PDA

View Full Version : Making room for the 2014 class (in depth look at the roster)

The Croom Diaries
01-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Stocked roster, 18 commits (plus some more), 11 seniors leaving - it's a tight squeeze. I went through and listed every member of the roster who is on scholarship to find out how much we need and potential candidates for "processing". Enjoy, criticize, examine, whatever.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/01/10/will-2014-signing-class-fit-msus-roster/

Covercorner2
01-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Just my opinion, but I'm not sure writing an article like this is a good idea. Imagine being one of these kids' parents who you are suggesting should lose their scholarship. I would have at least left off specific names.

FISHDAWG
01-10-2014, 12:42 PM
well done - thanks

The Croom Diaries
01-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Just my opinion, but I'm not sure writing an article like this is a good idea. Imagine being one of these kids' parents who you are suggesting should lose their scholarship. I would have at least left off specific names.

Players could use it as motivation, parents could use it as a reality check that they may need to make preparations for the possibilities. These are adults I'm talking about here, Im not going to play wet nurse, these cuts could actually happen.

smootness
01-10-2014, 01:15 PM

I agree. Just my opinion, but I don't like throwing out specific names of guys who could be 'cut'. Articles like this do get around to players, and I just don't see a benefit to it.

You're free to do as you wish, CD; I like the list of returning players and incoming players and the discussion of how the numbers will work, but I'd rather leave it up to the reader to look at the list of players and make guesses rather than spell it out in the article.

Bothrops
01-10-2014, 01:36 PM
DE John Harris has had very little playing time since he's been on the team. I like to see him more next season.

Todd4State
01-10-2014, 01:40 PM
One thing that doesn't get mentioned sometimes is that players that were on scholarship can have their scholarship taken away and still be on the team if they choose to do so. Essentially making them a walk-on. I'm not saying that is what will or won't happen with anyone, or who it will happen to- just that it's an option.

The Croom Diaries
01-10-2014, 01:41 PM
DE John Harris has had very little playing time since he's been on the team. I like to see him more next season.

It's because he isn't very good.

Coach34
01-10-2014, 01:58 PM

It's not all sunshine and rainbows guys. College football is a business and we are restricted with schollys. Everybody talks about Saban "processing" kids every year. It's part of college football.

smootness
01-10-2014, 02:01 PM
One thing that doesn't get mentioned sometimes is that players that were on scholarship can have their scholarship taken away and still be on the team if they choose to do so. Essentially making them a walk-on. I'm not saying that is what will or won't happen with anyone, or who it will happen to- just that it's an option.

Are you sure that's an option? I know that initially a player can't come in as a walk-on if he was 'recruited', meaning he can't have taken an official visit, engaged in phone calls with coaches, etc. Obviously this rule is in place so you don't bend the rules and give yourself more room by having a wealthy kid come in as a walk-on at the last minute.

But I'm not sure what the rules are once a player is on campus. I would think there is something to safeguard against that being abused, but I'm not sure.

smootness
01-10-2014, 02:02 PM
It's not all sunshine and rainbows guys. College football is a business and we are restricted with schollys. Everybody talks about Saban "processing" kids every year. It's part of college football.

His (and my) argument is not about avoiding any discussion of that process, though. I get that it goes on. I just don't think it's a good idea to publish specific names of players currently still on the team that could be 'processed'.

codeDawg
01-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Agree on not mentioning specific names.

There is obviously some room on the OL and DL for fall-outs, but that should be expected. OL and DE are hard for us to recruit and we have to take some projects / risks to make the numbers.

FISHDAWG
01-10-2014, 02:56 PM
[QUOTE=codeDawg;116549]Agree on not mentioning specific names.

we tend to get very specific on here during the season ... why is it ok to use names in our discussions then and not now ...(I hope Devon Bell, Derrick Milton, L Perkins, Tyler Russel, ect. don't read this board because all of them have been criticized here also) .... we recognize and praise when it's due - critique and criticize when that's due ... I see little difference unless we are discussing a recruit

codeDawg
01-10-2014, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=codeDawg;116549]Agree on not mentioning specific names.

we tend to get very specific on here during the season ... why is it ok to use names in our discussions then and not now ...(I hope Devon Bell, Derrick Milton, L Perkins, Tyler Russel, ect. don't read this board because all of them have been criticized here also) .... we recognize and praise when it's due - critique and criticize when that's due ... I see little difference unless we are discussing a recruit

I think it's in bad taste to publicly suggest a specific person should lose their scholarship, housing, food, etc. We are not talking about people making $300M or $2.5MM. We're talking about kids.

It's one thing to say Bob needs to step up at the office. It's another to say he should lose his job.

FISHDAWG
01-10-2014, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=FISHDAWG;116551]

It's one thing to say Bob needs to step up at the office. It's another to say he should lose his job.

and what happens if Bob doesn't step it up ?

codeDawg
01-10-2014, 03:17 PM
[QUOTE=codeDawg;116555]

and what happens if Bob doesn't step it up ?

You might privately suggest to Bob's boss something needs to be done, but you don't post it in writing in the lobby of the building.

The Croom Diaries
01-10-2014, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=FISHDAWG;116551]

I have examples of players who may be on the chopping block if they don't step up in the spring. I never said any specific player should be cut.

This was written for the fans, not the coaches. They couldn't give two dingleberries what I have to say, so it will have no bearing. If players get their feelings hurt then by damn they ain't tough enough to play college football. Hack up your skirt, grab your balls and get it done in spring ball to earn your scholly.

mic
01-10-2014, 03:59 PM
We are very close , aren't talking about many spots. the numbers will work out fine.

preachermatt83
01-10-2014, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=codeDawg;116555]

I have examples of players who may be on the chopping block if they don't step up in the spring. I never said any specific player should be cut.

This was written for the fans, not the coaches. They couldn't give two dingleberries what I have to say, so it will have no bearing. If players get their feelings hurt then by damn they ain't tough enough to play college football. Hack up your skirt, grab your balls and get it done in spring ball to earn your scholly.

#TRUTH!!!