PDA

View Full Version : Officiating at bowl

Longsufferingowl79
01-01-2014, 10:21 PM
Not that it made much difference given our play, but when was the last game y'all only had two penalties in a game?

TheRef
01-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Not that it made much difference given our play, but when was the last game y'all only had two penalties in a game?

Well there weren't many penalties called overall, so the ACC crew definitely called the game lightly and let things play out. But we usually have a fairly well disciplined team and don't get many penalties. I think it might have been one of our OOC games that we've had that few of penalties.

chainedup_Dawg
01-01-2014, 10:35 PM
You could even make a great argument that one of those should've never even been called

Bubb Rubb
01-02-2014, 09:05 AM

Your wideouts held like crazy. It was horrendous. I think officiating is one thing Owl fans shouldn't be complaining about.

The penalty on Calhoun for the hard tackle was ridiculous.

archdog
01-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Your wideouts held like crazy. It was horrendous. I think officiating is one thing Owl fans shouldn't be complaining about.

The penalty on Calhoun for the hard tackle was ridiculous.

Calhoun should have thrown a flag on the refs for not blowing the whistle fast enough. Also, their guy could have fallen down at any point during that tackle if he didn't want to get thrown down.

CJDAWG85
01-02-2014, 10:00 AM
We averaged 5 a game before the Liberty Bowl. We only had one penalty when we played Alabama.

Political Hack
01-02-2014, 10:08 AM
very few calls across the board, which obviously favors the more physical team. I think it helped that they could play hard nose football and not get sucked into a finesse quick hitter running game.

the penalty on Calhoun was horrible. That's the only bad call I saw. The only other thing I complained about was the time it took them to review an obvious catch by Rice. It was basically a three minute timeout to confirm an obvious catch. The replays are getting ridiculous. I think it's likely being done to get more commercials in...

Barking 13
01-02-2014, 10:11 AM
extrememly late whistles stood out to me.....

blacklistedbully
01-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Given how much our lines dominated yours physically, it's not as if one would expect to see "holding", "false starts" or "off sides" penalties on us. These penalties are less likely to occur for a team that has a distinct size & speed advantage. They just aren't needed. No need for an O-lineman to hold if he's not getting beat. No need to jump offsides defensively if your d-linemen don't feel the need to get that extra edge, as we might versus a team with similar or superior athletes.

On the other hand, one would expect to see more of these type penalties from the weaker team that is feeling the consistent pressure, etc. Of course, there are always exceptions, and there are teams that are more or less prone to penalty due to discipline, etc. Seems to me we had problems earlier in the season with "false starts", but that's the kind of thing that's easy to see, so I don't think it's a question of the officials looking the other way for us.

If anything, I'd say it favored y'all, though was fairly even. The one thing I saw us do that we didn't get called for was a block-in-the-back on one of our big pass plays to Lewis. It was a block well down the field, perhaps 10 yards before Lewis was actually brought down. Was totally unnecessary as your guy was already behind Lewis, but it could have and should have been called nonetheless.

But the way we were moving the ball at will, I can't imagine it would have made a difference anyway. We would just have had a 1st down at around your 30 or so, instead of your 10 (Approximating, as I don't recall the exact yard-line, but you get the idea).

mstatefan91
01-03-2014, 03:22 AM
That unnecessary roughness call on Calhoun was complete BS. He has the receiver halfway up before the first whistle is blown.

Brb flagged for tackling somebody who was trying to get more yardage.

dogshiek
01-03-2014, 03:44 AM
There was a generous no call on the Rice DB on the gadget play too.