PDA

View Full Version : Since USM is up next...

BogeyGolfer
01-01-2014, 10:47 PM
Are they pretty much doomed from a football standpoint? With the way CFB is heading and all of the money pouring into the top conferences with TV deals etc... How do they stand a chance? I remember the days when they would play FSU, A&M etc... And win a few of those games... As it stands now, they might as well shut down the program, I don't see them getting back to where they were in the late 90's.

ckDOG
01-01-2014, 10:55 PM
I think it has less to do with the rich getting richer and more to do with the competition from lower levels. LaLa, La Monroe, and USA are fielding programs from the USM talent pool. Also, Mullen seems to favor MS and isn't scared to pull those "project players" that a USM needs to fall through the cracks to get their talent up.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2014, 10:56 PM
Yes, they are doomed. The consolidation of college football has happened in college football since the BCS started. It has and will continue to benifit MSU and OM greatly

Political Hack
01-01-2014, 10:58 PM
benefit MSU... Four and one.

Bothrops
01-01-2014, 11:11 PM
They are gonna have to come across some money and lots of it.

gravedigger
01-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Also, Mullen seems to favor MS and isn't scared to pull those "project players" that a USM needs to fall through the cracks to get their talent up.

Great observation. This is what usm relied upon all those years they beat us in the 80's and even after.

It won't happen due to more stringent application of grade requirements and progression to graduation rules as well with jc players.

Southern is just caught in the crossfire of big conferences and thinner talent pools. Recruiting has become more visible and the Sammie winders and Bret favres don't slip through like they once did.

dogshiek
01-02-2014, 02:13 PM
On Friday afternoons it sounds like a young war in Hattiesburg with all of the trunks slamming from students going home. Nobody goes to their games. We will own their stadium in a couple of years.

preachermatt83
01-02-2014, 05:25 PM
I think a lot of the problem is Fedora left absolutely nothing when he left. He may be the most overrated coach in the country.

Goat Holder
01-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Nobody ever really goes away, contrary to what people think, unless they just give up hope. I have no clue if USM has a pulse or not. I myself would like to see them relegated to UAB-type status where all their fans are joint MSU/Ole Miss fans. We need the sidewalk folks and we should welcome them.

But, I think they have too much invested in facilities and such to just fade away. I think they'll eventually a formidable bottom tier conference team, like a Troy. They'll have their following, but it won't be as big and loyal as before. But that's definitely better than being a team that could routinely beat national level teams.