PDA

View Full Version : SEC Officials

DanDority
01-01-2014, 09:08 PM
It maybe me but I'm of the opinion that they are the worst in the country. They also are the only crew that has pimped out their uniforms.

maroonmania
01-01-2014, 09:42 PM
SEC officials = Worst good 'ol boy network in college football

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Brad Freeman on Fiesta Bowl crew

M.Fillmore
01-01-2014, 11:22 PM
I read an interview several years ago with the head of officials for a major conference. They asked him about the officials of various other conferences and he was very complimentary. When they asked him about the SEC officials, the guy said, "I'd rather not comment about the SEC officials."

smootness
01-01-2014, 11:26 PM
They're better than Pac-12 officials, that's for sure.

bluelightstar
01-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I agree with that. In fact, I think a lot of the SEC officials are pretty decent. Hubert Owens's crew is a good one.

gravedigger
01-01-2014, 11:46 PM
Sec refs are better than they used to be but not nearly good enough compared to the resources of their employer.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2014, 11:53 PM
I don't have a problem with SEC refs in general, but I don't think they handle replay very well. I am constantly amazed, especially during the Egg Bowl, at the lack of competence of knowing when to review a play. Very frustrating.

BulldogBear
01-02-2014, 06:48 AM
I don't have a problem with SEC refs in general, but I don't think they handle replay very well. I am constantly amazed, especially during the Egg Bowl, at the lack of competence of knowing when to review a play. Very frustrating.

Yep. Replay. I think the Tyson Lee "illegal" forward pass takes the cake to me.

By rule only the ball (BEFORE it starts forward) or any part of the player's body has to be behind the line of scrimmage. Not a stitch of his clothing nor even the ball upon release was passed the line of scrimmage. ???????

To this day I still say the replay guy was busy getting popcorn or getting his knob polished. Or both

sleepy dawg
01-02-2014, 11:19 AM
because they don't care. Other smaller conferences have started paying about the same as the SEC in an effort to get the "best" officials out there. There is a high level of politics in all conferences when it comes to officials, but some other conferences have tried to focus on getting the best, most talented officials, while the SEC tries to get the biggest names while keeping in line with their politics. If a ref has been to several BCS bowl games, that's who the SEC wants. It doesn't matter if that official isn't necessarily any good, or if they are now way past their prime. When a coach complains, the SEC supervisor of officials can just point to the refs resume and "well the guy you're complaining about has been to 15 straight bowl games and 4 bcs bowls, so I don't know who else you want".

DanDority
01-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Yep. Replay. I think the Tyson Lee "illegal" forward pass takes the cake to me.

By rule only the ball (BEFORE it starts forward) or any part of the player's body has to be behind the line of scrimmage. Not a stitch of his clothing nor even the ball upon release was passed the line of scrimmage. ???????

To this day I still say the replay guy was busy getting popcorn or getting his knob polished. Or both

Holy Shit, I remember that play like yesterday. In fact I think good ole boy Rocky Goode was running the replay that day, I could be wrong but I think that is correct.