PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling question

chef dixon
01-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Why does it seem we are the only team in the league that is consistently taking road trips to CUSA and Sun Belt teams? I'm assuming its a money issue. Always find it ridiculous when it seems teams like Auburn are playing 8 home games 4 out of every 5 years.

I've always hated these games, but we've typically pull them off even if it takes til the 4th quarter.

Pollodawg
01-05-2014, 03:45 PM
I wonder the same thing. Why in the hell were we playing at Troy in 2012 and why will be at USM in 2015.

chef dixon
01-05-2014, 03:48 PM
I wonder the same thing. Why in the hell were we playing at Troy in 2012 and why will be at USM in 2015.

Didn't know USM was home and home, but we are playing at South Alabama next year and we've played at MTSU, UAB, and La Tech all in recent memory. And we lost the La Tech game, which was absolutely devastating after Croom had just made a bowl game.

Coach34
01-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Ole Miss played @ Tulane in 2012
South Carolina played at Central Florida in 2013
Vandy played @ UMass in 2013
Kentucky played W. Kentucky on a neutral field in 2013

The mid-range schools are demanding home and home or million dollar paydays now. Remember that $1MM that UPig payed ULM in 2012 to come to Fayettenam- and lost?

Coach34
01-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Missouri travels to Toledo in 2014

Ole Miss was scheduled to play at UAB in 2015- not sure of the status of that game

Goat Holder
01-05-2014, 04:11 PM
It's all money, see Coach34's post. People forget this when ridiculing our schedule. Those games are tough. And shit, our fans would be bitching about those games anyway if we did have them at home.

justwin
01-05-2014, 04:22 PM
I think it's smart in a way... Msu fans on the coast can make day trips to USA, Troy, usm. TN fans can hit mtsu, mem and LA Msu fans can day trip tulane. Say what you will about Scott, but he's smart w $ and why give $ away for a home game where most Msu fans don't want to travel and pay hotels for some nonconf games in Sville so why not hit the road and avoid the payout.

I also like the resurrection of the usm rivalry. Overall, I'm thrilled to play 4 local teams year in and year out.. The troys, tulane. La tech, usm, alcorn, memphis, USA, etc as that's goodwill among those programs...**** UAB though

Why does it seem we are the only team in the league that is consistently taking road trips to CUSA and Sun Belt teams? I'm assuming its a money issue. Always find it ridiculous when it seems teams like Auburn are playing 8 home games 4 out of every 5 years.

I've always hated these games, but we've typically pull them off even if it takes til the 4th quarter.

RougeDawg
01-05-2014, 04:22 PM
It's all money, see Coach34's post. People forget this when ridiculing our schedule. Those games are tough. And shit, our fans would be bitching about those games anyway if we did have them at home.

It would be along these lines..... Geez, we've got to pack up and travel for another home game against a nobody team. The. People are bitching about not selling out and supporting our team because it's difficult to make that many home games for a lot of people/families. And the cycle continues.

defiantdog
01-05-2014, 04:40 PM
As of now, I think we're set to play @ Southern Miss in 2015 and @ La Tech in 2016,
OM is playing @ Memphis in 2015,
Vandy plays @ MTSU in 2015 and @ Western Kentucky in 2016,
Tennessee is @ UConn in 2015 (doesn't really count as a mid-range school)
Missouri is @ Toledo in 2014 and @ Arkansas State in 2015

So there's a few other SEC teams that have to make the horrendous road trip as well

DownwardDawg
01-05-2014, 04:46 PM
It doesn't bother me a bit. Just win. I have a friend who's wife graduated from Troy. He took her to the Troy/MSU game last year. They looked forward to that game for a year and were very excited about going. His wife loved it and they still mention that game today. He said it had never been like that at a Troy game(atmosphere).

gravedigger
01-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Why doesn't uconn count as a mid range school?

Percho
01-05-2014, 05:53 PM
I think it's smart in a way... Msu fans on the coast can make day trips to USA, Troy, usm. TN fans can hit mtsu, mem and LA Msu fans can day trip tulane. Say what you will about Scott, but he's smart w $ and why give $ away for a home game where most Msu fans don't want to travel and pay hotels for some nonconf games in Sville so why not hit the road and avoid the payout.

I also like the resurrection of the usm rivalry. Overall, I'm thrilled to play 4 local teams year in and year out.. The troys, tulane. La tech, usm, alcorn, memphis, USA, etc as that's goodwill among those programs...**** UAB though

Good post. I go to those po dunk games in Starkville but a lot do not show up. Don't give up the money and play them away unless concessions would make up the difference.

Will James
01-05-2014, 06:31 PM
I'd like to see 8 home games in even years, 7 homes with @Tulane in odd years.

Goat Holder
01-05-2014, 07:12 PM

Why? It's an easy win and Birmingham is a fertile recrootin ground with lots of MSU fans. Need as much exposure in that city as possible. It's been overlooked for years.

Games at Memphis, Tulane, UAB and USA should be staples of our scheduling. Now, I do not like playing at places like Louisiana Tech and Troy. Big cities with shitty teams is a win/win. The whole idea about playing in Jackson is along those same lines....we're playing in a city that we want to get exposure. I don't even mind playing in Hattiesburg honestly, as long as we win. But the problem is that they typically field a good team. So right now is the best time to play those guys, though I do not want to make a habit of it. Let's beat them twice and move on.

Todd4State
01-05-2014, 08:36 PM

It is money and also about guaranteeing ourselves seven home games a year. If we did a one game deal with Louisiana-Monroe, they would gouge us because they can. They know that we can only play one Non Bowl division team a year- so they have leverage there.

So, what Byrne and Scott are doing is basically a 2 home games in Starkville for 1 away game deal. And usually to a place where we don't have to go very far, and as others have said- a lot of times it's to a place where we try to recruit.

If we played someone like Colorado, we would have to do a home/home with them because a school like that is not going to just do a one game deal where they go on the road.

And it's not just us- others have mentioned other examples, and I also remember a few years ago Bama had to go play Duke on the road.

Auburn may be playing 8 home games, but I guarantee you that they are paying for it.

Todd4State
01-05-2014, 08:40 PM

USM is a little bit different. If we're going to proclaim ourselves as this being OUR State, and then not playing USM- it doesn't look good. Especially since we are willing to play Jackson State, Alcorn and if they can ever get their act together- Valley.

Think of it like Rome- conquer people and then show them goodwill. That's how you become THE university in a state.

Todd4State
01-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Didn't know USM was home and home, but we are playing at South Alabama next year and we've played at MTSU, UAB, and La Tech all in recent memory. And we lost the La Tech game, which was absolutely devastating after Croom had just made a bowl game.

Scheduling that game wasn't nearly as devastating as Croom not going for it late in the game when he should have. Needless to say, Dan wins that game.

Todd4State
01-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Why? It's an easy win and Birmingham is a fertile recrootin ground with lots of MSU fans. Need as much exposure in that city as possible. It's been overlooked for years.

Games at Memphis, Tulane, UAB and USA should be staples of our scheduling. Now, I do not like playing at places like Louisiana Tech and Troy. Big cities with shitty teams is a win/win. The whole idea about playing in Jackson is along those same lines....we're playing in a city that we want to get exposure. I don't even mind playing in Hattiesburg honestly, as long as we win. But the problem is that they typically field a good team. So right now is the best time to play those guys, though I do not want to make a habit of it. Let's beat them twice and move on.

Also, our fans travel well to those big cities like New Orleans and Memphis to the point where it almost negates any homefield advantage the other team might have. It basically turns it into a neutral site game.