PDA

View Full Version : basketball season ticket sales

campmore
01-05-2014, 11:17 AM
I would like to know how many basketball season tickets we have sold this year compared to last year. I would also like to know how Rick Rays first year compared to Rick Stansburys last year. Every year our athletic department announces how many football and baseball season tickets we have sold. I believe the last year that Rick Stansbury we sold out of all of our season tickets. I also believe that we had sold out of season tickets for 10 years in a row. I believe that season ticket sales are down dramatically but I have not seen the numbers. Who knows what the numbers are?

TheRef
01-05-2014, 11:36 AM
The problem with comparing the two is the very high expectations preseason during Stansbury's last year and the no expectations for Ray's year this year. So this is definitely comparing Apples to Oranges right now.

msstate7
01-05-2014, 11:46 AM
I would also like to know how Rick Rays first year compared to Rick Stansburys last year.

I don't know the numbers, but I can guess. Stansbury's last year he had 2 5-star players (hood and Sidney), senior pg (bost), and an unbelievable transfer (moultrie). Ray's first year all those players were gone including others. Then 2 of our new players had season-ending injuries. Which year would you say generated the most excitement among ticket buyers?

bully99
01-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Don't know how many season tickets were sold, but when you start selling "mini plans" and giving free pizza to students, you probably aren't selling many.

BTW, Ref, have you taken advantage of the free pizza and if so how is it.

engie
01-05-2014, 12:32 PM
It's a myth that Stans was selling out season tickets every year. He did some -- but not that often overall. Certainly not every year. As is seen in our total paid attendance averages over the years.

Total attendance at MSU:
2014 - haven't yet found a manual of current attendance
2013 - 6721
2012 - 8019
2011 - 5710
2010 - 6878
2009 - 8728
2008 - 9253
2007 - 8882
2006 - 8952
2005 - 7925
2004 - 7996
2003 - 7022
2002 - 5689
2001 - outside top 100. 100th was 5184
2000 - outside top 100. 100th was 5248
1999 - outside top 100. 100th was 5532

So, Ray's first team that was obviously going to be terrible had paid attendance equal the average of the last 3 years of Stansbury -- when we were supposed to be a tournament team all 3 times.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/1999.pdf

Change the year in the URL to look at different years.

bully99
01-05-2014, 12:53 PM
How many season tickets do they make available every year. When I was a student thirty plus years ago, we got in free, do students still get in free.

Coach34
01-05-2014, 12:56 PM
well damn Engie- those werent numbers he was hoping to hear. Why you gotta bring the truth-n-shit?

Stands last year we were ranked and supposed to be a shoo-in for the NCAA Tourney. The only question was how high our seed was going to be. Yet we cluster****ed out way into a 1st round NIT loss at home. Yeahhhhhh, we all want to watch more of that shit

I seen it dawg
01-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Who gives a shit about season tickets right now. The program was almost destroyed and has to be rebuilt. It's gonna take a little time.

Coach34
01-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Who gives a shit about season tickets right now. The program was almost destroyed and has to be rebuilt. It's gonna take a little time.

The Stands-Lovers refuse to admit this. They insist that all we had to do is get rid of Sidney and all would be right with the world again

TheRef
01-05-2014, 01:51 PM
BTW, Ref, have you taken advantage of the free pizza and if so how is it.

It's Little Caesar's $5 pepperoni pizza....I've had it. Can't complain. Two pieces to each student.

TheRef
01-05-2014, 01:52 PM
How many season tickets do they make available every year. When I was a student thirty plus years ago, we got in free, do students still get in free.

Yes. Students get in free by scanning their ID.

bully99
01-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Of course free is probably not a good word to use considering all the tuition, fees and other stuff. I think we paid a 50$ activity fee each semester and a parking decal was 5$ for the whole year. Probably safe to say it's a little more expensive these days.

TheRef
01-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Of course free is probably not a good word to use considering all the tuition, fees and other stuff. I think we paid a 50$ activity fee each semester and a parking decal was 5$ for the whole year. Probably safe to say it's a little more expensive these days.

I WISH the parking decal was only $5/yr. It's around $150 for a parking decal now and I think the activity fee is around $100 I believe.

I seen it dawg
01-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Haha if I could go back I would pay $1000 for a parking decal.

campmore
01-05-2014, 03:40 PM
Nobody has answered my question of how many season tickets have we sold. I am not asking for announced attendance. David Murray said he was guessing about 400 people were at the Maryland Eastern Shore game. We announced a crowd of 6000. We announce how many football and baseball season tickets have been sold. Why is it not announced how many are sold for basketball?

I seen it dawg
01-05-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm sure it's some kind of conspiracy. Call the ticket office.

engie
01-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Nobody has answered my question of how many season tickets have we sold. I am not asking for announced attendance. David Murray said he was guessing about 400 people were at the Maryland Eastern Shore game. We announced a crowd of 6000. We announce how many football and baseball season tickets have been sold. Why is it not announced how many are sold for basketball?

So, in reality, you are asking about 3 different questions that come off as effort to push a pro-Stansbury agenda.

Do you want to "know how many tickets we have sold"? Do you want to "know how many SEASON TICKET packages we have sold"? Or do you want to know how many people are actually showing up for games? What DIFFERENCE does it make in the terminology of "how many season tickets we sold"? Obviously, that number hasn't dropped off like you were projecting/expecting in your initial post -- because IF IT HAD, our paid attendance would be way down and not still be roughly on par with the past, now would it? Surely no one thinks that people are buying up single game tickets that they aren't actually attending?

So, based on the information I've already provided you with, it is VERY EASY to interpolate that people are still buying their season tickets in basketball -- even if they aren't showing up to games yet. If they weren't, the paid attendance would be way down.

engie
01-05-2014, 04:34 PM
Based on MSU's revenue reporting per the Equity in Athletics public data

Men's basketball generated a total of $6,744,710 in revenue last year. In 2010/2011, it generated $6,914,565.

Hardly any "scraping the bottom of the barrel" difference...

campmore
01-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Based on MSU's revenue reporting per the Equity in Athletics public data

Men's basketball generated a total of $6,744,710 in revenue last year. In 2010/2011, it generated $6,914,565.

Hardly any "scraping the bottom of the barrel" difference...
Engie
I am not sure how to ask my question any clearer than to ask how many season tickets have been sold this year and the previous 2 seasons.

engie
01-05-2014, 05:17 PM
And that number matters, why exactly?

Call them and find out since it's obviously important to you for some unknown reason. Just as easy for you as it is for anyone else. It's not currently public information.

The only logical reason to want to know that number was to make a point that it's safe to say has already been buried.

shannondawg
01-05-2014, 05:45 PM
There is usually a real surge in ticket sales with the hiring of a new coach. Shouldn't that be the case in basketball as well?

campmore
01-05-2014, 05:48 PM
And that number matters, why exactly?

Call them and find out since it's obviously important to you for some unknown reason. Just as easy for you as it is for anyone else. It's not currently public information.

The only logical reason to want to know that number was to make a point that it's safe to say has already been buried.
Why would it not be public information? We publish football and baseball season ticket sales numbers so why not basketball? Our athletic department is a business and if you run a business you want to know about revenue trends. By looking at the number of people at games it appears we have trended down. You seem to be able to look other information why cannot we know that answer?

I seen it dawg
01-05-2014, 05:52 PM
NO ONE KNOWS. CALL THE TICKET OFFICE.

I seen it dawg
01-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Dead end.

Political Hack
01-05-2014, 06:20 PM
why is the anti-Ray crowd considered pro-Stans?

I'm not happy with our basketball program right now and think it needs to improve dramatically over the next year and a half or it's time to move along. 3 years to fix a basketball program is more than enough. It only takes 5 great players to beat the best team in the country.