PDA

View Full Version : Is Matthew Stevens trying to troll our fanbase?

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Matthew Stevens ‏@matthewcstevens 3m
In his Way Too Early Top 25 for the 2014 season @Mark_Schlabach has a Mississippi school at No. 20 and it's not MSU - http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10246704/florida-state-leads-2014-way-too-early-top-25-rankings

I don't understand how this type of stuff helps the Columbus Dispatch.

I guess Stevens is right though, since Mark Schlabach didn't include MSU in his top 25, then MSU has no chance next season.* I guess Steven wins this discussion. Since we know that Schlabach spend a ton of time doing research, watching all the games, looking at depth charts, etc.. then Schlabach must be right and know what he is talking about.

Funny how the team that beat OM with a 3rd string QB playing most of the game, returns more players than OM, has an easier schedule than OM, and has the most talented QB in its' history, isn't ranked above OM.

I guess Stevens was right though and the rest of us are just idiots. We must be missing the boat fellas because Stevens has it all figured out.

Okrastar1
01-07-2014, 09:22 PM
We are talking about the same guy that blocked me on his twitter months ago because I called his dumbass out on his shit!!! **** that Tard!

preachermatt83
01-07-2014, 09:51 PM
he blocked me too because I called him out. It will never end until our program blackball's him. I wish mullen would do him like spurrier did this cat....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vslVprDE-c

FlabLoser
01-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Does a bear (no pun) dookie in the woods?

bully99
01-07-2014, 10:04 PM
Me three. He blocked me on twitter. You see a patern here. As I've said before I didn't realize how vicious this guy was until I heard his radio show. He is about 100% negative towards State. He's a coward.

Political Hack
01-07-2014, 10:20 PM
y'all remember that time this guy wrote that really great article about State?

me either. he's not worth reading.

SDDawg
01-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Yes, he thinks that's being unbiased. I think he's bordering on foolish with the anti-Dak rhetoric and his continuing to buy in to the OM recruiting hype. Ridiculous.

maroonmania
01-07-2014, 10:37 PM
Somehow I feel this guy somehow truly thinks that by covering a team and finding a raincloud in every blue sky people think about the team its going to net him a Pulitzer as a no nonsense hardline sports reporter or something.

Todd4State
01-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Kind of off topic, kind of not. But the Cardinals beat writers in St. Louis are very good about being objective about the team while also not being too down on the team either. There's an art to being objective because you have to be careful that you don't end up falling into the category of biased on the negative side.

A MSU writer tweeting out an article about Ole Miss that doesn't mention MSU is a little bit odd to me. That would be like the Cardinals beat writer tweeting out an article about the Cubs.

engie
01-07-2014, 10:50 PM
First order of business for the new SID should be to blackball Stevens' ass. Make him the example -- and everyone else will get their shit together real quick and in a hurry.

Okrastar1
01-07-2014, 10:57 PM
I just wish he would be down with getting the HELL out of Mississippi, seriously that bastard should try playing in oncoming traffic!

notsofarawaydawg
01-07-2014, 11:08 PM
Maybe some helpful information:

http://www.cdispatch.com/about/

Commercial Dispatch

Adam Minichino
Sports Editor
aminichino@cdispatch.com

Slim Smith
Managing Editor who has hated on MSU several times the past year
ssmith@cdispatch.com

Matt Stevens
mstevens@cdispatch.com

Peter Imes
General Manager
pimes@cdispatch.com

Birney Imes
Editor & Publisher
birney@cdispatch.com

bully99
01-07-2014, 11:17 PM
When you listen to Stevens, you just hear that disdain for all things msu.

Even though he blocked me, you ever notice the background picture on his twitter account, he has a picture of an empty Mississippi State football stadium. Who in the hell uses a photo of an empty stadium unless you're trying to make a point.

Should have linked to C-Spire because they're propping up his radio show.

hells bells
01-07-2014, 11:37 PM
When you listen to Stevens, you just hear that disdain for all things msu.

Even though he blocked me, you ever notice the background picture on his twitter account, he has a picture of an empty Mississippi State football stadium. Who in the hell uses a photo of an empty stadium unless you're trying to make a point.

Should have linked to C-Spire because they're propping up his radio show.

Door Matt is like a cartoon character on Loony Toons. Reads the new Acme Bomb product and launches to ED or SPS. Then we react. Never argue with a jackass. Three minutes into the argument you cannot determine who the jackass is.

bluelightstar
01-08-2014, 12:07 AM
Unfollowed him on Twitter. You're not missing anything when you do.

EAVdog
01-08-2014, 12:25 AM
What else is Stevens going to do to get some clicks and generate some views, actually write a decent article?

He really is a one trick pony and not worth getting riled up over.

Belegal
01-08-2014, 12:29 AM
On dec 30 I got on Stevens and Bubb Rubb- nemsdawg - polladawg-dawg pound rock all told me to quite bitching - does no good they said - I'm all alone! Seems to me the movement is starting to grow! Change your minds yet with Stevens new comments??? Wake up before your kids awake mumbling Hooty Toody! Go Dawgs! Change our mindset!

Coach34
01-08-2014, 01:37 AM
I'd rather read Mein Kampf in German print (and I cant speak German) than anything Stevens writes or says

Todd4State
01-08-2014, 01:47 AM
What else is Stevens going to do to get some clicks and generate some views, actually write a decent article?

He really is a one trick pony and not worth getting riled up over.

Honestly, part of it is MSU's fault. They could very easily put a stop to it if they wanted to. The school has control over whom they grant media access to. It's a privelage- not a right.

I mean, Ole Miss has refused to give the media in Memphis requested information about the NCAA investigating them- and we can't tell a beat writer at a small newspaper that his credentials are being revoked?

smootness
01-08-2014, 01:47 AM
Kind of off topic, kind of not. But the Cardinals beat writers in St. Louis are very good about being objective about the team while also not being too down on the team either. There's an art to being objective because you have to be careful that you don't end up falling into the category of biased on the negative side.

A MSU writer tweeting out an article about Ole Miss that doesn't mention MSU is a little bit odd to me. That would be like the Cardinals beat writer tweeting out an article about the Cubs.

This. But not just this. It would be like the Mets beat writer linking to a power ranking and saying, 'There's one New York team in the top 10...and it ain't the Mets!' Huh? Why the heck would you tweet that? Just to piss everybody off who follows you?

He might as well have said, 'Hey State fans, check out this ranking....and suck it! Hotty Toddy!'

Todd4State
01-08-2014, 02:05 AM
This. But not just this. It would be like the Mets beat writer linking to a power ranking and saying, 'There's one New York team in the top 10...and it ain't the Mets!' Huh? Why the heck would you tweet that? Just to piss everybody off who follows you?

He might as well have said, 'Hey State fans, check out this ranking....and suck it! Hotty Toddy!'

I guess his point is the National Media doesn't respect us. And I understand that respect has to be earned and that most of those people in the media are pretty much looking at the won/loss column and that's about it- which is part of why I advocate a manageable schedule. But there is also zero reason for MSU fans to not have confidence in our team based on the final month of the season and the Liberty Bowl. I as an amateur blog writer would be able to write a much more informed article on MSU than most any writer at ESPN- not because I'm an awesome writer- but because I know more about MSU the program and our players and the players we have coming in than they do.

But to me, that makes him look bad because he agrees with the National Media it seems like, but he really should have a more informed and educated opinion on MSU football. Because to me, and pretty much everyone else that I respect that knows football like Coach34, it's pretty obvious that we should be pretty good next year barring an unusual circumstance like an abnormal amount of injuries to the team. Even if you didn't know a lot about football, common sense says that a team that returns as much as we do that finished the season as well as we did with an easier schedule is going to do better. That's not being a homer- that's logic.

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2014, 02:23 AM
I guess his point is the National Media doesn't respect us. And I understand that respect has to be earned and that most of those people in the media are pretty much looking at the won/loss column and that's about it- which is part of why I advocate a manageable schedule. But there is also zero reason for MSU fans to not have confidence in our team based on the final month of the season and the Liberty Bowl. I as an amateur blog writer would be able to write a much more informed article on MSU than most any writer at ESPN- not because I'm an awesome writer- but because I know more about MSU the program and our players and the players we have coming in than they do.

But to me, that makes him look bad because he agrees with the National Media it seems like, but he really should have a more informed and educated opinion on MSU football. Because to me, and pretty much everyone else that I respect that knows football like Coach34, it's pretty obvious that we should be pretty good next year barring an unusual circumstance like an abnormal amount of injuries to the team. Even if you didn't know a lot about football, common sense says that a team that returns as much as we do that finished the season as well as we did with an easier schedule is going to do better. That's not being a homer- that's logic.

Yes, yes, yes.

This is the whole point

Coach 57
01-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Do you guys now see why we get ticked when you (as a poster) try to "keep it real"? We have our OWN beat writers being neg on our school.

FlabLoser
01-08-2014, 07:10 AM
Do you guys now see why we get ticked when you (as a poster) try to "keep it real"? We have our OWN beat writers being neg on our school.

Great point.

#Dak4Heisman

Barking 13
01-08-2014, 08:15 AM
Maybe some helpful information:

http://www.cdispatch.com/about/

Commercial Dispatch

Adam Minichino
Sports Editor
aminichino@cdispatch.com

Slim Smith
Managing Editor who has hated on MSU several times the past year
ssmith@cdispatch.com

Matt Stevens
mstevens@cdispatch.com

Peter Imes
General Manager
pimes@cdispatch.com

Birney Imes
Editor & Publisher
birney@cdispatch.com

All liberal left wing BO supporters.. that's why I don't read that paper anymore... the packet is waaay better and all it is, is a crime blotter...

The Croom Diaries
01-08-2014, 09:07 AM
I'm glad to see y'all are taking up the Stevens hate. I was getting tired of going at it alone for so long.

BulldogBear
01-08-2014, 09:50 AM
First order of business for the new SID should be to blackball Stevens' ass. Make him the example -- and everyone else will get their shit together real quick and in a hurry.

Good grief I'm so ready to see THIS^

maroonmania
01-08-2014, 09:54 AM

The dude is just an all around jerk with ANY interaction with MSU fans. Its like the deal where he loves to tweet out when Rodney Hood is having a really good game at Duke. He ONLY does that to get a rise out of MSU fans because that is how he gets his jollies. At this point Rodney Hood has no more connection to MSU than any other random basketball player playing in a different league but he loves to pour salt in the wound of MSU fans anywhere he can.

Goat Holder
01-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Cue Ronny with the "nothing wrong with the article" nonsense.

Funny thing about the 'objective' and 'we just want the news' bafoons is that we all already know the news. It's not about the news. It's about putting MSU is the best possible position for success.

Political Hack
01-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Unless State thinks that bad news is better than no news I don't see why they allow that guy in the building anymore.

smootness
01-08-2014, 11:05 AM
I am among the group that is totally fine with a reporter who does his job and reports, whether it's good or bad. A beat writer's job is not to be a mouthpiece for the school. We don't need every school becoming another Penn State.

However, from what I've seen of Stevens, it seems that this is all he does. And stuff like this is not reporting. Pointing out that State didn't get ranked in a poll for next year and Ole Miss did is not reporting, it's being a dick for no other reason than to piss off State fans. Same with saying Dak isn't a Heisman candidate next year. Some national media think he is; a beat writer's job is to report that some people believe he is, and if some people state publicly that he isn't, he can report that, too. But a beat writer's job is not to give opinions like that. He can do it, but State can shun him, too.

Imagine if the UGA beat writer came out and said, 'I don't think UGA is going to have a good QB next year'. That is not reporting, that is commentating. A beat writer's job is to say, here are the candidates for the job next year; here is what they've done, here is their experience, etc. and let the reader make their own decision.

messageboardsuperhero
01-08-2014, 11:06 AM

Exactly. I have zero problem with objective journalism, but Stevens just does everything he can to make Mississippi State look bad.

I mean, when State came in at #2 in Collegiate Baseball's preseason rankings, did Hugh Kellenberger send out a tweet saying "Collegiate Baseball predicts one MS school to be a national power this year... and it ain't UM?"

Stevens is just ****ing stupid.

MabenMaroon
01-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Follow Twitter and one can see that Stevens is just a Talty/Cronin tag-a-long. He must feel he has to "out negative MSU" in comparison to Talty. Must have his goals set on getting into Cronin's pants and writing MSU negatives will gain him brownie points.

NBdawg17
01-08-2014, 01:39 PM
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-5-teams-rise-2014

Tell that clown to check this out. One Mississippi team is listed in top 5 and one is not. Hope this link works

Coach34
01-08-2014, 01:52 PM
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-5-teams-rise-2014

Tell that clown to check this out. One Mississippi team is listed in top 5 and one is not. Hope this link works

Now see- the guys at Athlon did their homework. They put State ahead of the BearSharks for 2014 because of what we have vs them, AND the schedule. They schedule makes a huge difference. Great link NBdawg- thanks

slickdawg
01-08-2014, 01:58 PM
I see that @MattyDispatch2 has come to life, this ought to be good.

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2014, 02:33 PM

Looks like Athlon wins as the first media entity to push MSU. I knew if would Athlon or Phil Steele. People who actually do research, unlike Stevens or Mark Schlabach

maroonmania
01-08-2014, 02:44 PM

Crickets chirping waiting on Stevens to retweet this link.

blacklistedbully
01-08-2014, 04:41 PM

I disagree. If you can't distinguish between a media jackass with an agenda from a fellow Bulldog fan voicing his honest opinion in a respectful way, that's your problem.

It's complete BS that some of you apparently think we should do nothing but pump sunshine in order to counter-balance some knucklehead. I'm beyond fed up with the "thought police" on here who think you have a right to silence those who don't join you in lock-step.

While I agree that it's common sense not to go overboard on some things, like criticizing recruits, thus giving ammo to the Black Bears, it's just wrong to suggest that those of us who have concerns about Mullen need to shut up and just let you guys decide what gets said and what doesn't.

I have made reasoned posts on this board about my frustrations & concerns with Mullen, as have many others. We have valid points that are worth discussion. We are most definitely not "bad fans" or any less supportive of MSU than you are. In fact, our POV comes from a desire for MSU to become the best it can be. Do not confuse criticism of Mullen with a lack of loyalty to MSU. It would be just as easy (and wrong) for us to accuse you of being a "bad fan" and/or disloyal to MSU for putting your feelings for Mullen ahead of what's best for MSU.

Again, I have posted plenty about the things that Mullen does that inspire me and make me want to sign him to a long-term contract. But I have some major concerns that I feel we haven't yet seen answered, and certainly were not answered by OT wins over Arky & OM, followed by a solid win over a decent, but physically well over-matched Rice.

I'll pull for Mullen to get it together, and pray for his success. But don't yet count me among those who have been completely sold as a result of the last 3 games. To coin a phrase from the old Wendy's commercial, "Where's the beef?" I STILL want a head coach who understands when it's a bad idea to run a small scat-back up the middle time after time as his main RB, while he mostly sits a guy who averages 2 ypc more overall, and most assuredly a helluva lot more than that between the tackles. I STILL want a HC that understands clock management better than Les Miles. I STILL want a HC that, if he decides he wants to be the ST coach, then the ST better be a huge positive for us.

That's a legit opinion from a faithful Bulldog fan of 35 years. One who's more often than not been accused of being far too positive about our school.

Belegal
01-08-2014, 11:36 PM
Where are you tsun supporters telling us to shut up and take it??? Lets clean house!! Factual reporting is great but agendas are not- we can tell the difference!