PDA

View Full Version : Mullen on OOB just said

BeastMan
01-03-2014, 10:27 AM
De'Runnya will play basketball and if McKinney is a first round grade, he should go pro.

FlabLoser
01-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Awesome dead period avi.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Yup, I heard it as well.

He sounded pretty optimistic about McKinney though. Shame on the SEC media for not informing the masses of who McKinney is. He could be the most underrated star in the SEC.

smootness
01-03-2014, 10:51 AM
I want our coaches to push guys on to the next level if they're ready and are graded that well. It helps us all the way around. The more 1st round picks we get, the more perception of our program changes.

Once we get a QB drafted highly, for instance, our difficulty in attracting QBs is essentially over. It's an extremely powerful thing to be able to show a recruit that you took Recruit A, who had very few, if any, other offers and turned him into an NFL stud. It suddenly removes a huge barrier between us and the big boys.

spiritual_machine2005
01-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Of course loosing McKinney will hurt. He isn't someone that you can just replace. But our LB corp is pretty deep, and I think we will be ok there. And the benefits, as pointed out, will outweigh the cons of losing him. I will be proud of him, which ever way he chooses to go.

Bo Darville
01-03-2014, 11:09 AM
You need great players to win in this league. If you get great players, some will leave early. To compete with Bama/LSU/etc. you need Johnthan Banks, Fletcher Cox, Chris Jones, Gabe Jackson, Derek Sherrod, etc. When that happens, not all will stay for their senior year. It's part of the process.

I believe you can submit to the NFL for an evaluation of what scouts think about you and your draft slot. I think McKinney, Preston Smith, Kaleb Eulls, Matt Wells, and Blaine Clausell should submit to see what the NFL says about them. Only McKinney has a shot to leave early. The others would be doing it as a formality to see what the NFL evaluators think.

dawg21
01-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Who would replace McKinney in the middle? We have lots of smaller type LB, we need another big guy.

FISHDAWG
01-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Bennie or Ritchie Brown maybe ... I don't think they are the size of B-mack but both got some PT this year ... AJ Jefferson maybe ?

smootness
01-03-2014, 12:59 PM
It would be Richie Brown.

AJ Jefferson??

dogshiek
01-03-2014, 01:09 PM
I would love to see Mckinney stay another year to raise his draft stock. He should get a lot more recognition with the 2014 edition of the
dogs. 2014 is going to be a great year to be a dawg!

Covercorner2
01-03-2014, 01:18 PM
Dez Harris? At least down the road? Seems to be a lot of hype concerning him, and he is listed at 6'4 220. Also, like McKinney, he came in as a HS QB I believe.

NeshobaChuck
01-03-2014, 01:18 PM
I would love to see Mckinney stay another year to raise his draft stock. He should get a lot more recognition with the 2014 edition of the
dogs. 2014 is going to be a great year to be a dawg!

I agree 100%... I mean you cant replace him with just anybody and if people are wanting next season to be that special season for MSU then you want him back in Maroon and White uniform next season. He is a huge factor in our defense. We are losing Skinner due to Grad. and draft so we have to have him return next year and be a leader on our defense.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
01-03-2014, 01:22 PM
De'Runnya will play basketball and if McKinney is a first round grade, he should go pro.

This has probably already been mentioned, but McKinney was rated a 2 star by Scout in our 2011 class. Now look at him.

NeshobaChuck
01-03-2014, 01:28 PM
I talked to Kaleb Eulls last night. He came into place where I work at and i asked him about this situation and he told me he hasnt talked to him he left memphis soon as game was over and hasnt talked to him but said he hasnt heard that he was leaving for the draft with the team we will have next year why would he leave i wouldnt

msstate7
01-03-2014, 01:31 PM
I talked to Kaleb Eulls last night. He came into place where I work at and i asked him about this situation and he told me he hasnt talked to him he left memphis soon as game was over and hasnt talked to him but said he hasnt heard that he was leaving for the draft with the team we will have next year why would he leave i wouldnt

Well if he's projected as 1st rounder, I can give you a few million reasons.

NeshobaChuck
01-03-2014, 01:37 PM
True but why go late 1st early 2nd when you can come back rise your draft stock and go top 5 top 10

NeshobaChuck
01-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Just like Brotles from UCF wouldnt shock me one bit if he returns for senior season that team only has 8 seniors and could play for NC next year

smootness
01-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Well if he's projected as 1st rounder, I can give you a few million reasons.

Definitely this, but there's something to be said for continuing to work on your game and ensuring yourself the best chance to succeed going forward as well.

It would be extremely tough to turn down the money, and he might feel he's ready now (this is obviously all hypothetical in the instance he had a 1st-round grade, and we don't know that, he probably doesn't); but I think it might be best for him to come back for one more year anyway.

smootness
01-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Just like Brotles from UCF wouldnt shock me one bit if he returns for senior season that team only has 8 seniors and could play for NC next year

Wait, I dont....wha......but......huh?

DawgInMemphis
01-03-2014, 01:58 PM
True but why go late 1st early 2nd when you can come back rise your draft stock and go top 5 top 10

Because it's not guaranteed, there's the risk of injury, and for another entire year's pay. If he's first, early second - he should go without a doubt.

Tbonewannabe
01-03-2014, 02:02 PM
Brotles is going top 5-10 picks. He isn't coming back.

FISHDAWG
01-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Jefferson is listed as a DL but I could swear he played some LB this year

smootness
01-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Jefferson is listed as a DL but I could swear he played some LB this year

We may have stood him up some and dropped him back in coverage on some plays, but he's a DE all the way.

FISHDAWG
01-03-2014, 02:09 PM
We may have stood him up some and dropped him back in coverage on some plays, but he's a DE all the way.

annddd ... he's a redshirt freshman this year .... I'm lovin this youth thing ... good days ahead

Coach34
01-03-2014, 02:11 PM
If he gets a 2nd-3rd round grade he needs to return...if he gets a late 1st-early 2nd he needs to move on. He will certainly improve his stock at the combine. His measureables are off the charts- but he still has some learning to do at LB.

defiantdog
01-03-2014, 02:20 PM
I see BMac returning one more year. How does a 6'3" 210lb Qb in high school turn into a 6'5" 240lb monster in two years? The guy runs a solid 4.5 in the 40 and has vertical to the moon. I think he can only increase his draft stock by coming back for another year.... even though he has two more years of eligibility. I think knowing the potential of the team next year will encourage him to come back to see if they can make a run at something. But if he does leave.... we still have Wells, R. Brown, B. Brown, D. Harris, Arrington, Turtle Holmes, and Z. Jackson with the help of Gerri Green and Deshon Cooper to fill spots the following year.

defiantdog
01-03-2014, 02:21 PM
I don't think he'll be drafted as a LB in the pros. He's definitely a DE prospect with his height and speed.

Covercorner2
01-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Yea I see him as a Demarcus Ware, Von Miller, Terrell Suggs type of guy (maybe not as good as those guys, but that type of position). Crazy that he may could play 3 positions in the NFL (MLB, OLB, DE).

preachermatt83
01-03-2014, 02:36 PM
I agree 100%... I mean you cant replace him with just anybody and if people are wanting next season to be that special season for MSU then you want him back in Maroon and White uniform next season. He is a huge factor in our defense. We are losing Skinner due to Grad. and draft so we have to have him return next year and be a leader on our defense.

Glad you joined up Trent!!

Westdawg
01-03-2014, 03:01 PM
We are already beginning to see the NFL make changes regarding the type players they are wanting on defense. It was mentioned on here in a thread that Coach Belichick has been quoted as saying that the "hybrid" defensive player - one which is capable of fitting into multiple roles in order to defeat the spread offense - will become the most valued in the coming years.
McKinney fits this mold - actually most of our defensive players do. Two of our DTs - CJ & Adams - have the speed to play at DE as well. Several of our LBs and Safeties are interchangeable, and many of our corners have considerable length that usually is reserved for S and FS. our DEs have length and speed like most SLBs would in a pro 4-3 set.

defiantdog
01-03-2014, 03:09 PM
We are already beginning to see the NFL make changes regarding the type players they are wanting on defense. It was mentioned on here in a thread that Coach Belichick has been quoted as saying that the "hybrid" defensive player - one which is capable of fitting into multiple roles in order to defeat the spread offense - will become the most valued in the coming years.
McKinney fits this mold - actually most of our defensive players do. Two of our DTs - CJ & Adams - have the speed to play at DE as well. Several of our LBs and Safeties are interchangeable, and many of our corners have considerable length that usually is reserved for S and FS. our DEs have length and speed like most SLBs would in a pro 4-3 set.

Wells and Arrington are definite "hybrids" in our defense as they both have the speed to cover and the strength to stop the run

Bo Darville
01-03-2014, 04:21 PM

Yes, the spread uses the whole field and creates matchups. Also, uptempo offenses are stopping the defenses from substituting. Then you have players like Mike Evans at A&M, Jimmy Graham with the Saints, etc. that are tall like tight ends but play like wideouts. All of this puts a premium on players that can remain on the field through all 4 downs. You need defensive backs that can match up with bigs and smalls and play the run. You need linebackers that can cover , play the run, and rush the passer. Big, fast, athletic guys are where the game is going. You can put a big fat run-stopping noseguard out there on 1st down, and the uptempo offenses will not allow him to get off the field on the other downs until he falls down and fakes an injury.

The Croom Diaries
01-03-2014, 04:50 PM

I believe Benardrick has a baby so that may influence his decision if he's near a 1st or 2nd round pick.

bulldawg28
01-03-2014, 06:16 PM
He reminds scouts of KJ.

Goat Holder
01-03-2014, 06:21 PM
Of course loosing McKinney will hurt. He isn't someone that you can just replace. But our LB corp is pretty deep, and I think we will be ok there. And the benefits, as pointed out, will outweigh the cons of losing him. I will be proud of him, which ever way he chooses to go.

I agree with everything except the bold. I see it the other way. I'd MUCH rather have the player on the roster, but it's a nice consolation if he does go pro. I bet we'd have beaten Northwestern and maybe even Ole Miss or LSU had Fletcher Cox come back in 2012.

Dawg61
01-03-2014, 09:38 PM
I'm just not seeing it this early with McKinney. He's talented and maybe the NFL will start drafting off potential like the NBA does but CJ Moseley is only 3 spots ahead of McKinney on the crap mock draft and Gabe Jackson is in the third round. I would think the NFL would want to see McKinney play a little DE first before they take him that high. He's coming back fellas.