PDA

View Full Version : Dak's Heisman competition

Dawg61
01-05-2014, 11:52 PM
Thought I'd add who has been said will be candidates for the trophy next year. Feel free to add or edit where you see fit.

Christian Hackenburg QB PSU

Maty Mauk QB Mizzou

Mike Davis RB South Carolina

TJ Yeldon RB Bama

Derrick Henry RB Bama

Todd Gurley RB Georgia

Nick Marshall QB Auburn

Brett Hundley QB UCLA

Bryce Petty QB Baylor

Braxton Miller QB Ohio State

Marcus Mariotta QB Oregon

Ameer Abdullah RB Nebraska

Sean Mannion QB Oregon State

Lache Seastrunk RB Baylor

Tre Mason RB Auburn (may go pro)

Famous Jameis QB Florida State

Trevor Knight QB Oklahoma

Connor Cook QB Mich State

Myles Jack LB/RB UCLA

Alex Collins RB Arkansas

Buck Allen RB USC

Amari Cooper WR Bama

Byron Marshall RB Oregon

Everett Golson QB Notre Dame

DGB WR Mizzou

Duke Johnson RB Miami

Melvin Gordon RB Wisconsin

Taylor Kelly QB ASU

Taysom Hill QB BYU

These are the names I've found listed as candidates right now and Dak was listed also. As you can see there's a **** ton of talent out there and Dak will have a very tough task to beat these guys.

defiantdog
01-06-2014, 12:10 AM
I'm not sure about Leonard Fournette since LSU likes to run 4 to 5 running backs during the game. Go ahead and add Navy's Keenan Reynolds.... dude puts up some numbers.

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-06-2014, 12:21 AM
I think it is silly to say a guy who is in high school right now is a candidate for the Heisman Trophy.

Quaoarsking
01-06-2014, 12:38 AM
I predict the Heisman finalists next year will be:

Myles Jack (winner)
Jameis Winston
Tre Mason
Braxton Miller
Dak Prescott

Dawg61
01-06-2014, 12:38 AM
Fournette is listed so I put him.

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-06-2014, 12:53 AM
I figured that was a prefabricated list, I still think whoever put him on there is being naive.I am a little surprised the QB from OU isnt on the list. I will take a guess at next years finalists:

Winston (May win again )
Yeldon
Miller
Someone not on this list

Dawg61
01-06-2014, 01:28 AM
You're right Trevor Knight should be added and I'll take Fournette off. The Navy QB doesn't have a shot in hell. Not adding.

Todd4State
01-06-2014, 01:58 AM
Thought I'd add who has been said will be candidates for the trophy next year. Feel free to add or edit where you see fit.

Christian Hackenburg QB PSU

Maty Mauk QB Mizzou

Mike Davis RB South Carolina

TJ Yeldon RB Bama

Derrick Henry RB Bama

Todd Gurley RB Georgia

Nick Marshall QB Auburn

Brett Hundley QB UCLA

Bryce Petty QB Baylor

Braxton Miller QB Ohio State

Marcus Mariotta QB Oregon

Ameer Abdullah RB Nebraska

Sean Mannion QB Oregon State

Lache Seastrunk RB Baylor

Tre Mason RB Auburn (may go pro)

Famous Jameis QB Florida State

Trevor Knight QB Oklahoma

Connor Cook QB Mich State

Myles Jack LB/RB UCLA

Alex Collins RB Arkansas

Buck Allen RB USC

Amari Cooper WR Bama

Byron Marshall RB Oregon

Everett Golson QB Notre Dame

DGB WR Mizzou

Duke Johnson RB Miami

Melvin Gordon RB Wisconsin

Taylor Kelly QB ASU

Taysom Hill QB BYU

These are the names I've found listed as candidates right now and Dak was listed also. As you can see there's a **** ton of talent out there and Dak will have a very tough task to beat these guys.

But that can't be....Matt Stevens told us so.

messageboardsuperhero
01-06-2014, 02:18 AM
I'd guess the likely candidates will be:
Winston
Miller
Mariota

But when was the last time someone hyped in the preseason actually won the award? RGIII and Bradford got a little talk, but other than that, you'd have to go back to Troy Smith or Reggie Bush. Who though going into their seasons that JFF, Cam Newton, Winston, etc. would win? That's what Matt Stevens doesn't seem to get- guys come out of nowhere all the time, and lately those kinds of players have been winning it.

I would love for Dak to get a few mentions as a candidate at the Heisman- if for no other reason than to piss Stevens off.

defiantdog
01-06-2014, 12:07 PM
You're right Trevor Knight should be added and I'll take Fournette off. The Navy QB doesn't have a shot in hell. Not adding.

Keenan Reynolds will get recognition because he'll end up with 1,500 yards rushing. And Brett Hundley will be on the list before Myles Jack.... Jack doesn't play offense enough to get the recognition. And I honestly don't see the voters putting another Charles Woodson on the heisman block. If he played RB more consistently, I could see him seriously being in the mix.

My final 5 will be:
Jameis Winston
Braxton Miller
Brett Hundley
Dak Prescott
Tre Mason

Pollodawg
01-06-2014, 12:10 PM
It seems like Braxton Miller has been at Ohio State forever.

Dawg61
01-06-2014, 01:19 PM
It seems like Braxton Miller has been at Ohio State forever.

Yes and he looks like it too. Dude looks 35 years old.

Dawg61
01-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Be honest did you watch Myles Jack play at all? He is the freshman offensive and defensive player of the year for the Pac12. He won BOTH awards. He's a 1st round pick as a linebacker and he's a better running back than LB. Think about that for a second. He's an absolute stud. He's my pick to win next year after Dak of course.

drunkernhelldawg
01-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Dak can win it, but only by leading us to the SEC title game and a berth in the championship playoff. Winston has to be the early favorite, but only if FSU is again a top team.

dawgs
01-06-2014, 01:40 PM
i think thomas tyner overtakes marshall has oregon's primary RB. kid's a stud, world class speed and he's a tank at over 200 lbs already.

defiantdog
01-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Be honest did you watch Myles Jack play at all? He is the freshman offensive and defensive player of the year for the Pac12. He won BOTH awards. He's a 1st round pick as a linebacker and he's a better running back than LB. Think about that for a second. He's an absolute stud. He's my pick to win next year after Dak of course.

Yes I did watch Myles Jack this year.... I just guess my bromance for him isn't as high as yours. I'm not sure how he got freshman of the year in the Pac 12 because he played offense in only 4 games in the regular season. And he was only relevant in 3 of those. @ USC he had 2 carries for 2 yards then in the Sun Bowl he had 1 carry for 0 yards. The dude is a stud, I agree but I'm not sure he would get a heisman vote based on his offense. He's mainly a LB and defensive players don't win heisman trophies anymore.

Dawg61
01-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Haha I did watch both his first two games he got snaps as a RB. He had 5 touchdowns in his first 19 carries and 179 yards. He finished with 7 TD's on only 38 attempts (one being vs USC which you left out) and a 7.0 ypc average. He's stated from day 1 he wants to play LB first and Mora said he's an even better LB than RB but I disagree. I hope he keeps playing both he's too good not to play RB imo.

dawgs
01-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Haha I did watch both his first two games he got snaps as a RB. He had 5 touchdowns in his first 19 carries and 179 yards. He finished with 7 TD's on only 38 attempts (one being vs USC which you left out) and a 7.0 ypc average. He's stated from day 1 he wants to play LB first and Mora said he's an even better LB than RB but I disagree. I hope he keeps playing both he's too good not to play RB imo.

it's pretty laughable that jack won pac 12 offensive freshman POTY over thomas tyner tbh. tyner had 115 carries for 711 yds (6.2 ypc) and 9 TDs and 14 catches for 134 yds (9.6 ypc). whoever voted for jack when he only really played 3 games with significant offensive touches over tyner just got caught up in the buzz imo.

there might be another offensive freshman i'm missing since i don't watch and follow the pac 12 as closely outside of oregon, so i'm just pointing out how much better at least 1 pac 12 offensive freshman was than jack.

defiantdog
01-06-2014, 09:18 PM
He had 2 carries for 2 yards vs USC! Give me a break.... the guy is good but not freshman offensive MVP