PDA

View Full Version : Throw Graveman tonight

PMDawg
04-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Saturday looks like a washout, and we are not beating Beede anyway. Graveman can get us a win tonight over their Friday starter. Then, throw pollo Saturday, if there is a game (unlikely) and platoon Lindgren and R. Mitchell on Sunday. I like our odds against their Sunday starter in that situation. I think this gives us a great chance to come out of Nashville 2-0 or at least 1-1 if they push Beede back to Sunday.

CadaverDawg
04-26-2013, 08:15 AM
Saturday looks like a washout, and we are not beating Beede anyway. Graveman can get us a win tonight over their Friday starter. Then, throw pollo Saturday, if there is a game (unlikely) and platoon Lindgren and R. Mitchell on Sunday. I like our odds against their Sunday starter in that situation. I think this gives us a great chance to come out of Nashville 2-0 or at least 1-1 if they push Beede back to Sunday.

Even if Saturday is rained out...we will still play 3 games. We'd have a Double header Sunday.

And I would love to have Lindgren and Graveman to pitch two 7 inning games.

I wouldn't change anything

Will James
04-26-2013, 08:15 AM
I think not getting swept would count as success this weekend. Hard to win 2. I'll see if Pollo can strike magic tonight and us steal a Beede win. If not, I feel confident in the other two matchups to produce one win.

I like the rotation as is.

biscuit
04-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Whatever we have to do to mot get swept is the key. If we can get tonights, those two 7 inning games we will probably play will give us a chance at the series. I hope Pollo and Graveman are on.

msstate7
04-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Whatever we have to do to mot get swept is the key. If we can get tonights, those two 7 inning games we will probably play will give us a chance at the series. I hope Pollo and Graveman are on.

I feel better against beede than ziomek. I feel we hit righties much better than lefties

PMDawg
04-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Sunday is 50% rain itself. No guarantee on getting two games in. Even tonight is iffy. I'm surprised they haven't moved it up. I think throwing Graveman vs Beede is a mistake. We won't beat Beede. Our best chance is to get his pitch count up so he comes out in the 6th inning or sooner and try to beat their bullpen. I guess if that happens, Graveman gives you the best chance to keep it close until we get into their pen, but I can already envision Beede mowing us down with double digit strike outs. I definitely don't like our chances at beating Beede in a 7 inning game. 10 starts, 10 wins. 1.51 ERA, 6.2 strikeouts per appearance. Going to be a tall task.

Coach34
04-26-2013, 08:54 AM
I feel better against beede than ziomek. I feel we hit righties much better than lefties

This for me as well

We aint beating Ziomek- I give us 50/50 on Beede

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-26-2013, 09:09 AM
completely disagree. Throw a lefty. It wouldnt hurt my feelings to see pollo for 2, mitchell for 5 and holder for 2. Get the damn win and let the rain do what it wants saturday and sunday.

PMDawg
04-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Y'all are crazy if you think we have a 50% chance to beat Beede. He's better this year than Stratton was for us last year. I don't care which hand you throw with. If you're dominant, you're dominant.

Drugdog
04-26-2013, 09:13 AM
I don't agree with this : we ain't beating ( fill in the blank). That's Polk attitude. Just like Boise wasn't beating Oklahoma or Louiville beating Florida or Utah beating Bama.
Lets grow a set of nuts.

msstate7
04-26-2013, 09:13 AM
Y'all are crazy if you think we have a 50% chance to beat Beede. He's better this year than Stratton was for us last year. I don't care which hand you throw with. If you're dominant, you're dominant.
Wahl was unbeaten until last night when he got beat by a team on a 7 game losing streak. These are still college pitchers.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-26-2013, 09:16 AM
technically, I dont think he got beat. When he left, it was 2-1. He should have gotten beat but they pulled him after the 7th up 1.

Spider-Man
04-26-2013, 09:16 AM
I know things change from year to year. But we pretty much have the same lineup that beat both Ziomeck and Beede last season.

msstate7
04-26-2013, 09:20 AM
technically, I dont think he got beat. When he left, it was 2-1. He should have gotten beat but they pulled him after the 7th up 1.
You're right he wasn't beaten but he was out pitched by kentucky's guy. If Kentucky gets 2 bunts down, he would've gotten a lose. I know that's ifs, but point is his team loss a game he started

Will James
04-26-2013, 09:20 AM
I know things change from year to year. But we pretty much have the same lineup that beat both Ziomeck and Beede last season.

Shiiiiiiiiit our lineup this year is twice what it was last year.

Coach34
04-26-2013, 09:21 AM

No pitcher goes undefeated.
We hit RH'ers well.
We have settled on a line-up for the most part and are healthy
We are a good baseball team and one of the SEC's best hitting teams
I dont see why we cant beat him...

Hell, we may not need more than 3 runs to do it

msstate7
04-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Shiiiiiiiiit our lineup this year is twice what it was last year.

And those 2 pitchers are probably twice as good. I like our chances this weekend th

PMDawg
04-26-2013, 09:24 AM
Ok. I see I'm on my own here. I give up. I guess when you are going up against two elite pitchers in a 3 man rotation, you just stick with what's been working and hope for the best. Whoever trots out there tonight is fine with me and I'll be pulling for the DD.

msstate7
04-26-2013, 09:27 AM
And those 2 pitchers are probably twice as good. I like our chances this weekend th
Though.

msstate7
04-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Ok. I see I'm on my own here. I give up. I guess when you are going up against two elite pitchers in a 3 man rotation, you just stick with what's been working and hope for the best. Whoever trots out there tonight is fine with me and I'll be pulling for the DD.

I'm not saying you're wrong. We very likely could lose to both of them. I'm not ready to just concede them though. We're a very good team also.

Coach34
04-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Georgia put 4 earned runs up on Beede last week

Coach34
04-26-2013, 09:31 AM
I'm not saying you're wrong. We very likely could lose to both of them. I'm not ready to just concede them though. We're a very good team also.

This- hell, I'm expecting to win 2/3 this weekend...I just dont see us beating the Lefty

Ghost of Hank Flick
04-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Even if Beede throws 9 scoreless we know Graveman is capable of doing the same thing so even if our offense can't beat him maybe our pitching can. The guy gave up 4 ER vs. Georgia last week in 7 innings. 4-14 Georgia. He's not unbeatable.

PMDawg
04-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Vandy is knocking the cover off the ball lately too. We are right next to each other in most categories. Very similar teams except: our team BA is deceptive - we have renfroe and Frazier killing it then everybody else is below average, vandy has 5 guys in the top 10 or so BA in the SEC. We strike out a lot more than them, their pitchers rack up strike outs. They steal A LOT. We don't put as much pressure as they do so how Ammo handles the pressure will go a long way in deciding who wins this series. This series, being away, bothers me. I don't think it's a good matchup. Their strengths play on our weaknesses. I think we are every bit as good as them, just in different ways. It will be a good series to see just how we fit into the national picture.

Will James
04-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Vandy is knocking the cover off the ball lately too. We are right next to each other in most categories. Very similar teams except: our team BA is deceptive - we have renfroe and Frazier killing it then everybody else is below average, vandy has 5 guys in the top 10 or so BA in the SEC. We strike out a lot more than them, their pitchers rack up strike outs. They steal A LOT. We don't put as much pressure as they do so how Ammo handles the pressure will go a long way in deciding who wins this series. This series, being away, bothers me. I don't think it's a good matchup. Their strengths play on our weaknesses. I think we are every bit as good as them, just in different ways. It will be a good series to see just how we fit into the national picture.

Thanks for reading :)

From 4/23

Some Vandy numbers...

Vanderbilt is 2nd only to LSU in getting leadoff runners on 1st base. IN SEC play, they have 67
Vanderbilt is 2nd only to US in % of innings scored in which the leadoff man gets on. They are 77%, we are 85%

So they are great at getting people on and then sending them across the plate.

They steal a TON of bases so Ammo better be sharp.

In SEC play they lead the league in AVG, SLG, OBP, R, H, and RBI, and BB.

This is a very very good team that we have to play on the road. ONE win would be ideal, anything more would be a damn fine accomplishment.

I don't like the matchup. I feel they play our game better and more consistently than we do. They are just more solid and well rounded, you wont see near as many boneheaded plays out of them.

slickdawg
04-26-2013, 10:21 AM
I don't know if we'll get one game in. From central Tennessee westward, there's gonna be a lot of rain. There's already rain on radar along/north of I-40 moving generally towards Nashville.

Homedawg
04-26-2013, 10:26 AM
I don't know if we'll get one game in. From central Tennessee westward, there's gonna be a lot of rain. There's already rain on radar along/north of I-40 moving generally towards Nashville.
Weather men are unreliable I know, but it's only 30% at 9pm. Now that I say that it will pour all night.

engie
04-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Guys, please realize that Vandy plays baseball on field turf that was installed this past September. Their playing surface is almost completely unaffected by rain -- thus why they've had zero rain outs on the year despite getting rain up there during a bunch of different games. If it's not lightening or raining extremely hard, we are playing...

The only dirt left on the whole thing is the pitcher's mound...

msstate7
04-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Guys, please realize that Vandy plays baseball on field turf that was installed this past September. Their playing surface is almost completely unaffected by rain -- thus why they've had zero rain outs on the year despite getting rain up there during a bunch of different games. If it's not lightening or raining extremely hard, we are playing...

The only dirt left on the whole thing is the pitcher's mound...
How are our infielders gonna handle this turf? Is it fast?

engie
04-26-2013, 12:14 PM
I think it plays almost just like real grass. No idea. Haven't heard any complaints thusfar, however...

Todd4State
04-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Well, FWIW we beat Zimoneck and we beat Beede last year in the SEC Tournament championship game. No reason for us to be intimidated by these nerds.