PDA

View Full Version : MSU True Freshmen

Bully Dee Williams
12-31-2013, 05:58 PM
So, Samuel, Shump, Clayborn, Wilson, and Chris Jones are all over the place and not one word is mentioned of our recruiting.

I will just have to take solace in winning games and blowing suckers out of the water. Getting wooly for 2014!

maroonmania
12-31-2013, 06:57 PM
Apparently our recruits weren't ranked high enough to get mentioned. Ranking trumps actual production on the field with them.

esplanade91
12-31-2013, 07:33 PM
Samuel might have been a highly ranked guy (and probably wouldn't have signed with MSU) had he qualified. No one cares about how good a player was in high school though... IT'S ABOUT THE STARS, MAN!

A whole mass of fans put more weight on what an alcoholic probable child molester say about a high school athlete than how well the athlete actually plays.

Ronny
12-31-2013, 07:51 PM
.. (as well as the rest of the national sports media) is only allowed to harp on our cowbells.

How many freshmen we have playing goes against the established national sports media's belief that Ole Miss is king of recruiting in the state of MS & goes unchallenged by Miss. State.

Bully Dee Williams
12-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Samuel might have been a highly ranked guy (and probably wouldn't have signed with MSU) had he qualified. No one cares about how good a player was in high school though... IT'S ABOUT THE STARS, MAN!

A whole mass of fans put more weight on what an alcoholic probable child molester say about a high school athlete than how well the athlete actually plays.

Amen! I love our team and am happy with the way our program is progressing.

esplanade91
12-31-2013, 08:36 PM
Look, the quicker our fans realize that NO ONE gives a shit about Ole Miss AND Mississippi State the quicker our fans can focus on Mississippi State. I work at The North Face in Manhattan while I look for a job back down in Nashville (possibly you?) and not only have I bothered every single one of my co-workers every day about Mississippi State blah blah blah or even bought my secret Santa official Adidas MSU gear, every single time someone comes in speaking with a southern accent they ask where they're from because one of the guys who works here went to Ole Miss... despite 1/2 of them being well versed on college sports (mostly basketball, where they would know more about MSU than them) they think Ole Miss, Mississippi, and Mississippi State are the same school. An old couple I spent 2 hours with the other day from Chattanooga (I'm from the coast so I don't necessarily speak with a southern accent, so anytime anyone comes in with one I ask them where they're from and let them know I'm a Mississippian) were paying their grandson's tuition for next year to Ole Miss (class of '18), and when they asked if my alma mater was playing in a bowl and I explained that we were playing in a bowl because we beat Ole Miss and what-not they a) didn't know we were in the SEC b) didn't know there were 2 SEC schools in Mississippi c) didn't know Ole Miss had lost a game against a school named Mississippi State. They told me he just wanted to go to a reasonably priced school in the SEC because he loved watching football. His only requirement. No one in his entire family knew that there were 2 SEC schools in Mississippi.

Ole Miss has this mythical "WORLD RENOWNED!" square and campus because 99% of the people who went/go there are insecure about Mississippi and us (Mississippians) being the worst in every ****ing thing. I live in the USA's largest city and I'm very proud of where I'm from and bring up Mississippi every change I get but I get the same reaction ever single ****ing time... that I'm fortunate to be in NYC, I'm elite to be educated, and thank god you got out. Ole Miss fans have this false sense that the world sees them as well mannered, well dressed, old south mother ****ers. Otherwise they don't know the difference between the two of us. Our alumni chapters here are both existent but pitiful, and that's sad because there are a lot of both of us here. I was talking to a customer for 45 minutes about a week ago before we both realized that we were both from Gulfport, both from about a block away, both went to GHS, but we went to UM/MSU. When I asked him if he watched the Egg Bowl he said no, that the last game he watched was the LSU game, and that Auburn was our true rival...

It's a mask. Just like recruiting is a mask. When a recruit that Alabama/LSU/Texas A&M's beat writers write about chooses Ole Miss it reinforces their idea that the land of cotton, seersucker suits, talking like the great Gatsby, or 1960's fraternities are THE shit. Mississippi is a shit hole that can only be loved and enjoyed by Mississippians or guys from like places in the southeast, and I resent the idea that somehow we're fancy and elite... yet that's what their lawyer daddies taught them to need to hear. When a guy from Greenwood or East Bumble**** decide to stay home no one bats an eye.

Forgive ESPN, because they honestly just don't give a shit to learn the different between us. If Iowa State had been known for culture in the 1940's Iowa would get the same service.