PDA

View Full Version : Talty's Targeted 22 article.....

Goat Holder
01-09-2014, 12:05 PM
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20140109/SPORTS05/301090040/Targeted-22-From-start-finish-Callaway-s-Taylor-holds-top-spot

Ole Miss puff piece or the truth?

Seems like he goes out of his way to say how solid all Ole Miss commitments are, but makes sure to mention that all of ours are taking visits. But with wavering rebel recruits, he says they'll still end up a rebel.

FISHDAWG
01-09-2014, 12:29 PM
the guy is on a mission ..... kinda like MSNBC

bully99
01-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Thought the same thing when I read it. An OM puff piece that talked about how most of the State committs are wavering. Talty, Stevens, Weiner, Cleveland, Brando and others are rebel mouthpieces.

01-09-2014, 12:47 PM
When we post CL articles, can a copy/paste be done to keep these idiots page count down?

01-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Like this:

Two big names have dropped out of the latest Clarion-Ledger Targeted 22 rankings ... but not because of poor performance.

Meridian safety C.J. Hampton and Callaway athlete Ronald Walker were both taken off the list after leaving high school early to enroll in college. Hampton, who was No. 2 on the list, had his first day of classes at Ole Miss on Tuesday.

Walker, who was No. 17, left Callaway early to enroll at Copiah-Lincoln Community College.

Those early departures mean two new names to the final list. Olive Branch linebacker Alfred Dickens is back after missing last month’s update, while Grenada linebacker Genard Avery is a first-time addition at No. 22.

1. Rod Taylor, Callaway, offensive lineman (Previous: 1)
Taylor, who is committed to Ole Miss, earned strong reviews for his recent play at the Under Armour All-American Game. The big offensive lineman has been the No. 1 player in the Targeted 22 all year.

2. Breeland Speaks, Callaway, defensive lineman (3)
With Hampton dropping out of the list, Speaks moves up one spot in the latest rankings. The Ole Miss commit recently picked up a scholarship offer from LSU, which he has called his dream school in the past. He’s expected to take official visits to LSU, Ole Miss and Arkansas.

3. Aeris Williams, West Point, running back (4)
Williams, who rushed for 2,033 yards and 28 touchdowns this season, is committed to Mississippi State but could take an official visit to Ole Miss.

4. Gerri Green, Greenville-Weston, linebacker (5)
Green could take visits to Auburn and Vanderbilt but has maintained his commitment to MSU. The talented linebacker is rehabbing after suffering a torn ACL injury during the regular season.

5. Markell Pack, Purvis, wide receiver (6)
Ole Miss commit has a chance to play early with star Donte Moncrief leaving early for the NFL.

6. Devin Voorhies, Wilkinson County, athlete (7)
Voorhies is possibly the most understated, drama-free player in Mississippi. He’s been committed to LSU for more than a year, and all indications are that he’ll sign with the Tigers in February.

7. Jamoral Graham, Newton County, ATH (8)
Graham could take an official visit to Ole Miss this month but is still committed to Mississippi State. He was banged up for most of the season and is currently suffering from a shoulder injury.

8. Sammie Epps, Greenwood, WR (9)
Epps surprised some when he de-committed from Ole Miss, but there is still a very good chance he ends up as a Rebel.

9. Alvin Moore, Bassfield, LB (10)
In-state schools continue to recruit Moore, but he has made it clear he is firmly committed to Ole Miss. The speedy linebacker is a smart leader on the field who should have a considerable impact in Oxford.

10. Jesse Jackson, Petal, WR (11)
Jackson suffered a season-ending knee injury when he tore his ACL and MCL against Jim Hill. Before his injury, the MSU recruit proved he was a complete receiver.

11.Tito Windham, Harrison Central, defensive back (12)
Oklahoma commit is undersized but fast and cagey in coverage. He recently played in the Semper Fidelis All-American Game in California.

12. Brandon Bryant, Tunica Rosa Fort, ATH (15)
Bryant continues to impress and move up the Targeted 22 rankings. The dynamic athlete, who is committed to Mississippi State, is expected to take an official visit to Ole Miss in two weeks.

13. D.K. Buford, Lafayette County, RB (13)
The Dandy Dozen running back has elite speed but isn’t a prototypical running back. How Ole Miss uses him will be key to how successful he is in the SEC.

14. Lashard Durr, Harrison Central, DB (14)
Durr, who is committed to Mississippi State, wasn’t picked for any of the all-star games, but he’s plenty talented. If he can stay motivated and qualify, he could be a big addition for the Bulldogs.

15. Grant Harris, Clinton, DL (16)
It is still looking like a decision near National Signing Day in February for the 6-foot-5, 270-pound defensive lineman. Mississippi State, Miami and Southern Miss remain the teams to beat for Harris.

16. J.T. Gray, Clarksdale, ATH (18)
Gray remains uncommitted and will likely decide the week of National Signing Day. He has publicly named Mississippi State his leader, but it’s unclear whether MSU will take another defensive back.

17. Dayall Harris, Callaway (19)
Harris could take an official visit to Arkansas but is still committed to Ole Miss. The 6-4, 185-pound receiver plays multiple sports at Callaway and is one of the best athletes in this class.

18. Ethan Frith, North Pike, OL (20)
The 6-7, 300-pound offensive tackle hasn’t wavered on Florida State since committing to the national champions in the summer. Frith is raw so he might not get a chance to block for Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston before he bolts for the NFL, but his ceiling is very high.

19. Sean Rawlings, MRA, OL (21)
Ole Miss has recently come into the picture with Rawlings, a Mississippi State commit. He impressed all season with good footwork and stamina. Some like him as a center at the next level, but he has the versatility to move around on the line.

20. Dontavian Lee, RB, Forrest AHS (22)
It will be interesting to see whether Mississippi State moves him to the other side of the ball next year due to a crowded backfield.

21. Alfred Dickens, Olive Branch, LB (NR)
Ole Miss commit suffered a serious concussion against South Panola on Oct. 4 and missed the rest of the season. When healthy, Dickens showed he could be either a linebacker or safety at the next level.

22. Genard Avery, Grenada, LB/DL (NR)
Avery moves into the Targeted 22 for the first time after a strong performance at the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic in December. The Louisiana-Lafayette commit is undersized but has shown he can play multiple positions on defense, including defensive end.

maroonmania
01-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Apparently all of our commits COULD take a visit somewhere. Well hell, anybody COULD do anything if they take a mind to. Pathetic.

smootness
01-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Eh, I don't think that's bad. The only one that sticks out to me is Epps, but the rest seem fair on both sides. He didn't say anything about Speaks still expected to go to Ole Miss.

And the fact is, everything he wrote is true. Now, most of those 'other visits' won't actually take place, but the fact is, those kids are talking about it right now.

Which is why we don't need to wait until late in the game to tell these kids the negatives of taking visits elsewhere. I don't think Green, Williams, or Graham have any intention of going anywhere but State yet they've talked publicly about possibly taking other visits 'just to go on a trip' basically. Our staff will let them know, probably on their visit to State, the negatives of going on those trips, but we need to stop them from ever even discussing it publicly, because this is what happens, and the appearance is that they're all wavering.

MarketingBully01
01-09-2014, 01:09 PM
This was actually on a newspaper page? This is pitiful. This looks like it came from a message board. Really poor "journalism." He really should try a different profession like flipping burgers or something...

CJDAWG85
01-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Everything is spun positive for OM, but all of our commits COULD take OV at other schools, or OM is now in the picture. This guy sucks.

NeshobaChuck
01-09-2014, 01:28 PM
I have said it since Day 1 Talty is an OM guy but claims he only writes for MSU. He's OM biased on everything he writes i don't like the guy wish he would just stop journalism and find a new everyday job cause he's a terrible journalist. Or he could stop being so biased that would help. Heck I agree any prospect can take a visit anywhere and as far as Graham taking visit to OM let him they havent offered the kid a scholarship so I'm not worried there heck he could be going there to do some recruiting of his own for MSU which is what I think he's done

Sacrifice
01-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Everything is spun positive for OM, but all of our commits COULD take OV at other schools, or OM is now in the picture. This guy sucks.

Exactly he makes it look like all our recruits are wavering and the OM recruits are solid. I love how he worked OM into almost all of our recruits notes.

gravedigger
01-09-2014, 01:50 PM
If the continual reports of us getting our asses handed to us in recruiting over the last decade have only produced 4 of 10 for them, what credence should we really give this kind of news?

maroonmania
01-09-2014, 01:52 PM
I have said it since Day 1 Talty is an OM guy but claims he only writes for MSU. He's OM biased on everything he writes i don't like the guy wish he would just stop journalism and find a new everyday job cause he's a terrible journalist. Or he could stop being so biased that would help. Heck I agree any prospect can take a visit anywhere and as far as Graham taking visit to OM let him they havent offered the kid a scholarship so I'm not worried there heck he could be going there to do some recruiting of his own for MSU which is what I think he's done

Well he doesn't write for MSU, he just covers recruiting in Mississippi for the CL. But there is no doubt he slants everything to OM when given a chance. Really I wouldn't have that much problem with this if he had left out about every one of our recruits COULD take a visit. If a visit is scheduled then fine report it but constantly saying a guy COULD do this or that is just garbage. ANY of these guys COULD do a lot of things.

Barking 13
01-09-2014, 02:47 PM
The only reason our commits would visit OM is to get a little bit of that bloomer puddin they hand out up there...

HancockCountyDog
01-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Guys look at the list again - 8 OM commits, 8 MSU commits;

A few out of state commits, and a couple of kids that don't have offers yet.

He wouldn't rate OM's commits as 8 of the ten best, the same way he couldn't rate 8 of our commits in the top 10; You can't piss off your customers that way. The same way you don't see restaurants in Jackson saying "Ole Miss fans only" or "MSU fans only". Its not a coincidence that he has 8 for each team. If we had 9, the bears would have 9;

That is the only way you keep the peace and don't alienate more of your customers.

SDDawg
01-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Much ado about nothing and this is 90% true, no doubt that OM courts Talty more effectively than State does but other than his Liggins piece which was poorly written I really don't have a problem with him.

archdog
01-09-2014, 10:19 PM
The biggest problem with Talty, other than everything he is about, is that MSU doesn't have an ass clown that just promotes our university and football program at every turn working for any of the state newspapers.

Can we not get one guy that is a complete homer on our side.

esplanade91
01-10-2014, 12:05 PM
All Ole Miss recruits could do big things for the Rebels, while all the MSU commits could take visits elsewhere.

Barking 13
01-10-2014, 04:08 PM
good job Bo, but you left a little sump'n out of the Rawlings thing...

Offshore Dawg
01-10-2014, 04:49 PM
The owners of the CL have been old miss supporters. They do not like pro State reporting.