PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft - no RB's in 1st round

slickdawg
04-26-2013, 01:32 PM
amazing.

Eddie Lacy wasn't drafted in the first round, that's crazy, the guy is a freaking beast.

fishwater99
04-26-2013, 02:55 PM
I thought the Packers would take him..

He won't last long tonight, maybe teams saw how Ingram has not panned out and thought his success was a product of Bama's OLine..

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-26-2013, 03:15 PM
the last decade has proven it is a wasted pick unless a once a lifetimer comes along like AP. You can find plenty of serviceable guys in later rounds. Vic Ballards, etc.

There are so many different situational backs that it will only get worse.

FlabLoser
04-26-2013, 03:55 PM
I wonder if the new lead-with-the-head rule is also devaluing RBs.

War Machine Dawg
04-26-2013, 04:02 PM
I'd say it's more that the NFL has become a 2-back league, outside of a superstar like AP. Those guys take so much punishment you need at least 2 to successfully make it through a season. Their careers also aren't very long, with almost all of them dropping off significantly after age 30. That being the case, teams are going to become more and more reluctant to give big money to RBs. Hell, look at how much trouble Matt Forte - a guy who was 60+% of his offense's production - had getting his money. If anyone should've gotten big money, no questions asked, outside of AP I'd say it should've been Forte.

It's a pretty easy position to fill and as Enis pointed out, you can find good backs in the later rounds. You need a good RB to win, but paying them big money is quickly trending downward.