PDA

View Full Version : Something we need to keep an eye on - Louisville coaching search....

HancockCountyDog
01-06-2014, 01:43 PM
The word is that the AD wants Rich Rod. Now, Im not sure they can get him, but moving to the ACC will help find a big time coach.

The reason this opening is important is because we all know who the AD at Zona is, and if you don't think he will have a conversation with CDM, I think you are mistaken. Zona by itself doesn't measure up to MSU, but Zona + Byrne, could be an interesting combo if you are CDM.

I haven't heard a single thing about this job, but I think its a job we should have our eye on.

Goat Holder
01-06-2014, 01:45 PM
No, we shouldn't. Geez, son.

HancockCountyDog
01-06-2014, 01:46 PM
No, we shouldn't. Geez, son.

You don't think CDM is a coach that a program would want?

I think you vastly underestimate the job CDM has done here.

Goat Holder
01-06-2014, 01:55 PM
No, I don't.

We went through this before when they hired Rich Rod. Mullen is not leaving for Arizona unless they double his salary.

Johnson85
01-06-2014, 02:02 PM
The word is that the AD wants Rich Rod. Now, Im not sure they can get him, but moving to the ACC will help find a big time coach.

The reason this opening is important is because we all know who the AD at Zona is, and if you don't think he will have a conversation with CDM, I think you are mistaken. Zona by itself doesn't measure up to MSU, but Zona + Byrne, could be an interesting combo if you are CDM.

I haven't heard a single thing about this job, but I think its a job we should have our eye on.

I seriously doubt Mullen is leaving for a lateral move (at best) right before he gets a chance to face an easy (by MSU standards) schedule with a team loaded with upperclassmen and a qb that fits his coaching style. If Mullen jumps ship this year, it'll be because he knows next year is not going to be as rosy as people think, in which case it would be time for us to get rid of him anyway, and at least he'd be leaving at a time when the job would appear attractive from the outside.

HancockCountyDog
01-06-2014, 02:14 PM
I seriously doubt Mullen is leaving for a lateral move (at best) right before he gets a chance to face an easy (by MSU standards) schedule with a team loaded with upperclassmen and a qb that fits his coaching style. If Mullen jumps ship this year, it'll be because he knows next year is not going to be as rosy as people think, in which case it would be time for us to get rid of him anyway, and at least he'd be leaving at a time when the job would appear attractive from the outside.

People forget the pressure he was feeling heading into Arkansas. Im sure he doesn't. Restarting the clock on expectations and how long you have to build a program in a division that isn't the toughest in all of college football isn't the worst thing in the world especially considering the AD.

Statefan
01-06-2014, 02:14 PM
What if Miami or Louisville hires Hud, and we have a fantastic season with our well-developed QB and Mullen gets hired to a school that is perceived as a better program next season?

That would be quite the roller coaster of emotions with a good season and Dak and keeping our 2015 class

HancockCountyDog
01-06-2014, 02:18 PM
What if Miami or Louisville hires Hud, and we have a fantastic season with our well-developed QB and Mullen gets hired to a school that is perceived as a better program next season?

That would be quite the roller coaster of emotions with a good season and Dak and keeping our 2015 class

Golden is staying at Miami for now;

I bet Louisville goes after Chad Morris.

smootness
01-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Mullen is never going to Arizona or a similar program unless he's about to be fired. Period.

Dawg61
01-06-2014, 02:25 PM
I'm not worried about losing Mullen. I AM worried about losing Collins and some other assistants. For the love of gawd can we please get some raises for our DC and all the other assistants. Now is NOT the time to be trying to save a buck with assistants salaries.

smootness
01-06-2014, 02:29 PM
I'm not worried about losing Mullen. I AM worried about losing Collins and some other assistants. For the love of gawd can we please get some raises for our DC and all the other assistants. Now is NOT the time to be trying to save a buck with assistants salaries.

This all day.

I believe spending for assistants to make sure you have who you want is behind only the HC and big facility upgrades (like expanding the stadium) in terms of its importance to a football program.

You won't keep someone like Collins forever, but avoiding turnover for a year or two and having someone that good stay a couple of extra years can be gigantic for moving your program forward.

Bo Darville
01-06-2014, 02:32 PM
My thought is that we can't keep a guy from leaving. If Mullen wants to go to Penn State, Arizona, Millsaps, or Grambling, then we can't really stop him. With our ticket sales, stadium expansion, returning talent, head coach salary, etc., we are a desirable job. If Mullen leaves, then we go get us somebody who can continue the success we are having. It is part of being a good program. Half our fanbase wants players that suck so we don't have to worry about them leaving early for the NFL, and a coach that sucks so we don't have to worry about them being poached by other programs.

Let's not be poor ole MSU anymore, the worst job in America. We've got a nice budget, great facilities, TV exposure, good weather, an impressive stadium and jumbotron, some top-notch talent on the team, etc. We are a place that people should want to coach football.

smootness
01-06-2014, 02:36 PM
My thought is that we can't keep a guy from leaving. If Mullen wants to go to Penn State, Arizona, Millsaps, or Grambling, then we can't really stop him. With our ticket sales, stadium expansion, returning talent, head coach salary, etc., we are a desirable job. If Mullen leaves, then we go get us somebody who can continue the success we are having. It is part of being a good program. Half our fanbase wants players that suck so we don't have to worry about them leaving early for the NFL, and a coach that sucks so we don't have to worry about them being poached by other programs.

Let's not be poor ole MSU anymore, the worst job in America. We've got a nice budget, great facilities, TV exposure, good weather, an impressive stadium and jumbotron, some top-notch talent on the team, etc. We are a place that people should want to coach football.

Yep. Considering the stature the SEC has now in college football, and the money/salaries associated with it, I would say we're probably around a top 25 job in the country right now. We're better than at least Vandy in the SEC and at least on par with schools like Ole Miss, UK, and Arkansas.

And outside the SEC, there are only a few I would say are definitely better - Ohio State, Texas, USC, Oregon, Florida State, Clemson, Michigan, Oklahoma and then you get into those that may be on a similar plane...Wisconsin, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, etc.

Political Hack
01-06-2014, 02:36 PM
CDM had the chance at Zona already. He's still here.

preachermatt83
01-06-2014, 02:38 PM
True words Bo!!

preachermatt83
01-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Why would Rich Rod leave Arizona for Louisville?

Big4Dawg
01-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Our assistants aren't going anywhere because of money. None of them under Mullen ever have.

preachermatt83
01-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Our assistants aren't going anywhere because of money. None of them under Mullen ever have.

What are you talking about? you don't think Manny and Hud leaving had anything to do with money?

mic
01-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Franklin should be Louisville 1st 2nd and 3rd choice.

smootness
01-06-2014, 02:48 PM
What are you talking about? you don't think Manny and Hud leaving had anything to do with money?

Hudspeth, no. You don't stay as a semi-coordinator at Mississippi State if there is a D1 head-coaching job waiting. Diaz, maybe but probably not. Even if we had been able to pay him what Texas could (at some point, we just can't), he probably would have left anyway. Diaz is someone who was looking to move up the coaching ranks, and being a coordinator at Texas is a good way to do that.

preachermatt83
01-06-2014, 02:48 PM
I figure there are 3 names on their board. Chad Morris, Bobby Petrino, and James Franklin

preachermatt83
01-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Hudspeth, no. You don't stay as a semi-coordinator at Mississippi State if there is a D1 head-coaching job waiting. Diaz, maybe but probably not. Even if we had been able to pay him what Texas could (at some point, we just can't), he probably would have left anyway. Diaz is someone who was looking to move up the coaching ranks, and being a coordinator at Texas is a good way to do that.

So even if Tex and ULL had offered them the exact same thing they were making at state you think they would have left still? Or held out for more money?

bully99
01-06-2014, 02:50 PM
A sports writer in Arizona said Louisville's Athletic Budget is 96million and Arizona's is 66million. Papa John must be selling lots of pizza's. Didn't realize they had that kinf of loot.

Also Byrne said he feels good about Rodriguez staying at Arizona.

Johnson85
01-06-2014, 02:52 PM
People forget the pressure he was feeling heading into Arkansas. Im sure he doesn't. Restarting the clock on expectations and how long you have to build a program in a division that isn't the toughest in all of college football isn't the worst thing in the world especially considering the AD.

People aren't forgetting the pressure he face (or at least I'm not). If he doesn't like the pressure, he will have plenty of opportunities for jobs after next year, when he finishes his 5th straight winning season at MSU in what should be his most successful season since 2010, if not his most successful period. At the very least, he should be able to get his contract renewed for four years with a decent buyout for each year. The only reason for Mullen to jump ship now is if he thinks the OL is not there or if he just doesn't think he personally can get it done.

smootness
01-06-2014, 02:54 PM
So even if Tex and ULL had offered them the exact same thing they were making at state you think they would have left still? Or held out for more money?

Yes, I do.

Johnson85
01-06-2014, 03:00 PM

Had state matched the offers, they were most likely still gone. UT is one of the few places where we can't expect to hold on to people that are offered lateral moves. Unless there is instability or they just happen to love their situation at State, they are going to take a lateral move. But realistically, we are not going to match their money.

Hud might have stayed, but only because a school like MSU paying $700k to a non-coordinator assistant (and even a coordinator) identifies him as a huge asset. The oddity of that happening might have given Hud enough notoriety that he could hold out for a better head coaching job or give him confidence that the administration thought it was likely that Mullen would eventually leave and that he would be the de facto coach in waiting.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
01-06-2014, 03:05 PM
I don't see Rich Rod jumping ship, unless he just wants to get back on the east coast. He has a good thing going with Arizona and he learned the "grass ain't always greener" lesson pretty well with the Michigan debacle. You never know though.

Big4Dawg
01-06-2014, 03:07 PM

Is that a real question?

Here is one of SS tweets:

JD ‏@jdgotskillz 2 Jan
@stricklinMSU You better pay @CoachCollins the money he deserves! Better not let him get away like the last few! #Hailstate

Scott Stricklin ‏@stricklinMSU 2 Jan
@jdgotskillz I don't think an assistant has left due to money since Dan has been here

JD ‏@jdgotskillz 2 Jan
@stricklinMSU manny Diaz

Scott Stricklin ‏@stricklinMSU 2 Jan
@jdgotskillz I was in that conversation. Wasn't a money decision.

HancockCountyDog
01-06-2014, 03:16 PM
The only assistant Im worried about losing is Deshea Townsend and that is only if Ken Whisenhunt gets a HC job and he tries to get Deshea back as an assistant.

Ive been told multiple times that Deshea wants to get back to the pro game. This would be his best shot.

SignalToNoise
01-06-2014, 03:35 PM

My understanding has always been:

- Manny wanted to be at Texas. Wasn't necessarily the money.
- Hud and Mullen clashed, Hud wanted to be an HC somewhere. Not necessarily the money.

Other posters on the board know way more than I do so maybe they'll chime in.

NCDawg
01-06-2014, 03:45 PM
CDM had the chance at Zona already. He's still here.

Are you sure he was offered the job?

Political Hack
01-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Are you sure he was offered the job?

no. wasn't trying to imply that. apologies.

the opportunity has come up before for those two to reunite and it didn't happen. Mullen has walked away from interest at Miami, Minnesota, Michigan, Penn State, and others. Why in the hell would he take a job at Zona over any of those schools?