PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the first national media member to jump on the 2014 MSU badwagon?

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Last night, Mark Schlabach released his "Way to Early Top 25 last" last night and, unfortunately, he released it way to early and without much research.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10246704/florida-state-leads-2014-way-too-early-top-25-rankings

He has Ole Miss 20th, which is a little high, but OM should be OK next season, has Notre Dame in the top 25 when they play a brutal schedule next season and aren't very good, doesn't have Mizzou in the top 25 which is idiotic, and, last but not least, has Florida in the top 25 for really no reason.

All this being said, I don't think Schlabach is an ass hole, or has something against MSU. I simply think this was a poll put together with little to no research or thought, and, ultimately, shows why pre-season polls are so dumb.

However, the polls usually get better the closer we get to next season after people like Phil Steele, Vegas insiders, and others, that actually do a ton of research, starting weighing in.

I have no doubt that MSU should be a preseason top 25 team next season and certainly ranked ahead of OM, and I think we will either be ranked or very close to being ranked by the time the season starts.

So the question is, who will be the first national media member to recognize MSU, and start pushing us?

justwin
01-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Matt Stevens @ Tim Brando

Last night, Mark Schlabach released his "Way to Early Top 25 last" last night and, unfortunately, he released it way to early and without much research.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10246704/florida-state-leads-2014-way-too-early-top-25-rankings

He has Ole Miss 20th, which is a little high, but OM should be OK next season, has Notre Dame in the top 25 when they play a brutal schedule next season and aren't very good, doesn't have Mizzou in the top 25 which is idiotic, and, last but not least, has Florida in the top 25 for really no reason.

All this being said, I don't think Schlabach is an ass hole, or has something against MSU. I simply think this was a poll put together with little to no research or thought, and, ultimately, shows why pre-season polls are so dumb.

However, the polls usually get better the closer we get to next season after people like Phil Steele, Vegas insiders, and others, that actually do a ton of research, starting weighing in.

I have no doubt that MSU should be a preseason top 25 team next season and certainly ranked ahead of OM, and I think we will either be ranked or very close to being ranked by the time the season starts.

So the question is, who will be the first national media member to recognize MSU, and start pushing us?

msugolf
01-07-2014, 09:37 AM
We're not even 24 hrs removed from the 2013 season and pundits are already overlooking MSU and praising Ole Miss. In Schlabach's "way to early top 25" he mentions auburn has a tougher schedule next year with road games at Kansas state and ole miss. He also has the black bears at #20.

Personally, I'm glad for the praise to the rebels because that means they'll fall harder. However we do need to find a way to improve our perception within the PR arena.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=10246704&src=desktop

Coach34
01-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Ole Miss has a chance to be pretty good next year.

But they have to replace 2 pretty good WR's and half of their OL on the 2 deep- tall tasks fo sho. They will be pretty salty on D also.

Drugdog
01-07-2014, 09:45 AM
I'm going out on a limb here but I think Barrett Saley.

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2014, 09:46 AM

But they have to replace 2 pretty good WR's and half of their OL on the 2 deep- tall tasks fo sho. They will be pretty salty on D also.

Agree, I don't blame Schlabach for giving credit to OM, as much as I blame him for not giving any credit to MSU. I think this will change as the summer nears. Schlabach didn't do a ton of research on this, and when the people who do a lot of research start weighing in, better polls will be released.

MSU will get their due, it just may take a while. Danny Sheridan it started on Finebaum the other day, and I suspect it will get louder as more educated analyst begin to speak.

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-07-2014, 09:55 AM

I don't think MSU should be ranked in the preseason polls. MSU and Ole Miss will have solid seasons next year. O-line will be the big question mark for both. If Tunsil goes down for Ole Miss, they go from a solid season, to maybe not bowl eligible.

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2014, 09:59 AM
I don't think MSU should be ranked in the preseason polls. MSU and Ole Miss will have solid seasons next year. O-line will be the big question mark for both. If Tunsil goes down for Ole Miss, they go from a solid season, to maybe not bowl eligible.

I disagree, OM and MSU will probably be two of the best 15 teams in the country next season, but constantly get under rated due to schedule and division competition. If Vegas put out a poll on the basis of who would be favored at neutral sites worked their way down, I think both MSU and OM would be top 20. Unfortunately, the media doesn't work that way.

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-07-2014, 10:08 AM
I am sure we will be ranked before we lose to LSU.

FISHDAWG
01-07-2014, 10:13 AM

yeah ... USM, UAB, & South Alabama should propel us into the top ten ........ well played Eric

smootness
01-07-2014, 10:13 AM

My, aren't you fun.

Political Hack
01-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Pat Forde

notsofarawaydawg
01-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Ole Miss gets ranked because they WILL WIN the recruiting title again.

RougeDawg
01-07-2014, 11:34 AM

You are correct, if every team they play refuses to watch tape of this years EB and Mizzou games and refuses to implement the defensive scheme to stop them. A team that throws 75-90% screens and quick hitches within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage and a QB with an arm that can't break an egg. I'm not sure how dumb you think the SEC coaching staffs are, but I'm fairly confident that all have already taken note on the "blueprint" for beating Freezus' Gimmicks. 7 win ceiling max for them, unless they miraculously switch over to the SEC east. 6 seems about right for 2014 on them.

hailmari
01-07-2014, 11:55 AM
I feel the same way. Their defense will be pretty good, probably on a similar level as our's, but I have trouble seeing that offense being very successful next year. They'll break off their share of big plays, too many athletes not to, but I think the solution to their game-plan has been exposed (thanks to Mizz, MSU, and Bama).

That is unless Kailo proves everybody wrong and becomes a Tre Mason and/or extra o-lineman fall out of the sky and into their lap...

SDDawg
01-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Ole Miss is overrated, no question. But they did beat LSU and Texas on the road so it gets noticed. I think they got worse as the season went on and nearly lost their bowl to a terrible Tech team, but the writers and pundits will overlook that. Bottom line, I'm GLAD they're ranked because they look sillier when the lose right out of the gate. They're NOT going to be a good team next year and I think they win 5 - 7 games. Freeze will be on the run by the time the Egg Bowl comes around and we will stomp them in Oxford, we'll be top 15 at that point and everyone will be asking why they do so poorly with so many "STARS". LOL GTHOM

FlabLoser
01-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Ole Miss did not beat LSU on the road.

smootness
01-07-2014, 12:15 PM
I think Ole Miss will be fairly good, decent at least. I don't see them missing a bowl. Their schedule is pretty interesting to start the year...home vs. Boise State and at Vandy. They could win both, though I think they'll go 1-1, at least if Franklin stays at Vandy. There's an outside chance they could lose both, but I doubt they lose to BSU. They'll beat ULL, Memphis, and Presbyterian. And they should beat Tennessee at home as well. Some of their toss-up games, though, come on the road - Texas A&M, Arkansas, and LSU. They should lose to Bama and Auburn at home, and the Egg Bowl is always a toss-up; lately, the home team has won but when that hasn't been the case, it's been us beating them in Oxford.

I could see them starting 2-0, beating A&M or Arkansas on the road, and winning the Egg Bowl and finishing 8-4 or possibly even 9-3. I could also see them struggling and finishing 7-5 or hitting an iceberg and going 6-6. But they should be pretty good.

Trying to look at their schedule as I would ours and be as unbiased as possible, I'll say:

BSU - W
@Vandy - T
ULL - W
Memphis - W
Bama - L
@A&M - T
Tennessee - W
@LSU - L
Auburn - L
Presbyterian - W
@Arkansas - W
State - T

So I guess I see 3 true toss-ups with them going 6-3 among the rest of their schedule.

Eric Nies Grind Time
01-07-2014, 12:21 PM
I think Ole Miss will be fairly good, decent at least. I don't see them missing a bowl. Their schedule is pretty interesting to start the year...home vs. Boise State and at Vandy. They could win both, though I think they'll go 1-1, at least if Franklin stays at Vandy. There's an outside chance they could lose both, but I doubt they lose to BSU. They'll beat ULL, Memphis, and Presbyterian. And they should beat Tennessee at home as well. Some of their toss-up games, though, come on the road - Texas A&M, Arkansas, and LSU. They should lose to Bama and Auburn at home, and the Egg Bowl is always a toss-up; lately, the home team has won but when that hasn't been the case, it's been us beating them in Oxford.

I could see them starting 2-0, beating A&M or Arkansas on the road, and winning the Egg Bowl and finishing 8-4 or possibly even 9-3. I could also see them struggling and finishing 7-5 or hitting an iceberg and going 6-6. But they should be pretty good.

Trying to look at their schedule as I would ours and be as unbiased as possible, I'll say:

BSU - W
@Vandy - T
ULL - W
Memphis - W
Bama - L
@A&M - T
Tennessee - W
@LSU - L
Auburn - L
Presbyterian - W
@Arkansas - W
State - T

So I guess I see 3 true toss-ups with them going 6-3 among the rest of their schedule.

I would be pretty surprised if they lost to Boise. I will be going to that game though as tickets will be dirt cheap. I think Tennessee could be pretty tough for them. They will have a lot of young talent. They could be pretty decent.

Vancleave
01-07-2014, 01:03 PM
If they only win 6 games next year the meltdown will be Epic.

Covercorner2
01-07-2014, 01:40 PM
UT and Arkansas are only gonna get better I think.... They could start out 4-0 then lose 5 in a row and have to beat either State or @Ark to get bowl eligible. Schedule is sort of similiar to ours this year.

bully99
01-07-2014, 03:31 PM
I've seen a few early polls and they have the bears in the top 20. Mainly because of their recruiting classes of last year, this year and a senior quarterback with two years of experience. Plus a favorable schedule. Dan Mullen has to beat some of the big boys before the media will take him seriously.

blacklistedbully
01-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Anybody say Jesse Palmer yet? How about the guy from Fox Sports who said something about, "kicking himself for not paying more attention to Prescott this past year"?

smootness
01-07-2014, 03:48 PM
I could see @Arkansas becoming a toss-up, but it's hard for me to believe Tennessee will progress enough to be better than Ole Miss in Oxford. I just don't see it.

DawgPoundRock
01-07-2014, 06:53 PM
I think ark will be better next year, not significantly but better. I could see ark pulling the upset against TSUN

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Arkansas is very limited until they get a better QB. They already run the ball well, but offer little fear in the passing game. Until they recruit a better QB, I just don't see them getting marginally better. You just can't be that good in the SEC with a one dimensional offense and Gus Malzahn not being your coach.