PDA

View Full Version : WTF? Dumb Fox Sports

BulldogBear
01-02-2014, 11:18 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/story/mississippi-state-qb-breaks-record-fans-break-rules-in-liberty-bowl-123113

Am I missing some information or did these folks not check their facts, instead just headnodding with the garbage spewed by the garbage broadcast crew during the game? Since when is this an SEC game? It is my understanding that the rules do not techinically apply to this game. That is unless the Liberty Bowl itself wanted us to use them. Still, who can fine us?

On this note, after what I witnessed at the Arkansas game, it is time for our powers that be to step up and lobby to allow cowbells in other SEC stadiums as long as the rules are observed.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2014, 11:24 AM
We may as well go ahead and resign ourselves to the fact that as we continue to win more and more, the cowbells will be taken away whether they are a problem or not.

It's going to be every coach and media member's excuse as to why we won. Wait till we beat Bama, LSU, or Auburn at home. The scapegoat will be cowbells and they'll be taken away.

Political Hack
01-02-2014, 11:27 AM
from my cold dead hands.

it's an SEC rule only.

TUSK
01-02-2014, 11:34 AM
This.

It is unfairly advantageous to use artificial noise at certain times in games, though.

CJDAWG85
01-02-2014, 11:38 AM
So the Liberty Bowl encourages the fans to bring cowbells, but then the media blasts us for it? Kinda seems hypocritical. Maybe they just felt bad because you couldn't hear Rice's band.

CJDAWG85
01-02-2014, 11:41 AM
It is unfairly advantageous to use artificial noise at certain times in games, though.

Are 50K fans with cowbells that much louder than 100+K fans screaming?

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2014, 11:44 AM

I hate when State fans make this argument. It's a dumb one. Those schools have earned those fans.

My argument is that the cowbells don't really make the stadium louder because the sound goes up and not down.

It's not an advantage

DawgInMemphis
01-02-2014, 11:46 AM

I would think so. Those 50k fans & cowbells are closer to the field than 100k fans in a larger stadium. I agree with an earlier poster - the more noise our team makes, the higher the chances are of the cowbells being banned again. At that point, I'll resort back to my "ergonomically designed" seat cusion - complete with cowbell shaped foam cutout.

DawgInMemphis
01-02-2014, 11:47 AM
I hate when State fans make this argument. It's a dumb one. Those schools have earned those fans.

My argument is that the cowbells don't really make the stadium louder because the sound goes up and not down.

It's not an advantage

It's a little more complicated than that.

engie
01-02-2014, 11:48 AM
I would think so. Those 50k fans & cowbells are closer to the field than 100k fans in a larger stadium. I agree with an earlier poster - the more noise our team makes, the higher the chances are of the cowbells being banned again. At that point, I'll resort back to my "ergonomically designed" seat cusion - complete with cowbell shaped foam cutout.

The cowbells are barely audible on field level. Trust me -- yelling is MUCH louder from down there.

archdog
01-02-2014, 11:50 AM
ITS ALSO UNFAIR that South Carolina plays that damn rooster call all the 17n time during the game.

Political Hack
01-02-2014, 11:51 AM
This is good PR... "Bowl fans raise too much hell as they whip the Conf USA Champs into submission."

Every bowl should be foaming at the mouth for us next year. "oh no, they're too loud and bring too many fans."

Thanks Fox.

engie
01-02-2014, 11:52 AM
It's a little more complicated than that.

No, it really isn't.

How about our dumb ass fans ring responsibly and yell when it's time to yell. It's amazing how much louder it gets on the field -- and the transition from bells to yells is cool as hell -- and actually makes the cowbell tradition MUCH cooler -- instead of just trying to annoy the world to death like a bunch of redneck retards ringing a bell nonstop all game that the players can't even hear.

maroonmania
01-02-2014, 11:53 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/story/mississippi-state-qb-breaks-record-fans-break-rules-in-liberty-bowl-123113

Am I missing some information or did these folks not check their facts, instead just headnodding with the garbage spewed by the garbage broadcast crew during the game? Since when is this an SEC game? It is my understanding that the rules do not techinically apply to this game. That is unless the Liberty Bowl itself wanted us to use them. Still, who can fine us?

On this note, after what I witnessed at the Arkansas game, it is time for our powers that be to step up and lobby to allow cowbells in other SEC stadiums as long as the rules are observed.

No, the SEC rules did not technically apply at the Liberty Bowl though the Liberty Bowl can set their own rules and had "requested" that MSU fans bring the bells but abide by the SEC "ring responsibly" rules. We certainly can't get fined by any activity at the Liberty Bowl but I knew the announcers were just stirring up shit by taking 5 minutes to carry on about us ringing bells and ringing whenever the hell we wanted. Just sort of served to throw the issue back up again and will help with those that DO want to ban them again in the SEC.

hells bells
01-02-2014, 12:12 PM
No, the SEC rules did not technically apply at the Liberty Bowl though the Liberty Bowl can set their own rules and had "requested" that MSU fans bring the bells but abide by the SEC "ring responsibly" rules. We certainly can't get fined by any activity at the Liberty Bowl but I knew the announcers were just stirring up shit by taking 5 minutes to carry on about us ringing bells and ringing whenever the hell we wanted. Just sort of served to throw the issue back up again and will help with those that DO want to ban them again in the SEC.

Replayed the end of the game. Camera pans the crowd and State fans are ringing during a Rice possesion. The announcer then states," Bulldog players are encouraging cowbells to be rung". Next the ass clown states that the Rice coach should complain to the official on the field, then Mike Slive needs to see this. So, should he also complain about Smurf Turk, Houndstooth makes me ill, Texas mascot, that damn bull gets loose he could kill people ect.

DownwardDawg
01-02-2014, 12:15 PM
This is good PR... "Bowl fans raise too much hell as they whip the Conf USA Champs into submission."

Every bowl should be foaming at the mouth for us next year. "oh no, they're too loud and bring too many fans."

Thanks Fox.

^^^This^^^
These articles are great PR!!!

FlabLoser
01-02-2014, 12:19 PM

It's not an advantage

That's not just an argument, its a fact. Stricklin hired sound engineers to prove this out and he presented that in his arguments which led to the lifting of the ban.

Pollodawg
01-02-2014, 12:30 PM
I'm going to ring mine any damn way. The only way I'll stop is if they start hurting the team over it,

mstatefan91
01-02-2014, 12:40 PM
If they ban them, I'll just start sneaking it in again.

Makes no real difference to me. I do try to abide by the SEC rules but not enough fans do so I don't see us having the bell "legal" much longer.

Hypnodawg
01-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Ring when you are supposed to ring it. It's not that damn hard. We seriously need to have a crowd education course. Hell, half our people yell/ring when its 3rd and 1 and we have the ball.

mstatefan91
01-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Ring when you are supposed to ring it. It's not that damn hard. We seriously need to have a crowd education course. Hell, half our people yell/ring when its 3rd and 1 and we have the ball.

They do this with the students before each season. They even had what was essentially cowbell practice in 2010 when we were racking up fines from each game. Students abide by it for a little while before reverting back to old ways.

The other fans though don't really seem to know the rules that well or just really don't care at all.

BulldogBear
01-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Actually at Scott Field the grandstands are rather distant from the field compared to the average stadium, even in the SEC. And until now has not been enclosed on either end. I do not believe for a nanosecond that 50K bells is louder than 100K voices.

The arguement that I make is that Tennessee pipes the crowd noise thru amped up speakers. Speakers are not human voices. They are absolutely artificial noisemakers.

So, like somebody else posted... this is NOT and NEVER was about cowbells. This is about losing to Mississippi State. Cowbell issues are nothing more than knocking all the chess pieces off the board with an armsweep when your opponent puts you in checkmate. That's all it is.

Complaint about cowbells = sore loser tantrum

My response to people has always been: "It sucks to play on the road doesn't it. Get over it."

I should note that I follow the rules on probably 49 of 50 plays and usually only to celebrate a big play. Sometimes I don't ring during other's possesion for entire games. During the Egg Bowl I only rang when Ole Miss had the ball during OT. But I don't feel "guilty" when I occasionally ring out of turn.

State82
01-02-2014, 01:47 PM
No, it really isn't.

How about our dumb ass fans ring responsibly and yell when it's time to yell. It's amazing how much louder it gets on the field -- and the transition from bells to yells is cool as hell -- and actually makes the cowbell tradition MUCH cooler -- instead of just trying to annoy the world to death like a bunch of redneck retards ringing a bell nonstop all game that the players can't even hear.

Hard to state it any better than this. Spot on. But there are idiots everywhere and the whole deal will probably be put to rest sooner than later. I just don't understand some of the fools' thinking on this issue. Wake up people. This is one of the coolest traditions in college sports and has become a primary symbol of MSU. If they are finally outlawed for good, the number of bells in the stadium will decrease dramatically and their use as a major symbol will decline also. Right now we have the best of both worlds. They can be taken to the stadium, we get positive attention and exposure as long as they are utilized properly but when "stupid is as stupid does" mentality takes over, the opposite takes place. Nice job morons.

Political Hack
01-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Arkansas 2010 was awesome because people followed the rule. rang during time outs and breaks in play and then it would go from ringing to yelling in an instant. was an awesome environment.

BogeyGolfer
01-02-2014, 02:03 PM
The cowbells are barely audible on field level. Trust me -- yelling is MUCH louder from down there.

I agree, Engie, I have a cowbell but it's been in the top off closet since I was about 10 years old. I hate having to sit by someone who rings their bell the whole 17ing game ... Ring it responsibly or leave the damn thing at home...I actually think people become lazy and chose to ring it instead of yelling.

Barking 13
01-02-2014, 03:04 PM
I agree, Engie, I have a cowbell but it's been in the top off closet since I was about 10 years old. I hate having to sit by someone who rings their bell the whole 17ing game ... Ring it responsibly or leave the damn thing at home...I actually think people become lazy and chose to ring it instead of yelling.

same here....