PDA

View Full Version : Ellis Johnson

Dawg61
01-07-2014, 02:44 AM
Goes from being fired after going 0-12 as the HC at USM to having Auburn playing lights out D for most of the NC game. What a crazy two years for him. Super nice guy btw. I think we've got a better one in Collins but I was happy for Ellis tonight even though he lost. His D played fantastic. For those that maybe don't remember Ellis was Croom's DC for a bit before going to USCe as their DC.

Fader21
01-07-2014, 03:01 AM
I think USM fired him way to early

DownwardDawg
01-07-2014, 07:16 AM
Goes from being fired after going 0-12 as the HC at USM to having Auburn playing lights out D for most of the NC game. What a crazy two years for him. Super nice guy btw. I think we've got a better one in Collins but I was happy for Ellis tonight even though he lost. His D played fantastic. For those that maybe don't remember Ellis was Croom's DC for a bit before going to USCe as their DC.

I certainly didn't predict Auburn in the NC game but all summer I argued people that said Auburn would suck this year and had them as a "W" on our schedule. Gus is a fantastic coach and Ellis Johnson is an excellent defensive coordinator. He has done a great job everywhere he's been as a defensive coordinator.

MSUDawg4Life
01-07-2014, 10:03 AM
The Peter Principle. Everyone rises to their level of incompetence. He's an outstanding DC. Head coach, not so much.

SignalToNoise
01-07-2014, 10:06 AM
His career record as a HC is 17-40. USM didn't make a mistake in firing him "too early", they made a mistake in hiring him period.

DownwardDawg
01-07-2014, 10:21 AM
His career record as a HC is 17-40. USM didn't make a mistake in firing him "too early", they made a mistake in hiring him period.

I agree. He was in way over his head as a HC.

tcdog70
01-07-2014, 12:57 PM
wonder why he quit Blitzing in the second half. He had Winston ****ed up as a Chinese Arithmetic

DownwardDawg
01-07-2014, 02:06 PM
wonder why he quit Blitzing in the second half. He had Winston ****ed up as a Chinese Arithmetic

Because FSU started eating Auburn up with short passes when they blitzed after the 1st possession of the 2nd half. That changed the game.

Bubb Rubb
01-07-2014, 02:14 PM

He quit blitzing because Florida State made an adjustment and it was working.

tcdog70
01-07-2014, 02:26 PM
yep, it really worked. they four man rushed themselves right into a loss. they won the first half by being aggressive. their DBs aren't good enough to let the QB sit back and pick them off.

Dawg61
01-07-2014, 02:37 PM
yep, it really worked. they four man rushed themselves right into a loss. they won the first half by being aggressive. their DBs aren't good enough to let the QB sit back and pick them off.

Auburn lost cause they dropped a for sure TD, missed a short FG, gave up a colossal ****ed up KR TD (with a player pulling a hamstring in the exact spot the returner was going) and gave up a fake punt that resulted in a TD drive. That's a 24 point difference. Auburn was beating the absolute SHIT out of FSU but they didn't finish them off. They Dansburyed their way into losing a NC. You can NOT let up till the clock says zeroes.

DownwardDawg
01-07-2014, 03:59 PM

FSU was driving at will once they started hitting the quick passes while Auburn was blitzing. When Auburn stopped blitzing, FSU had to adjust again. It would have gotten ugly had Auburn just kept blitzing after FSU made the adjustment.
It was a well coached game by both teams. FSU made better adjustments after the half. Auburn had the better game plan to start the game. The better team won.

Todd4State
01-07-2014, 04:13 PM
I just can't buy that Ellis Johnson was the sole reason why they went 0-12 and then they darn near did it again with Monken. I'm thinking a lot of their current situation falls on Fedora. I don't think Ellis is that great of a head coach, but I also think he gets way too much blame for what happened.

Fader21
01-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Yea he coached the powerhouses Gardner Webb and the citadel. Even there he had some successful wins. 0-12 at USM was not all his fault fedora knew he left them bare. Look at Monken he did 1 win better.