PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 things to fix for 2014

Bo Darville
01-07-2014, 11:15 AM
1. Place-kicking game. Field goals can't be an adventure. Gotta find some reliability. I'm more worried about consistently hitting 30-40 yarders than I am the ability to hit a 50 yarder.

2. Punt return game. Jameon the receiver is maybe the most improved player on the team. Jameon the punt returner is horrible. Bad decisions on when to catch and run, when to fair-catch, and when to let it roll, have killed us. About 60 or 70 yards of lost field position against Alabama alone. He caused us to punt from the end-zone on a short snap (less than 15 yards) against Ole Miss. He is risky in catching also. He scares me. He is terrible back there.

3. Siddoway and Gabe leaving. Somebody must step up. It is crucial. Eyes on you Clayborn, Beckwith, Carter, Senior, and JUCO.

4. Back up QB. With Tyler starting, Dak was incredible as the backup. He later became the starter and led our resurgance. Damian did a heckuva job as #3, but the shit gets real in 2014 as the #2. If Dak gets hurt, Damian has to be able to do more than just "not screw it up". His development over the next 8 months is critical.

5. Nick James/Quay Evans saga. Time for them to play like winners or hit the road. No more baby sitting. It appears that James is figuring it out and maturing. Evans needs to do it now, or we need to cut him loose.

FlabLoser
01-07-2014, 11:22 AM
1. Field goals

2. Field goals.

3. Nick James & Quay Evans need to have it together. Having those guys or not could be the difference between a good DL and a dominant DL with lots of depth. Could you imagine Quay and Jones playing together as DT's? Damn...yeah whichever one you don't double team is going to destroy you.

4. OL replacements. Gabe and Siddoway's replacements needs to be good and I think they will be. We also need the new depth guys to be good.

5. Backup QB. The backup QB in Mullen's system always gets PT. We need our backup - Staley, Fitzgerald, or Williams to step up and be serviceable.

Barking 13
01-07-2014, 11:23 AM
add to the special teams list:
a. kick out of the end zone... every time
b. onside kick - need this in the arsenal.. and not make it look like a joke
c. fake punt / field goal - also need this in the arsenal.. and not make it look like a joke

b & c will be needed at a couple times during the season and we don't need it to be a disaster every time we try it...

TheRef
01-07-2014, 11:24 AM
1. Place-kicking game. Field goals can't be an adventure. Gotta find some reliability. I'm more worried about consistently hitting 30-40 yarders than I am the ability to hit a 50 yarder.

2. Punt return game. Jameon the receiver is maybe the most improved player on the team. Jameon the punt returner is horrible. Bad decisions on when to catch and run, when to fair-catch, and when to let it roll, have killed us. About 60 or 70 yards of lost field position against Alabama alone. He caused us to punt from the end-zone on a short snap (less than 15 yards) against Ole Miss. He is risky in catching also. He scares me. He is terrible back there.

3. Siddoway and Gabe leaving. Somebody must step up. It is crucial. Eyes on you Clayborn, Beckwith, Carter, Senior, and JUCO.

4. Back up QB. With Tyler starting, Dak was incredible as the backup. He later became the starter and led our resurgance. Damian did a heckuva job as #3, but the shit gets real in 2014 as the #2. If Dak gets hurt, Damian has to be able to do more than just "not screw it up". His development over the next 8 months is critical.

5. Nick James/Quay Evans saga. Time for them to play like winners or hit the road. No more baby sitting. It appears that James is figuring it out and maturing. Evans needs to do it now, or we need to cut him loose.

#1: ST
#2: RB Rotation
#3: Filling holes in OL
#4: Development of DBs.

smootness
01-07-2014, 11:31 AM
These are all very good points. I think the least concerning, for me, is the punt return game just because in today's college football, few coaches allow returns anyway. So the only time you usually get a chance at the return is when the punter screws it up. Coaches now would rather ensure there is no return than punt it as far as they can. As long as our PR isn't muffing punts and is sure-handed, I'm fine with that position.

The one that is most concerning is PK, and I'm not sure where the answer is coming from. Logan Cooke is coming in, but I think he's more of a punter, as Devon Bell was coming out. Hopefully somebody gets their head right; I still think Bell has good potential there, but he can't do what he did this year.

The second that is most important to me is backup QB. We need guys to step up on the OL, but I feel good about what we return there. We won't replace Gabe Jackson, but I think the entire unit could be slightly better next year. But Damian Williams has to be ready...either him, or Fitzgerald with 8 months to prepare, or Staley if he's good enough. We just need somebody who can be a Relf-type and at least run the option game with efficiency in case Dak goes down.

starkvegasdawg
01-07-2014, 11:32 AM
My main concern is ST. I held my breaths on extra points. No reason a SEC team should ever have to do that. I also agree with BO that my main concern is a high accuracy 40 yards and in. Yes, it is nice to have a kicker that can boom them from 50 but truth be told you win or lose more games on the shorter range kicks.

My two cents on the D-line. I would love for both Quay and Nick to get their heads screwed on straight. If they could, we would have one of the most feared lines in the country. I just tear up when I think of a line that has Quay, Nick, and CJ all playing at the same time. No way you could come close to consistently blocking all of them at the same time. At least one would always be wreaking havoc in the backfield. The need to blitz would be all but gone leaving our LB's and DB's to concentrate solely on the run and pass.

I hope that Nick has turned the corner. Wish Quay could. Blows my mind that somebody with his talent is willing to piss it away. Three years he could be a millionaire. A person can put up with almost anything for that length of time when there is that payoff at the end. Hell, put me in Parchman for three years if you tell me when I come out my bank account will be fatter than a weight watcher's meeting.

dawgoneyall
01-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Roll out passing

FlabLoser
01-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Anybody who didn't post FG kicking...just stop posting in this thread. JK

But really...our FG kicking has been below Croom levels.

MSUDawg4Life
01-07-2014, 12:28 PM
1. Kicking game. No explanation needed.
2. Offensive line. I just want them to plug the holes and be fundamentally sound. Develop solid backups.
3. WRs. I would like to see at least two guys step up and be serious threats along with Jameon.
4. RB. Would like to see most of our rushing yards come from the RB position.
5. QB. Would like to see Dak complete a higher percentage of passes. Throw for more TDS. Fewer interceptions

Goat Holder
01-07-2014, 12:34 PM
That's pretty much it.

Political Hack
01-07-2014, 12:36 PM
5) 2nd string DTs

4) 2nd string OTs

3) outside WRs. They've got to be more aggressive and able to win more one on one battles to free up the running game. If teams are forced to drop a S on us, we're going to be damn near impossible to scheme against.

2) Punt return game

1) FG kicking

Bo Darville
01-07-2014, 12:42 PM
These are all very good points. I think the least concerning, for me, is the punt return game just because in today's college football, few coaches allow returns anyway. So the only time you usually get a chance at the return is when the punter screws it up. Coaches now would rather ensure there is no return than punt it as far as they can. As long as our PR isn't muffing punts and is sure-handed, I'm fine with that position.

That is exactly the problem. I agree with you that most coaches are going for the right combination of length and hangtime to allow for no return. That means we need a good, sure-handed decision maker as a returner, rather than someone who knows how to run with it. Very few get returned. Jameon kills us by letting one bounce and roll 20 yards rather than fair catch it. Then he fair catches a line drive on the 3 against Ole Miss instead of letting it go in the end zone where we could get it on the 20.

The actual return is the least of my concerns. I'm worried about the decisions and the ability to catch it cleanly. Hell, the Colts let Griff Whalen (white, undrafted receiver) return some punts. The Colts are not thinking about the return. They are thinking about fair catches and muffs.

I want MSU to quit worrying about the return of the punt, and start worrying about fair-catches, muffs, and when to let it roll. We lost 60 yards against BAMA alone by not fair catching properly. I'll bet we didn't have 60 yards of punt returns the entire year.

drunkernhelldawg
01-07-2014, 12:43 PM
I predict that the eventual national champion will be in the top 5 on big plays allowed by its defense. The big play is the engine in modern football, so minimizing it (none will completely stop it) will give a team elite status.

I'm real pumped for next season. Dak is fixing to turn some heads.

tcdog70
01-07-2014, 12:50 PM
1. install QB sneak
2. no cuteness in the red zone
3. special team-revamping
4.learn to throw a fade to Wilson

SignalToNoise
01-07-2014, 12:56 PM
5) 2nd string DTs

4) 2nd string OTs

3) outside WRs. They've got to be more aggressive and able to win more one on one battles to free up the running game. If teams are forced to drop a S on us, we're going to be damn near impossible to scheme against.

2) Punt return game

1) FG kicking

I was going to say something along these lines too. Need someone to develop as a consistent deep threat. We all like what we saw out of Bear Wilson and think he will be the guy to do this.

TimberBeast
01-07-2014, 02:03 PM
1. Kicking game. No explanation needed.
2. Offensive line. I just want them to plug the holes and be fundamentally sound. Develop solid backups.
3. WRs. I would like to see at least two guys step up and be serious threats along with Jameon.
4. RB. Would like to see most of our rushing yards come from the RB position.
5. QB. Would like to see Dak complete a higher percentage of passes. Throw for more TDS. Fewer interceptions

This has to happen or Dak won't make it through next season. He is a great runner but will not be able to take the punishment he will get running as much as he did this season. Please Dan let Robinson do his job.

smootness
01-07-2014, 02:30 PM
That is exactly the problem. I agree with you that most coaches are going for the right combination of length and hangtime to allow for no return. That means we need a good, sure-handed decision maker as a returner, rather than someone who knows how to run with it. Very few get returned. Jameon kills us by letting one bounce and roll 20 yards rather than fair catch it. Then he fair catches a line drive on the 3 against Ole Miss instead of letting it go in the end zone where we could get it on the 20.

The actual return is the least of my concerns. I'm worried about the decisions and the ability to catch it cleanly. Hell, the Colts let Griff Whalen (white, undrafted receiver) return some punts. The Colts are not thinking about the return. They are thinking about fair catches and muffs.

I want MSU to quit worrying about the return of the punt, and start worrying about fair-catches, muffs, and when to let it roll. We lost 60 yards against BAMA alone by not fair catching properly. I'll bet we didn't have 60 yards of punt returns the entire year.

Very good post, and I agree with you. It's why I liked having Bumphis back there.

So I guess it is somewhat of a concern for me, but it's still the least of the group you originally mentioned, for me.

deltadawg99
01-07-2014, 03:08 PM
1. Special Teams as a whole/Hire a special teams coach
2. OL Replacements/Depth
3. More use of the TE position
4. Finding ways to get playmakers like Holloway and Lewis in space
5. Player rotation. Meaning put the best guy on the field regardless of seniority

Schultzy
01-07-2014, 03:20 PM
1. install QB sneak
2. no cuteness in the red zone
3. special team-revamping
4.learn to throw a fade to Wilson

Winner

Bo Darville
01-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Very good post, and I agree with you. It's why I liked having Bumphis back there.

So I guess it is somewhat of a concern for me, but it's still the least of the group you originally mentioned, for me.

I think we are in agreement. I just think it is hugely important. We had 197 yards of offense against Alabama. We lost 60 yards of field position on 3 punt returns by letting it roll. Fans get so excited about a 20 yard offensive play, or so upset about their defense giving up a 20 yard play. But neglecting to fair catch a punt at the 25, then letting it roll to the 5, is the same thing. You've lost 20 yards of field position that a fair catch would have saved for you. Now you need a big 20 yard run/pass just to get it back That is huge yardage.

HereComesTheSpiral
01-07-2014, 03:33 PM
This has to happen or Dak won't make it through next season. He is a great runner but will not be able to take the punishment he will get running as much as he did this season. Please Dan let Robinson do his job.

I agree with this about the rushing yards. I am ok with Dak running, but I hope he plays baseball this spring and learns what sliding is. On the kicking situation, should we perhaps start recruiting Texas and California for place kickers due to soccer being much more popular than in MS?

NCDawg
01-07-2014, 03:34 PM

Agree.