PDA

View Full Version : Big Texas booster rips Charlie Strong

FlabLoser
01-08-2014, 10:32 AM
I heard Bo Bounds talking about this, so I googled it to get a link to post here:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/texas-booster-red-mccombs-charlie-strong-kick-in-the-face/

(A side note, that website looks really cool and I'll be adding it to my semi-regular reading list. It is impressive Gannett did something so right.)

So, Red McCombs who is a billionaire Texas booster isn't happy that the boosters didn't get to hand-pick their new coach. And he is no fan of Strong. He says:

"?I think the whole thing is a bit sideways,? McCombs said during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. ?I don?t have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.
?But I don?t believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don?t think it adds up.?"

Yeah, maybe a coordinator. Maybe a two time national champion DC at Florida. Maybe.

It is nice to have wealthy boosters that support the program, but I suppose that comes at a price.

BeastMan
01-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Texas boosters are killing Texas football right now

mparkerfd20
01-08-2014, 10:44 AM
It's because Charlie looks different than the booster.**

smootness
01-08-2014, 10:51 AM
This is why I have no issue if Stricklin somewhat shut some of our boosters out of the basketball hiring process. Sometimes powerful boosters are really, really stupid.

Johnson85
01-08-2014, 11:02 AM

You can be stupid without being racist. I'd guess it's a lot more likely that the booster (a) thinks anything less than Saban, John Gruden, or one of the Harbaugh brothers wouldn't add up and (b) is pissed that he didn't have more input.

I actually wouldn't be thrilled with the coaching choice. If you're Texas, you should be able to get a coach like Strong after he's sustained that success for a couple of more years at Louisville. They should be able to poach a proven coach, like maybe Patterson. Strong may end up being the best possible hire, but it seems like very slightly more risk than they should have to take.

ckDOG
01-08-2014, 11:05 AM
Welcome to Texas, where no matter what you do, you end up pissing off a billionaire.

Good problem to have.

smootness
01-08-2014, 11:11 AM
You can be stupid without being racist. I'd guess it's a lot more likely that the booster (a) thinks anything less than Saban, John Gruden, or one of the Harbaugh brothers wouldn't add up and (b) is pissed that he didn't have more input.

Eh, I hate when people read racism into situations where there is none, but it definitely was one of my first thoughts...Charlie Strong has had success everywhere he's been, including as the long-time coordinator for national title-winning Florida and as head coach at a good program that won a BCS bowl...and a Texas booster thinks he could be a 'great position coach' and maybe a coordinator?

I'm sorry, but that screams, 'Based on my personally-held stereotypes, this guy doesn't look competent'. Because that's the dumbest thing you can say. I'll put it this way, do you think he would have said that about someone like Gene Chizik or even Will Muschamp?

ETA: Just checked, and the last time Strong was a position coach was 1998. There are a lot of things wrong in college sports, but definitely one of the biggest problems is that complete morons like Red McCombs have an incredible amount of influence just because they have money. I realize this is the case in a lot of ways in this country, but university presidents need to start having a little more backbone.

slickdawg
01-08-2014, 11:12 AM
That sense of entitlement, that self-righteous arrogance, it's in Austin and it's in Oxford.

23-3 in his last two seasons, including a sugar bowl win over then #3 BCS Florida. Yeah, he might just make a decent position coach. Or maybe he's just too dark. I'd take him as a HC in a minute.

Goat Holder
01-08-2014, 11:12 AM
I think he's absolutely correct, but his delivery was wrong. He came off looking like an arrogant racist redneck.

But it's true that they could have gotten a better hire for Texas than Charlie Strong.

smootness
01-08-2014, 11:17 AM
I think he's absolutely correct, but his delivery was wrong. He came off looking like an arrogant racist redneck.

So you think he's correct that it's maybe, just possibly, perhaps in the realm of believability, that Strong could make a good coordinator?

Goat Holder
01-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Did you read my post? Geez, son. Tell me that you did indeed comprehend what I was conveying and that I don't have to explain this further.

Goat Holder
01-08-2014, 11:22 AM
Yeah, all that money they donate, THAT'S the problem with Texas. Yep.

smootness
01-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Did you read my post? Geez, son. Tell me that you did indeed comprehend what I was conveying and that I don't have to explain this further.

Well, that was what he said. His 'delivery' was his point. So you're telling me that if I said Ty Willingham was a complete and utter moron who had no idea how to read or add 2 and 2 and wouldn't know a decent football player if it smacked him in the face and could possibly be a good RB coach for State, you would say that my assertion that Ty Willingham isn't the best possible HC for State is correct but simply my delivery was wrong?

Johnson85
01-08-2014, 11:37 AM
I'm sorry, but that screams, 'Based on my personally-held stereotypes, this guy doesn't look competent'. Because that's the dumbest thing you can say. I'll put it this way, do you think he would have said that about someone like Gene Chizik or even Will Muschamp?

Or it screams, "I have no idea what I'm talking about. I wouldn't have known who Chizik was when Auburn hired him. I wouldn't have known who Muschamp was when Florida hired him except that he was a DC at the school I give money to and he jumps around like an idiot where I couldn't help but notice him." The guy could be a cross burning, hood wearing Ole Miss fan for all I know. I think his comment about Strong possibly being a good coordinator gives it away. Unless he was trying to showcase exactly how racist he is, he clearly had no clue who Charlie Strong was or what he had accomplished. I think it's more likely that he doesn't follow college football outside of Texas than it is that he actually goes around trying to tell anybody that will listen how racist he is.

Goat Holder
01-08-2014, 11:45 AM
The man's point was that they could have done better. And he was right.

All his ranting about the coordinator and them not being consulted was rich good ole boy arrogance with a hint of racism.

There it is, in the simplest of terms for you. Of course, I have a sneaky suspicion you are not stupid and realized this already, but you are trying to be a nit-picking prick. Mission accomplished.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Hell, maybe ole Red saw how bad Mr. Strong struggled in his opening press conference....overwhelmed to say the least.

smootness
01-08-2014, 11:57 AM
There it is, in the simplest of terms for you. Of course, I have a sneaky suspicion you are not stupid and realized this already, but you are trying to be a nit-picking prick. Mission accomplished.

The heck? My point is that when you talk about someone's delivery alone, it means they were a little bit too casual, used some slang, maybe cursed, etc. It wasn't his delivery that was the problem. He thinks Strong could possibly be a good coordinator and is better suited to be a position coach. That isn't his delivery, that is his opinion, and it is dumb. Obviously implied in that is that they could have done better, but there was a lot more wrong with what he said than simply his delivery.

Goat Holder
01-08-2014, 12:08 PM
He thinks Strong could possibly be a good coordinator and is better suited to be a position coach.

He means at Texas. Not in general. If you read the original transcripts and not the liberal media's cut-up version, it's pretty obvious.

FlabLoser
01-08-2014, 12:10 PM
He means at Texas. Not in general. If you read the original transcripts and not the liberal media's cut-up version, it's pretty obvious.

Don't care where he meant it. McCombs is and idiot.

Bothrops
01-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Hypothetically speaking, can you imagine how it would have gone over had he been hired at OM? You know..black head coach with a white wife and all. I'm sure the whole grove scene would welcome that with open arms.**

Coach34
01-08-2014, 12:31 PM
But it's true that they could have gotten a better hire for Texas than Charlie Strong.

No, no it's not- or they would have. He was about their 8th ****ing choice. Coaches dont view that job as attractive as many media or fans do

slickdawg
01-08-2014, 12:38 PM
No, no it's not- or they would have. He was about their 8th ****ing choice. Coaches dont view that job as attractive as many media or fans do

Because coaches know jackasses like McCombs runs the show. I'm serious. Would you take a HC job knowing that you could be overridden at any time by some eccentric alumni control freak?

Goat Holder
01-08-2014, 12:42 PM
Disagree. I think they could have gotten Malzahn, Petrino, and a host of others. Strong would have been 28th on my list. He doesn't fit in there, and that's another big issue that McCombs was alluding to, maybe not intentionally.

Goat Holder
01-08-2014, 12:43 PM
There's nothing wrong with having big boosters. All teams have them, and yes they ultimately control everything because they fund everything. And that's how it works. That's why Texas is Texas, and Ole Miss is Ole Miss. Texas has a bunch of Red McCombs.

Barking 13
01-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Orange is the only color that matters****

Bothrops
01-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Disagree. I think they could have gotten Malzahn, Petrino, and a host of others. Strong would have been 28th on my list. He doesn't fit in there, and that's another big issue that McCombs was alluding to, maybe not intentionally.

I think this is accurate, except for Malzahn..bad timing there. Petrino would kill it at Texas (football), but they would have to let him run things the way he wanted. Strong doesn't fit the scene, plain and simple. Maybe there's a little political correctness at work here. But you also have to consider that Strong is, at least, a pretty good coach. Safe hire? Who knows..

I don't understand the Texas fan base.

Coach34
01-08-2014, 01:18 PM
I just dont see Petrino being hired anywhere that has a BCS affiliation for another couple years- if ever

Coach34
01-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Disagree. I think they could have gotten Malzahn, Petrino, and a host of others.

I can most assuredly guarantee you Malzahn's agent was contacted. As was Fisher's. The big agents have numerous coaches as clients- You can bet the Texas AD looked at least 20 applicants and gauged interest from those agents. Not only that, if Malzahn was interested, you can bet his agent contacted the Texas AD.

Bottom line is that they had to take about their 8th choice. It's just not as attractive of a job to some as people think. Malzahn has coached in two championship games at Auburn in 4 years while coaching in the premier conference in the country. No reason to go to Texas

SheltonChoked
01-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Petrino would be an aweful hire at Texas.

As far as W andL go, He'd do great. But he was out of control with power at Ark. At Texas the power and the pressure is way Higher. His motocycle crash would look like my 3 years olds tricycle accident. He be a Cohen brothers movie, drunk with power crash at Texas. No way the tsips take a chance on that.

If it was me I'd have gotten Malzahn. But I see why they got Strong.

Goat Holder
01-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Don't care where he meant it. McCombs is and idiot.

Yeah sure pal. He amassed a fortune like that being an idiot. Good Lord.

Arrogant? Yes. Idiot? Hell f*cking no. Ya'll are off on this.

smootness
01-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Yeah sure pal. He amassed a fortune like that being an idiot. Good Lord.

Arrogant? Yes. Idiot? Hell f*cking no. Ya'll are off on this.

There are different ways to be an idiot. He definitely made himself out to be one by saying what he said.

notsofarawaydawg
01-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Charlie Strong rides into town (link) (http://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/charlie-strong-blazing-saddles-gif/215760)

At my age, I remember this scene so vividly as I watched this movie sitting in Lee Hall on a Wednesday night.

PendingTransaction
01-08-2014, 09:17 PM
McCombs is right. He should have gotten the JSU job.

The wife might be an issue there too. I guess it about more than just good football coaching.

Percho
01-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Hypothetically speaking, can you imagine how it would have gone over had he been hired at OM? You know..black head coach with a white wife and all. I'm sure the whole grove scene would welcome that with open arms.**

Wasn't he at OM at one time?

Drugdog
01-08-2014, 11:04 PM

That's one of the funniest things I have read! The Sheriff is near.