PDA

View Full Version : Got some baseball stadium info at the game yesterday

Coach34
01-01-2014, 10:19 PM
From some upper level Dawgs:

1. Wanted me to know that Strick was making plans already to upgrade Dudy Noble before the Omaha run. Some things had already been set in motion. Really sang his praises on this project.

2. The Grandstand is going to be 1st class and will take 12-15 months to complete. Looks like a 2 stage process at this point.

3. LFL wants to be preserved at all cost- but it's a huge pain in the ass.

Nothing earth-shattering- but good to hear people so excited about the project.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2014, 10:54 PM
If the grandstand takes 12-15 months to complete, where do we play while it's under construction?

Coach34
01-01-2014, 10:58 PM
If the grandstand takes 12-15 months to complete, where do we play while it's under construction?

Stage 1 will get done before season starts and we will go with it as is. Then Stage 2 will be completed after the season

messageboardsuperhero
01-01-2014, 11:14 PM
Good to hear. Thanks for the update.

godlluB
01-01-2014, 11:27 PM
3. LFL wants to be preserved at all cost- but it's a huge pain in the ass.

I don't understand what you mean by this, care to explain?

Coach34
01-02-2014, 12:02 AM
I don't understand what you mean by this, care to explain?

Want to keep the atmosphere of LFL but the old trailers have to go. They are a million dollar lawsuit waiting to happen

Schultzy
01-02-2014, 12:09 AM
Want to keep the atmosphere of LFL but the old trailers have to go. They are a million dollar lawsuit waiting to happen

Yep.

messageboardsuperhero
01-02-2014, 12:28 AM

There are going to be some pretty pissed off people if they completely do away with the rigs.

My only question is how do they get rid of the rigs and retain the atmosphere without making it too stale? That's a really tough task... I'd hate for us to end up with something really lame and bland like Oaks Pavilion in Oxford. We have to maintain the unique character of our outfield- that's what has made it special.

If we HAD to totally get rid of the rigs, I'd suggest building a bunch of individual, unique structures in the outfield and rent them out- that way you make it safe while retaining some of the character of the lounge.

FlabLoser
01-02-2014, 12:34 AM
I'd get rid of the LFL as we know it by setting up open concourses with cooking areas and little bleacher sections. Like outdoor suites with cooking setups. There would be leases for each "suite", but not for stupid expensive money.

The main goal here would be modernize the LFL and make it safe, while keeping as much character as possible.

bully99
01-02-2014, 12:53 AM
Actually the leftfield lounge has always been changing in some fashion or another. When I was a student 30 to 35 years ago, you could drive your vehicle back there before each game.I did it many times especially during weekday games. In the late eighties Lar Templeton thought he had a cash cow and started renting space. That's when all the contraptions started appearing because people set up a permanent spot. Some of those things are a disaster waiting to happen.

RTO Dawg
01-02-2014, 07:00 AM
There are going to be some pretty pissed off people if they completely do away with the rigs.

My only question is how do they get rid of the rigs and retain the atmosphere without making it too stale? That's a really tough task... I'd hate for us to end up with something really lame and bland like Oaks Pavilion in Oxford. We have to maintain the unique character of our outfield- that's what has made it special.

If we HAD to totally get rid of the rigs, I'd suggest building a bunch of individual, unique structures in the outfield and rent them out- that way you make it safe while retaining some of the character of the lounge.Lease with the RIG owners .....

DawgInMemphis
01-02-2014, 09:46 AM
[/COLOR]Lease with the RIG owners .....

If the school was that worried about keeping the old rigs, they could hire a structural engineer to conduct a safety review of each one and submit a report to the owners about what would need to be addressed in order for them to be able to use it. There may be no hope for some of em though...

Political Hack
01-02-2014, 10:11 AM
it's not like we're an engineering school that could find a way to keep the originality of the rigs while ensuring safety.

Lloyd Christmas
01-02-2014, 10:12 AM
If we HAD to totally get rid of the rigs, I'd suggest building a bunch of individual, unique structures in the outfield and rent them out- that way you make it safe while retaining some of the character of the lounge.

This. We have to change how we do things out there to make it more safe. I work in commercial insurance and this isn't just a million dollar suit waiting to happen. It could be millions upon millions.

We need to be creative with this. Design a bunch of cool and DIFFERENT (this being key) looking structures to preserve the unique dynamic of LFL but make them safe. Then you can rent them out to people who already had spots and preserve the waiting list as well.

The Croom Diaries
01-02-2014, 10:15 AM
If the school was that worried about keeping the old rigs, they could hire a structural engineer to conduct a safety review of each one and submit a report to the owners about what would need to be addressed in order for them to be able to use it. There may be no hope for some of em though...

Structural engineers over-design everything and they would deem nearly all of the rigs unstable because they would be assuming liability if they failed. The only solution is to built permanent structures out there and people are just going to have to deal with it. There is too much liability out there for MSU. Just like everything else, lawyers will ruin it. That's today's America.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2014, 10:21 AM
I think they should develop 3-5 different rig models that the people in the left field lounge can choose from. That would help ensure that the left field lounge retained its character and job uniformity. I would also like to see two or three tiers to the LFL. That way the outfield would have a bowled in stadium look.

Drugdog
01-02-2014, 11:03 AM
^^^^excellent idea^^^^^

Coach34
01-02-2014, 11:08 AM
. The main goal here would be modernize the LFL and make it safe, while keeping as much character as possible.

And thus- there is the headache. I didnt get into it with them in depth, but certainly some old time looking contraptions can be built out there to give it the character it possesses.

Political Hack
01-02-2014, 11:11 AM
room is a major issue out there too. Safety is obviously #1, but having enough room for the "stuff" behind the LFL is also going to limit what can be done there. No way they can keep the road and have people pull in and out anymore. Next year may be the last real Dudy Gras.

MSUDawg4Life
01-02-2014, 11:28 AM
I'd get rid of the LFL as we know it by setting up open concourses with cooking areas and little bleacher sections. Like outdoor suites with cooking setups. There would be leases for each "suite", but not for stupid expensive money.

The main goal here would be modernize the LFL and make it safe, while keeping as much character as possible.

^^^This.

messageboardsuperhero
01-02-2014, 11:28 AM
room is a major issue out there too. Safety is obviously #1, but having enough room for the "stuff" behind the LFL is also going to limit what can be done there. No way they can keep the road and have people pull in and out anymore. Next year may be the last real Dudy Gras.

I can't see any way they'll keep that road- there will definitely be some logistical changes around the stadium.

blacklistedbully
01-02-2014, 12:19 PM
LFL was a legend well before the rigs came in, so I don't feel any strong desire to protect the rigs. When I was there in the early 80's, I recall it being free, first-come-first serve, mostly walk-ups and some cars, perhaps one or two small rigs. We partied, drank lots of beer, heckled the hell out of the opposing left-fielder and center-fielder, with some throwing beers on any fielder that dared to come near the fence.

I also recall that any opposing team's player who was good-natured about it would get offered free food and beer after the game, though not many did or were allowed to.

I wonder if we could do something like what they have in right-field at ATT Park in San Francisco, a space where people can walk up for free and watch the game. No seat or amenities provided, just the ability to walk up with your friends and watch the game from behind a fence. There's a structure there with alcoves to allow the walk-ups, and the top of the structure still provides some seating and walkways for paying customers in the stadium. That also give the stadium the "bowled in look" you'd expect.

Mjoelner34
01-02-2014, 01:08 PM

I've never understood how they are more of a liability than the thousands of tailgaters with alcohol and lit grills at every home football game and they're not about to outlaw tailgating. Is there a difference between a rig collapsing in the LFL and injuring several people and some drunk tripping over a tent line in the Junction and face planting into a grill and knocking it over onto bystanders?

If they get rid of the rigs in the outfield, it's because of one of these reasons: 1. Aesthetics. We can't be seen as having the Beverly Hillbillies in the outfield 2. Enough high-end donors are making noise about not having a spot out there and they want to 'redistribute' them.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Structural engineers over-design everything and they would deem nearly all of the rigs unstable because they would be assuming liability if they failed. The only solution is to built permanent structures out there and people are just going to have to deal with it. There is too much liability out there for MSU. Just like everything else, lawyers will ruin it. That's today's America.

The liability for MSU is dangerous if anything ever happened. Let one of those rigs collapse and kill some kids and see what kind of lawsuits come out. Even if you have someone inspect before the season, you don't know what kind of stresses with an abundance of people or weather affect it over the length of the season. Having people sign some kind of release wouldn't do anything since the rig would still be on MSU's property. MSU would just share liability then. I love the LFL, I got engaged in the lounge in Right Field but something has to be done.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2014, 01:13 PM
I've never understood how they are more of a liability than the thousands of tailgaters with alcohol and lit grills at every home football game and they're not about to outlaw tailgating. Is there a difference between a rig collapsing in the LFL and injuring several people and some drunk tripping over a tent line in the Junction and face planting into a grill and knocking it over onto bystanders?

If they get rid of the rigs in the outfield, it's because of one of these reasons: 1. Aesthetics. We can't be seen as having the Beverly Hillbillies in the outfield 2. Enough high-end donors are making noise about not having a spot out there and they want to 'redistribute' them.

3. They are terrified that a rig collapses and 5 kids happen to be playing by the rig. I am sure if a grill fell over and burned someone to death they would do something about grills.

maroonmania
01-02-2014, 01:30 PM
3. They are terrified that a rig collapses and 5 kids happen to be playing by the rig. I am sure if a grill fell over and burned someone to death they would do something about grills.

Yea, I would think MSU would be held more liable for a semi-permanent (4-5 months anyway) unsafe structure allowed to continue to sit at an on campus sports facility than for a random tailgater that shows up on Saturday, sets up his stuff, and then tears it back down and leaves later the same day or weekend.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Also, MSU doesn't allow propane grills. I would imagine it is due to insurance requirements.

messageboardsuperhero
01-02-2014, 03:14 PM
After reading a lot of these comments and concerns about liability issues, I'm starting to see why the school is uncomfortable with the rigs. It would costs millions of dollars in lawsuits if one collapsed, but even worse is that it will cost us more than that in the national perception- we would forever be the school that allowed unsafe trailers on our property that hurt or killed a child.

I'd be okay with the school getting rid of the rigs, as long as they replace them with something unique and cool.

The outfield atmosphere was great before the rigs- and (if done right) it can still be great after them too.

dawgs
01-02-2014, 03:47 PM

so if your kids or wife was sitting in a LFL (not yours, just some random one or a friend's LFL) and it collapsed and killed them, you wouldn't want any financial recourse? what if it collapsed and caused permanent injury, like paralysis, that would require millions to help live for the rest of their life on top of the initial medical bills? and it collapsed because msu allowed someone to bring a rotted out LFL structure with seats upwards of 20 feet in the air?

everyone hates a lawyer until they are the one in need of legal help.

dawgs
01-02-2014, 03:51 PM
that said, it would be awesome if they could somehow incorporate the old trucks and stuff into a safer more permanent structure. maybe buy them off the LFL owners or let them donate the trucks for incorporation into their new spot.

bulldogcountry1
01-02-2014, 04:09 PM

I think this is the most sensible option. Just do away with the rigs and build separate, individual bleacher structures that sit about 100 each. Leave space similar to what exists now for cooking and socializing, and allow for customization of the structures - flags, signs, etc. This would be safe, it would allow people to maintain their spaces, and it would preserve the spirt of the LFL.

Edited to add: I also like the idea of including the trucks somhow. Maybe they could build the strutures in such a way that people could back the old trucks (sans bed or seating) up to the back of the new bleachers and leave it there.

BrunswickDawg
01-02-2014, 04:14 PM
that said, it would be awesome if they could somehow incorporate the old trucks and stuff into a safer more permanent structure. maybe buy them off the LFL owners or let them donate the trucks for incorporation into their new spot.
With the way ballparks incorporate all kinds custom built things for advertising - like the robotic Chik-fi-la Cows, etc. it would be very easy to do something like this. A good exhibit design company working with the architects could solve this in about 30 minutes.

dawgoneyall
01-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Leave it to MSU to screw up something up that we have that no else has. Would not be surprised

smootness
01-02-2014, 04:33 PM
The outfield atmosphere was great before the rigs- and (if done right) it can still be great after them too.

This is what everyone needs to realize. The reason Ole Miss' is stale and ours never will be is because of the people that populate it. There is nothing about the rigs that makes the atmosphere great. It is the fans, and they aren't going anywhere. As long as you have space behind the outfield fence for fans to go, Mississippi State will have a bunch of fans back there and will make for a great atmosphere.

The Croom Diaries
01-02-2014, 04:34 PM
so if your kids or wife was sitting in a LFL (not yours, just some random one or a friend's LFL) and it collapsed and killed them, you wouldn't want any financial recourse? what if it collapsed and caused permanent injury, like paralysis, that would require millions to help live for the rest of their life on top of the initial medical bills? and it collapsed because msu allowed someone to bring a rotted out LFL structure with seats upwards of 20 feet in the air?

everyone hates a lawyer until they are the one in need of legal help.

If they died because of it I'm not entitled to any money. Yeah I would be pissed and demand they change it so it doesn't happen to anyone else, but I wouldn't deserve any money. The only way I would sue is if my kid was severely injured requiring a life-time of care then and I would need compensation for those bills I cannot afford. I'm not opposed to safety. My lawyer comment is more about doing things for the right, proactive reasons (safety) than the wrong, reactive reasons (afraid of being sued). Most safety laws, medical bills, you name it derives from some sort of fear of being sued.

smootness
01-02-2014, 04:42 PM
I'm not opposed to safety. My lawyer comment is more about doing things for the right, proactive reasons (safety) than the wrong, reactive reasons (afraid of being sued). Most safety laws, medical bills, you name it derives from some sort of fear of being sued.

This is accurate, but it doesn't mean we can avoid doing things out of fear of being sued. We should absolutely be concerned with safety for the sake of being concerned about safety, but the bottom line is that we must pay attention to where we are vulnerable to lawsuits because regardless of what you might do, almost everyone in that situation would demand money? Why? Because they can get it.

And once someone sues and wins, our university loses a ton of money. It is a very good idea to avoid that.

dawgs
01-02-2014, 05:17 PM
If they died because of it I'm not entitled to any money. Yeah I would be pissed and demand they change it so it doesn't happen to anyone else, but I wouldn't deserve any money. The only way I would sue is if my kid was severely injured requiring a life-time of care then and I would need compensation for those bills I cannot afford. I'm not opposed to safety. My lawyer comment is more about doing things for the right, proactive reasons (safety) than the wrong, reactive reasons (afraid of being sued). Most safety laws, medical bills, you name it derives from some sort of fear of being sued.

well the threat of the current LFL is (1) death, (2) serious injury, and (3) significant monetary damages due to negligence. you can't separate out the proactive from the reactive because they are intertwined.

as for whether you think you would deserve the money, the money is a punishment of the negligent party not a "reward" for the victim or victim's family. if you didn't want the money, then turn around and donate it to charity or use it to set up a scholarship or something. but the way to get the attention of a business/university/individual who is acting negligently (i.e. allowing unsafe semi permanent structures to be placed on your property for the intended purpose of watching a sporting event without structural oversight or limiting the access of the average ticket buyer form accessing the structure), you hit them where it counts, in the pocketbooks. a stern talking to won't get their attention. in the case of a big business or university, there's no personal connection there to haunt the negligent party. but $$ will get their attention and cause them to be safer in the future. that's got nothing to do with the damn lawyers, it's just human nature.