PDA

View Full Version : Danial Garner is transfering

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Haven't seen this mentioned yet. Honestly this just makes the decision making process for DH easier. Still lost a nice bat though.

smootness
01-08-2014, 04:49 PM
That is strange and definitiely stings. I guess Gavin Collins better be ready to go, we'll have to count on him now. I know we have other Cs, but I think Garner was going to get a ton of ABs this year.

bulldogcountry1
01-08-2014, 04:50 PM
That's a big surprise. Sounded like he was going to be a key player. He must not have heard what he wanted in the post-fall meeting.

messageboardsuperhero
01-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Damn. Where did you see this?

I really hate that- Garner could have been a big bat for us.

Homedawg
01-08-2014, 04:53 PM
That's a big surprise. Sounded like he was going to be a key player. He must not have heard what he wanted in the post-fall meeting.

He wasn't going to catch. He was going to get Ab's but not catching probably sealed this deal. To add, he wasnt going to start next year behind the dish either. I hate it cause he can hit. Good luck to him.

maroonmania
01-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Yep, that stings, he was one of the few potential power bats we had available.

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-08-2014, 04:54 PM
He must not have heard what he wanted in the post-fall meeting.

That's what I assume, we have other catchers that are way better than him behind the plate

Original48
01-08-2014, 04:58 PM
Yep, that stings, he was one of the few potential power bats we had available.
This. Only got to see one game of the Bulldog World Series this fall. And Garner CRUSHED.

bulldogcountry1
01-08-2014, 05:00 PM
It's hard to imagine a player leaving a situation like this at this point in time just to be able to catch more. Is projected professionally to catch?

Coach34
01-08-2014, 05:02 PM
It's hard to imagine a player leaving a situation like this at this point in time just to be able to catch more. Is projected professionally to catch?

No- that is exactly the nature of the college game today. Encourages transfers. He wasnt going to get the playing time- and needs to go somewhere else. I hate it, because he can hit

bulldogcountry1
01-08-2014, 05:08 PM
No- that is exactly the nature of the college game today. Encourages transfers. He wasnt going to get the playing time- and needs to go somewhere else. I hate it, because he can hit

I was speaking more about his individual situation. I've never seen him catch, so I can't speak for that. It's obvious that Cohen put defense as the top priority. I figured a guy like Randolph would have left first.

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Damn. Where did you see this?

I really hate that- Garner could have been a big bat for us.
I have some very trustworthy sources. Haha.

Five-tool Poster
01-08-2014, 05:11 PM

Daniel Garner will be playing for MSU.

maroonmania
01-08-2014, 05:12 PM
So can he transfer and play THIS spring? I'm assuming so or this makes no sense. He already redshirted last season.

maroonmania
01-08-2014, 05:13 PM

Same sources that told people Derek Milton was transferring to McNeese State?

Goat Holder
01-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Not seeing this anywhere else. Sure you got your sources correct?

TheRef
01-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Yeah, he hasn't said anything on the topic on Twitter. I think this is another load of BS like the Milton rumor.

MarketingBully01
01-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Is this the second rumor he has posted that did not make the cut?

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Same sources that told people Derek Milton was transferring to McNeese State?

If players on the baseball team started that rumor, then sure.

Goat Holder
01-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Haha.

Might be time for ye ole banhammer for this character

smootness
01-08-2014, 05:27 PM
I don't believe he's the one who started the Milton rumor.

messageboardsuperhero
01-08-2014, 05:30 PM
This just doesn't seem to pass the smell test to me- is Garner not right in the middle of the catching competition?

You may end up being right, but I'll have to see something more concrete than "internet sources" to believe he's transferring a month before the season.

ETA: And WeWonItAll(Most) didn't start the Milton rumors. That was someone with about five posts.

Goat Holder
01-08-2014, 05:33 PM
If this is true, it should be easy to figure out. He'd already be gone by now, as in, NOT as Mississippi State if he was planning on transferring. He won't stay another season and burn a year of eligibility. Classes don't begin until January 13th.

maroonmania
01-08-2014, 05:44 PM
In baseball in D1 can you transfer anytime you want without having to sit out?

bully99
01-08-2014, 05:52 PM
Changed the rule few years ago, must sit one year.

Don't know abot Garner, but I think he is dating a MSU softball player.

You're not confusing Garner with a MSU volleyball player.?? I saw a week ago Kimmy Gardiner, one of the top freshman volleyball players tweet out several Oklahoma volleyball players welcoming her to the Oklahoma "family ". I assume she's leaving. Just a theory.

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-08-2014, 05:57 PM
They don't return to campus until tomorrow, so you'll most likely get "more concrete" evidence in the next few days.

But I don't think he was necessarily in the catching competition, DH on the other hand he was one of the front runners along with Humphreys/Detz (which ever one isn't playing 3B)

dawgoneyall
01-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Dang. He could swing the bat.

I hope he transfers far away and doesn't get the opportunity to beat us later.

maroonmania
01-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Changed the rule few years ago, must sit one year.

Don't know abot Garner, but I think he is dating a MSU softball player.

You're not confusing Garner with a MSU volleyball player.?? I saw a week ago Kimmy Gardiner, one of the top freshman volleyball players tweet out several Oklahoma volleyball players welcoming her to the Oklahoma "family ". I assume she's leaving. Just a theory.

If that is true it would be sort of stupid to transfer unless he is REALLY unhappy. He would be in his 3rd year out of HS before touching a college baseball field if he does.

bully99
01-08-2014, 06:06 PM
If that's the case, then it's a big loss. Who else is transferring. Apparently he was on campus today because john marc Shelby tweeted something about he and garner playing on the softball field with a softball player.

bully99
01-08-2014, 06:08 PM
Mania, he could transfer down and play immediately, but that kid has d1 talent.

Todd4State
01-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Unless there is something crazy that happened over Christmas break, Garner is coming back.

Raytoraid83
01-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Better check your sources, this rumor is BS.

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Wow, it does look like I was wrong. I already told y'all where I got it from though, and I had no reason to doubt them. Sorry for posting what appears to be false info. Feel free to delete the thread. Or leave it here and let the board rip me. Either way Is fine

Todd4State
01-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Wow, it does look like I was wrong. I already told y'all where I got it from though, and I had no reason to doubt them. Sorry for posting what appears to be false info. Feel free to delete the thread. Or leave it here and let the board rip me. Either way Is fine

It's not a big deal. I don't mind rumors- some are going to be wrong by nature. I don't think you should be bashed because you didn't mean anything malicious I don't think.

RougeDawg
01-08-2014, 07:19 PM
One question. I don't know who y'all are talking about but the concensus us he can hit. Why wouldn't he get a good bit if PT if he can hit as well as you all agree he does? Hitting is the name of the game and coaches find PT for the better hitters. Or they're supposed to but we know Cohen doesn't always do things by the book.

The Croom Diaries
01-08-2014, 07:19 PM
This is a good lesson in presentation. If you saw something reported than post it as fact, but if you hear something through the grapevine post as such. I assumed from your original post that it had been reported. Plus this gives you some wiggle room if it turns out to be false.

Jacksondevildog
01-08-2014, 07:26 PM
I believe he mentioned that his source was a player on the team. Obviously something changed with Garners situation for the better.

messageboardsuperhero
01-08-2014, 07:32 PM
One question. I don't know who y'all are talking about but the concensus us he can hit. Why wouldn't he get a good bit if PT if he can hit as well as you all agree he does? Hitting is the name of the game and coaches find PT for the better hitters. Or they're supposed to but we know Cohen doesn't always do things by the book.

Because unless we have a catcher who can hit like Ted Williams, Cohen is almost always going to play the guy who is better defensively over the guy who isn't so good defensively, but can mash. All that being said though, I've heard Garner has gotten a good bit better behind the dish, so we shall see.

I fully expect Garner to split time with Walker at catcher this year- we'll need at least two solid players at that position anyway.

Todd4State
01-08-2014, 07:49 PM

I agree with Cohen most of the time- but Garner was one of the few things I disagreed with. I would have liked for him to have at the very least seen some action as a catcher against Valley and Alcorn. If for no other reason than I would like to have a catcher with SOME experience even if it's only against SWAC teams.

As far as his hitting, Garner did struggle big time when he arrived on campus. If I remember correctly, he had one of it not the worst BA on the team. He has come a long way since he came to school.

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-08-2014, 07:50 PM
My mistake, lesson learned. I'm glad to be wrong though, he is one of the best hitters on the team. The only problem is he's at best the 3rd best catcher defensively.

Todd4State
01-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Because unless we have a catcher who can hit like Ted Williams, Cohen is almost always going to play the guy who is better defensively over the guy who isn't so good defensively, but can mash. All that being said though, I've heard Garner has gotten a good bit better behind the dish, so we shall see.

I fully expect Garner to split time with Walker at catcher this year- we'll need at least two solid players at that position anyway.

I've heard a lot of people mention Zach Randolph getting a lot of playing time as well.

I can't wait to see Chase Vallot assuming he makes it to school. He can catch and he can mash.

Todd4State
01-08-2014, 07:54 PM
My mistake, lesson learned. I'm glad to be wrong though, he is one of the best hitters on the team. The only problem is he's at best the 3rd best catcher defensively.

Walker and Randolph are very good defensively. Collins was hurt some in the fall, so it's hard to say where exactly he is- but he does have an outrageous pop time- I think it was under 2.0 but I can't remember exactly what it was. With Vallot coming in next year (fingers crossed), I'm thinking that there's a good chance that Collins switches to either third base or outfield.

WeWonItAll(Most)
01-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Walker and Randolph are very good defensively. Collins was hurt some in the fall, so it's hard to say where exactly he is- but he does have an outrageous pop time- I think it was under 2.0 but I can't remember exactly what it was. With Vallot coming in next year (fingers crossed), I'm thinking that there's a good chance that Collins switches to either third base or outfield.

From what I've been told Collins is the real deal. But like you said, he didn't get a chance to showcase it being hurt a lot of the fall.