PDA

View Full Version : Bout to get nippy, gentlemen.

starkvegasdawg
01-05-2014, 12:04 PM
As of 11:00 the arctic front has passed little rock but not made it to Memphis. Little rock was 42 with a 30 mph north wind. Just nw of there it was already in the 20's. Since I neither have a meteorology degree nor stayed in a holiday inn express last night I won't speak to forecasting precipitation. There are others on this board much more qualified to do that. Looking at you Ref.

I seen it dawg
01-05-2014, 12:30 PM
It's ripping thru Shreveport now. And it's cold.

Political Hack
01-05-2014, 01:42 PM
I thought this was going to be an impissplatinumplus type thread.****

starkvegasdawg
01-05-2014, 01:49 PM

If I knew how to post pics from my phone it would have been.

TheRef
01-05-2014, 02:00 PM
As of 11:00 the arctic front has passed little rock but not made it to Memphis. Little rock was 42 with a 30 mph north wind. Just nw of there it was already in the 20's. Since I neither have a meteorology degree nor stayed in a holiday inn express last night I won't speak to forecasting precipitation. There are others on this board much more qualified to do that. Looking at you Ref.

Haha...thanks for the handoff, buddy.

Currently, the National Weather Service is showing a very slim chance (<10%) of wintry precipitation for the Greenville area today/tonight. Memphis is forecasted for a rain/sleet/snow mixture turning into snow as the day progresses into night. Starkville is showing no chance of wintry precipitation today through tonight. To be safe, I'd try to limit being outside due to the extreme cold that is coming into the area and the quickness of how the temperatures will drop. Make sure to cover/bring in your plants and animals as this will be very dangerous for animals and plants. I know that the whole Jackson, MS CWA (County Warning Area) is under a hard freeze warning through tomorrow morning. Memphis CWA is under a wind chill warning. Both of these suggest caution over these temperatures.

starkvegasdawg
01-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Haha...thanks for the handoff, buddy.

Currently, the National Weather Service is showing a very slim chance (<10%) of wintry precipitation for the Greenville area today/tonight. Memphis is forecasted for a rain/sleet/snow mixture turning into snow as the day progresses into night. Starkville is showing no chance of wintry precipitation today through tonight. To be safe, I'd try to limit being outside due to the extreme cold that is coming into the area and the quickness of how the temperatures will drop. Make sure to cover/bring in your plants and animals as this will be very dangerous for animals and plants. I know that the whole Jackson, MS CWA (County Warning Area) is under a hard freeze warning through tomorrow morning. Memphis CWA is under a wind chill warning. Both of these suggest caution over these temperatures.

Hate to know we are completely out of the frozen precip chances. I just looked at the nam and rap models. Nam is indeed showing just rain. Rap shows prolonged snowfall overnight. Would love to know what parameters each uses to come to such different outcomes looking at a time period of no more than 12-15 hours out.

MetEdDawg
01-05-2014, 03:27 PM
Projected low here Tuesday morning here in Auburn is 7 degrees. The high school I teach at postponed schools tomorrow and we are opening late on Tuesday due to the cold and the potential for frozen roads. With the rain/freezing rain/sleet/snow potential here tonight and the fact that we won't get above freezing until mid day Wednesday, that makes for crappy conditions.

On a side note, having a meteorology degree makes this stuff way more fun than it should be. I just kind of want to see how cold it will get and how bad the wind chill values will be because that's just cool to me.

DownwardDawg
01-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Global warming is kicking our ass******

chainedup_Dawg
01-05-2014, 04:59 PM

Me too! To quote Tosh, Titties!

PassInterference
01-05-2014, 05:03 PM
Global warming is kicking our ass******

With the arctic blast going south, is the North Pole getting a warm air rush from the opposite side of the planet or from somewhere else?

notsofarawaydawg
01-05-2014, 05:09 PM
Projected low here Tuesday morning here in Auburn is 7 degrees. The high school I teach at postponed schools tomorrow and we are opening late on Tuesday due to the cold and the potential for frozen roads. With the rain/freezing rain/sleet/snow potential here tonight and the fact that we won't get above freezing until mid day Wednesday, that makes for crappy conditions.

On a side note, having a meteorology degree makes this stuff way more fun than it should be. I just kind of want to see how cold it will get and how bad the wind chill values will be because that's just cool to me.

HELL is actually going to freeze over then. ****

Will James
01-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Having never felt a negative wind chill, I am looking forward to it tomorrow morning. The colder the better this ONE time.

starkvegasdawg
01-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Having never felt a negative wind chill, I am looking forward to it tomorrow morning. The colder the better this ONE time.

Coldest air temp I have ever been in was -18 in Denver. Don't think there was much of a wind but as cold as it was it really didn't matter. I love honest cold weather. Just wish our central heat had not gone out.

imissplatinumplus
01-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Did somebody say Nippy?
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/great-photos-thechive-36.jpg?w=500&h=525

jbjones
01-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Did somebody say Nippy?

Oh wow...thank you!

Anyway, yeah, it's cold. Add to that the wind speeds, and it's going to be downright nasty. I just hit nearly 30 mph winds in West Lowndes.

-JB

Harrydawg
01-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Hot damn! This is what I'm talking about, I hope this is a .gif.....I am waiting for the turn around.

bully99
01-05-2014, 08:28 PM
But Jim Cantore said later in January and February all signs point to warm temps. Cantore and Bastardi try to outdo each other on long term predictions. Bastardi said in early December that we were headed to December1983/1989 type temps around Christmas. Of course it never did. For those of us who lived through those times, even this cold spell doesn't compare to those times.

Remember the reservoir was iced over from the shoreline to about 100 yards out. Now that was unreal.

Harrydawg
01-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Awesome, I'll never forget being without power in Clinton for a week in 89 or so. Also great memories with my older brother doing donuts in an iced over parking lot at North Park Mall in 83.

One of our neighbors decided he ride a bicycle across our frozen lake. He made about 20 yards before his front tire busted thru the ice......he torpedoed under the water for 10 feet before busting up out of the ice. Funniest shit I've ver seen. He ran all the way home and never got the bike out.

bully99
01-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Had an apartment in Starkville in December 1983,and went home for Christmas and like most didn't leave the heat on and then the bitter cold hit a few days before Christmas. Fortunately had an apartment manager who went around and turned on the heat so my apartment wasn't flooded after the pipes thawed out., but a lot of students came back or were called back to flooded apartments.

Since State students are still on break, I'm hoping nothing like that happens this week. Lots of people lost a good bit. This doesn't look as cold or prolonged as it was back then.

TheRef
01-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Had an apartment in Starkville in December 1983,and went home for Christmas and like most didn't leave the heat on and then the bitter cold hit a few days before Christmas. Fortunately had an apartment manager who went around and turned on the heat so my apartment wasn't flooded after the pipes thawed out., but a lot of students came back or were called back to flooded apartments.

Since State students are still on break, I'm hoping nothing like that happens this week. Lots of people lost a good bit. This doesn't look as cold or prolonged as it was back then.

I left my heater at about 65 so that it wouldn't happen...

Will James
01-05-2014, 09:23 PM
Destin FL will have a wind chill of 6.

That's insane.

TheRef
01-05-2014, 09:29 PM
Destin FL will have a wind chill of 6.

That's insane.

Like we said, this won't be pretty.

Offshore Dawg
01-06-2014, 08:57 AM
I worked Russia in 50 below zero for three years. And that MoFo's is <17<ing cold

Bullmutt
01-06-2014, 03:54 PM
I have a cousin from the Sierra foothills of CA staying in our condo in Ft. Walton Beach for a month to escape winter for a while. When she saw the forecast, we got a phone call just so she could ask WTF?!!!