PDA

View Full Version : Buy/Sell on Florida State and the SEC

Quaoarsking
01-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Buy/Sell: If Florida State loses tonight, the FSU administration and athletic department finally decides they need to be in the SEC and starts going through the behind-the-scenes channels to make that happen.

This is NOT a buy/sell of whether FSU joins the SEC. The SEC's current #1 expansion priority is adding new tv markets for the SEC Network, and FSU doesn't do that. Plus, Florida would strongly object and Georgia, SC, Kentucky, and Texas A&M wouldn't like the precedent (and supposedly have a handshake deal to all vote down in-state expansion), so FSU would have a lot of hurdles to overcome.

Nonetheless, I'm buying. If Auburn wins, it's probably because they were battle-tested and not intimidated by Florida State's talent. A loss shows Florida State that they can't pound 10 scrubs a year and expect to know how to beat an elite team who has already beaten several elite teams. It's only going to get harder with the playoff

Florida State has elite talent, an elite program, elite fans, etc. But for the best chance at the sustained postseason success they want, they need the annual baptism by fire of the SEC. With a loss tonight, I think their athletic department will finally understand that.

Political Hack
01-06-2014, 11:27 AM
sell. they're making more money being the front runner in the ACC than they would as just another east team in the SEC. And after 5-10 years in the SEC, that's exactly what they'd be. They're going to consistently get challenged from Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and SC. You can literally be good enough to finish first in the ACC and still come in 4th in an SEC division.

Also, I think the teams that have an in-state rival (UT, Vandy, Auburn, Bama, OM, State) need to think about the benefits of forcing other teams to split their states. Either that or just kick OM out. Four and one.

Johnson85
01-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Strong sell. I think it would make them realize how good they have it now. Most alumni are going to be relatively happy winning the ACC and being in the national championship discussion regularly even if they consistently come up short. Maybe after 5 of it fans will start to complain. But five years of being mediocre or even slightly above average in the SEC will get the AD and/or coach fired.

But I will say I think this discussion is going to be moot. It's not that I think FSU is great (although it may be), I just think the SEC was missing elite teams this year. I think Bama, Missourri, Auburn, and South Carolina would all have a chance to make it out of a tournament format as champions, and I think LSU and to a lesser extent UGA and A&M were very good teams at times this year, but I think it's clear any of those teams are a step below what the SEC has had in the top spots the last few years.

dogshiek
01-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Sell. It's like Dadgum Bowden said that he would rather pick his own patsies. FSU is the big frog in the ACC pond. They know that they can't dominate in the SEC. They haven't exactly dominated the ACC consistently either.

BulldogBear
01-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Sell, if for no other reason than the ACC is at this point in history a much easier path to the national championship series

Quaoarsking
01-06-2014, 12:02 PM
sell. they're making more money being the front runner in the ACC than they would as just another east team in the SEC.

I don't think that's correct, and they're going to fall further behind every year with the SEC Network and general tv apathy for the ACC.

PMDawg2
01-06-2014, 12:14 PM
sell b/c FSU wins in a blow out.

engie
01-06-2014, 12:32 PM
The bottom line is they signed away their TV right for 12 years. So, they are locked into the ACC barring something monumental happening, culminating in the collapse of the entire conference.

I think they realized they made a mistake about 2006...but they will never be able to fix it now.

Dawg61
01-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Buy that FSU wants in the SEC and they'd be a great fit but it won't matter. The SEC has their eyes squarely on VTech and UNC and won't take no for an answer. I'm convinced those are the next two schools coming in and that will be the end of new teams. UNC just can not allow NCState to trump them and will ultimately be forced to switch to the SEC. The SECNetwork putting their HQ in Charlotte is just brilliant takeover strategy.

Barking 13
01-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Sell.. the SEC needs a couple more cupcakes and not superpowers

Quaoarsking
01-06-2014, 09:50 PM
If FSU wants a national title, they have to get in the SEC. It doesn't look like a possibility now, but maybe they can spend a few years schmoozing enough SEC presidents to override Florida's objection. They have to try...

Todd4State
01-06-2014, 10:19 PM
Buy/Sell: If Florida State loses tonight, the FSU administration and athletic department finally decides they need to be in the SEC and starts going through the behind-the-scenes channels to make that happen.

This is NOT a buy/sell of whether FSU joins the SEC. The SEC's current #1 expansion priority is adding new tv markets for the SEC Network, and FSU doesn't do that. Plus, Florida would strongly object and Georgia, SC, Kentucky, and Texas A&M wouldn't like the precedent (and supposedly have a handshake deal to all vote down in-state expansion), so FSU would have a lot of hurdles to overcome.

Nonetheless, I'm buying. If Auburn wins, it's probably because they were battle-tested and not intimidated by Florida State's talent. A loss shows Florida State that they can't pound 10 scrubs a year and expect to know how to beat an elite team who has already beaten several elite teams. It's only going to get harder with the playoff

Florida State has elite talent, an elite program, elite fans, etc. But for the best chance at the sustained postseason success they want, they need the annual baptism by fire of the SEC. With a loss tonight, I think their athletic department will finally understand that.

A little bit off topic but MSU related- Scott needs to form some alliances with those Eastern schools and strike a deal where we will vote to keep out FSU and Texas if they vote to keep cowbells legal.

Dawg61
01-06-2014, 10:23 PM
A little bit off topic but MSU related- Scott needs to form some alliances with those Eastern schools and strike a deal where we will vote to keep out FSU and Texas if they vote to keep cowbells legal.

Excellent!!

BulldogBear
01-07-2014, 09:55 AM

Brilliant! Might there already be such a gentleman's agreement though?

SignalToNoise
01-07-2014, 10:00 AM
If FSU wants a national title, they have to get in the SEC. It doesn't look like a possibility now, but maybe they can spend a few years schmoozing enough SEC presidents to override Florida's objection. They have to try...

No.