PDA

View Full Version : Comments you need to see (recruiting)

Big4Dawg
01-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Sean Rawlings dad (OL commit, huge OM family) post on Bulldog247.

He was asked the following question:

"While we have you here, I was curious if you could tell us what Coach Mullen is like during the recruiting process, and what our sales pitch seems to center around?"

His response:

I was very pleasantly surprised by his demeanor and personality. I had heard all the rumors about him from the competition. He is none of those. Very personable, engaging and actually makes eye contact and listens when you talk. We had a 3 hour supper @ our house with him and thouroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I haven't met a better recruiter. He can lasso anyone he targets. And he struck me as young. Thats only remarkable to me b/c I'm apparently getting old and don't realize it.

My 1st impression during the "sales pitch" was the Seal football complex. Incredibly impressive and second to none. Every fan needs to see it. And the program sells itself: full stadium, wall to wall tailgating, friendly down to earth fans and a team that obviously enjoys what its doing. The players' demeanor was important to me, as in, do they like it here. They love it and play like it. I don't think the fans realize yet just how good the dogs will be for the foreseeable future. They need to start printing those final 4 pennants now. This team can do it.

As for Coach Hevesy, he's been pitch perfect. I've read a lot of stuff about him (most of it wrong) including his discovery of Chris Jones, which is not surprising. He has an eye for talent and pays absolutely no attention to "stars". He knows what he's looking for and doesn't needs someone else to tell him. We like him a lot. Sean learned an incredible amount from him in two camps this summer and used it well this fall. The man can coach.

p.s. I can't say enough about Coach Knox. He's recruited Sean from day one and is the kind of guy that you'd want your son to grow up to be. Thats the highest compliment I can give.

EAVdog
01-08-2014, 12:01 AM
That's good to know, and great to hear from a parents angle.

Freeze and Co. are making a run at Rawlings now. But they've made a run at pretty much half our class with no luck. I've heard that Sean is pretty set but of course the OM media is saying it's a done deal if Freeze want's to offer him. Their class is coming up empty for the finish. They are desperately trying to get Trey Quinn to flip from LSU and fight off Les Miles to keep Speaks and now Taylor as well. And while they all assume Epps is gonna come back if he get's that Auburn offer 'he gone'. They have 4 spots to fill not including Epps. They are gonna have to cast that net real wide here pretty soon.

godlluB
01-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Are there any more Nkimdiche's left anywhere?

desotodawg
01-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Whenever I read these posts on recruiting and stars or lack of stars I always think of the 1980 Olympic Hockey team discussion from the movie Miracle:
Herb Brooks: Take a look at this.
Craig Patrick: What's this?
Herb Brooks: Twenty-six names.
[pause]
Herb Brooks: The tough part will be getting it down to twenty before the opening ceremonies.
Craig Patrick: This is the final roster? You're kidding me, right? This is our first day, Herb. We've got a week of this. What about the advisory staff? Aren't they supposed to have a say in this?
Herb Brooks: Not technically.
Craig Patrick: You're missing some of the best players.
Herb Brooks: I'm not looking for the best players, Craig. I'm looking for the right ones.

^^^^^ THIS IS WHAT IT IS ABOUT! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The right players will beat the stars more times than not. Those that believe and buy into their roles and the system are the best we can get.

DD

Coach34
01-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Well this has to be bullshit because Recruiting Guru Sevendust say that Mullen and Hevesy are terrible recruiters

AROB44
01-08-2014, 09:49 AM
This cann't be true. I thought Hevesy needed to be fired. At least that is the impression I get when I read posts about him.

thedawg
01-08-2014, 10:14 AM
I am a parent and a die hard over the top rebel hating bulldog fan... If my kids ended up being Division 1 football players and Ole Miss recruited them hard while State ignored them and then at the very end State came in right before signing day with the sole purpose of flipping them so they could claim victory over Ole Miss for a signing day splash it would be hard for me to council my son he needed to go to State.... Ole Miss obviously doesnt want Rawlings. They could have had him years ago and have pretty much ignored him throughout. They dont think hes good enough obviously. They want to use him to make us look bad. I hope he doesnt take the bait.

Goat Holder
01-08-2014, 10:15 AM
FIRE EVERYBODY !!!!

Johnson85
01-08-2014, 10:45 AM
Well this has to be bullshit because Recruiting Guru Sevendust say that Mullen and Hevesy are terrible recruiters

Making a lot of assumptions based on how intelligent Mr. Rawlings comment sounds, but I have never been concerned about Mullen's ability to relate to recruits' parents like that. I doubt he or his son would be swayed by a dog and pony show or would base a major life decision on their superficial impression of a coach.

I've always thought his lack of recruiting ability was overblown (even hamstrung by MSU's lack of 'sophistication' at recruiting, he did pretty decent outside of a couple of positions), but I do think his personality puts him at a slight disadvantage. When it's a close close, maybe a better initial impression from other coaches helps. I think the few recruits that are completely suckered by the recruiting process and dog and pony shows are more likely to flame out anyway, so I don't think those even matter.

DownwardDawg
01-08-2014, 10:49 AM
This cann't be true. I thought Hevesy needed to be fired. At least that is the impression I get when I read posts about him.

I have heard so much about that but the group that has showed the most improvement to me since Mullen arrived is the O-line. I just don't get all the hate for Hevesy. I'll add that while spending a couple of days around the staff a few years ago, Hevesy was probably the most personable behind Hud. I had never heard of him and I'll probably never forget him after that. Great guy.

Thick
01-08-2014, 11:07 AM
I spoke to Mr. Rawlings last night at MRA. I told him that Sean looks pissed off and irritated on the court. He said that he was very agitated, but much more sore then anything. I said why, and said Sean started the "Balis" program on Monday!!! Sean Rawlings is a diamond in the rough, and he has that mean streak in him like David Stewart.

slickdawg
01-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Hevesy can't recruit or coach. **

notsofarawaydawg
01-08-2014, 11:46 AM

+20

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Has anyone ever verified if this guy really exists? I've seen mentions of this name before with Memphis and FedEx, but not much else.

AlSwearengen
01-08-2014, 11:56 AM

Is sevendust still a big poster over at Paul Jones's site? I haven't been a member over there in quite some time, but back then, he and Hack were a big part of the board.

I have seen posts here that make me think sevendust has fallen from favor, maybe?

maroonmania
01-08-2014, 11:57 AM

Seems like with Hevesy there isn't much middle ground. You either like him or REALLY don't like him. Seems like for every parent, recruit or HS coach that like him there is another who can't stand him. I personally know one HS coach that believes he is a total jerk and we certainly have lost recruits that either don't want to play for him or that he's just personally pissed off (i.e Mix for example). Hevesy just isn't a guy that everyone is going to like, but glad to hear the Rawlings like him because as long as Mullen is here its likely Hevesy will be here. And I do think he is pretty darn good OL coach. Problems we've had on the OL during Mullen's tenure have had much more to do with lack of talent than lack of coaching.

preachermatt83
01-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Whenever I read these posts on recruiting and stars or lack of stars I always think of the 1980 Olympic Hockey team discussion from the movie Miracle:
Herb Brooks: Take a look at this.
Craig Patrick: What's this?
Herb Brooks: Twenty-six names.
[pause]
Herb Brooks: The tough part will be getting it down to twenty before the opening ceremonies.
Craig Patrick: This is the final roster? You're kidding me, right? This is our first day, Herb. We've got a week of this. What about the advisory staff? Aren't they supposed to have a say in this?
Herb Brooks: Not technically.
Craig Patrick: You're missing some of the best players.
Herb Brooks: I'm not looking for the best players, Craig. I'm looking for the right ones.

^^^^^ THIS IS WHAT IT IS ABOUT! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The right players will beat the stars more times than not. Those that believe and buy into their roles and the system are the best we can get.

DD

Great Comparison ! That's right on the money!

Coach34
01-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Seems like with Hevesy there isn't much middle ground. You either like him or REALLY don't like him. .

I can relate to that wholeheartedly

As far as the OL- the only problems we've had on the OL was 2011. Lack of forethought in bringing in jucos to offset Crooms lack of recruiting was a definite mistake that was compounded by early injuries. But other than that, our OL has been pretty solid. Our lack of talent at WR has been a much bigger problem than anything to do with the OL.

Coach34
01-08-2014, 12:47 PM
Has anyone ever verified if this guy really exists? I've seen mentions of this name before with Memphis and FedEx, but not much else.

I think he is the biggest messge board catfish in the history of message boards. Any info he has always begins with "Paul said"

Barking 13
01-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Seems like with Hevesy there isn't much middle ground. You either like him or REALLY don't like him. Seems like for every parent, recruit or HS coach that like him there is another who can't stand him. I personally know one HS coach that believes he is a total jerk and we certainly have lost recruits that either don't want to play for him or that he's just personally pissed off (i.e Mix for example). Hevesy just isn't a guy that everyone is going to like, but glad to hear the Rawlings like him because as long as Mullen is here its likely Hevesy will be here. And I do think he is pretty darn good OL coach. Problems we've had on the OL during Mullen's tenure have had much more to do with lack of talent than lack of coaching.

^^^ this I personally know a kid (and parent) that went to camp with Rawlings. You can ask Sean himself who his closest competition was at camp. This kid (and parent) were snubbed / turned off by Hevesy. He even has a cousin on the team now, but gave MSU the big middle finger after that... and I'm talking Barrett Jones type player

bully99
01-08-2014, 01:17 PM
So the coaches put the recruiting charm on some players and not others. I don't know a lot about football recruiting, but I know we're in the 30's and 40's in all of the recruiting rankings, behind some damn awful programs, so somebody ain't doing enough on the charm offensive. Something on this recruiting business ain't adding up.

ScottH
01-10-2014, 10:16 AM
Recruiting Guru Sevendust

Well done.