PDA

View Full Version : UPig's Mike Anderson is 2-19 on the road in the SEC as HC

Coach34
01-09-2014, 12:48 PM
How can they be so bad on the road? Hell, Ray got one last year with the least talented SEC team in the last 30 years

With last night's beating by an average A&M team, that seat is gonna get hot

maroonmania
01-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Good, we get them in Starkville this year.

HancockCountyDog
01-09-2014, 01:02 PM
How can they be so bad on the road? Hell, Ray got one last year with the least talented SEC team in the last 30 years

With last night's beating by an average A&M team, that seat is gonna get hot

That was a home run hire too. No one questioned that hire.

Drugdog
01-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Good, we get them in Starkville this year.

It's Basketball. They get us in Fayetnam too.

Dawg61
01-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Damn the Piggies take their hoops serious. He won't be long there with that shittastic record.

Dawg61
01-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Is anyone going to pay Gregg Marshall and steal him from Wichita? They are undefeated after going to the final 4 and ranked in the top 10 again.

engie
01-09-2014, 04:35 PM
It's Basketball. They get us in Fayetnam too.

No they don't.

engie
01-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Is anyone going to pay Gregg Marshall and steal him from Wichita? They are undefeated after going to the final 4 and ranked in the top 10 again.

Very few have the money at this point... He's a borderline top 25 salary already...

Schultzy
01-09-2014, 05:18 PM
That was a home run hire too. No one questioned that hire.

I loved watching his teams play at UAB and Missouri and thought he was the perfect fit at Arkansas.

Seeing that record is shocking to me but seeing the deterioration of college hoops overall from the early 90's to now is too.

MadDawg
01-09-2014, 05:21 PM
No they don't.

That all changed with the elimination of the divisions in basketball.

Wow. After looking at the schedule, we get Kentucky twice this year. Georgia too.

MarketingBully01
01-09-2014, 05:32 PM
I was wondering the same thing and thought he had interest in our job at some point. IMO, if we had picked a target like a Prohm or a Marshall and just gone full steam after them aka paying $2 mill a year and acted like they were #1 targets we would have gotten who we wanted except for Smart.

We just ran that search like we didn't give a shit about basketball and got the guy you would get after running a search like we did.

I think what people don't understand in this big argument is as a fan you can want Stansbury gone but be highly disappointed with how the coaching search went. Those are two mutually exclusive issues. If we had gotten a Marshall or a Prohm we would be in much better shape.

Coach, you point out Martin as a guy who is losing at USC (who has won on a consistent basis at USC? No one) but you don't also mention the success the Coach at Illinois is having or even Larry Brown at SMU. All started the same year that Ray did. Does SMU have a better basketball program then us? Hell no! Just my two cents but we ended up with the coach we did because the coaching search was more of a dumpster fire then the program ever thought about being...

engie
01-09-2014, 05:57 PM
I was wondering the same thing and thought he had interest in our job at some point. IMO, if we had picked a target like a Prohm or a Marshall and just gone full steam after them aka paying $2 mill a year and acted like they were #1 targets we would have gotten who we wanted except for Smart.
We tried -- and were willing to pay up to $2mil/yr. Marshall showed initial interest -- before later calling us back and removing his name from consideration. The dumpster fire of our overall program with the amount of talent leaving was considered a big turn off behind the scenes.

We just ran that search like we didn't give a shit about basketball and got the guy you would get after running a search like we did. I think what people don't understand in this big argument is as a fan you can want Stansbury gone but be highly disappointed with how the coaching search went. Those are two mutually exclusive issues.
The search was botched. No one denies that.

If we had gotten a Marshall or a Prohm we would be in much better shape.
I don't understand how you could possibly pretend to know this. Marshall went 17-17(8-10) in his second year there -- and was one whole win better than Ray in year 1. Didn't make the tourney until year 5 at Wichita. What part of that implies immediate turn around "that would have us in much better shape right now"?

And that's a coach who I believe may be the best at a non-traditional power job out there. He's CERTAINLY on the same plane as Shaka in that regard.

Coach, you point out Martin as a guy who is losing at USC (who has won on a consistent basis at USC? No one) but you don't also mention the success the Coach at Illinois is having or even Larry Brown at SMU. All started the same year that Ray did. Does SMU have a better basketball program then us? Hell no! Just my two cents but we ended up with the coach we did because the coaching search was more of a dumpster fire then the program ever thought about being...
Groce didn't inherit a dumpster fire. Larry Brown has won an NCAA and NBA title. Hardly apples to apples.

All of this is a long-winded way of avoiding giving Rick Ray a fair shake. You talk about the disconnect between saying the search was botched and us needing to keep Stansbury -- yet you ignore the disconnect between admitting the search was botched and Rick Ray ultimately proving to be the wrong answer. We don't know that yet.

Coach34
01-09-2014, 06:01 PM

We contacted Marshall and he had initial interest. An hour or two after he was contacted- he called back and said he was no longer interested. Not sure what happened in that hour or two- but my guess is that he made some calls and asked about the job, was told the shape it was in, and said no way. We waited about two years too late to hire a Smart or Marshall- they have better jobs than ours imo. The rise of the mid-majors is because of the shittiness that has become college basketball.

Nobody is happy with the coaching search- but in hindsight it's easy to see why alot of people had little interest after the dumpster fire we had become. You also had our AD telling candidates a clean up of the program had to be done. Bottom line is that they decided to hire Ray, and the guy is doing a pretty good job considering. He has had no luck at all so far with injuries and guys getting their shit in order to get into school, but that doesnt stop him from coaching his ass off and our players from playing hard.

We play hard, and we are well-coached. I can live with that in the short term. Next year with Daniels and the other big guy, Ware will have a little help inside. With more players, more maturity, and some support, we could be decent again next season. Get on board, support the guy, and let's see what happens the next 2 years. If we arent fighting for an NCAA berth by the end of season 4, then we can go in another direction. But I like what I'm seeing in this rebuild, just have to perservere through the rest of this year