PDA

View Full Version : Horns 24/7 saying Charlie Strong

bully99
01-03-2014, 11:13 PM
Fwiw

CadaverDawg
01-03-2014, 11:16 PM
In my opinion, Strong would be a better fit in Florida somewhere. I can't believe Texas chose Strong over Franklin. I'm just not a big believer in Strong for some reason. If I were Penn State, I would offer Franklin ASAP. They should be thrilled if Texas offers Strong

smootness
01-03-2014, 11:19 PM
I like both coaches, but to me Strong has proven himself more to this point than Franklin has.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2014, 11:21 PM
I like both coaches, but to me Strong has proven himself more to this point than Franklin has.

Strong has proven more by winning by winning games against Louisville's schedule that Franklin has by winning against Vanderbilt's schedule?

I am a huge believer in Franklin. Franklin is a no brainer to me.

bluelightstar
01-03-2014, 11:26 PM
I know Franklin has improved Vandy, but they benefit greatly from being in the weaker division of the SEC. I think I saw that Vandy has only beaten a few teams that finished with winning records. I think Mullen's better.

Covercorner2
01-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Yep. Not to mention the SEC East, particularly Tennessee, has been weaker during his tenure that it has been during other Vandy coaches' tenures. Also, they haven't played anyone OOC. Oh, and his common western division opponent has been mighty TSUN.

Strong has better wins than Franklin at this point.

bully99
01-03-2014, 11:36 PM
I also remember years ago the national media said schools in the south wouldn't hire Strong because he was married to a white woman. Of course they played the race card.

chainedup_Dawg
01-03-2014, 11:37 PM
Strong has a far better talent pool to work with also. If you give Franklin the same talent pool, I have no doubt that Franklin would be better. By the way, saw this on SB nation too.

preachermatt83
01-03-2014, 11:42 PM
from coaching search ticker: Texas: Bobby Burton of 247 Sports reports that Charlie Strong will be the next head coach at Texas. Chip Brown of OrangeBloods.com also reports that Strong has indicated he will accept the job. Jeremy Fowler of CBS Sports reports Strong has not told his staff. Bruce Feldman says Texas has not made a decision

preachermatt83
01-03-2014, 11:44 PM
you heard it here first..... Petrino to Louisville part 2!!

Dawgowar
01-03-2014, 11:47 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20140103-report-louisville-s-charlie-strong-to-be-next-texas-longhorns-head-coach.ece

and from our friend Pat Forde....

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/headlines/20140103-national-columnist-charlie-strong-would-be-the-absolute-worst-fit-for-texas-job-jimbo-fisher-top-candidate-left.ece

bluelightstar
01-03-2014, 11:52 PM
Reports are coming out that Louisville has already contacted Cutcliffe.

preachermatt83
01-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Reports are coming out that Louisville has already contacted Cutcliffe.

Cut aint leaving duke .

bully99
01-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Reports 5 years. 5 million per

Dawgowar
01-04-2014, 12:09 AM
Cut aint leaving duke .

Pure sarcasm, want to see TSUN implode...if Mullen leaves we hire Cut with O as the DC 'Crootin Coordinator Meister Berger.

preachermatt83
01-04-2014, 12:09 AM
Reports 5 years. 5 million per

wow! HALF PRICE!

preachermatt83
01-04-2014, 12:10 AM
Pure sarcasm, want to see TSUN implode...if Mullen leaves we hire Cut with O as the DC 'Crootin Coordinator Meister Berger.

10-4

bully99
01-04-2014, 12:17 AM
And the OGRE may join Strong in Texas.

smootness
01-04-2014, 12:38 AM
Strong has a far better talent pool to work with also. If you give Franklin the same talent pool, I have no doubt that Franklin would be better. By the way, saw this on SB nation too.

First, why does he have a better talent pool? Kentucky is a better recruiting base than Tennessee? The Big East (or AAC or whatever) is more attractive than the SEC?

I don't get why people try to make James Franklin out to be the best coach in the country. He is a very good coach, he has done a great job at Vanderbilt. But Strong has been awesome at Louisville, too. What makes Franklin clearly better?

Bucky Dog
01-04-2014, 01:02 AM
The funny thing is, Strong had to be at least their fifth choice down. Saban, Shaw, Mora, Briles all said no, not to mention they had guys like Gruden and Harbaugh on their wish list. For some reason I love to hate Texas and it is because of their arrogance and perceived self worth, and the Bears think they are like Texas!! I think Charlie Strong is a good coach/recruiter just not sure how successful he will be at premier school in a top conference and schedule.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
01-04-2014, 01:04 AM

Are you kidding me? Franklin has won 15 of his last 19 games while playing in the best conference in America. Strong can't even win his conference with the probable number 1 draft pick at qb.

smootness
01-04-2014, 01:11 AM
Are you kidding me? Franklin has won 15 of his last 19 games while playing in the best conference in America. Strong can't even win his conference with the probable number 1 draft pick at qb.

Franklin's wins in that stretch:

Wake Forest x 2
Kentucky x 2
Tennessee x 2
UMass x 2
2012 Ole Miss
Crappy Auburn from last year
Crappy Florida from this year
Austin Peay
UAB
NC State in last year's bowl

And then UGA this year. It is certainly phenomenal for Vandy, no doubt. But which of those games would Strong have lost? Maybe UGA? But I doubt it. That was the height of UGA's injury issues - they had JJ Green and Brendan Douglas at RB and no one outside of Conley at WR.

I would say Strong's wins in his last 2 bowl games - destroying Miami this year and beating last year's Florida team - are much better than anything Franklin has done in that time frame. So that's where I'm coming from. No, I'm not kidding you.

Coach34
01-04-2014, 01:14 AM
Strong is about their 8th choice. So much for Texas getting anybody they want....

bluelightstar
01-04-2014, 02:08 AM
Franklin's wins in that stretch:

Wake Forest x 2
Kentucky x 2
Tennessee x 2
UMass x 2
2012 Ole Miss
Crappy Auburn from last year
Crappy Florida from this year
Austin Peay
UAB
NC State in last year's bowl

And then UGA this year. It is certainly phenomenal for Vandy, no doubt. But which of those games would Strong have lost? Maybe UGA? But I doubt it. That was the height of UGA's injury issues - they had JJ Green and Brendan Douglas at RB and no one outside of Conley at WR.

I would say Strong's wins in his last 2 bowl games - destroying Miami this year and beating last year's Florida team - are much better than anything Franklin has done in that time frame. So that's where I'm coming from. No, I'm not kidding you.

+1

engie
01-04-2014, 02:39 AM

How did he manage to end up winning the Sugar Bowl last year?

Goat Holder
01-04-2014, 08:39 AM
I agree with Forde. Strong would be a horrific fit at Tejas. They don't need a recruiter out there. Strong is best suited for places like Lville, Tenn, Arky, etc. that don't have immediate talent and need to recruit FL, where he can do big damage. I could see him at FSU maybe, but not UF or Miami. Again, you don't need a recruiter there.

Texas just needs a good x/o guy. Malzahn is the best out there for them. If they can't get him get Petrino.

I figured Lville had weathered the storm when they dodged Tenn. But there again, it might be the best time for strong to jump since he will lose TB and play a much tougher schedule.

Dawgfan77
01-04-2014, 08:46 AM

Teddy Ballgame is the reason. Strong is a great D coach but marginal HC, had he not lucked in to Bridgewater he wouldn't have the record he has. Teddy was commited to da Canes then Shannon got axed, when they hired Golden he wanted to go in another direction at QB, so Bridgwater chose Strong and UL. I will be shocked if Strong last more than 3 years at UT. Franklin has done a tremendous job at Vandy considering the conference and the academic requirements. This was a panic hire by TX

Covercorner2
01-04-2014, 09:25 AM
And what if Strong lands another elite QB at UT? Texas is loaded with them. Two heisman winners come to mind...

chainedup_Dawg
01-04-2014, 09:48 AM
I'm saying the talent on his team vs the talent on Louisville's team. You can't possibly think Vandy is as talented as Louisville? Plus, at TX, the talent will be exponentially better so yeah, I think Franklin would do better

Dawgfan77
01-04-2014, 09:54 AM
And what if Strong lands another elite QB at UT? Texas is loaded with them. Two heisman winners come to mind...

That is a Strong (pardon the pun)what if, the guy has hardly if ever recruited TX, and if he plans on Cruitin FL and not TX he will be a disaster. Also, Mack had his pick of QB's and couldnt do shit with them. Im just saying Strong is not going to be the savior that TX wanted. He was a 6-6 coach in the Big Least/AAC before he got Bridgwater

engie
01-04-2014, 09:55 AM
I'm saying the talent on his team vs the talent on Louisville's team. You can't possibly think Vandy is as talented as Louisville? Plus, at TX, the talent will be exponentially better so yeah, I think Franklin would do better

Whose fault is it that Louisville is so talented?

They both inherited equal dumpster fires.

msstate7
01-04-2014, 10:00 AM
That is a Strong (pardon the pun)what if, the guy has hardly if ever recruited TX, and if he plans on Cruitin FL and not TX he will be a disaster. Also, Mack had his pick of QB's and couldnt do shit with them. Im just saying Strong is not going to be the savior that TX wanted. He was a 6-6 coach in the Big Least/AAC before he got Bridgwater

I was wondering about his recruiting strategy also. Strong lives in the Miami area as far as recruiting goes. If he can cherry pick a few guys there, he should, but most his recruits should be texas guys. I'm sure he'll hire an offensive/defensive/recruiting cood from texas to help out recruiting. I'm not sure recruiting texas is that big of a deal though. If strong can evaluate well, he'll be fine bc the texas name recruits the best in texas by itself IMO

engie
01-04-2014, 10:06 AM

Say what? He inherited a frigging dumpster fire at Louisville. The fact he went bowling every year was impressive in it's own right.

So, ultimately, you don't think Strong will get elite QB talent at Texas? You know -- the #1 school in a state that produced 33% of the starting QBs both in the NFL -- and in this year's playoffs?

Vandownbytheriver
01-04-2014, 10:11 AM
You guys love the term "dumpster fire."

Political Hack
01-04-2014, 10:14 AM
I hope Ogre takes a job in China. I don't want that bastard within 18 hours of Mississippi. We'll be battling Tulane or ULaLa for 2 stars again.

Strong to Texas is a great hire IMO. Sumlin can walk into any Texas kids house and walk out with momma melting like butter. Now he's got to compete with Strong. This hire will help us too. A&M wi be fighting Texas, OU, and LSU for Texas talent again instead of just taking whoever they can get 10 months before signing day.

Political Hack
01-04-2014, 10:14 AM
You guys love the term "dumpster fire."

it's one of my favorites. Ole Miss should've coined it under Nutt.

Vandownbytheriver
01-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Only reason I can think this hire is a homerun is because Texas' defense has by and large sucked big donkey balls of late. Strong can fix that. Offensively, I hope he has a good O coordinator lined up because just having a Teddy Ballgame ain't gonna cut it in the Big 12. This seems like a save face hire after 5-10 people said no thanks.

Dawgfan77
01-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Time will tell but IMO this was not the best hire TX could have made, go ask the College football matrix guy I bet he will agree with me on this

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2014, 10:19 AM

Because Florida did't want to be there. Futhermore, look at Florida this year. Florida had no interest in playing in that game. Just like Bama/Utah a few years back.

engie
01-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Because Florida did't want to be there. Futhermore, look at Florida this year. Florida had no interest in playing in that game. Just like Bama/Utah a few years back.

You whiffed on my point. Read what I quoted...If he can't win his conference, how did he end up there in the first place?

Goat Holder
01-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Disagree. I don't think you need that for that job. X and Os are much more important out there. You get your pick of the litter from very well-coached recruits. All you have to do is motivate and put them in position to win.

Strong wants to recruit and then play grown man football. Plus he has natural ties to Florida. When you get away from nature, you fail. And he will fail at Texas. What he does isn't the formula there.

Malzahn would win 10 national titles at Texas. He's a southwest type guy. Texas has been successful with similar spread type systems. He'll get whatever recruit he wants, plus probably all the Arkansas guys.

Covercorner2
01-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Vandy will get exposed today

msstate7
01-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Disagree. I don't think you need that for that job. X and Os are much more important out there. You get your pick of the litter from very well-coached recruits. All you have to do is motivate and put them in position to win.

Strong wants to recruit and then play grown man football. Plus he has natural ties to Florida. When you get away from nature, you fail. And he will fail at Texas. What he does isn't the formula there.

Malzahn would win 10 national titles at Texas. He's a southwest type guy. Texas has been successful with similar spread type systems. He'll get whatever recruit he wants, plus probably all the Arkansas guys.

Mack brown was a south east guy too. I'd say he did well at texas

PendingTransaction
01-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Strong is a great coach. Damn...Franklin is no good, Sumlin luck, got Johnny, Strong rode Teddy. They are just like Croom and Joker. Hell I did hear anyone calling for Dan...probably cause his Teddy Johnny (Dak) saved his ass.

Coach34
01-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Strong is a solid coach. But he was about their 8th choice.

Bucky Dog
01-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Part of me would love to see Strong reject the Horns after Papa John whips out the "dough" to keep him in Louisville

smootness
01-04-2014, 02:42 PM
It's a complete myth that you don't need a good recruiter at Texas. If you want to be a successful coach anywhere, you need to be able to recruit and coach. Period. Texas isn't going to land a bunch of 5-stars if their coach can't recruit. They'll never drop to Mississippi State circa 2005 levels, but they would drop. Mack Brown is an excellent recruiter.

I like Strong. I see no reason why he must have been down their list. People are too tied to what's happening right now. Last year Sumlin looked like a stone-cold genius. Now people are wondering just how good he'll be there.

Malzahn made the title game in year 1 after a terrible year last year. He's done a phenomenal job. But if he drops to 7 wins next year, suddenly people won't think he's as good. They'll come back down to earth. He's a very good coach, but I don't see him as one of the top few coaches in the country.

preachermatt83
01-04-2014, 02:45 PM

Nailed it**

Goat Holder
01-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Well obviously you can't suck at recrootin and still be successful. But funny enough all good coaches are good recruiters too, likely because they win and that attracts recruits. Point is, recrootin is much easier at Texas, and when you add good coaching....well. And Malzahn is a better coach than strong.

Malzahn would have everybody in the country wanting to play for him at Texas.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
01-04-2014, 03:22 PM

LOL

RougeDawg
01-04-2014, 10:34 PM
Maybe Japanese, but here's LSU Freek's take on Strong to Texas.

http://imageshack.com/a/img11/2139/xcsc.gif

Attachment-1.gif

chainedup_Dawg
01-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Whose fault is it that Louisville is so talented?

They both inherited equal dumpster fires.

If you want to split hairs, its really Miami's fault. After all, Teddy would've never been at UL if it weren't for their hire and UL would've been just another average team. I do think Strong is a good coach, I just don't think he is as good as Franklin.