PDA

View Full Version : A fear that crept into my head yesterday

starkvegasdawg
01-02-2014, 05:24 PM
If Dak has a season like we hope he has next year, what are the odds he declares early for the draft? I know we will have some very talented backups on roster but think they would all immensely benefit from Dak being here another two years.

msstate7
01-02-2014, 05:29 PM
If dak has the type of year that enables him to leave early, I'll be fine with that. That would most likely be a huge year for us.

Coach34
01-02-2014, 05:29 PM
let's cross that bridge when we get there. He still has alot of work to do refining mechanics and learning to read coverages

Political Hack
01-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Dak is not an NFL type guy right now and it's not even close. He's a great college QB and good at what he does, but he's not going to excel in the NFL until he can be a pocket first QB.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2014, 05:31 PM
If Dak has a season like we hope he has next year, what are the odds he declares early for the draft? I know we will have some very talented backups on roster but think they would all immensely benefit from Dak being here another two years.

Don't let it be a fear. If Dak declares early, we will have had such a good year, that it could change the program

HoopsDawg
01-02-2014, 05:33 PM
damn dude, find something else to worry about.

Dak has a chance to be a great college QB. Not good, but great. I don't see him as an NFL prospect right now or even after a huge season next year.

sleepy dawg
01-02-2014, 05:35 PM

This is your fear? That is more a hope than a fear for me.

Raytoraid83
01-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Would love for that to be a problem because that would mean we finished one of top teams in SEC and dak was in major heisman debate.

smootness
01-02-2014, 06:04 PM

I don't mean to be a dick, but this is about as 'poor ol' State' a post as there's ever been.

We've never really had a QB who had any chance of being drafted (Russell is the first, but he's not getting drafted), and have had an overall horrible history of QB play, and having a QB drafted early into the NFL (meaning he would almost undoubtedly be a 1st-round pick) is your fear?

Todd4State
01-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Dak is not an NFL type guy right now and it's not even close. He's a great college QB and good at what he does, but he's not going to excel in the NFL until he can be a pocket first QB.

I think Dak will get there though. Him missing the off season this year due to a foot injury set him back. Dak was very elusive in the pocket against Rice and made some really impressive throws. I hate to bash Perkins, but having Robinson and Shumpert back there running the ball is going to make him that much more dangerous as a passer and our offense a lot better. Plus, Bear and Jameon are probably going to be even better next year. I wouldn't be surprised if Fred Brown breaks out next year either- and then there's Malcolm.

Goat Holder
01-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Great way of putting it.

Raytoraid83
01-02-2014, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Fred Brown breaks out next year either- and then there's Malcolm.

If we want that magical season next year we need one more receiver besides Jameon to step us as a big time threat. Whether it's Bear, Fred Brown or Ross someone's got to take that next step next year.

starkvegasdawg
01-02-2014, 06:34 PM
I don't mean to be a dick, but this is about as 'poor ol' State' a post as there's ever been.

We've never really had a QB who had any chance of being drafted (Russell is the first, but he's not getting drafted), and have had an overall horrible history of QB play, and having a QB drafted early into the NFL (meaning he would almost undoubtedly be a 1st-round pick) is your fear?

Ok. Maybe fear was a bad choice of words. It's just for the first time in my lifetime I see MSU literally on the edge of legitimately turning the corner. We are returning to the suffocating defenses of the joe lee Dunn era and at the same time are on the verge of having an offense to match. I'm just wanting to ride this train as long as possible. Now, those of you that said if he does have the kind of monster season that would propel him to the draft early would mean we had a dream season - you are right and I would take it in a minute. I was only looking at it from the perspective that for us to have sustained and long term elite QB play it would be better for us if he were here two more years to give the other guys as much time as possible to develop. If he were to leave after next season then I think we see a drop off in production from QB for at least the following season.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2014, 06:37 PM
If we want that magical season next year we need one more receiver besides Jameon to step us as a big time threat. Whether it's Bear, Fred Brown or Ross someone's got to take that next step next year.

I think Dak having a full summer to work with Bear, Ross, Rojo, Graham, and Brown should do the trick.

What our receivers need to learn is to not give up on routes or the play. With Daks elusiveness and ability to extend plays, our receivers must continue to work after their initial route is covered.

esplanade91
01-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Dak = Kaep. They remind me a lot of each other. Kaep was a 2nd round pick after his senior year though. I mean, Blake Bortles is the #2 rated prospect right now as a junior so I won't say that it can't happen, but he'll be a 4 year guy. Absolutely scary to think that he's only a sophomore.

smootness
01-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Ok. Maybe fear was a bad choice of words. It's just for the first time in my lifetime I see MSU literally on the edge of legitimately turning the corner. We are returning to the suffocating defenses of the joe lee Dunn era and at the same time are on the verge of having an offense to match. I'm just wanting to ride this train as long as possible. Now, those of you that said if he does have the kind of monster season that would propel him to the draft early would mean we had a dream season - you are right and I would take it in a minute. I was only looking at it from the perspective that for us to have sustained and long term elite QB play it would be better for us if he were here two more years to give the other guys as much time as possible to develop. If he were to leave after next season then I think we see a drop off in production from QB for at least the following season.

I get what you're saying, but what we have to realize is that the coach who has put us in this position is still here, and he is the one who has developed the QB. We also have to remember he's the same coach who won 9 games in the SEC with Chris Relf at QB. So as long as we have a guy who fits what Mullen wants to do, I won't worry about tanking at that position. It's crazy considering our history there, but it looks like we may be very stable at QB for the foreseeable future.

And while Collins will eventually leave, Mullen knows what he wants at DC. He doesn't always hit, but he's quick to make a move there if it doesn't work. We will always have good defenses fairly often, and now it looks like we're getting to where Mullen wants us to be on offense.

So while I love Dak and think he will end as easily the greatest QB in our history, I don't worry that Mullen won't have the answer lined up whenever it is Dak leaves.

I mean, Dak is 6'2", 230. Staley is already about 6'7", 240 and Fitzgerald about 6'5", 220. It remains to be seen if they have everything Dak has, but we have made a change at QB and it doesn't look like we're ever going back.