PDA

View Full Version : George O'Leary on recruiting

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2014, 05:24 PM
This is what Ole Miss people don't get. This article illustrates why buying player and enticing them with parties and sexual favors does no good. OM recruits "me" players or turn "We" players into to "me" players by the way they are recruited.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=UCF-George-OLeary-A-lot-of-coaches-recruit-stars-and-get-fired-in-3-years

Bully13
01-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Plus many ones...great article

CadaverDawg
01-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Good find, Shotgun.

OM fans would laugh at it and shoot it down...but then they would see that we've beaten them in 4 of 5 and realize that ole George is right on the money

HoopsDawg
01-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Of course UCF's schedule is dog shit. Reminds me when everyone was touting Chris Peterson and all of his 2 and 3 stars.

hacker
01-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Of course UCF's schedule is dog shit. Reminds me when everyone was touting Chris Peterson and all of his 2 and 3 stars.

You really have no idea what you are ever talking about.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2014, 05:59 PM

Who said anything about UCF? This is just a very experienced coach giving his opinion.

HoopsDawg
01-01-2014, 06:02 PM
You really have no idea what you are ever talking about.

his recruiting strategy is great for where he is. That has to be his strategy b/c he isn't going to land any 4 and 5 stars. It's hard for me to dumb down my posts enough for you to understand, but I guess I need to elaborate more.

AROB44
01-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Well.....let's hope OM keeps their current policy. Will cause them more problems as time goes by. I agree with O'Leary (and Mullen's) policy. I am just not a "star" gazer. Give me more Gabe Jackson's, Dillon Days, BMacs, J. Banks, etc. We have had our share of 4-5 star busts (or didn't live up to the hype).

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2014, 06:15 PM
his recruiting strategy is great for where he is. That has to be his strategy b/c he isn't going to land any 4 and 5 stars. It's hard for me to dumb down my posts enough for you to understand, but I guess I need to elaborate more.

Are you a Bear?

Your problem is that you don't understand how this works.

You say Bama and LSU win just because of talent.

I say they win because they get very talented players that come in with the right mind set. Bama and LSU recruit well because kids want to compete for titles. Not because of parties, blow jobs, and recruiting fornication.

Players who go to Bama and LSU go there knowing they will have to earn everything and they will have to compete to play.

Your just to big of an idiot to realize this. I am all for recruiting guys that have tons of stars by their name, so long as they come to MSU for the right reasons. If you recruit star players at any cost, your cost will be a lack of wins and your coaches jobs.

Players go to LSU and Bama for the right reasons. That's why they win, and this is true in any sport at any level.

Goat Holder
01-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Isn't Ole Miss recrootin EXACTLY the right fits for their program? I mean they ARE all about the glamour and the 'I' crap. Star system suits them.

They only piss me off when they f*ck around and pay guys that prefer MSU then promptly ruin their careers. I mean, we all could be swayed by what they are doing, no matter how much guidance we get. Especially at 18.

HoopsDawg
01-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Are you a Bear?

Your problem is that you don't understand how this works.

You say Bama and LSU win just because of talent.

I say they win because they get very talented players that come in with the right mind set. Bama and LSU recruit well because kids want to compete for titles. Not because of parties, blow jobs, and recruiting fornication.

Players who go to Bama and LSU go there knowing they will have to earn everything and they will have to compete to play.

Your just to big of an idiot to realize this. I am all for recruiting guys that have tons of stars by their name, so long as they come to MSU for the right reasons. If you recruit star players at any cost, your cost will be a lack of wins and your coaches jobs.

Players go to LSU and Bama for the right reasons. That's why they win, and this is true in any sport at any level.

Holy shit, how did you extrapolate that from my post? Yes, I am a Bear. You got me dipshit. Bama just re-signed a guy who they previously kicked off their team for assault. Bunch of high character guy Bama and LSU target. Hell Mett was accused of rape at UGA, Les says sign his ass up. Bama and LSU win because they have better players than everyone else.

Let's not forget Saban lost to Croom.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2014, 06:26 PM
They only piss me off when they f*ck around and pay guys that prefer MSU then promptly ruin their careers. I mean, we all could be swayed by what they are doing, no matter how much guidance we get. Especially at 18.

This is the only part that bugs me as well.

Look no further than Koolio's winning the Heisman as a freshman comments to illustrate OM's problems.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Holy shit, how did you extrapolate that from my post? Yes, I am a Bear. You got me dipshit. Bama just re-signed a guy who they previously kicked off their team for assault. Bunch of high character guy Bama and LSU target. Hell Mett was accused of rape at UGA, Les says sign his ass up. Bama and LSU win because they have better players than everyone else.

Goodness you can't read either.

Nobody said anything about character. All the players you mentioned went to LSU and Bama because they wanted to compete for championships and under the assumption that nothing was going to be given to them.

Those players weren't recruited by social tactics. They went to those schools for football reasons only. OM doesn't recruit that way.

Bully13
01-01-2014, 06:40 PM

YOU are the dipshit, dipshit..posing as a dog while bearing other loyalties... go **** yourself to hell **********

bluelightstar
01-01-2014, 06:42 PM
You guys do not realize how GenesPage you sound when you accuse people of being closet Bears

hacker
01-01-2014, 06:44 PM

Ha, yes. Please dumb it down for me because obviously I am not intelligent enough to understand normal posts by the omniscient, peer-reviewed HoopsDawg.

You know, if you're the only person able to understand what you are ever talking about, and you're always wrong -- well, that is the definition of delusional.

Bully13
01-01-2014, 06:45 PM
You guys do not realize how GenesPage you sound when you accuse people of being closet Bears

you do not realize how ghey you sound when you speak; think or leave; that is the choice you have over here

Dawg61
01-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Good read but his recruiting strategy smells more like Ron Polk than John Cohen. O'Leary would sign any 4-5* player that wanted to go to UCF. They don't so he's got his ass covered by saying he doesn't recruit stars. Bullshit. The top 300 players have stars and O'Leary would sign them just like any other coach would. Don't forget this is the same guy that Notre Dame hired and then had to fire 5 days later because he lied all over his resume.

smootness
01-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Good read but his recruiting strategy smells more like Ron Polk than John Cohen. O'Leary would sign any 4-5* player that wanted to go to UCF. They don't so he's got his ass covered by saying he doesn't recruit stars. Bullshit. The top 300 players have stars and O'Leary would sign them just like any other coach would. Don't forget this is the same guy that Notre Dame hired and then had to fire 5 days later because he lied all over his resume.

I don't agree that he would sign ANY top player who wanted to go to UCF. He obviously wouldn't avoid them all, as he recruited well at GT. but there is definitely a lot of truth behind bringing in guys who fit who you are and what you do. Obviously you want the most talented players you can get who are also the right fit, but it's hard to argue with his success. We need to continue to improve recruiting, but that will come the more we can establish ourselves as a winning program. I don't want to change a whole lot about our approach to recruiting.

You recruit like Ole Miss does, and you reap what you sow. They've proven that.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2014, 07:03 PM

Yeah, sounding Genespagish is probably last among things I care about. #whogivesashit

HoopsDawg
01-01-2014, 07:03 PM
YOU are the dipshit, dipshit..posing as a dog while bearing other loyalties... go **** yourself to hell **********

Oh my. That drew a true L-O-L.

bluelightstar
01-01-2014, 07:52 PM
you do not realize how ghey you sound when you speak; think or leave; that is the choice you have over here

Good Lord, I am amazed that our university awards degrees to individuals like that.

And again, this all sounds good, but the bottom line: we need to recruit better. Our current recruiting is going to keep us more often than not a fair team. Classes like what 2015 are shaping up to be are necessary to take a next step.

ShotgunDawg
01-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Good Lord, I am amazed that our university awards degrees to individuals like that.

And again, this all sounds good, but the bottom line: we need to recruit better. Our current recruiting is going to keep us more often than not a fair team. Classes like what 2015 are shaping up to be are necessary to take a next step.

I completely agree that we need to recruit better, but we won't get desired effect of recruiting better unless we get kids to come here for the right reasons.

We get kids to come here for "football reasons" by continuing to do what we are doing. Winning and putting players in the NFL.

There aren't any shortcuts to acquiring better talent and actually winning more games because of it. Recruiting through social or financial means will usually net you players that either own you or care more about social things than football. My guess is that if you look at many of OM's best players, they went there for football reasons and not social or financial reasons.

Our current 2015 commits have committed to us because of our Fooball program and it's success. Not because of money or girls.

State82
01-01-2014, 08:52 PM
I completely agree that we need to recruit better, but we won't get desired effect of recruiting better unless we get kids to come here for the right reasons.

We get kids to come here for "football reasons" by continuing to do what we are doing. Winning and putting players in the NFL.

There aren't any shortcuts to acquiring better talent and actually winning more games because of it. Recruiting through social or financial means will usually net you players that either own you or care more about social things than football. My guess is that if you look at many of OM's best players, they went there for football reasons and not social or financial reasons.

Our current 2015 commits have committed to us because of our Fooball program and it's success. Not because of money or girls.

Good point, Shotgun, and very telling. Also, good find on that article.