PDA

View Full Version : DING DONG THE BCS IS DEAD

Quaoarsking
01-07-2014, 12:21 AM
Good riddance. One year from now, after we have 3 awesome, meaningful games instead of just 1 everyone's going to wonder why we didn't start the playoff decades ago.

dawgoneyall
01-07-2014, 12:23 AM
And the slow death of Bowl games.

Uninformed/misinformed people asked for it and it will come. Enjoy...especially after one of the best bowl seasons ever.

thf24
01-07-2014, 12:32 AM
Nothing is really going to change. Everyone is just going to be arguing over which four teams should get a shot at the top spot instead of which two. By the time you get a playoff that's deep enough to include everyone who deserves a chance, the argument will have shifted to too many games being played.

starkvegasdawg
01-07-2014, 12:35 AM
I wanted the playoff system but I did not want the teams picked by a committee. Wish we could keep a BCS style ranking system and let it determine playoff teams and matchups. Right now the committee, I think, can manipulate things too much by possibly not picking a team that deserves to go or giving a team an easy matchup to get to the finals.

Todd4State
01-07-2014, 12:36 AM
Nothing is really going to change. Everyone is just going to be arguing over which four teams should get a shot at the top spot instead of which two. By the time you get a playoff that's deep enough to include everyone who deserves a chance, the argument will have shifted to too many games being played.

I agree with this. Now there's going to be a fifth team that maybe should have gotten in. These experts that think a playoff would solve everything are mistaken. Really in a way we're getting two more really high level bowl games- so it's not like a playoff is a horrible thing.

Going by the standings, I'm assuming that we would have had FSU/Michigan State and then Alabama/Auburn as the playoff games. An Iron Bowl rematch in the Sugar Bowl would be pretty awesome.

Goat Holder
01-07-2014, 12:49 AM
The BCS was not a bad system for determining a champion. I never understood the hate.

The whole bowl system could be successfully maintained if we'd get rid of rigid tie-ins and matchup bowls based on merit, regionally.

Bothrops
01-07-2014, 12:58 AM
Gonna be harder for SEC teams to reach this game now, let alone win it. The league will remain the best in the country, but the dominance could be over.

PMDawg
01-07-2014, 08:36 AM
I agree with this. Now there's going to be a fifth team that maybe should have gotten in. These experts that think a playoff would solve everything are mistaken. Really in a way we're getting two more really high level bowl games- so it's not like a playoff is a horrible thing.

Going by the standings, I'm assuming that we would have had FSU/Michigan State and then Alabama/Auburn as the playoff games. An Iron Bowl rematch in the Sugar Bowl would be pretty awesome.

A fifth team? There's about a dozen or so that could make a case this year.

TXDawg
01-07-2014, 08:42 AM
I wanted the playoff system but I did not want the teams picked by a committee. Wish we could keep a BCS style ranking system and let it determine playoff teams and matchups. Right now the committee, I think, can manipulate things too much by possibly not picking a team that deserves to go or giving a team an easy matchup to get to the finals.

THIS - Does anyone really think the committee will allow two teams from the same conference (much less the same division of the same conference) to both be in the Top 4? It will be MUCH harder for the SEC's dominance to continue under this system.

PMDawg
01-07-2014, 08:44 AM
I laugh when people complain about the BCS. It's usually the same people complaining about mythical championships from the previous era. The invention of the conference championship game and, especially, the BCS ushered in the golden age of college football. It was coincidentally timed perfectly with the television/technology boom and grew into the cash cow it is today. The BCS was meant to draw attention to CFB and generate discussions (arguments) about it all while definitively determining one champion. Mission accomplished.

I don't oppose the playoff. I like it too, although just 4 teams is silly. I just don't understand the hate for the BCS. It did it's job, and brought us to the next era. Time to move on and quit complaining.

BeastMan
01-07-2014, 09:52 AM
I laugh when people complain about the BCS. It's usually the same people complaining about mythical championships from the previous era. The invention of the conference championship game and, especially, the BCS ushered in the golden age of college football. It was coincidentally timed perfectly with the television/technology boom and grew into the cash cow it is today. The BCS was meant to draw attention to CFB and generate discussions (arguments) about it all while definitively determining one champion.

Bingo. Dead on

SignalToNoise
01-07-2014, 09:56 AM
I laugh when people complain about the BCS. It's usually the same people complaining about mythical championships from the previous era. The invention of the conference championship game and, especially, the BCS ushered in the golden age of college football. It was coincidentally timed perfectly with the television/technology boom and grew into the cash cow it is today. The BCS was meant to draw attention to CFB and generate discussions (arguments) about it all while definitively determining one champion. Mission accomplished.

I don't oppose the playoff. I like it too, although just 4 teams is silly. I just don't understand the hate for the BCS. It did it's job, and brought us to the next era. Time to move on and quit complaining.

Good post. I agree with this.

FISHDAWG
01-07-2014, 10:48 AM

^^^ totally agree - needs to be a way to eliminate human emotion from the decision - something most fans can't do ... I like the idea of a playoff but loved the BCS formula

Quaoarsking
01-07-2014, 10:51 AM
THIS - Does anyone really think the committee will allow two teams from the same conference (much less the same division of the same conference) to both be in the Top 4? It will be MUCH harder for the SEC's dominance to continue under this system.

Yes. Quit the conspiracy nonsense. The SEC will have 2 teams in the playoff more often than not. Period.

Quaoarsking
01-07-2014, 10:52 AM
A fifth team? There's about a dozen or so that could make a case this year.

Not really. The only controversy is Baylor vs. Michigan State and almost everyone thinks it would have been Michigan State.

PMDawg2
01-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Not really. The only controversy is Baylor vs. Michigan State and almost everyone thinks it would have been Michigan State.

Virtually everyone on this list could make a case. Stanford, Ohio State, UCF, Baylor, and even Louisville could make a strong case prior to the bowls. Watch. next year it's gonna be a cluster.

1 Florida State (60) 14-0 1500
2 Auburn 12-2 1428
3 Michigan State 13-1 1385
4 South Carolina 11-2 1247
5 Missouri 12-2 1236
6 Oklahoma 11-2 1205
7 Alabama 11-2 1114
8 Clemson 11-2 1078
9 Oregon 11-2 974
10 UCF 12-1 959
11 Stanford 11-3 936
12 Ohio State 12-2 816
13 Baylor 11-2 778
15 Louisville 12-1

Quaoarsking
01-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Virtually everyone on this list could make a case. Stanford, Ohio State, UCF, Baylor, and even Louisville could make a strong case prior to the bowls. Watch. next year it's gonna be a cluster.

1 Florida State (60) 14-0 1500
2 Auburn 12-2 1428
3 Michigan State 13-1 1385
4 South Carolina 11-2 1247
5 Missouri 12-2 1236
6 Oklahoma 11-2 1205
7 Alabama 11-2 1114
8 Clemson 11-2 1078
9 Oregon 11-2 974
10 UCF 12-1 959
11 Stanford 11-3 936
12 Ohio State 12-2 816
13 Baylor 11-2 778
15 Louisville 12-1

Again, practically 100% of college football fans agree that Florida State, Auburn, and Alabama would have been in. The only question is Michigan State vs. Baylor, with maybe a few people arguing for Stanford, although with 2 losses including 1 to 5-7 Utah, no one would feel any sympathy. There were lots of articles speculating on this, and no one was arguing for South Carolina, Mizzou, Oklahoma, etc., and certainly no one for a mid-major like Louisville or UCF.

It's all speculative on what next year will look like, but looking at the last 15 years, there's no reason to think it will be particularly controversial beyond 2-3 teams wanting the last spot.

gravedigger
01-07-2014, 07:48 PM
It was never the ultimate answer. It was to correct the absolute shitfest that the media and coaches polls created with split national championships and the rose bowl holding the #1 and #2 teams from playing each other.

I have always thought the most moronic thoughts ever uttered on the radio were from reporters about how the BCS was a failure or how it didn't do a good job. Exquisite bullshit. We never, and I mean NEVER, had a national championship before the BCS.

One might be able to argue the ones the BCS named were not the most worthy, but the worst national champion of the BCS era was more valid than the best example of any year before it.

All hail the new championship. But if you think that 13 people privately deciding, with no means of answering for their choices , is going to bring about a better NC than what we just saw you are kidding yourself.

It will bring about 2 extra games that will be fun to watch. Nothing more.

PMDawg
01-08-2014, 08:30 AM
Again, practically 100% of college football fans agree that Florida State, Auburn, and Alabama would have been in. The only question is Michigan State vs. Baylor, with maybe a few people arguing for Stanford, although with 2 losses including 1 to 5-7 Utah, no one would feel any sympathy. There were lots of articles speculating on this, and no one was arguing for South Carolina, Mizzou, Oklahoma, etc., and certainly no one for a mid-major like Louisville or UCF.

It's all speculative on what next year will look like, but looking at the last 15 years, there's no reason to think it will be particularly controversial beyond 2-3 teams wanting the last spot.

Good to kno you personally polled practically every college football fan. Unfortunately, the fans don't pick the final 4. Right now, there are one or two teams with a gripe each year. Expanding from 2 to 4 adds another couple who will have a gripe each year, and when we expand to 8 or 12 it will grow exponentially.

I'm excited to watch what happens with it, but I'm just arguing that the BCS did a really good job for almost 20 years so I really just don't see the big complaint with it.

ckDOG
01-08-2014, 09:52 AM
I'm looking forward to the playoff system. There will always be a team left out, but I feel better leaving out the handful of teams that may have been able to claim the 4th spot than the one or two that may have been able to claim the 2nd in the old format. It's not perfect, but I should be more interested going forward.