PDA

View Full Version : The Hat Game is laughable

bully99
01-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Watching this high school game on TV where these jocks put out several college hats and pick one has gotten so ridiculous, somebody should put a stop to it. Embarrassing.

msstate7
01-04-2014, 01:51 PM
To me treating these 18-year-olds like gods is much more embarrassing than the hats, but I agree with you. Recruiting seems to be more important than anything else in south esp.

smootness
01-04-2014, 01:58 PM
To me treating these 18-year-olds like gods is much more embarrassing than the hats, but I agree with you. Recruiting seems to be more important than anything else in south esp.

Agreed. This may seem like a rationalization, but I really do like that the kids that seem to like doing these kind of ceremonies generally don't gravitate toward State. We need to get some of these guys, but it speaks well to the way we go about recruiting.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2014, 02:03 PM
For me, it's not whether or not they do a hat ceremony, it's the mindset they come into the program with.

1. Do they come for football reasons, expect to have to compete and earn everything, and about winning?

or 2. Do they choose the school because of the social life, money, blow jobs, ect, and expect to be treated like a god on campus.

There have been many good players that have hat ceremonies but commit to a school that is the right fit and for the right reasons. Those are the kids that are successful.

smootness
01-04-2014, 02:10 PM
For me, it's not whether or not they do a hat ceremony, it's the mindset they come into the program with.

1. Do they come for football reasons, expect to have to compete and earn everything, and about winning?

or 2. Do they choose the school because of the social life, money, blow jobs, ect, and expect to be treated like a god on campus.

There have been many good players that have hat ceremonies but commit to a school that is the right fit and for the right reasons. Those are the kids that are successful.

I agree with all of this, but I would guess that a larger percentage of guys who make a game of the process and like the spotlight bust out while a larger percentage of guys who quietly make their decision exceed expectations.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2014, 02:29 PM
I agree with all of this, but I would guess that a larger percentage of guys who make a game of the process and like the spotlight bust out while a larger percentage of guys who quietly make their decision exceed expectations.

I don't disagree, there is probably a correlation, but many good players that have the right attitude do hat ceremonies.

defiantdog
01-04-2014, 02:38 PM
It's hit and miss when it comes to hat ceremonies. Jadeveon Clowney hat faked Alabama and threw on the Cocks hat, Landon Collins almost had his mom in tears when he didn't put on the LSU hat, then you have Mackenzie Alexander who made a lethargic Clemson pick over us last year. It's all a stupid show that our media creates with hype. I mean hell, how many high school All-Star games are there now? There's so many All-Star games now, the media is begging the 18 year olds to become bigger than they actually are....

Give me more Anthony Dixon's, Jerious Norwood's, Clarence McDougal's, etc.... I like the hard workers who make a name for themselves in the program they choose. I honestly don't care to have a 5 star who is to big for the game. I'll continue to go to every MSU football game as long as the guys who are on the field want to play for MSU. I hope we never recruit "Scared to get hurt" Tunsils and "Attitude problem" Nkemdiches.

HoopsDawg
01-04-2014, 03:43 PM
I wish we had some kids playing in these all-star games.

The hat thing is what it is. These recruiting websites have become big business. And it's a good business move for them to promote these kids. Well some would say promote and some would say exploit. It's somewhere in the middle.

Todd4State
01-04-2014, 03:47 PM
I wish we had some kids playing in these all-star games.

The hat thing is what it is. These recruiting websites have become big business. And it's a good business move for them to promote these kids. Well some would say promote and some would say exploit. It's somewhere in the middle.

Jesse Jackson made the Under Armour All-Star Game, but he didn't play because of an injury. We have several in other All-Star games such as Gerri Green, Logan Cooke, and Aeries Williams