PDA

View Full Version : Let's play "Happy/Content/Disappointed" for 2014.

Lloyd Christmas
01-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Including the bowl game, what record would you be Happy, Content, and Disappointed with for the 2014 football season?

Mine are:

10-3 Happy
9-4 Content
8-5 Disappointed

bulldogsmsu
01-02-2014, 03:11 PM
10-3 or 11-2 Happy
8-5 or 9-4 Content
7-6 Disappointed

Including the bowl game, what record would you be Happy, Content, and Disappointed with for the 2014 football season?

Mine are:

10-3 Happy
9-4 Content
8-5 Disappointed

drunkernhelldawg
01-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Happy: Ending the season by playing at the elite level of which we have been capable since the start of the season.

Content: Our coaching is moving in the right direction and building a team that can compete at every position.

Disappointed: Obvious dropping several winable games, but there's also the continuing Special Teams Debacle.

Political Hack
01-02-2014, 03:15 PM
7 or below will be a disappointing season given the schedule and what we have coming back.

I dont think any State fan should ever be disappointed with 8 or more wins in a season though. We should expect more but also remember where we've come from. Being discontent with a single season loses site of the programs direction.

preachermatt83
01-02-2014, 03:15 PM
mine looks about like yours does.

Happy- Win 4 non-conf games, win UK, Vandy, aTm, and OM, one upset against LSU, Aub, or Bama , and bowl win.

content- win 4 non-conf, win uk, vandy, and OM, one win against LSU, aTm, Aub, or Bama, and bowl win.

anything less- Disappointed

CadaverDawg
01-02-2014, 03:16 PM
I will be thrilled with 10 wins+
I will be happy with 9 wins
I will be content with 8 wins
I will be disappointed with 7 or less

If we can't win more games with next year's schedule and returning talent than we did this year, it is a disappointment. But at the same time, we still won't be as talented and deep across the board as LSU, Bama, Auburn, and maybe A&M...so we could lose 4-5 games and still have a great year.

And you never know if there will be an Auburn of 2013 that comes from nowhere, so it's hard to predict a win total. I plan on being in every single game home or away next season though. And I don't think that should be a stretch

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
01-02-2014, 04:05 PM
I see 6 games we should be favored (some heavily) in (4 OOC, KY, AR), 3 games we'll be an underdog in (Bama, Auburn, LSU), 3 that we'll be a toss-up or slight favorite (A&M, Vandy, OM).
So:
10+ wins - ecstatic - happy doesn't describe how seeing us with double digit wins and a potential top 10 or 15 ranking would make me feel.
9 wins - happy - we would have at least 4 SEC wins and/or a bowl win. With the strong West opponents plus an improved Kentucky on the road and a good Vandy, I'd be pretty happy.
7-8 wins - content/slightly disappointed, if the 4-5 losses were respectable.
6 wins - disappointed, but glad to at least keep the bowl streak alive.
5 or less - fire back up the Hud threads.

smootness
01-02-2014, 04:14 PM
I don't care a ton about bowl wins in terms of evaluating a season.

Anything less than 7 wins - unacceptable
7-5 w/ Egg Bowl loss - very disappointed, borderline unacceptable
7-5 w/ Egg Bowl win - disappointed, but acceptable
8-4 - I'll take it and be reasonably happy
9-3 - pumped
10-2 or better - Mullen is the freaking man

theloungeinleft
01-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Anything below 8 regular season wins will be disappointing, IMO.

sleepy dawg
01-02-2014, 04:27 PM
10-3 Happy
9-4 Content
8-5 Disappointed

7-6 disappointed
8-5 low content
9-4 high content
10-3 happy

Edited to add that I have never had this high of expectations. My expectations are usually much lower than the average. I expected 6 or 7 regular season wins this year. The schedule's right, and we've had plenty of time to get the right players in. It's now or never to take that next step. That being said, I expect us to do worse the following year.

preachermatt83
01-02-2014, 04:45 PM
I don't care a ton about bowl wins in terms of evaluating a season.

7-5 w/ Egg Bowl win - disappointed, but acceptable

so basically about the same as this season with very little improvement is acceptable?

smootness
01-02-2014, 04:53 PM
so basically about the same as this season with very little improvement is acceptable?

When I say 'acceptable', I don't mean, 'Everything is good, no issues'. When I say 'unacceptable,' I mean that the option would be there to part ways with the coach - so 'acceptable' in this sense basically means that I would say Mullen probably keeps his job.

I also said 'disappointed', so I'm not sure why you think that I'd have no issue if we had essentially the same year again.

drunkernhelldawg
01-02-2014, 04:54 PM
I want to play for the SEC Championship. It is our Dak year. Gotta have at least 10 wins. This less talent than Bama et al line is beyond its usefulness. If this is not our time, then our time may never come.

blacklistedbully
01-02-2014, 04:55 PM
10-2 regular season happy
9-3 with bowl win to get to 10-3 pretty happy
9-3 with bowl loss content
8 wins regular season disappointed
7 or fewer wins and I'm begging for Hud.

11 wins, SEC Championship and/or spot in playoffs and I'll be ready to erect a statue of Dan at the entrance to our stadium.

Goat Holder
01-02-2014, 04:55 PM
9 wins or better - happy
7-8 wins - content
6 wins or fewer - disappointed

All those numbers are regular season only.

smootness
01-02-2014, 04:56 PM
I want to play for the SEC Championship. It is our Dak year. Gotta have at least 10 wins. This less talent than Bama et al line is beyond its usefulness. If this is not our time, then our time may never come.

I think everyone agrees with you, but as a State fan, you can't say, we either play for the SEC title or it's a disappointment. If you begin looking at it that way, you're going to have a rough time as a fan.

The 'less talent than Bama' line may not be useful (I'm not sure what that means), but it's still true and probably always will be.

drunkernhelldawg
01-02-2014, 05:03 PM
I think everyone agrees with you, but as a State fan, you can't say, we either play for the SEC title or it's a disappointment. If you begin looking at it that way, you're going to have a rough time as a fan.

The 'less talent than Bama' line may not be useful (I'm not sure what that means), but it's still true and probably always will be.

Football is a game in which the team with less talent can and should sometimes win. It's past time for us to get some of those. In addition, we are closer to those teams in talent than we have been. Mullen has done a good jobb of building position by position. Everybody knows that we had the team that is playing for the big prize beat this past season. We are hitting a higher level of focus. Next season is one of our better opportunities. That's why we need to seize the moment and not be content if if passes.

sleepy dawg
01-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Football is a game in which the team with less talent can and should sometimes win. It's past time for us to get some of those. In addition, we are closer to those teams in talent than we have been. Mullen has done a good jobb of building position by position. Everybody knows that we had the team that is playing for the big prize beat this past season. We are hitting a higher level of focus. Next season is one of our better opportunities. That's why we need to seize the moment and not be content if if passes.

You can flip a coin 50 times, and it may land on tails 50 in a row. The odds of this are highly unlikely. However, on the 51st flip, there's still a 50% chance it lands on tails again.
The point being is we're not due to anything just because we haven't had a big upset in a long time. If we upset someone 2014, we'll be just as likely to upset someone (or not upset them) in 2015 as we are in any other year, assuming all other things constant.

gravedigger
01-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Be in the hunt for the west on thanksgiving......ecstatic

8-9 wins....happy

Less than than 8 wins, meh.

Not counting a bowl.

drunkernhelldawg
01-02-2014, 05:56 PM
You can flip a coin 50 times, and it may land on tails 50 in a row. The odds of this are highly unlikely. However, on the 51st flip, there's still a 50% chance it lands on tails again.
The point being is we're not due to anything just because we haven't had a big upset in a long time. If we upset someone 2014, we'll be just as likely to upset someone (or not upset them) in 2015 as we are in any other year, assuming all other things constant.

I'd rather compare it to a game of skill, like pitching pennies. We need to do a better job of pitching our penny.

smootness
01-02-2014, 06:01 PM
Football is a game in which the team with less talent can and should sometimes win. It's past time for us to get some of those. In addition, we are closer to those teams in talent than we have been. Mullen has done a good jobb of building position by position. Everybody knows that we had the team that is playing for the big prize beat this past season. We are hitting a higher level of focus. Next season is one of our better opportunities. That's why we need to seize the moment

I guess I misunderstood exactly what you were saying because I agree with all of this. We certainly can beat Alabama; that said, they still do have more talent than us. It isn't an excuse, it's just a fact. But we are improving and putting ourself in better and better position to take a run at the big boys.

and not be content if if passes.

But I'm not sure how you define 'content'. Are you saying we should be upset or consider it unacceptable if we don't win the SEC title next year? Because that would be crazy.

Or do you mean we should keep striving to do it and not just accept 'who we are'? Because I would agree with that.

Coach34
01-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Anything below 8 regular season wins will be disappointing, IMO.

This is me

There's alot of shit that can go on during a season, but outside of losing Prescott for year in Game 2 or 3- we better win at least 8

esplanade91
01-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Happy - any bowl better than Gator
Content - Gator
Disappointed - any bowl worse than Gator

Will James
01-02-2014, 08:48 PM
I want to say "We did everything we could to maximize out chances to win" after every game.

drunkernhelldawg
01-02-2014, 11:10 PM
I guess I misunderstood exactly what you were saying because I agree with all of this. We certainly can beat Alabama; that said, they still do have more talent than us. It isn't an excuse, it's just a fact. But we are improving and putting ourself in better and better position to take a run at the big boys.

But I'm not sure how you define 'content'. Are you saying we should be upset or consider it unacceptable if we don't win the SEC title next year? Because that would be crazy.

Or do you mean we should keep striving to do it and not just accept 'who we are'? Because I would agree with that.

I imagine I'll be fine with Mullen if we don't reach the stars. I'm really pretty happy with what he's been doing. It's up to him to keep his passion for coaching our team up, but as long he does so, I'm liking what I see. I'm just saying it'll be ho-hum to me if we're not at least competing for Nashville in late November. We've been to Peach, Cotton, Gator. Even played for the SEC Championship. I feel this team has one of our best combination of elements ever, and we need to make it pay if we can.

theloungeinleft
01-02-2014, 11:22 PM
The inability to make field goals in time of need will also be a huge disappointment.

hailmari
01-02-2014, 11:53 PM
10-3 Crazy pumped
9-4 Happy
8-5 okay
less than 8 is a big F-bomb

I'm more confident about the LSU game than I am Kentucky.. I don't what they lose this offseason, but they hung with us in Stark this year and are crootin' decently well. They'll need it big time. Ark will be solid and scrappy next year, but I think we take them. I'm confident in our defense against OM. No Johnny at A&M = win for us (and I'd like our chances with him too). Auburn returns a lot. We'll have to see on Bama, they lose a lot but they're Bama.

Dawg Tired
01-03-2014, 09:01 AM
I've often thought talent level (recruiting) was 90% of the game. The remainder could be split between home field advantage, key matchups, coaching, and luck. After watching Mizzou all season, UCF against Baylor, and OU last night, I will have to rethink that 90%. Team chemistry plays a huge role.
With that said, I feel like next year's team may be able to go on an incredible run. I feel like we can win some of those unlikely games. I feel like this team can gel around Dak and BMac and build some momentum to have a very special season in 2014. Like always, can't wait for next season.

Happy- 11-2
Content- 10-3, 9-4
Dissappointed- 8-5

DawgHouseUnited
01-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Regular season numbers (barring injury, etc):

Happy: 9+ wins
Content: 7-8 wins
Discontent: 7 wins + Egg Bowl loss
Disappointed: 6 wins even with an EB victory

I would like to think that, given the trajectory of the program in the last few years, we should consider 6 wins something of a floor. We've been building and improving continually, so anything less than 6 should be cause for some kind of shake-up.

blacklistedbully
01-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Regular season numbers (barring injury, etc):

Happy: 9+ wins
Content: 7-8 wins
Discontent: 7 wins + Egg Bowl loss
Disappointed: 6 wins even with an EB victory

I would like to think that, given the trajectory of the program in the last few years, we should consider 6 wins something of a floor. We've been building and improving continually, so anything less than 6 should be cause for some kind of shake-up.

Barring injury, if we finish with 6 wins, I'll be disgusted and 100% off the Mullen bandwagon. There is NO WAY, if healthy, that we should do that badly. We play:

Southern Miss
UAB
South Alabama
UT-Martin

to go along with:
UK
Vandy
Still rebuilding Arky
TAMU w/o JFF & Evans

Assuming we win all 4 cupcakes, how could we possible stomach a 2-6 SEC record?

DawgHouseUnited
01-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Barring injury, if we finish with 6 wins, I'll be disgusted and 100% off the Mullen bandwagon. There is NO WAY, if healthy, that we should do that badly. We play:

Southern Miss
UAB
South Alabama
UT-Martin

to go along with:
UK
Vandy
Still rebuilding Arky
TAMU w/o JFF & Evans

Assuming we win all 4 cupcakes, how could we possible stomach a 2-6 SEC record?

As I said, I would be disappointed with just 6 wins. Going forward, I expect a minimum of 6 wins year-in, year-out because of the way the program has been improving.

TrueMaroon
01-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Happy - any bowl better than Gator
Content - Gator
Disappointed - any bowl worse than Gator

This is my opinion well