PDA

View Full Version : Preston Smith or Chris Jones??

dogshiek
01-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Who improved more this season?? Preston became our rock on the DL. Chris has unlimited raw talent.

smootness
01-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Tough to tell because it's tougher to know exactly where Chris Jones was to begin the season. I think Preston Smith improved quite a bit over last year and has the chance to be a legitimate All-SEC guy next year. Chris Jones is a bonafide stud and if he takes any kind of noticeable step forward next year will be an absolute terror.

The thought of Preston Smith, Chris Jones, and a motivated Nick James on the same DL should be frightening for opposing OLs. Throw in PJ Jones, Kaleb Eulls (thought he showed a ton of improvement this year when at DT), AJ Jefferson, Ryan Brown, and Nelson Adams, and it could be the best unit in the league, and I don't think I'm being a homer by saying that.

BeastMan
01-02-2014, 04:23 PM
The thought of Preston Smith, Chris Jones, and a motivated Nick James on the same DL should be frightening for opposing OLs. Throw in PJ Jones, Kaleb Eulls (thought he showed a ton of improvement this year when at DT), AJ Jefferson, Ryan Brown, and Nelson Adams, and it could be the best unit in the league, and I don't think I'm being a homer by saying that.

I agree that our DL will be sick next year. Tons of experience and depth. At DE: Smith, Brown, and Jefferson showed me more play-maker ability than Autry. Still think Torrey Dale has crazy upside. AT DT: Chris Jones, PJ, Eulls, James, and Adams will be stout as hell.

Our DL in 2013 got progressively better all season and I think it will be much better in 2014. All in all, our front 7 has a chance to be really special. Our whole defense really

preachermatt83
01-02-2014, 04:34 PM
No Doubt . I can't find one GOOD reason why our defense will not be top 3 in SEC in 2014.

Grading as Elite, Above Avg, Avg, and below avg
1) Elite D-Line
2) Elite- LB
3) Above Average Corners
4) Average Safeties
5) Above Average D-Coord

smootness
01-02-2014, 04:36 PM
David Turner deserves a ton of credit.

I don't think the departure of Chris Wilson has been talked about enough as it relates to Quay Evans and his seeming attitude issues, as Wilson is essentially the sole reason Quay came to State, but our DL as a whole was infinitely more effective this year than last.

BeastMan
01-02-2014, 05:10 PM
David Turner deserves a ton of credit.

I don't think the departure of Chris Wilson has been talked about enough as it relates to Quay Evans and his seeming attitude issues, as Wilson is essentially the sole reason Quay came to State, but our DL as a whole was infinitely more effective this year than last.

I'll agree with that too. Guys like Eulls never did anything under Wilson and he was playing the best ball of his career by seasons end. Adams looked good in as well. He was widely considered a project when he signed and he was getting good reps as a freshman. I'll admit that I've given Turner hell about not being a "players coach" but from a technical teaching aspect, he definitely deserves some praise for the way the DL came along this year. We saw a lot of improvement.

War Machine Dawg
01-02-2014, 07:47 PM
I'll agree with that too. Guys like Eulls never did anything under Wilson and he was playing the best ball of his career by seasons end. Adams looked good in as well. He was widely considered a project when he signed and he was getting good reps as a freshman. I'll admit that I've given Turner hell about not being a "players coach" but from a technical teaching aspect, he definitely deserves some praise for the way the DL came along this year. We saw a lot of improvement.

Not every coach on staff needs to be a "players coach." You need a good mix between "players coaches" and ass kickers. But the improvement of the DL this season is definitely a result of Turner. I was thrilled when we brought him back after canning Wilson.

Homedawg
01-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Turner is a players coach compared to Wilson. Hell Wilson makes Hevesy look like a baptist preacher.

Harrydawg
01-02-2014, 10:40 PM
Chris Wilson is an idiot whose favorite person is himself......see UGA.

DCdawg
01-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Did anyone see the starting lineup intro at the Liberty Bowl? If I'm not mistaken, Kaleb Eulls was listed as a senior on the screen. Idk if it was a mistake, or I read it wrong, or he is graduating early and getting a master's.