Esmerelda Villalobos
01-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Would we have been in the MCB?

smootness
01-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Yes

DownwardDawg
01-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Would have been MCB or better. We were a better team than ole miss at the end of the year and we travel much better as a fan base.

Dawg61
01-07-2014, 04:07 PM
If we beat Auburn then Bama wins the West and beats Mizzou and is a much more motivated team and probably beats FSU.

01-07-2014, 04:08 PM
If we beat Auburn then Bama wins the West and beats Mizzou and is a much more motivated team and probably beats FSU.

Does only one SEC team make the BCS?

Goat Holder
01-07-2014, 04:18 PM
You are correct that Alabama would have won the West, but I'm not so sure that Auburn doesn't still beat Alabama though. Auburn didn't really get rolling until they beat Texas A&M, so our game didn't have much effect on that. That would set up the defacto play-in game as Bammer vs. Mizzou, and I think Mizzou wins that game and goes on to lose to FSU. Alabama was absolutely either not playing well or just not as good, especially near the end of the year. Something wasn't right.

Goat Holder
01-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Yes, most likely. I don't see where we would have necessarily won any more games as a result of that one, and we definitely would have bumped Ole Miss in the pecking order.

smootness
01-07-2014, 04:26 PM
You think Alabama would have lost to Auburn (with Auburn having no shot at the SEC or NC) and Missouri? With something to play for?

They lost to Oklahoma for the same reason they lost to Utah a few years ago...they didn't really care about being there.

Goat Holder
01-07-2014, 05:06 PM
You think Alabama would have lost to Auburn (with Auburn having no shot at the SEC or NC) and Missouri? With something to play for?

Yes. Auburn had no REAL delusions of playing in the title game.....until Sparty upended tOSU. They fell into it. They would have been VERY happy with beating Alabama and likely going to the Sugar or Cotton bowls. You forget that these fools went 3-9 last year....they had no expectations anyway. The national title didn't become a possibility until December 7.

Bubb Rubb
01-07-2014, 05:26 PM
You are correct that Alabama would have won the West, but I'm not so sure that Auburn doesn't still beat Alabama though. Auburn didn't really get rolling until they beat Texas A&M, so our game didn't have much effect on that. That would set up the defacto play-in game as Bammer vs. Mizzou, and I think Mizzou wins that game and goes on to lose to FSU. Alabama was absolutely either not playing well or just not as good, especially near the end of the year. Something wasn't right.

It can be argued that Auburn would've never gotten rolling if they hadn't beaten us. Winning creates confidence....and confidence is a valuable thing.

smootness
01-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Yes. Auburn had no REAL delusions of playing in the title game.....until Sparty upended tOSU. They fell into it. They would have been VERY happy with beating Alabama and likely going to the Sugar or Cotton bowls. You forget that these fools went 3-9 last year....they had no expectations anyway. The national title didn't become a possibility until December 7.

I'll concede that Auburn can say they still would have beaten Alabama, even though there's no way you can say the NC wasn't a possibility until 12/7. Everyone knew that while it may not be a great chance Auburn would go, they definitely had a shot and only needed one team to lose; a team that happened to be playing another really good team. Auburn knew that if they lost to Bama, they had no shot at the national title but that if they won, they had a shot. And that is excluding the SEC as well; take any level of motivation away from a team, and it would have an impact.

And that doesn't even touch on Missouri. No way Alabama loses to Oklahoma under a normal setting where winning that game means something more than just winning the Sugar Bowl. And no way do they lose to Missouri if winning means they play for the national title.