PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the national title game?

smootness
01-06-2014, 02:51 AM
I'm probably going to end up rooting for FSU. I don't really like either team, but I really can't stand Auburn, so I'll probably pull for them to lose. I pulled for Oregon in 2010.

But I see a lot of similarities between this game and the 2006 version. Obviously completely different teams are involved so you can't really use that game to prove anything, but there was a general consensus that OSU was the better team; they were undefeated, they had the Heisman winner, and no one thought their offense could be stopped. Meanwhile, Florida had a loss, had somewhat surprised people by getting into the game, and wasn't thought of as quite up to par with OSU. Then Florida completely and utterly destroyed OSU, blew everyone's mind, and began the string of SEC titles that is still ongoing.

Obviously the main difference is that the SEC now gets the benefit of the doubt in most cases, but I still think most feel like FSU is the better team with more overall talent and that Auburn has played above their heads.

I think FSU has a good chance to win, but I thought the same of OSU in 2006. Could we see a similar result?

Thoughts?

Raytoraid83
01-06-2014, 03:03 AM
Who's the one team Florida St struggled with this year? That would be Boston College. What does BC have? One of the best running backs in the country in Andre Williams. Auburn has played the tougher schedule and from the miss st game on they are the more battle tested team. Florida States strength of schedule is the lowest to make the national championship game in the last 10 years. Give me the SEC streak and give me Auburn.

whosyourdawgy
01-06-2014, 08:00 AM
I don't like Auburn either, but I want them to beat the punk out of the Noles. I think the main reason I want this to happen is Winston. If they show him squinting toward the sidelines all night, I may not even be able to watch the game. That irritates the shit out of me and is stupid as Hell. Also, I still think that he got off way too light on the supposed rape case. Sure he was tried and found innocent, but there still had to be something to that story that wasn't right. And he gets off scott free, still wins the Heisman, and is still basically supposed to be your all American boy that kids are to look up too. I hope he gets hammered tonight and AU wins going away.

Tbonewannabe
01-06-2014, 09:07 AM
He wasn't found innocent. The DA declined to pursue the case with the evidence the cops gave them which didn't include even talking to Winston.

dogshiek
01-06-2014, 09:44 AM
After watching the game against us, Georgia, and Alabama; there is no way I would bet against Aubie. That said, I don't care for the Tiger/Eagles either. The more I hear those smug FSU players, the more I want AU to embarrass them.

curmudgeon
01-06-2014, 09:53 AM
My thoughts Auburn?

FlabLoser
01-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Yeah my thought is in both of Auburn's recent national championship runs, we let a victory over them slip through our fingers.

BogeyGolfer
01-06-2014, 10:47 AM
I can win the bowl pick em' if I chose correctly but I've went back and forth. Who would y'all take straight up?

msstate7
01-06-2014, 10:53 AM
I think fsu wins big. They'll be the best team auburn has seen all year. Most years the sec just has better athletes than the other teams in the championship -- not this year. Winston is the real deal and he's gonna shred auburns secondary.

Fsu 42
Auburn 21

Passing offense -- fsu #14, auburn #109
Passing defense -- fsu #1, auburn#102,

Rushing offense -- fsu #23, auburn #1
Rushing defense -- fsu #13, auburn #64

Total offense -- fsu #5, auburn #11
Total defense -- fsu #3, auburn # 89

(Total defense we're #18 and OM #38 against mostly same teams)

Fsu is #1 in passing defense despite destroying every team they played. That's impressive when you consider all teams they played were in catch mode. If auburn has to pass in this game, they're done.

Also remember analysts talking about auburn throwing with linemen down field. Officials will be watching for that tonight

The Croom Diaries
01-06-2014, 10:55 AM
If Florida State gets out to an early lead (14+ points) I think they'll probably win. But they haven't done that lately - the Florida and Duke game they were slow out of the gates into the 2nd quarter. I think it's close and Auburn's D comes up with a big INT, fumble recovery or something to change the game and they win. I like the fact that they've been in all these tight ball games all year, and Malzahn is a wizard of offensive play-calling...should be interested to see what he comes up with. I think Ellis Johnson will come up with some stuff as well to slow Winston down a little bit.

Goat Holder
01-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Pulling for FSU. I don't give a shit about the SEC and I hate Auburn football.

DownwardDawg
01-06-2014, 11:05 AM
I think fsu wins big. They'll be the best team auburn has seen all year. Most years the sec just has better athletes than the other teams in the championship -- not this year. Winston is the real deal and he's gonna shred auburns secondary.

Fsu 42
Auburn 21

I agree. I think FSU is the much better team. FSU has great corners and safties. They can load the box and leave their corners out on an island and force Auburn to beat them passing. FSU's offense should put up a ton of points against Auburn. All that said, Auburn is the luckiest team in America.

ETA: I keep hearing that FSU hasn't played anybody. Well, I don't think Auburn or Bama could go into Clemson that night, in that same atmosphere with all the hype that surrounded that game, and beat Clemson the way FSU manhandled them. FSU also easily dispatched of Duke who should have beaten aTm. Auburn barely beat aTm. I know those things don't mean much, but that's all I have to compare them with.

engie
01-06-2014, 11:19 AM
If FSU goes full man -- Marshall is going to torch them with his legs...

Big4Dawg
01-06-2014, 11:46 AM
I have no clue. Part of me wants to load up on the ML for Auburn, the other part of me wants to load up on -9 Florida State

Bothrops
01-06-2014, 11:59 AM
No way in hell FSU is going to stop Auburn's ground game. Even if they could defend it in practice, the real deal will be very different. Marshall will be able to extend plays and make them pay with his feet and arm. FSU will be able to throw and score, but Auburn controls the clock. Auburn might even start out in a hole, but it won't last. This is an intriguing matchup, but Auburn decides it late in the second.

bluelightstar
01-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Hope FSU wins by 30.

Pollodawg
01-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Don't give a shit about SEC pride. I am not an SEC fan. I am a damned Mississippi State fan. I hope FSU annihilates Auburn.

RougeDawg
01-06-2014, 12:26 PM
I dislike auburn as much as any, after the camgate especially. But these Florida State arrogant asshats need their asses kicked. Has anyone else noticed how much shit they've been talkin the past week or two? They are thinking and saying, that they will have their way with auburn tonight and auburn can't do shit about it. I hope auburn beats the **** of them for this simple fact, they are arrogant ****s that won a shit conference. They haven't really played anyone, yet act like they could win the NFC east. **** them. Arrogance is one thing I cannot tolerate. One reason I never gave OM a snowballs chance in hell when choosing a college.

RougeDawg
01-06-2014, 12:37 PM
I dislike auburn as much as any, after the camgate especially. But these Florida State arrogant asshats need their asses kicked. Has anyone else noticed how much shit they've been talkin the past week or two? They are thinking and saying, that they will have their way with auburn tonight and auburn can't do shit about it. I hope auburn beats the **** of them for this simple fact, they are arrogant ****s that won a shit conference. They haven't really played anyone, yet act like they could win the NFC east. **** them. Arrogance is one thing I cannot tolerate. One reason I never gave OM a snowballs chance in hell when choosing a college.

smootness
01-06-2014, 12:51 PM

Fsu 42
Auburn 21

Passing offense -- fsu #14, auburn #109
Passing defense -- fsu #1, auburn#102,

Rushing offense -- fsu #23, auburn #1
Rushing defense -- fsu #13, auburn #64

Total offense -- fsu #5, auburn #11
Total defense -- fsu #3, auburn # 89

(Total defense we're #18 and OM #38 against mostly same teams)

Fsu is #1 in passing defense despite destroying every team they played. That's impressive when you consider all teams they played were in catch mode. If auburn has to pass in this game, they're done.

Also remember analysts talking about auburn throwing with linemen down field. Officials will be watching for that tonight

This is all good stuff, but I just feel like it was much of the same back in 2006. Florida's defense that year was better than Auburn's this year, but all I heard was that OSU was clearly the best team in the country and that Florida wouldn't be able to stop Troy Smith; yet what occurred was complete domination by Florida.

It'll just be interesting. I don't see any way Auburn dominates FSU the way UF did OSU, but I could see them shocking people and beating FSU by 14+. Of course, I could also see FSU dominating from start to finish.

msstate7
01-06-2014, 01:00 PM

Fsu played 7 bowl teams and beat them 348 to 85. That includes the orange bowl champs by score of 51-14 on clemson's homefield. The acc is 0-2 vs sec in bowls but both games were contested. I think sec fans are slighting fsu...

Raytoraid83
01-06-2014, 01:06 PM
I think fsu wins big. They'll be the best team auburn has seen all year.

And Auburn will be the best team FSU has seen all year.

msstate7
01-06-2014, 01:06 PM
This is all good stuff, but I just feel like it was much of the same back in 2006. Florida's defense that year was better than Auburn's this year, but all I heard was that OSU was clearly the best team in the country and that Florida wouldn't be able to stop Troy Smith; yet what occurred was complete domination by Florida.

It'll just be interesting. I don't see any way Auburn dominates FSU the way UF did OSU, but I could see them shocking people and beating FSU by 14+. Of course, I could also see FSU dominating from start to finish.

Florida beat Osu bc they had much better athletes. I just don't think auburn athletes are better than fsu's. Fsu's athletes are from the southeast too.

01-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Food for thought...
(based on game scores)
Auburn is 7 points better than A&M (4 point game +3 for A&M home field)
A&M is 4 points better than Duke (Chick-fil-a)
FSU is 38 points better than Duke (ACC Champ)

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Auburn is a 4 loss football team in reality. It would be like LSU playing in this game this year. Auburn had some luck down the stretch, and ended up beating their highly ranked rival (who were overrated anyways). The break is going to cool them off, and FSU is going to roll just like they have done all season. FSU by 2 TD's

engie
01-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Food for thought...
(based on game scores)
Auburn is 7 points better than A&M (4 point game +3 for A&M home field)
A&M is 4 points better than Duke (Chick-fil-a)
FSU is 38 points better than Duke (ACC Champ)

The transitive property can be made to tell you whatever you want it to tell you.

Div I - FBS Mississippi St beat Troy 62 - 7
Div I - FBS Troy beat South Alabama 34 - 33
Div I - FBS South Alabama beat Tulane 41 - 39
Div I - FBS Tulane beat East Carolina 36 - 33
Div I - FBS East Carolina beat North Carolina 55 - 31
Div I - FBS North Carolina is better than Florida St because North Carolina beat Boston College 34 - 10
while Florida St only beat Boston College 48 - 34

Therefore, Mississippi St is better than Florida St in 2013
as shown in 6 rounds by a combined score of 296 - 201.

drunkernhelldawg
01-06-2014, 01:59 PM
If the game is a continuation of the season, FSU wins going away. But it's a brand new football game after a long layoff, so I'm picking Auburn to win sloppy.

bulldogsmsu
01-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Who's the one team Florida St struggled with this year? That would be Boston College. What does BC have? One of the best running backs in the country in Andre Williams. Auburn has played the tougher schedule and from the miss st game on they are the more battle tested team. Florida States strength of schedule is the lowest to make the national championship game in the last 10 years. Give me the SEC streak and give me Auburn.

I was beginning to believe FSU would just blow Auburn out, but the more I think about this the more I give Auburn a good shot. The ground game is crutal in controlling the game clock. If they are succesfull running the ball, I think they have a great shot at winning.

01-06-2014, 02:21 PM
The transitive property can be made to tell you whatever you want it to tell you.

I totally agree. I just found it interesting since two of the three games have taken place post-season. It gives about a much insight as a PS3 simulation.

deltadawg99
01-06-2014, 04:11 PM
I hope Auburn gets drummed. Screw the cheering for your own conference stuff.

Auburn is #2 behind OM for my most hated SEC team. After the whole Newton deal and the fact that they get away with blatant cheating while we get dinged for every little thing really makes me always cheer against Auburn.

I do think it will be a good game, but I think the key to FSU is winning is getting up and making Marshall beat them instead of Mason.

chef dixon
01-06-2014, 04:35 PM
And Auburn will be the best team FSU has seen all year.

To me that's definitely debatable. I think Auburn is about as overrated a 12-1 team as you can get. They are literally 4 plays away from playing in the Compass Bowl. With that said, they are riding high and doing the only thing they can do very well. I'm pulling for FSU and think they should be able to handle them, but all bets are off with this Auburn squad.

Schultzy
01-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Fla. State going away.

I'm not big on conference loyalties anymore.

Vandownbytheriver
01-06-2014, 05:45 PM
I loathe Auburn, but the way the police force and school handled the Winston shit, no way I can root for them. Even if he is actually innocent, shit looks shady as hell. **** them. War Eagle.

Raytoraid83
01-06-2014, 06:38 PM
To me that's definitely debatable. I think Auburn is about as overrated a 12-1 team as you can get. They are literally 4 plays away from playing in the Compass Bowl. With that said, they are riding high and doing the only thing they can do very well. I'm pulling for FSU and think they should be able to handle them, but all bets are off with this Auburn squad.

They definitely got lucky, no one can deny that. We choked our game against them away, they beat Georgia on a once in a lifetime play, and Alabama missed 3 fgs. But there is no doubt there offense is one of the tops in the country now and that mizzou game was no joke when they ran them out of the Georgia Dome. Over their last six SEC games they averaged over 300 rushing yards a game. That's unheard of. I hate pulling for auburn too but I think people aren't giving them enough credit.

Drugdog
01-06-2014, 06:46 PM

I agree.

Bully Dee Williams
01-06-2014, 07:10 PM
If we're lucky the field will open up and swallow both of these teams. I will never support Auburn in a single thing. FSU is so unbelievably arrogant and unlikable. I'm only watching this game because its the NC.

Dawg61
01-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Just got Auburn at +10.5. Like stealing candy from a baby. Easiest money ever. The disrespect being shown the SEC Champs is disgusting right now. I hope Auburn wins by 50.

AROB44
01-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Pulling for FSU. I don't give a shit about the SEC and I hate Auburn football.

+1000 To hell with the war chickens!!!

gravedigger
01-06-2014, 07:57 PM
I'm thinking fsu will win because I know a hot girl who graduated from there and she works in Starkville....and she's real hot.

Anyone got a problem with that?

Dawg61
01-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Is her name Lennay Kekua?