year in college. Redshirt in year 1, back-up reps in year 2, push to start in year 3

engie
01-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Senior shouldn't be left out as a possibility to kick over and take that right tackle spot either... While he's obviously our left tackle of the future, RT is the spot that needs the focus right now -- and I want the best 2 tackles playing. Hopefully Johnson steps into the role and it's a non-factor...

OM will have Tunsil, Golson, Morris, possibly Christian Morris immediately, Taylor, and Cooper the JUCO... Those are some nice pieces... just lacking depth.

HancockCountyDog
01-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Senior shouldn't be left out as a possibility to kick over and take that right tackle spot either... While he's obviously our left tackle of the future, RT is the spot that needs the focus right now -- and I want the best 2 tackles playing. Hopefully Johnson steps into the role and it's a non-factor...

OM will have Tunsil, Golson, Morris, possibly Christian Morris immediately, Taylor, and Cooper the JUCO... Those are some nice pieces... just lacking depth.

I can't imagine Johnson is going to be able to start right away unless we have no one else there. We did that with Siddoway in 2012 because we had no other choice and teams that had decent pass rushers just destroyed us. Im fine with Johnson providing depth next season and maybe playing some snaps, but Im hoping Malone, Clayborn and Senior all are starting somewhere on the OL. We need them to be, we also need to be building our own depth since we lose Beckwith, Day and Clausell next year.

As for OM, Id be just fine if they guys leaving hung around for another year. If Morris comes back healthy their OL could be pretty good. The Bouldin kid is going to be a player while the Johnson kid will probably be urged to leave the program.

Their season will hinge on sunshine's noodle arm. Their defense should be good, and they have plenty of weapons on offense, the problem is that they don't have anyone good enough to get them the ball. Thank god they don't have Dak, if they did, they would scare the shit out of me next season.

engie
01-10-2014, 07:21 PM
The main thing to worry about for the OL is that unless they are very talented- you dont want a player starting there before his 3rd year in college. Redshirt in year 1, back-up reps in year 2, push to start in year 3

Exactly. Clayborn was the first true freshman to see time on the OL for us since Sherrod -- and I wish we hadn't had to use him, although it makes sense if he's going to start next year.

Ole Miss is counting HEAVILY on 2 true sophs, Aaron Morris, and a JUCO transfer(Fehn Cooper). Also trying to work magic to get Christian Morris immediately eligible. They expect heavy reps for Rod Taylor as well. That's a talented OL -- but it's one that is getting baptized by fire -- and it's very young and inexperienced overall...

Todd4State
01-10-2014, 07:22 PM
I can't imagine Johnson is going to be able to start right away unless we have no one else there. We did that with Siddoway in 2012 because we had no other choice and teams that had decent pass rushers just destroyed us. Im fine with Johnson providing depth next season and maybe playing some snaps, but Im hoping Malone, Clayborn and Senior all are starting somewhere on the OL. We need them to be, we also need to be building our own depth since we lose Beckwith, Day and Clausell next year.

As for OM, Id be just fine if they guys leaving hung around for another year. If Morris comes back healthy their OL could be pretty good. The Bouldin kid is going to be a player while the Johnson kid will probably be urged to leave the program.

Their season will hinge on sunshine's noodle arm. Their defense should be good, and they have plenty of weapons on offense, the problem is that they don't have anyone good enough to get them the ball. Thank god they don't have Dak, if they did, they would scare the shit out of me next season.

Thank God we have Dak.

Todd4State
01-10-2014, 07:24 PM
I think it's a given at this point we will continue to bring in juco guys for the OL- we'd be stupid not to.

Malone will get a medical RS

I agree with that and the flip side on 2015, which is granted down the road is while we may only have one senior, we likely will be starting guys that are no younger than juniors.

And I'm pretty sure we are looking at Jamal Danley from EMCC as a JUCO OT for next year's class. He may very well be Clausell's replacement.

messageboardsuperhero
01-10-2014, 07:37 PM
I actually really like our OL in the future.

Senior, Carter, Thomas, and Flowers all look good at tackle.
Malone, Desper, and Clayborne are all good interior O-Linemen.
Then I really like all the guys we're bringing in this year- especially Rawlings, Calhoun, and Stallings.

And all of these guys have 3-4 years of eligibility left- it took us a long time and these young OLs are still really tough to judge, but I think we're finally starting to get quality depth on the O-Line.

EAVdog
01-10-2014, 08:30 PM
How long has it been since Christian Morris played meaningful snaps?

mic
01-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Exactly. Clayborn was the first true freshman to see time on the OL for us since Sherrod -- and I wish we hadn't had to use him, although it makes sense if he's going to start next year.

Ole Miss is counting HEAVILY on 2 true sophs, Aaron Morris, and a JUCO transfer(Fehn Cooper). Also trying to work magic to get Christian Morris immediately eligible. They expect heavy reps for Rod Taylor as well. That's a talented OL -- but it's one that is getting baptized by fire -- and it's very young and inexperienced overall...

They better not count on Rod T playing that much his first season. If so they are in big trouble IMO. He isn't going to be ready in a year.

HancockCountyDog
01-10-2014, 10:04 PM
They better not count on Rod T playing that much his first season. If so they are in big trouble IMO. He isn't going to be ready in a year.

I hope you are right the guys covering the UA game kept talking about how great he looked.

Coach34
01-10-2014, 10:20 PM
I hope you are right the guys covering the UA game kept talking about how great he looked.

Taylor is going to be a good football player- about like Clayborn for us. He needs to play but if he has to start as a true freshman, there will be growing pains. He is a 4 yr guy- not a 3 yr like Tunsil

BurgDawg
01-10-2014, 11:17 PM
I wouldn't count on carter a lot kid didnt play OL in high school very raw and was getting blown up on FG team this year

ShotgunDawg
01-10-2014, 11:40 PM
When you put together all this, what evidence is there that OM will be any better next year than they were this year? I just don't see it